52% (423)
No
23.1% (188)
23.1% (188)
Don't really care
24.1% (196)
24.1% (196)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Anyone else hate the Skyrim animal races?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

New Frontiersman:

Strain42:
I like the Lizard dudes I'm probably going to play as one. Not necessarily because I like them, but because if my character is supposed to be Dragonborn I want to make my character at least look like there's some relation lol

That's actually one of the reasons I picked an Argonian as my first character in Skyrim, I thought it fit.

On topic though, I like them. It's a fantasy game, it doesn't have to make evolutionary sense why there are cat and lizard people around nor does it have to make sense why there are pointy eared people around.

Aaaaactually, the dragon blood means you're related to Alessia, also known as the chick who founded the first Empire by rebelling against Umaril the Unfettered and the Ayleids. Among her army was Pelinal Whitestrake, the demi-god/avatar/thing who killed Umaril the first time and had the sweet crusader gear from the Oblivion DLC. Anyway, she then founded the religion of the 8 Divines and allegedly was granted some of Akatosh's blood. Her descendants carry on the blood of Akatosh, which so happens to include notable individuals such as Talos, Martin Septim, and you.

So what this amounts to is that you're part time dragon god, are probably eligible for the throne of the Empire, and you don't have to feel bad about killing dragons as an Argonian because they aren't really your relatives.

Admittedly, I find it hard to believe that the Dragonborn is a...cat, or a lizard, but I think the animal races are good to have, because it's more choice, it fits with the world of Skyrim, and Argonians are awesome. What I hate is Khajiit with beards, I mean they either have beards or fur, make your f***ing mind up Bethesda. Also, if they didn't have Khajiits and Argonians then god forbid...they might have to use a relatable race as slaves and skooma dealers. I mean, the dark elves were sort of mistreated, but the real 'scum' of society in Skyrim's heirarchy are cats and lizards, and Bethesda did this so they wouldn't have to have a human race in their place.

Argonian is the only race I'll play as. The only thing I didn't like about them in Skyrim is how they got rid of the hissing accent.
If you don't like them, then you probably didn't play Oblivion, where they were the best race.
Bonuses to sneak, lockpicking, blade, and some magic. Along with disease and poison amunity and water breath.
And subtractions to speechcraft and barter, because everyone was racist, it didn't though those skills didn't do anything in that game.

Pff, racist.

Nah, I kid. But for the record, there IS no evolutionary reason for ANY of them to exist. Every race was created by some god.

Guess one of the Eight was a furry. :P

I agree man, I hate those "Anthropomorphic" animal things or, whatever people like to call them. Animals that walk and talk? I am at a loss at trying to think of the last time I've heard such an asinine concept. And why do the cats have hair? That makes no sense! It defies the laws of science that Elder Scrolls has spent 5 games (and two spin offs) establishing!

Lilani:
In exploring Skyrim this last week, I discovered something. I really, really hate the animal races, or anthropomorphs or whatever you want to call them. Conceptually and aesthetically. First of all, they make little sense as a race. I mean really, people who are EXACTLY like regular people but with animal hides and fur? REALLY? What is the evolutionary advantage to that? Why are the changes in physiology restricted to the head and skin? Why aren't their joints reversed like animals legs? Why aren't they more muscular, or more svelt, or taller or shorter or hunchback? It makes absolutely no sense. It's like they just said "Hurr derp, let's stick some random animal heads on our people and call it a day!"

If you go back through the lore you'll see why they have the features they have. Their homelands made it advantageous to have those traits. Not that it matters much. I could have sworn we threw any semblance of realism aside right about the time we started conjuring fireballs in our hands from fuck all, throwing those fireballs at imps, and literally shouting dragons to death.

The whole point of fantasy is to have a world that would otherwise be unable to exist. The Khajiit and Argonians are just a couple of facets of this, and honestly if you want to inject some realism into this world it's probably best if you never touch another TES game again.

So please, somebody tell me I'm not the only one who really can't stand these things?

I don't like them, but it's not because of your reasoning. I just don't like lizardmen, and I find the Khajiit aren't modeled quite right for my tastes. I still play as one of them, though, at least until a race mod shows up.

i remember in morrowind, they had better stats but could not wear shoes of gloves.

Buccura:
I agree man, I hate those "Anthropomorphic" animal things or, whatever people like to call them. Animals that walk and talk? I am at a loss at trying to think of the last time I've heard such an asinine concept.

And yet you have one in your avatar!..and quite a cute one at that.

Absolute brilliance if I've ever seen it!

They were made from the gods of the game. They were reshaped from humans and elves. So there ya go.

I like the Kahjiit, those lizards.... not so much.

it has probably already been said 10 times by this point but incase you didnt notice every single race has the exact same body shape for each gender depending on where you put the slider
and from this you might gather that if they wanted to make all the races have unique bodies and methods of movement i.e. inverted hind legs that would be alot of work

Lilani:
snip

I like the beast races. I only ever play as an Argonian.

From a lore standpoint, the human, elven and beastman races came from the Ehlnofey, whose actual design I cannot find a description of. It could be assumed that they were, in some way, anthropomorphic. The Ehlnofey and the Hist are cited as being the only survivors of the "twelve worlds of Creation," suggesting this isn't a full evolutionary path we'd be following.

They haven't been implemented into the games yet, but the Sload race of Thras--while still anthropomorphic--are distinctly different. The Akaviri races are also beastlike, and I think they might be less anthropomorphic, though I haven't seen much concept art or concrete physical description. The dragons are an Akaviri race, though, so that should give you a good idea.

Yup, hate them like the Baby Hitler, Staling [insert knee-jerk name here].

They're fuck ugly, lazily designed as you pointed out and completely superfluous.

Ofcourse, I don't actually like the whole TES universe to begin with. But the sheer shiteness of the anthro races make me vomit bad words.

First of all, screw you, you speciest hominidophile. Second, a bipedal form capable of clasping motions with the hands and feet would be one of the most useful forms that can be taken, evolutionarily speaking, and therefore it's easily acceptable that both cats and raptors could have gotten there. Furthermore, the humans and elves came to Tamriel after both the Argonians and Khajit were there, which makes them the weird ones. Yet more, there are plenty of differences; you need only look at the cultures of the various peoples to see how they have grown and adapted to their environments. Take the Hist, for example, or the Argonian predisposition to being less susceptible to disease, having survived the impossibly harsh Black Marsh.

But, that's not your argument (mostly). You are annoyed by a few things that basically come down to this: Short of creating entirely different physics for each race in what is already an enormous mountain of a game, and short of literally retconning their past few games in terms of race dynamics, making their movements and animations the same was the only choice. In doing so, they don't have to remap the collision lines for the armors, they don't have to recheck the interactivity between the map itself and the character models, they don't have to have redesign the movements of two races as they interact with items and people in the environment, and they can continue making the game as large as it was.

But, your other issue comes to this: We are humans. Our Gods have been human, or, at their most different, humans with animal heads. We're extremely bad at coming up with believable creatures that don't act like us, look reasonably like us, and resemble us, because if they stop being close to us, then we cease to believe they're anything as grand as us, or have anything to do with us, short of feeding us, or eating us.

I will, however, give you that Argonian females should not have breasts. That's just terrible design. Which, again, comes back to that whole "human" thing, and how because our females have breasts, we expect all females to have breasts.

Besides, it's fucking awesome not to have my choices limited to "variant of human/elf/dwarf" in a classic fantasy game. If they threw in an avian race alongside the other two, I'd pop my lid.

Double A:

New Frontiersman:

Strain42:
I like the Lizard dudes I'm probably going to play as one. Not necessarily because I like them, but because if my character is supposed to be Dragonborn I want to make my character at least look like there's some relation lol

That's actually one of the reasons I picked an Argonian as my first character in Skyrim, I thought it fit.

On topic though, I like them. It's a fantasy game, it doesn't have to make evolutionary sense why there are cat and lizard people around nor does it have to make sense why there are pointy eared people around.

Aaaaactually, the dragon blood means you're related to Alessia, also known as the chick who founded the first Empire by rebelling against Umaril the Unfettered and the Ayleids. Among her army was Pelinal Whitestrake, the demi-god/avatar/thing who killed Umaril the first time and had the sweet crusader gear from the Oblivion DLC. Anyway, she then founded the religion of the 8 Divines and allegedly was granted some of Akatosh's blood. Her descendants carry on the blood of Akatosh, which so happens to include notable individuals such as Talos, Martin Septim, and you.

So what this amounts to is that you're part time dragon god, are probably eligible for the throne of the Empire, and you don't have to feel bad about killing dragons as an Argonian because they aren't really your relatives.

Yeah, I already knew all that actually. I picked an Argonian at first because it looked sort of like a dragon (moreso than the other races at least). Not because I thought they were actually related.

Argonians freak me the hell out, especially the female ones, in Skyrim. Every time I rented a room in Riften I couldn't help but notice how her shoulders are shiney... and looking them in the face is little better, especially when you swear you can hear them hissing... Now that we got that out of the way... I play Khajiit usually and enjoy it. Morrowind probably made me love the beast races simply because of the challenge involved in playing them. Not only could you not wear boots or wear a full faced helmet but socially everyone already had it out for you. Pretty much crawling from literally the bottom of the pile all the way to becoming a god certainly was satisfying. Now in Oblivion I couldn't care less about ANY of the races. Everything was so tolerant, bland, and lumpy.

Now Skyrim kinda gives the Morrowind feeling again except it's barely noticeable. Granted after a bit of dialog nobody blinks twice at the High Elf Mage fighting alongside the Stormcloaks raising the corpses of Imperial and Rebel alike in battle to serve as his zombie horde or the Khajiit in heavy Dwemer armor slogging through hordes of enemies with a ancient artifact of the Nordic people with a vicious dislike of Thalmor and sneaking and a hard on for the Empire. The beast races play as big of part in setting the wonderfully strange world of the Elder Scrolls as any of the Mer and Man races. If you don't like that then the Elder Scrolls are not for you, especially when the Morrowind DLC hits and we all run into the bizarre land of the Dunmer. Shit's gonna get weird again.

Magic that's why. The Khajit are actually Mer, whose biology is influenced by the moons to make them more feline, in some era Khajit have just been Elves with cat ears. The Argonian's origins are relatively unknown, while they look like Lizards, they're possibly more like some amphibious proto-humans mutated by the hist sap.

...It's a fantasy game? I mean I can understand someone thinking they should be crazier and more primal, but at the end of the day, who really cares, it's just a game... one where I can RP as a Raptor from Jurassic Park!

I find it amusing and informative that the Escapist Community consistently shows that it is usually more apathetic than negative.

Darh Abdomino:
I find it amusing and informative that the Escapist Community consistently shows that it is usually more apathetic than negative.

It is a bit strange about how the majority of Escapists are indifferent about things. Meh, I don't really mind.

Buccura:
I agree man, I hate those "Anthropomorphic" animal things or, whatever people like to call them. Animals that walk and talk? I am at a loss at trying to think of the last time I've heard such an asinine concept.

Humans are animals too.

And why do the cats have hair? That makes no sense! It defies the laws of science that Elder Scrolls has spent 5 games (and two spin offs) establishing!

Why do you have hair all over your body?

Denamic:

Buccura:

Humans are animals too.

And why do the cats have hair? That makes no sense! It defies the laws of science that Elder Scrolls has spent 5 games (and two spin offs) establishing!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

Buccura:

Denamic:

Buccura:

Humans are animals too.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

Have you ever been on the internet before?
People say this kind of stupid shit all the time, and they're serious about it.
Add to that that sarcasm doesn't translate well in mediums that does not convey inflexion. Like text.
No need to assume I'm retarded.

I don't mind, but really I wouldn't blink an eye if either race disappeared. In fact I'd notice more if the Orcs were gone, maybe because they gave me quite a laugh in Oblivion.

I guess I would prefer if they were implemented a little less "human" and carried more traits closer to the original animal. Such as the khajiit having reversed joints, more pronounced claws/paws, and the lizards being a bit more hunched over and longer, pointier mouths, and the orcs being even chunkier. But then that's my opinion, in the end I didn't create this world, they did, and with insane amount of work and development gone into the creation of this universe I think they are but petty qualms. So I'm happy with how it is =)

I'm mostly indifferent to both Khajiit and Argonians in general, I focus more on the character than the race. For example I felt kind of bad screwing over the Riften Innkeepers to get into the Thieves Guild, they seemed nice. But if a random Argonian (I've had this happen, his name was even "Argonian")comes up and attacks me I'll slaughter them with glee, take their stuff, and haul them to a river to dump them in, just to see their body bounce along the current. :P

Edit: Ok, maybe I do like the Khajiit's voices...they make me think of Zorro... >.>

Lilani:
In exploring Skyrim this last week, I discovered something. I really, really hate the animal races, or anthropomorphs or whatever you want to call them. Conceptually and aesthetically. First of all, they make little sense as a race. I mean really, people who are EXACTLY like regular people but with animal hides and fur? REALLY? What is the evolutionary advantage to that? Why are the changes in physiology restricted to the head and skin? Why aren't their joints reversed like animals legs? Why aren't they more muscular, or more svelt, or taller or shorter or hunchback? It makes absolutely no sense. It's like they just said "Hurr derp, let's stick some random animal heads on our people and call it a day!"

Then they're just ugly and wreak of laziness in design. Because once you think about it, the reason their physiology is the same as regular people is obvious. If their bodies are the same, the same animations and scripts can be used to make them move can be the same as well. And then I just feel awkward looking at them. They're like a furry's wet dream come alive.

So please, somebody tell me I'm not the only one who really can't stand these things?

Joints aren't reversed in any animal except for maybe certain birds, you're seeing the enlongated heels (cats and dogs walk in what we would be familiar with as tip-toe, horses and cows walk on their nails) And no, I don't find these things irksome for the same reason I don't find an Orc's green skin irksome, or the pointed ears of an elf, or the idea that for some reason there are what, five distinct races of 'human' which, when they breed, do not produce hybrid offspring, but offspring the race of one of the parents. No. This is a fantasy game. If they want to stick fucking wings on a tetrapod, thereby negating the very identifying feature of tetrapods, I personally do not give a SINGLE fuck because this isn't science, goddamnit. It's magic. Get over it.

EDIT: Also, pretty much every animal that isn't a bird or a primate has restricted shoulder joints which make dorsoventral movement nigh impossible. Beyond that, nails are requisite to having what we would consider usable finger pads. Claws don't grip the way nailed fingers do. We model the beast folk after humans because to do otherwise would make them incapable of using human tools (such as swords, shields and bows)

Look, if you're annoyed at the character design because they're not evolutionarily (spell-check) sound, then why on earth are you playing a fantasy game? Hell, this is Tamriel, and there's magic. Last I looked, we weren't in Kansas anymore and Darwin was nowhere to be seen.

Although I think I may share the common disdain for the Kajhitts or however you spell it, (perhaps for no other reason than my bigotry against Furries), I do love the Argonian race. The idea of playing a sort of half-velociraptor-half-human assassin has always appealed to me.

MeChaNiZ3D:
Admittedly, I find it hard to believe that the Dragonborn is a...cat, or a lizard,

Gonna go ahead and say that a lizard (Or an Argonian) looks a hell of a lot more like a dragon than any lily-assed Breton.

And personally, I don't think Akatosh is all that picky in who he donates blood to. Just saying.

Lilani:

Then they're just ugly and wreak of laziness in design. Because once you think about it, the reason their physiology is the same as regular people is obvious. If their bodies are the same, the same animations and scripts can be used to make them move can be the same as well. And then I just feel awkward looking at them. They're like a furry's wet dream come alive.

Actually, If you look at it from a purely evolutionary standpoint, It's probably more logical for them to develop a human-like form, it's the staple design for anything that can develop a civilisation. The knee-joint leg provides more support for heavy lifting and coordination, the upright figure allows them to increase their field of vision and add's to three dimensional movement. Basically anything that reaches the point of sentience or has the ability to create a working society would pretty much look human.

Side not: The level of reptilian features that the Argonians have are relative to the amount of Hist that they drink.

xPixelatedx:
snip

I'm not saying these are good reasons, but they are still reasons why that'll never happen:
Khajiit being able to run really damn fast would be imbalanced for the men, mer, and possibly Argonians (depending on how they're treated). Of course, it would make the deer easier to hunt...
Bethesda isn't going to make 2-4 new walking animations.

Bato:
snip

Stop making me laugh so damn much! Jeez, what's your problem!?

MeChaNiZ3D:
snip

In The Real Barenziah, Morrowind edition, she boinks a Khajiit in a bar. (Yes, really.) Anyway, that would imply furfaggotry is possible on more than that level. And when 9/10 races can do eet, why make the Argonians feel Forever Alone?

Mara's got her handprints all over this.

EcoEclipse:
snip

I'm pretty sure the Akaviri dragons are anthropomorphic as well. Don't they also have snakemen and tigermen? I'm reasonably certain there's one or two more.

---

Checked USEP, there are tigermen, vampire snakes, monkeymen, and friggin' demons. There used to be dragons, with one of the tigermen becoming a dragon-tiger-man. So I guess you're right.

New Frontiersman:
another snip

Eh, fair enough. Argonians are pretty cool lookin anyway.

Evill_Bob:
Morrowind DLC

Are you just speculating, or is this confirmed? I'm reasonably certain that Bethesda will do it, it's nice to know others feel the same, but it'd be even better to actually KNOW they're doing it.

Jesus Christ, everyone, can you drop the blatant furry paranoia? You don't have to go "Hey everyone, I hate anthropomorphic animals!" to qualify as not a furry. Do anthropomorphisized animals appeal to you aesthetically by virtue of being anthropomorphic animals? No? Do you identify strongly with animals over humanity? No?
You're probably not a furry then, chill out and enjoy all the silliness inherent of a world that have humanlike animals.

But for the record, argonians first looked like this:

Personally, I like playing argonians a lot of the time. That way I don't feel as inclined to identify with my character and can get on with running around as a giant lizard made by a computer who talks to dignitaries and fights bad guys.
"Pleased to meet you, I'm a dinosaur" pops up in my head every time I interact with an NPC. XD

TES never appealed to me particularly strongly with the actual "Role Playing."

Oh and another thing, it sort of ruins the feel of the game for me when I play as a Khajiit or an Argonian, and I just waltz around wherever I please, and then I see another of my race, who tells me all about how we are seen as deceitful and dirty and not allowed inside the city walls. I fell like saying "Well I just got an audience with the f***ing Jarl by clicking my claws, and not one guard looked sideways at me. Explain that Bethesda!"

I honestly might have enjoyed the game more if I hadn't been allowed to rent a room in some inns, and guards would occasionally say "Go back to your rock, lizard" or "Whoa, I don't want your fleas". The only time I've seen race do something meaningful in-game was when I was an orc and they just let me join the crew without having to fetch the Fishmaster's Fins (bonus to fishing). But you can go around Windhelm, possibly the most racist city in Skyrim (and that's saying something) as a Khajiit (who aren't allowed inside any city), and buy property and rent rooms and talk to people normally as an Argonian (who have to sleep outside the city and are basically the working class) or a Dark Elf (who are hated and confined to a quarter of the city).

In short it's kind of annoying.

Argonians look fucking boss in Skyrim. Khajiits? Ergh...meh.

The reason why they feel so out of place is because, well, they're really out of place. Other side of the globe.

I was hoping there'd be more interactions with the Khajiits and Argonians. There's some backstory that they're not accepted in many of the cities, but it's only mentioned amongst the Caravans and then forgotten.

Edit: Guy above me nailed it.

Fantasy games have fantasy characters because it's A FUCKING FANTASY GAME!

I bet you hate wookies as well. Jerk.

I will probably play a Khajiit when I get around to Skyrim, and in Oblivion I played a female Argonian. I absolutely agree that the character models are lazy, the lore explanations are hand waving for technical/budget constraints, and do not even get me started on my Oblivion character's breasts. Apparently I am a man with strong opinions on lizard boobs, who knew.

I played her anyway, because Elder Scrolls races are really boring. Four different kinds of humans? Who needs four different kind of human? I'd happily trade three of 'em, and toss in two mer, for any one more exotic playable species.

They may have half-assed the beast races, but I'm still glad they're there. I would even love to see TES 6 set in Black Marsh. I miss the really alien environment of Morrowind, and Black Marsh sounds like it would dial that up to eleven. Human homelands, almost as boring as the human races...

How dare you insult my favourite races!!! But in this case you can literally say:
Or in this case a bunch of nut job Gods thus any logical arguments are rendered mute.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked