Are you a fanboy/girl?

*sigh*

When I was a little twerp, I loved Nintendo. Nintendo this, Nintedo that, couldn't get enough of Mario. Lately, I tried to get into Sony, and...failed, really badly. Couldn't get a PS3. Don't really want a Vita. The Sony tablets suck. And I'm on the fence between getting an Xperia Play and some other not-IPhone. And after playing a lot of disappointing 3DS games, I'm getting into it with Sonic Generations.

I don't know what I'm a fan of. Which prompted me to start this thread.

So, are you guys fanboys or fangirls of any particular company? Die hard Xbox lovers? Sony worshipers? Nintendo...synonym for fan? Or do you find console fanboyism stupid?

Fanboyism is childish, but incredibly easy to troll.

Flying Spaghetti Monster preserve them.

No. I just hate the stupid Playstation vs Nintendo vs Xbox vs PC vs Mac vs Gorilla (FTW!!!). I hear this shit all the time on my school bus. I mean they all have there ups and downs. I play xbox 360 but i have a ps3, I just prefer it thats all. As for favourite company then Bioware takes the pot (thats right, COME AT ME BRO!!!).

only games

Mass effect is the one game that still holds "fangirl" status, as in seeing somone say bad things about it causes me to cringe a little inside

I've stayed loyal to the Xbox, but I wouldn't really consider myself a fanboy. I don't jump into threads to defend it, nor do I preach about how it's the be-all-end-all console. I just made my choice back in 2001, 2002 and haven't found a compelling reason to switch.

Zelda's the closest thing I can think of...not ashamed. We all got something.

Fangirl and proud. I am in love with DMC and SMT, I can play those games til my thumbs fall off and it still wouldn't be enough. Not to mention I will defend them if someone says something stupid and ignorant about them.

If you are just talking about consoles, I don't have any loyalty but after evaluating all consoles I still picked playstations every gen. They have the best games and that's what I judge a console on.

As much as I hate to admit it, yes, I am a fanboy of quite a few things.

Namely Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy VII and IX, the Metal Gear Solid series, and Mass Effect series. To name a few.

Although I try to make sure to not let that side of me get the better of me. Everyone has their own opinion on what games are good or bad and I respect that. Of course it does irk me a little bit from the inside when someone unfairly bashes a game I like.

Personaly i find the whole concept more worrisome than stupid, after all fan is just short hand for fanatic, anyone who openly admits to this without knowing the full extent of the meaning should be slapped, as a word its been far too casualized, to quote Winston Churchill "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject". There is nothing wrong with liking a game series or a console or anything else for that matter, but please dont use the word fan so callously, it implies unhealthy obsessive behaviour and is not a good thing.

Oblivion is the closest thing I can think of. There is a lot of praise, but also a lot of hate aimed at it which makes me upset because the game did a lot for me and I have many memories with it. Although each to their own, I won't go out of my way to shout at someone for not liking the game, always respect the opinion of others.

For me the difference between being a fanboy and just being a fan boils down to one thing: "Has ______ ever disappointed me?"

For example, I consider myself a MegaTen, Pokemon, Saints Row and Ace Attorney fanboy because I've yet to play a game from those franchises that I've disliked.

However, take the Mana series. I loved Secret, Legend is my favorite game ever, Sword was a well done remake, Children was ok...and then Dawn and Heroes came out...and they hurt me deep.

So as far as the Mana series goes I have gone from fanboy to fan.

So it's basically a matter of a perfect record. Once something leaves a negative mark, you can't be a fanboy anymore (or I should say "I" seeing as how this is just my definition)

I'm not one of those people who tries to wave my "fanboy" flag like it's a term to be proud of, but it is something I don't really deny.

Not really, I may drool and cheer for my favorite games, but I don't owe any loyalty to the companies that made them. I love Mass Effect 2, but I'm not a bioware fanboy, I love Dead Space 2, but I'm not a EA fanboy, etc.

I've always been a big Nintendo fan, but I also own a PS2 and PS3; I've never been the 'console warring' type, I just tend to enjoy more nintendo games than any others.

Nintendo fan blood in blood out. Also, I'm an unapologetic fan of Remedy, Bioware, and Bethesda, the latter being from Skyrim to Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

I worship my Bioware shrine on a weekly basis. It used to be daily, but I got lazy.

I'm not really a loyal fan of any particular company, especially console manufacturers. Brand loyalty is simply not a part of my nature, and it's not something I can even comprehend outside of loyalty to particular artists (like game developers or authors). But to creators of non-artistic procucts? It just doesn't make sense to me to love one over another. I'm a fangirl of plenty of games and game franchises, though. Portal, Half-Life, Dead Space, and Fallout are all pretty good examples of series that I love more than is probably healthy. I'm also a pretty big Valve fan, although I don't play any of their multiplayer games.

Also, my captcha is "fine weenbut."

.... Whut.

Seishisha:
Personaly i find the whole concept more worrisome than stupid, after all fan is just short hand for fanatic, anyone who openly admits to this without knowing the full extent of the meaning should be slapped, as a word its been far too casualized, to quote Winston Churchill "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject". There is nothing wrong with liking a game series or a console or anything else for that matter, but please dont use the word fan so callously, it implies unhealthy obsessive behaviour and is not a good thing.

mabye some of us are just being honest *strokes normandy model on desk* ohh Kaiden, you'll always be there for me wont you?

I try not to be everone has a different way to see the world. I try and respect that.

Nope.

If there's one thing I'm good at, it's admitting the flaws in the things I love.

When I was about 15 I had a hard time accepting that the Xbox was more powerful than the PS2, I was what I'd now call a rabid fan boy.

I'be grown up and moved on and now prefer my 360, to the point where we've not replaced our stolen PS3 in the end because it was such a hassle getting the money from the insurance company that by the time we finally recieved the money we had realised the only thing we missed was Play TV.

I still prefer the PS2 to the Xbox if only for the library.

Oh, and OP: the iPhone is actually pretty awesome. I have a severe distaste for apple in general but they've improved the iPhone to the point were it's as good as any other smart phone by many measures (and honestly, I wouldn't use the functionality it's missing if I had a different phone, hell I don't even use all of the iPhone's functionality) and it's fucking hard to break the 4s (newest one).

Yeah I used to be a Nintendo fanboy but these days they only dissapoint me.

I suppose I am a Guild Wars fanboy but to a certain extent (I won't troll on other people who hate it or stuff like that).

I try not to be. To keep a level and objective view of things.

But I have had good experiences with Sony's and Apple's products, so it probably biases me a little.

That said, I don't think I "worship" them enough to be considered a fanboy. I don't think everything that they touch "turns to gold" and am willing to consider alternatives.

The amount of hate for those 2 companies do get on my nerves though - enough that at times I considered becoming a fanboy just to balance things out.

PS:
I do have a "grudge" against MS however. Their predatory business practices (see Netscape), their "rush to the market, patch it later" mentality (their latest fuck up being the 360; 30% failure rate, seriously WTF!), and overall "slimy" behavior ( http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20071023002351958 http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=2010011422570951 ).

Nintendo, I don't really mind - their fanboys/zealots are bloody annoying though. I just find them "disappointing".

In general, I like companies that make an effort and take the time to make good quality products (I'm paying for said products you know!) - yes I know Sony hasn't been doing so for a while now, but they do seem to be slowly getting some of their mojo back as of late.

Nope. I am not particularly die hard on any front.

Today, I made a detour on my way home to buy Asura's Wrath. I had to choose between the PS3 version or the Xbox one. In this regard, I usually go for Xbox; I like the controller a lot better. Other than that, it's all the same for me.

kinda, bigger fan of sony and playstation like most single player games i play on the ps3 and 360 for MP games

Yes, for certain game series, manga series, bands, artists, a couple of Sirius DJs...

im a huge fanboy of what i call "Old Bioware"

The witcher 2

and Warhammer 40,000

TheDarkEricDraven:

So, are you guys fanboys or fangirls of any particular company? Die hard Xbox lovers? Sony worshipers? Nintendo...synonym for fan? Or do you find console fanboyism stupid?

Of course it's stupid... PC MASTER RACE!

Ok, jokes aside, I used to be a Nintendo fanboy. Subscribed to Nintendo Power and all that. But that was in the Nintendo hay-day of SNES and N64. They started losing me with the Gamecube, and then the Wii, I was done.

While I wouldn't necessarily call myself a "Fanboy", I believe that there are a number of games and companies that get a lot of undeserved hate and will do my best to defend. Biggest examples are probably FFXIII (forget the gameplay and enjoy the story) and Nintendo (someone has to focus on kids if we ever want new gamers).

I just like to play games.

I don't pick favorites unless it's Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, because there will never be a more perfect pair of games.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked