Homosexuality in ME3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Mortai Gravesend:

Pretty sure ads and stories are rather different. It's easy enough to just tack something on for an ad as opposed to writing up the romance and implementing it in a game.

Though seriously, going by your later posts about appealing to demographics, where's your complaint there? It's the same thing. It would be hypocritical to ignore one in favor of the other and really just betray that you want it to appeal to one demographic over another.

It's just a personal gripe.

If people are open to the idea of something that was clearly introduced for its own sake, all the power to them.

I choose to look at it as superfluous, that's all.

Vault101:

TopazFusion:
From memory, the biggest complaint people had was that their Shepard might be "accidentally" homosexual.
That is, the player might inadvertently click dialogue options "a bit too friendly" and spark a love interest where it's not wanted.

Completely off-topic, but I laughed so hard at this video . . .

I really find it hard to sympathise with that

"ahhh! no I might have to see the gaynes! ahhh! noooo! poor meeeeeee!!!! *sob*" I wonder how people would react if I was like that with some girl on girl

ok I know that seems hard but thats how It seems,

your suposed to be MEN for crying out loud, REAL MEN! can stomach the sight of anything!....ummm sorry

as for the video..it was kind of funny but felt a little random and lacking direction

Yeah, making a silly dialogue mistake really is nothing to be worked up over. Imagine the poor gay people who died when they accidentally fell into a heterosexual romance in the first 2 games D=

It's like oh no, they mistook you for gay. As if the opposite doesn't happen to gay people all the time, especially since society seems to assume by default people are straight.

I also noticed in your 4th post in this sequence(Holy quadruple posts Batman!), that you mentioned Thane as a possible love interest? I found him so... uninteresting. I forget about him all the time until people mention him.

I do wish we had the maximum amount of options. They kind of fixed that for Dragon Age 2, where all but three were romance-able, one of them being your character's sibling.
But DA2 is newer than ME2, as far as I know?

Still, I would have liked Tali or Ashley to be an option. Don't much care for Ashley (Especially the whole "WTF Shep" in ME2. I'm in a pro-human group, why aren't you proud?)
And Tali. The voice, man. The voice.

So Liara is all I have. The good news is, I like her character. It's one of the better homosexual relationships in media today. They even have a couple of disagreements in ME2, emulating a real couple working through a real problem. Minimal pandering.

That's what I think, anyway.

Mortai Gravesend:

I also noticed in your 4th post in this sequence(Holy quadruple posts Batman!), that you mentioned Thane as a possible love interest? I found him so... uninteresting. I forget about him all the time until people mention him.

People liked his mystique. I didn't. The fact that his character will die in a year actually made me not bother with him at all. Why care about a character that I'll never see? Considering he wasn't even one of my favored teammates.

GigaHz:

Mortai Gravesend:

Pretty sure ads and stories are rather different. It's easy enough to just tack something on for an ad as opposed to writing up the romance and implementing it in a game.

Though seriously, going by your later posts about appealing to demographics, where's your complaint there? It's the same thing. It would be hypocritical to ignore one in favor of the other and really just betray that you want it to appeal to one demographic over another.

It's just a personal gripe.

If people are open to the idea of something that was clearly introduced for its own sake, all the power to them.

I choose to look at it as superfluous, that's all.

Superfluous to what? The story? Such a comment would apply to the other romances just as easily. Those were clearly introduced just to appeal to people. In fact most of the entire thing was introduced to appeal to people. Still, I'm pretty doubtful they did it for its own sake. It's part of an existing thing they have, romances. Simply expanded.

Mortai Gravesend:

Superfluous to what? The story? Such a comment would apply to the other romances just as easily. Those were clearly introduced just to appeal to people. In fact most of the entire thing was introduced to appeal to people. Still, I'm pretty doubtful they did it for its own sake. It's part of an existing thing they have, romances. Simply expanded.

Well yeah, that's exactly it. I believe all of the romance options are Superfluous. They have to be, none of the relationships are canon. (Just don't say that too loudly around hardcore fans)

All I was trying to say before was that the options that I had explored in the previous games hadn't indicated any homosexual interest in the male Shepard character. Deciding to include these options in the last game of all places, comes off as just a little more tacked on then it needs to be. Take from that what you will, that's just how I view it.

GigaHz:
All I was trying to say before was that the options that I had explored in the previous games hadn't indicated any homosexual interest in the male Shepard character. Deciding to include these options in the last game of all places, comes off as just a little more tacked on then it needs to be. Take from that what you will, that's just how I view it.

Maybe not, but it's perfectly viable that someone could have played a homosexual ManShep and just not romanced anyone in the previous two games. For those players, it wouldn't be tacked on.

Mortai Gravesend:

Vault101:

TopazFusion:
From memory, the biggest complaint people had was that their Shepard might be "accidentally" homosexual.
That is, the player might inadvertently click dialogue options "a bit too friendly" and spark a love interest where it's not wanted.

Completely off-topic, but I laughed so hard at this video . . .

"ahhh! no I might have to see the gaynes! ahhh! noooo! poor meeeeeee!!!! *sob*" I wonder how people would react if I was like that with some girl on girl

your suposed to be MEN for crying out loud, REAL MEN! can stomach the sight of anything!....ummm sorry

as for the video..it was kind of funny but felt a little random and lacking direction

Yeah, making a silly dialogue mistake really is nothing to be worked up over. Imagine the poor gay people who died when they accidentally fell into a heterosexual romance in the first 2 games D=

It's like oh no, they mistook you for gay. As if the opposite doesn't happen to gay people all the time, especially since society seems to assume by default people are straight.

like I said, how do you think people would rect if I was saying "uggghh I dont want to see lesbians thats disgusting!"...eh anyway

and yeah I know I kind of high jacked my own thread...

I think Thanes intended charm worked om me :P, though not first time around because I was wierded out by the Idea of femshep and aliens

Vault101:

Mortai Gravesend:

Vault101:

like I said, how do you think people would rect if I was saying "uggghh I dont want to see lesbians thats disgusting!"...eh anyway

and yeah I know I kind of high jacked my own thread...

I think Thanes intended charm worked om me :P, though not first time around because I was wierded out by the Idea of femshep and aliens

Well personally I'd be cracking up if I saw someone react the way you first stated it. But yes, I think less bias towards lesbians might make it obvious that such a reaction has some clear homophobic overtones. Good comparison.

And I shall have to pay closer attention to Thane next time. Instead of thinking of him as that guy I need to also do a loyalty mission for just for completeness sake and a perfect run.

GigaHz:

Mortai Gravesend:

Well yeah, that's exactly it. I believe all of the romance options are Superfluous. They have to be, none of the relationships are canon. (Just don't say that too loudly around hardcore fans)

Well honestly, thinking over it... what's wrong with superfluous in that context? Stories don't need to be bare bones. You can add other elements to them. Doesn't all have to be driven towards the end.

Well now he does indicate it. Does it really matter where it happens? It's not as if Shepard is some in depth multifaceted well-developed and set in stone character. Shepard's what we choose to make him/her based on the options they give us. Hard to change the personality of someone who had a somewhat variable one in the first place.

I really love Garrus, but yea I agree he would be a little intimidating in bed. So I guess I'll just stick with Liara. Still, some people were complaining that they couldn't bone Garrus so Bioware put it in.

its not like it forces you into a Homosexual relationship. if you don't want to be apart of then thats fine.

Zack Alklazaris:
I really love Garrus, but yea I agree he would be a little intimidating in bed. So I guess I'll just stick with Liara. Still, some people were complaining that they couldn't bone Garrus so Bioware put it in.

and thats my point (also I know nothing about Turin anatomy..but uh just going by what you see of them It seems like it could be...painful)

uh as I was saying, I dont see Garrus and femshep "together" they are just freinds, and he's somone shepard trusts, somone who she would want fighting by her side

hence why my shepard never did and probably wont roamnce Garrues (well mabye, eventually)

but some people DO see them together

and Im not complaing because I CAN romance Garrus, because (surprise surprise) having the option there changes nothing

Romances (both kind) are there as a form of fanservice to female players. Biowhore games have tons of female fans.

Anthraxus:
Romances (both kind) are there as a form of fanservice to female players. Biowhore games have tons of female fans.

Yeah, those romances totally ruined the Baldur's Gate games.

Man, they were so shit. God damn Biowhore, huh?

I never understood what made this a big deal in the first place. The romantic relationships never seemed like a make or break feature. I'm happy that this is now an option but did it need a big announcement?

Meh. Options are there, take them or leave them. I care less about peoples sexuality in games than I do in real life, which is to say, not at all. If it's legal, bump uglies with anyone you like. Although, a pox on anyone who says homosexual options in RPGs is destroying children's innocence or something.

To quote MovieBob: "It is the 11th year of the 21st century. If your child still doesn't know that gay people exist, that isn't innocence, that's ignorance."

I'm gay and I love Mass Effect, so of course the fact that there are finally gay MALE relationships is a great thing.

You know that for every thread we start about this, either "defending" or "complaining", we are just feeding the huge debacle and controversy.
So if you feel that it shouldn't matter whether or not homosexuality is an in-game option or not, STOP CREATING THE GODDAMN THREADS AND ACCEPT IT AS A PART OF NATURE:

Seriously, for fuck sake.

It would be fun to watch Vega (that's his name, right?) try to woo Femshep.

*Femshep enters Vega's cabin to find him shirtless and curling a barbell*
"What'cha think about that?"
*dialogue wheel: lets chose to go with the clumsy come-on*
"Sweet," says Vega "You DTF?"
*Chooses to initiate coitus. The lights dim and after the cinematics it cuts to Femshep leaving the room to the sound of thunderous snores*

As for homosexuality in ME3 I would be open to it if it was an option and not just thrown at you if you chose to be a male character. That was another thing I didn't really like about DA2 (but I don't think that writer was/is too involved with ME3). It was really off putting to get into a dialogue with another male like Anders or, whats-'is-name-Final-Fantasy-Elf; one who hints that he likes me and one who's so aggressively against me that he might as well be wearing a neon sign which reads "Please Love Me" (oh if only Varric wanted my male Hawke...)

GigaHz:

Vault101:

Reading into that I pretty much got "yah but it caters to THIS group so theres no problem....but there is a problem if it caters to another group"

or fan-service is fine if its for the "young white males" but putting in some gayness that could possibly be apealing to another isnt ok

It sounds terrible to admit to but yes, it isn't ok. Simply because it goes against the intended demographic.

Only if you assume that the only intended demographic is young, straight males.

I don't know what rock you live under, but...That's not been the only demographic in gaming for awhile now. And clearly it isn't the only intended one, since the options are in there in the first place.

Check your privledge, please.

My biggest issue right now is, i always play FemShep. And since ME1 i've been knockin boots with Liara. But after playing the demo, and seeing the new trailer i kinda like the look of Ashley.

WHY IS PIXEL LOVE SO COMPLICATED!

as for the atcual topic, read this;

Realitycrash:
You know that for every thread we start about this, either "defending" or "complaining", we are just feeding the huge debacle and controversy.
So if you feel that it shouldn't matter whether or not homosexuality is an in-game option or not, STOP CREATING THE GODDAMN THREADS AND ACCEPT IT AS A PART OF NATURE:

The Mass Effect series would be better if Shepard was asexual or a turkey or something.

Somonah:
My biggest issue right now is, i always play FemShep. And since ME1 i've been knockin boots with Liara. But after playing the demo, and seeing the new trailer i kinda like the look of Ashley.

WHY IS PIXEL LOVE SO COMPLICATED!

as for the atcual topic, read this;

Realitycrash:

thats a little shallow dont you think? :P

Vault101:
and there is no "canon"

There is Cannon, persomal cannon

Mass effect is great video gaming story beacuse it's your charactor your shepard, you want shepard to be male he is you want you shepard to female she is. you want you shepard to play by the rules s/he does be a rengade fine gay, straght into aleins humans, it's up to you as the player to choose. just because you can have a gay shepard doesn't mean you must

This is just like the multiplayer, people are complaining right now but once they get a taste of future man love they'll be all, "Holy crap, this is so much fun!"

Now hopefully BioWare balanced the classes cause it's no good if you have to take turns being the Sentinel.

This subject sure gets a lot of attention. Why do people care so much about one programed image "dating" another image, because they resemble two of the same gender?

Cheery Lunatic:
I don't really give a damn about the homosexual option as long as you can't just easily trip into a relationship with your bro (and this goes with any romance period - I had this problem in ME2. I thought a dialogue option was just me being nice. lolnope)

Seriously, make it harder to romance people. So you actually have to TRY instead of you're talking to someone and suddenly you're in their pants.

thats my opinion as well. from dragon age to mass effect.. huh what do you mean im in a relationship with them and have to choose? since when?

I felt the ME2 romance was just "meh". Really took no effert beyond completing the loyalty mission and talking to them before the Omega Relay. However, I have one male shepard thats loved Liara and One Female shepard that fell for Thane... I think she has a thing for the terminal ill assassin with a heart of gold type...

TopazFusion:

I can kind of see the accidental thing actually hapening, sort of. Like with the Jacob dialogue options for Femshep. I click a couple of what I thought were small talk options and she just throws herself at him. Man, Femshep, did not think you were that kind of girl. Though fearing accidental homosexuality specifically as opposed to accidental romance/flirtation (for RPers) is less of a legitimate reason.

It's an option. So who cares? Why such an uproar over something thats OPTIONAL. God forbid people who think differently get to enjoy a game the way they want to play it.

GigaHz:
I don't think you can prove the first point, otherwise they would have tried to feature elements of it in the second one, which they didn't (unless someone CAN provide evidence they've hinted at it).

Don't ask me for a link (don't have one on hand) but as I recall the developers (ie Bioware) has stated that they intended Shep to have all romance options from the start, but couldn't because the Underpants Model who MaleShep is based on refused to have anything "gay" associated with him.

They tried again in ME2, but hit the same wall because they needed the guy to come back for ME3.

Now that ME3 is here, they no longer have to keep Mr. Underpants happy, so they can now provide the options that they always intended to.

IF you need a link, Google it.

Oh, and OT:

To summarize my usual rant on this: this gives the player more Freedom. Freedom in games is Good. People need to stop bitching about this already - it's a good thing to have more options in a game.

Vault101:
ohhh boy..here we go...

ok as you can figure this is inspried by that little debarcle going on the with Bioware writer..even though apaerently shes got nothing to do with ME3..but thats not the point

now Ill say I know VERY LITTLE about ME3 and i'd actually like to keep it that way (and yes it seems odd that Im doing an ME3 thread..but anyway), I do know (obviously) that shepard can come out of the closet

so heres what I think

I dont think its really an issue

1. because it was intended from ME1 but obviously they cut it out

2. you can fuck Aliens... seriously, take a look at garrus, he's a nice guy but he looks like a velocipator cross with a xenomorph..and femshep can totally get it on with that. Not only Garrus but femsehp can get it on with Liara, oh SURE she's not "technically" female but lets not play around here, thats just Bioware dancing around the issue (and what about kelly chambers? oh right never mind her..move along)

so my point with that is why not? lets make things "eaqual" lets not play around, gay relationships exist, lets not pretend they dont

3. ROLE PLAYING

and this one I cant stress enough, it seems easy to forget that underneith everything ,ME was originally a role playing game

and there is no "canon"

So that means that YOU decide what shepard is like...My femshep has no interest in Aliens, what so ever, just because the game gives me the option does NOT make it true, she's not going to screw Garrus and she never will or even consider screwing Garrus, or ashley or Liara

so from that as far as Im concerned my Femshep is straight

just like now maleshep and be as straight and gay as YOU want

and thats my opinion..whats yours? (god forbid)

its pandering. Shepard isn't gay

nikki191:

Cheery Lunatic:
I don't really give a damn about the homosexual option as long as you can't just easily trip into a relationship with your bro (and this goes with any romance period - I had this problem in ME2. I thought a dialogue option was just me being nice. lolnope)

Seriously, make it harder to romance people. So you actually have to TRY instead of you're talking to someone and suddenly you're in their pants.

thats my opinion as well. from dragon age to mass effect.. huh what do you mean im in a relationship with them and have to choose? since when?

I don't see how you could accidentally get into a relationship in either of the Dragon Age games, maybe you're thinking of Dragon Warrior.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButThouMust

People are afraid that if they play games that have optional homosexual encounters between the characters, they will turn gay. As such, they don't want it in the game lest they get "tainted".
I wish I was kidding.

I have yet to convince anyone in Mass Effect to sleep with my Shepard. It is a good thing I am married in RL or I would start to seriously doubt my abilities to have a sexual relationship with another human.

Anyways, I think that my Shepard is going to be so hard up for a lay that they are going to sleep with anyone or thing, so homosexual relationships should be interesting.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked