Your most disappointing game experiences

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

For the sake of passing the time while im grading a few papers i though this up. Hopefully its not a repeat of an active thread. Top 3-5 most disappointing gaming experiences and why.

Honorable mentions- Dragon Age 2, Grand Theft Auto 4, The Bouncer, Jade Empire, Matrix revolutions and many more.

5- "Next gen" Madden series. I know that on a "real gamer" site Madden is it that shall not be named, but for sports/football fans like myself, this console generation has been one dissapointment after another. The game still doesnt have all the features from madden 2005...SMH

4- Metal Gear Solid 4- I said to myself as soon as I saw the PS3 coming that I would buy it when MGS4 came out. Boy was that a regretfull purchase. 30 hours of game, 10 hours of gameplay. I dont know why this, Azuras Wrath, Allan Wake, and im sure plenty of others get full priced releases when a movie ticket costs 10 dollars.

3- Soul Calibur 5- Fighting games have always been my thing. Unlike many, i am a book reading, frame learning fanatic just short of entering pro tourneys (the highest level of comp takes the fun out) . As such the less complex/more noob friendly a fighter is the less interested i am in it. SC4 was near perfection, SC5 was made for the newbs and not the fans.

2-TIE!- The first Ninja Turtles/Xmen Games. Im probably showing my age here, but I begged for a Nintendo just to play the Ninja Turtles game, and I begged for a Genesis for the Xmen game a few years later. Both times I was forced to grow up a little.

1-Final Fantasy 13- I'm sure im beating a dead horse, and I know there is a lot of argument on this one. For me the biggest issue was that I was new to JRPGs and had played pretty much everyone of not in the 2-3 years prior to this and was incredibly anxious for FF13 only to get... what we got. For the record i got about 15 hours in before i traded it in.

Now lets share in the misery as many of us pray that Mass Effect 3 does not make me change my list.

I want to keep this as short as possible:

Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising

Thank you

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II- It felt like a demo, rather than a full-blown game. I enjoyed it, but I certainly regret paying full price for one of the shortest games I have ever played.

Homefront- See above. A lot was made of the plot, the campaign, and Milius' participation, and all for a short campaign that ends just as it's getting good.

Freelancer- I despise this game... I never imagined that Starlancer would get a sequel, and to me, it never did. This game has nothing of what made its precursor great.

Brink/Bulletstorm- The two shooters that promised to inovate and deliver a fresh shooter experience ended up being the two most generic, bland, boring shooters I played all of last year.

There are more. But I'll save those for later.

The Force Unleashed. Like Yahtzee, I decided to get it for the Wii so I could swing around the Wii-mote like a saber and wreck a bunch of the in-game environment using the Force. I never got to do either of those things. Come on, Prime 3 showed us you could have an immersive (or at least somewhat-immersive; YMMV) Wii game.

Also: Supreme Commander 2. They sacrificed everything that made the game great to make it more accessible. Who makes an RTS accessible!? Take a look at Forged Alliance. It was the cream of the crop; proof that it was possible improve the series further. Then they took a step backwards and stumbled into the dirt. To top it off, they got Square Enix to do the story. I'm in it for control of massive automated fleets of tanks and mechs, so I'd say decent characterization isn't high on my priority list.

Rounding off the list is Assassin's Creed: Revelations. It's a good game, but it comes off as a bit of a lackluster rehash. Not much more to say.

The latest:

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

I had read about the amount of realism and effort put into it pre-release, and then a friend of mine praised it to no limit. I watched a few trailers, read about it, and finally was convinced to buy it after a few days of not being sure. The result: it's complete crap. Sure it's realistic in small ways, but it's very heavy and badly optimized considering the graphics and quality. The actual combat is pure shit to a FPS veteran and it was in no way worth it. The AI in single player is off the walls, breaking any immersion instantly. Multiplayer is broken and not fun at all to summarize it. Latency plays a massive role. And I was looking forward to a realistic FPS. The most outrageous thing is that the other team is clearly overpowered, and even the developers have stated that it is so because of the actual weapons at the time were better on axis side. Completely wasted money.

MrShowerHead:
I want to keep this as short as possible:

Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising

Thank you

Second that. I got it late on a Steam sale for like 4 €, but it still was a complete disappointment. The original Operation Flashpoint was fantastic in its time.

Dead Island - I am a huge fan of Borderlands and practically loved the FPS-RPG-Diablo style. Then i saw Dead Island and thought it could be a little interesting. But as you play you see how the enemy variety can be counted with a single hand, how the characters dont have mayor differences aside from their special attack. Boring, long, impossible.

Kingdom Hearts II - Well, i kinda liked it, but the reason i list it it's because of how it went from an ARPG in the first instalment to a normal hack n' slash with QTEs where the only magic you would need is Cure, Magnet and Thunder, then use all the fusions and smash constantly X. Oh, and Summoning is next to useless. Aside, the story was going too childishly and with characters dant don't do anything. Just compare the final bosses: While Ansem was pretty tough and required time and a good use of Magic and Summons (Tinkerbell was a must), Xemnas was only needed ti smash Attack, dodge and cure. yeah, Xemnas was flashy and had light, and you could send him an entire skyscraper, but that doesn't make a good game, it just make it simpler for new players.

Blue Dragon - It's like a bad Chrono Trigger wannabe. History was dumb and for kids, combat system was slow and don't give a lot of strategy. That's the base of a RPG game, but this game failed so much i couldnt stand to go more further than the very beginning of the second disc. At least Mistwalker did their homework and came back with Lost Oydssey, which is just like the real Final Fantasy VII.

Let see-
Alone in the Dark. The Wii version look horrible compared to the 360 version and I was mislead like the fire physis and combining weapons are not feature on the Wii version.

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon. Ok sure it look good consider that it's a updated version of Marth first game but update in apperances only. Why the hell did they not add brief character bio, support and all the rest of the moden Fire Emblem series had used. This would added more depth and enrich the game futher.

Solatorobo: Red The Hunter. Sure the game was fun but overall it was easy to play and it lack of a real sense of replay value (sure you can play again to upgrade the robot futher but what's the point when the game is already easy).

Marvel Ultimate Alliance II, Never played the first one but the thought of playing as like 40 marvel characters! awesome.

I made it about half way through the tutorial level and so incredibly bored.

Since another thread made me think about it, Spyro: A New Beginning. I started playing expecting a Spyro game, with good ol' Spyro and his attitude-filled 90s voice, Sparx and his subtitled buzzing, and a game full of 3D platforming and mowing down enemies with charges and flames. What I got was a watered down Spyro with no spunk, a repulsively irritating Sparx, and a game with next to no platforming and a battle system closer to Final Fantasy XII than any Spyro game.

Mass Effect. Before playing it I'd been told it was the greatest RPG ever by pretty much every review I'd read with great story and a deep setting and all the traditional buzz Bioware games get, having recently come off playing Bioshock which had gottn similar praise and had blown me away with how good it was I eagerly played it. Then I actually played it and found it bland, predictable and poorly written. In retrospect I probably judged it more harshly than I should have, that I played it immediately after finishing Fallout for the first time is probably a big reason it dissapointed me so much.

I gotta say the orange box, I've been hearing people say how great it was for months and I was excited as hell to finally play it, only to find out that it was just ok.

The Last Remnant for xbox.

Good Gravy, I could live with the lag,
the horribly broken ailment mechanichs,
the "no direct control over your command" inputs,
and even the severe difficulty spikes.
But the opague and redundant levelling system. No, bad game.

Command and Conquer 4 - Everything was disappointing and terrible. Stupid always online BS. So many pointless gameplay changes that makes it deviate so far from previous games. What idiot wrote the story? It's really obvious that the game's budget was a lot less than C&C 3. All the sets in the cutscenes looked cheap and Kane's costume looked like crap, it looked like a jacket they took off of a hobo. What a terrible send off for Kane.

Heroes of Might and Magic 6 - Stupid always online BS again. Much bigger emphasis on the story than previous Heroes games but the story is terrible and very poorly written. Previous Heroes games may not have great writing, except for Heroes 4 and parts of Heroes 3, but there wasn't as much of an emphasis on the plot and the writing was at least passable. Heroes 6's writing was painful to get through. Pointless gameplay changes that detract from the game rather than add to it. It just struck me as really lazy to consolidate all the rare resources into one. In previous games, they've always added new uses to the rare resources. In Heroes 2, they added trading posts that lets you trade rare resources. In Heroes 3, they let you trade rare resources for artifacts at the artifact merchant and creatures at the Freelancer's Guild. In Heroes 4, they added magic stores that let you buy spells with rare resources. In Heroes 5, they added faction abilities that used rare resources. There's so much more they can still do with them like all the features that were added in the Wake of the Gods mod.

For the love of everything it has to be every end game side quest in Arkham City. Oh shit Bane's got a bunch of titan oh we don't have a boss fight. Who's the mysterious figure, oh a crappy cliffhanger for the next game. Oh no we have to stop Dead Shot, damnit we have one crappy stealth section.

First of all, Alan Wake is totally fucking awesome and there's a perfect blend of story and gameplay.

Second of all: Homefront. I picked it up dirt cheap so I was expecting SOME cheap entertainment...oh was I wrong. Dear God it was horrible.

KingofMadCows:
Command and Conquer 4 - Everything was disappointing and terrible. Stupid always online BS. So many pointless gameplay changes that makes it deviate so far from previous games. What idiot wrote the story? It's really obvious that the game's budget was a lot less than C&C 3. All the sets in the cutscenes looked cheap and Kane's costume looked like crap, it looked like a jacket they took off of a hobo. What a terrible send off for Kane.

How could I forget that... that game felt like a massive FUCK YOU to every C&C fan out there.

Fallout 3/NewVegas and Brink.

Dark Souls. Between the hype the people gave me about the game, and my utter lack of enjoyment with it, I haven't been that displeased with a purchase since FF13. I am so utterly pissed I bought that game. I understand the game is difficult. But there if there is no fucking reason for the difficulty other then "I did this" cred, then whats the fucking point? At least give me more xp, or better armor, or something. This game was the biggest piece of shit I've played in a long time.

BENZOOKA:
Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

real quick off topic: what is your icon saying? she's talking too fast for me to read her lips.

back on topic: RO2 wasn't great, but i loved the first-person cover system. it wasn't perfect, but it was nice to see someone try it. oh, and i aslo got another full soviet campaign. Za Rodinu!

my biggest disappointment was probably probably either Oblivion of Pokemon Black/White.
black/white weren't bad (far from it actually), just harder than their predecessors. they seemed to change the way experience is earned so that you earn a lot less xp from wild pokemon you've seen before, making power-leveling more time consuming. again, not bad, it just made it more challenging. at one point, i got to a gym i couldn't beat but i couldn't level up because there were no trainers around.

oblivion was because of hype. i had really high hopes for it because all my friends loved it, but when i played it it played like fallout3 with only melee weapons. it just seemed clunky and awkward. skyrim was a lot better, though. not perfect, but damn near.

kman123:
First of all, Alan Wake is totally fucking awesome and there's a perfect blend of story and gameplay.

Have to agree somewhat with Alan Wake, that game was really quite enjoyable, but why did you bring it up? I didn't see any other mentions of it in this thread.

OT: Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Not because it was a bad game, far from it, it's just that I got so caught up in the insane amounts of hype it completely let me down. That sounds rather stupid and unfair, which it is, that's why I try to avoid hype usually.

For me, it was Wrecking Crew. I was expecting some cool action game, but all they gave me was a puzzle game that was not all that good. I like puzzle games, but this one was just so much of a snore that I wish I could have my 500 Wii points refunded (yes, I spend most of money on the Virtual Console because it is much cheaper than buying new games).

I'm with you on Metal Gear Solid 4, I thought MGS2 was just a bad fluke after MGS3 did really well but god, I wouldn't mind the 30 hours of cutscenes if they were any bloody good. And Raiden's return, pah. But after MGS2 I never had THAT much faith in Metal Gear, I always suspected it would completely lose it.

Biggest disappointment that went against every expectation has to be Modern Warfare 2. God, COD4 was so good, it was raw, authentic, so well paced in both the single player and the multiplayer yet the sequel just went crazy. Dual-weld G-18s everywhere, tactical nukes and endless waves of overpowered air-support.

I didn't hate Modern Warfare 2, but as fas as disappointment of how far down actuality came from expectation it's up/down there with MGS2.

Brink & Dragon Age 2.

Brink looked great, but it wasn't... it was terrible. The original Dragon Age was amazing, so I expected the sequel to be even better, it wasn't. This is on consoles, mind you. The combat was repetitive, the story was incoherent, and there was no sense of building tension. It was like 3 or 4 short, mediocre games in one.

Oh, and the bad guys should stop restocking & living in that one cave/house. I must've cleared those two places like 30 times each. Bad guys, right? Yeeeeeeesh...

Edit: surprised to see people didn't like MGS4. I loved that game. MGS3 is my favorite, but close behind is MGS4. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried a little bit at the end.

TWO WORDS...
TWO WORLDS

worst game I have ever played.. D:

Only one thing comes to mind, when I played through Deus Ex the first time.

Can't really blame the game for it, but that was definitely the most dissapointing experience I can thing of.

Besides that, I'd give an honorable mention to Grand Theft Auto 4, it really is quite an amazing game, if they wouldn't keep throwing t*tt jokes around the entire time.

Front Mission Evolved.

I'm not sure what there is to say, really. I loved all of the Turn-Based Front Mission games (even and indeed ESPECIALLY FM4), but I like robot action games too so I was happy to give FM:E a chance, but it was short, boring, and... well... short.

FF13: yeah it's almost 2 years old but it was just so fucking boring, and the main reason it sucked was the unholy boring combat system, anything else that wasn't that good I could tolerate easily enough (except vanille she was fucking because of her wretched fucking voice) and the main cast were not very interesting and should have followed more interesting protagonists.

Soulcaliber V: The graphics and gameplay is top-notch but the horrible story-mode and lack of other characters story mode left no reason to keep playing it.

Rage, I had such high hopes for the game and I needed up having to force myself to finish it.

MW2, I was ape-shit for this game and I was in denial for about the first 3 week's telling myself it was so great, then it hit me hard that the game was just suck.

Pokemon Black/White, it has the least interesting generation of pokemon.

Gonna get flamed to hell for this, but I don't care:

DotA 2

I played DotA for a long time and 2-3 years almost exclusively, from EX all the way through Allstars 6.something. I got into the beta, really excited to see what Valve did with it, and the answer is nothing. I'm playing on my 10 year old engine with nothing different from WC3. I wanted an updated game where they fixed all the annoying glitches, not a carbon copy that gives nothing to the genre but a better matchmaking system. I was disappointed enough to just straight uninstall it.

Other games that I've uninstalled before beating recently are:

The Witcher - The controls are too bad, menu system is too unintuitive, unplayable game.

Majesty 2 - If I hadn't paid $5 for it I'd be pissed, I loved Majesty 1, and 2 is just an expansion pack with slightly better graphics. There aren't even a lot of new units and those that are suck.

Heroes V - It's just...not as good as the old ones.

Alpha Protocol - I got it for $2 so I'm not THAT mad, but the alarm minigame was just so terrible that I couldn't beat the tutorial. I quit right there.

AlternatePFG:

kman123:

Have to agree somewhat with Alan Wake, that game was really quite enjoyable, but why did you bring it up? I didn't see any other mentions of it in this thread.

OT: Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Not because it was a bad game, far from it, it's just that I got so caught up in the insane amounts of hype it completely let me down. That sounds rather stupid and unfair, which it is, that's why I try to avoid hype usually.

Oh the threat creator was riffing on my beloved Alan Wake.

I would like to state that I didn't hate any of the following. The word "hate" is thrown around far too much these days.However I was disappointed with them. (There is a difference between the two.)

a) Call of Duty modern warfare 2 and onwards. The original modern warfare was great, the campaign was gripping and the multiplayer absorbing. The follow up 'world at war' was pretty good too. But then, year after year the same song and dance. It's a shame really, with all the hate these games receive, anyone could be forgiven for forgetting that this was a good series. Hell, it still is. The games are well made and fun but I've played them before many times. Perhaps what is most upsetting is that the constant barrage of yearly franchise releases is only hurting these great series. For example...

b) Assassins creed revalations. I loved assassins creed 2, but brotherhood felt hollow and tacked on. Revelations felt pointless. I traded the game in the same day I bought it, and I probably won't bother with AC3.

c)Guitar Hero/The whole rock band thing-ma-bob. Again two fun series driven into the ground by constant releases. That and everyone was getting sick of plastic crap clogging up their houses. Dj hero could fuck right off because my closet is full.

d) Tony Hawks series. Same problem as the 3 above. A good idea milked to death. Tony Hawk ride was blasted by critcs and gamers alike but it was proving ground that made me give up on all skateboarding games.

e) Final Fantasy 12. The gambit system...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/09/08

f) Borderlands. I am not saying this is a bad game but my friends and I found it repetitive and when you play singleplayer its hard not to notice that there is NO STORY TO THIS GAME! I am not really into mmorpgs so I am probably not its target audience but it was still a letdown.

g) Tekken 6. Tekken 5 was perfection... tekken 6 was a big step backward... Actually I take back what I said.I FUCKING HATE TEKKEN 6!

My most recent disappointment was Rage. I played Borderlands already.

Mass Effect 2.

Based on the feeling of glory and optimism I got from the end of Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 was the first game in my 25+ years of gaming that I ever pre-ordered. As reward for my purchase, I got tight, brown corridors instead of sweeping alien vistas, mind-numbing planet probing instead of chaotic bouncing exploration, cover-based shooting instead of stat-based awesomeness, and ammunition limits instead of limitless firing potential. And one of the stupidest stories I've ever seen in a game. The "end boss" made me cringe.

Mass Effect set a pretty high bar for me, and Mass Effect 2 not only failed to clear it, but ran smack dab into the bar and gave itself a concussion instead.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked