Mass Effect 3 has day zero DLC (MAJOR SPOILERS)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

You get a Prothean squad mate.

http://kotaku.com/5887092/mass-effect-3-dlc-pops-up-early-on-xbox-marketplace-spoils-plot-point

I was never hyped about this game in the first place, and this just digs Biowares hole even deeper. Especially since the DLC was released BEFORE THE GAME!!

What do you guys think?

Whoops.

Man, they have had leaks left right and centre for this game. Someone, somewhere needs to get their shit together.

However, this one isn't much of a reveal. We've known there was a day 1 DLC character since way back when they announced the collector's edition, and we've seen who he is in previous leaks.

Day 1 DLC in general has never bothered me. For whatever reason, I've never felt automatically entitled to all the content available on launch. I either buy it if I think it's worth the asking price or ignore it if I don't.

In this case, I'll be getting it for free anyway. With Australian pricing the way it is, it was cheaper for me to import a collector's edition than to buy the standard edition from retail.

Eh, I don't see why people are complaining about this "Day Zero DLC". It's free with the Collector's Edition and it's not as if other companies haven't done this as well, yet no-one bats an eyelid towards them.

I have Just Cause 2, but not the Limited Edition version, and I have to pay extra for the Limited Edition content. I'm not actually bothered by this fact, it's a nice incentive to get the special edition, I think people forget that games companies are businesses trying to make money.

Was just about to make a thread about this.

But damn it, zero day DLC again? And its a squad member? Come on EA.... Fuck this game. Its going to be a used game purchase or none at all for me.

Ah didn't know if that character was going to be a part of the CE or not, well now we know it is! And not like it's a big deal, they could always have the entire "No extra character for you because you didn't get the CE!" like some games end up doing.

Zhukov:
Whoops.

Man, they have had leaks left right and centre for this game. Someone, somewhere needs to get their shit together.

However, this one isn't much of a reveal. We've known there was a day 1 DLC character since way back when they announced the collector's edition, and we've seen who he is in previous leaks.

What do you expect from the ending of a trilogy, and the one of the biggest games that is releasing this year?

ME2 had this too.
Honestly, I don't mind day 0 DLC at all, as long as it's not something that's clearly cut from the game to leverage more money. This seems to be fine, as it's a chunk of separate content from the main story.

Fact is, there's a big period between the code being finished and sent to be printed to disc and the actual release. A period in which you still have a full set of developers, familiar with the coding/design before the dust settles on - a perfect time to make extra goodies. Don't like it? Simple : Don't buy it. It's an optional extra for people who want more.

EDIT : I'm also going to guess that outside of the new mission/areas, there'll be very limited interaction with the bonus squad member (Like Zaeed and Kasumi from ME2, where they were on your ship, but you couldn't talk to them directly)

Uh did everyone already forget about Zaeed DLC? It's a CE character that peoples with a regular version or used copies will need to buy. If you don't like it don't buy it. Enough said.

My thoughts on this:

Why release Day 0 DLC instead of putting it on the disc to begin with?

Akio91:
My thoughts on this:

They wanted something extra for people who bought the Collector's Edition.

Well, that is rather stupid. I would have liked to have a character that would have been interesting rather than that steroid munching, retarded human. Too bad I don't have money to burn.

It is the content from the collectors edition. Nothing to get riled up over.

kiri2tsubasa:

We are talking about people who hate EA so much they are willing to sacrifice children if that means that EA might be destroyed from the sacrifice. They are going to get riled up over every little thing they can to gain more hate towards EA and be cooler on the internet.

Bigeyez:
Uh did everyone already forget about Zaeed DLC? It's a CE character that peoples with a regular version or used copies will need to buy. If you don't like it don't buy it. Enough said.

Zaeed was free for new copies, this isn't. And this appears to be a big lore thing. I'm getting the digital deluxe edition anyway so all this does is confirm that the extra content is worth it. If it wasn't the last in the trilogy this would be a massive dick move by EA simply because of how important protheans are to the story.

tendaji:

kiri2tsubasa:

We are talking about people who hate EA so much they are willing to sacrifice children if that means that EA might be destroyed from the sacrifice. They are going to get riled up over every little thing they can to gain more hate towards EA and be cooler on the internet.

So hate for hate sake?

Bigeyez:

But Zaeed was just some dude. No one cared about him.

This is a Prothean, the most mythical race in history. The plot has been central to the protheans for two games now. As such people are assuming the Prothean will be central to the plot, and you have to pay for that. As far as I know, your Prothean companion is the last one alive in the whole universe.

AC10:

Bigeyez:

This is a Prothean, the most mythical race in history. The plot has been central to the protheans for two games now. As such people are assuming the Prothean will be central to the plot, and you have to pay for that.

The keyword here is "Assume" /turian finger quotes.

A lot of people "assume" a lot of thing, for example it was widely "assumed" that the multiplayer was going to ruin Mass Effect 3 forever, and surprise surprise its been the most popular part of the demo.

boag:

AC10:

Bigeyez:

This is a Prothean, the most mythical race in history. The plot has been central to the protheans for two games now. As such people are assuming the Prothean will be central to the plot, and you have to pay for that.

A lot of people "assume" a lot of thing, for example it was widely "assumed" that the multiplayer was going to ruin Mass Effect 3 forever, and surprise surprise its been the most popular part of the demo.

I agree; I was stating the situation factually. People assume the Prothean will be an important character. I'm not saying he will be.

It's also worth nothing Zaeed was free for everyone who bought the game new; not just CE editions.

Bigeyez:

Akio91:
My thoughts on this:

They wanted something extra for people who bought the Collector's Edition.

Exactly, if I'm spending 70 on the N7 edition it's because I want more. Art books, soundtracks & cuddly toys etc, are great, but at the end of the day I want more content for my game.

Did everyone kick off like this with the special items and mission in Deus Ex: Human Revolution's special edition? (an item that opened doors for you so you didn't have to do the hacking mini game?) No, no one got this mad, but they will with ME3 because it's "Evil EA's" doing!

The blatant fanboyism on the ME3 forums right now is horrific. It genuinely hurts to read.
How dare you complain about being screwed over for extra money for something you paid for?! HOW DARE YOU?! Bioware is the bestest thing that ever thunk of Mass Effect! How dare YOU?!

its not just a squad member. its a very important plot point

Steampunk Viking:
Eh, I don't see why people are complaining about this "Day Zero DLC". It's free with the Collector's Edition and it's not as if other companies haven't done this as well, yet no-one bats an eyelid towards them.

Why are people complaining about this? Because it should be in the game! It's extremely valuable DLC toward the story and franchise that was made before the game comes out and instead of putting it in so everyone can use, they charge for it.

How can you NOT have a problem with this?

Eh, the Protheans stopped being important after the first game (The stupid shoe-horning "Plot-Twist" mention of them in ME2 notwithstanding). I don't really care about this too much.

Akio91:

http://kotaku.com/5887092/mass-effect-3-dlc-pops-up-early-on-xbox-marketplace-spoils-plot-point

I was never hyped about this game in the first place, and this just digs Biowares hole even deeper. Especially since the DLC was released BEFORE THE GAME!!

What do you guys think?

To me, this kind of day one DLC practice is nothing short of exploitative and is thus ban worthy. I personally will still be buying the confounded game, since my desire to play the game outweighs my outrage. However, I know I will not be conducting any more business with BioWare unless they change this. The fact that the party member's a Prothean is only the last straw. The fact is, this DLC was in development right alongside the game, and was probably originally intended to be part of the full version. As a result, offering it as a $10 DLC unless the customer forked over an additional $20 for the CE is nothing short of despicable. I absolutely love BioWare, and I deeply enjoy their content, but as a responsible consumer, I cannot continue to support this nonsense. Otherwise the BioWare games will end up with the same crap that plagues the FPS market, and I will not support that level of shameless exploitation.

Not bothered at all. Getting the game regardless, don't want the DLC? Don't buy it.

And to add to that, even if I cared about the usual complaints about content being made before release that "should have been in the game to begin with". It's worth noting that this addon is free with the Collectors edition and extra content for the extra price is hardly anything special.

AC10:

boag:

AC10:

I agree; I was stating the situation factually. People assume the Prothean will be an important character. I'm not saying he will be.

It's also worth nothing Zaeed was free for everyone who bought the game new; not just CE editions.

I concur, people are jumping the gun without any solid evidence for one point or the other.

The sensible thing here is to wait and see, or run the risk.

If you are paying 80 bucks for a game from a company that you have misgivings about, then yhe risk falls to you.

I cant wait to see how many threads are going to appear after launch with people BAWWWING about how they got ripped off by EA, when all the warning flags have been raised.

I for one am Purchasing the CE, I know the risk I am taking, but I enjoyed the multiplayer enough to ofset any other choice, to me the risk of the game not full filling my enjoyment is low.

I wonder if I should make a poll about this?

Guys... You assume a lot.
Important to the story, wah wah wah. You don't know that. Definitely is important to lore of Mass Effect. But the guy is so out of the loop, he probably won't have a lot to say to contribute the the story of the game itself. So chill.
Also, others here raised a valid point. It's a Collector's edition content. I don't see a reason it shouldn't be available to people who didn't get CE, but certainly not for free. It's business, nothing more.

Akio91:
My thoughts on this:

Two words.

Electronic

Arts

If ever you see an EA published game that wants you to pay for seemingly ridiculous things, the answer is right there on the box. EA made it and people are stupid enough to pay for it.

AC10:

Bigeyez:

This is a Prothean, the most mythical race in history. The plot has been central to the protheans for two games now. As such people are assuming the Prothean will be central to the plot, and you have to pay for that. As far as I know, your Prothean companion is the last one alive in the whole universe.

I doubt he will be any more central to the plot then Zaeed and Kasumi were. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I just don't believe he will be more important then a couple of cool mission regarding him and some dialog on the ship.

Wait, what?

They either drastically changed the game's story since the script was leaked, or they've ripped out a very, very important plot point.

Oh how I wish the OP had used an actual SPOILER TAG(HINT HINT!!!) rather than just blurting out his spoiler at the start of his post....

Oh well....I've brought this on myself

Do you know why EA does this?

Because it fucking works, that's why. People buy it.

Stop giving them money for it, and they'll stop doing it.

Loethlin:
Guys... You assume a lot.
Important to the story, wah wah wah. You don't know that. Definitely is important to lore of Mass Effect. But the guy is so out of the loop, he probably won't have a lot to say to contribute the the story of the game itself. So chill.
Also, others here raised a valid point. It's a Collector's edition content. I don't see a reason it shouldn't be available to people who didn't get CE, but certainly not for free. It's business, nothing more.

The fact that it's a Prothean is only the last straw. The fact is, this DLC was in development right alongside the full game, and was probably originally part of the main game story, much like the "Exiled Prince" DLC for Dragon Age 2. When it comes to RPGs, this is as bad as the stunt EA tried to pull with Battlefield 3, offering special guns for those who pre-ordered from specific stores. Thankfully the outcry over this crap caused EA to rescind it's Battlefield 3 policy, making those previously exclusive weapons available to all. In light of that, I am going to object over this, because I don't want BioWare to succumb to this kind of crappy model, especially when their previous model was working just fine. As a responsible consumer, I cannot and will not stand for this. As much as I love BioWare as a whole.

Do you know what pisses me off the most?

its not EA its the tards that let them wipe it off on their chin and say thank you daddy then come here and bitch about it
Dont you see you loose your right to bitch when you chug down their milky goodness its your fault they do it!
if you installed origin your part of the problem
if you still buy EA games your part of the problem
if your still going to buy ME3 then plese stfu sit in the corner and wait till they next hand you the lube.

Akio91:

I was never hyped about this game in the first place, and this just digs Biowares hole even deeper. Especially since the DLC was released BEFORE THE GAME!

WOO HOO!! ^^

I was worried that the Prothean squad mate was going to be a Pre-order bonus. This is the only ME3 DLC I give any amount of craps about, and I can get it (while still preordering at a local mom-and-pops game store that has no special preorder deals)!

**does a happy dance**

^^ I can't wait until March. I am so looking forward to the full version of this game. Been grinding the multiplayer (which is kinda pointless since it all gets reset when the full version comes out, but it's sort of addictive).

Edit: Also, guys, two things.

1) If you didn't know about the Prothean squad member, then you've been attempting to stay non-spoiled, cause it was announced as DLC last year. Like... May last year.

2) The Prothean is not important to the plot. Basically, if you get the DLC, you find a Prothean in a suspended animation tube and the Prothean is like "sup" and joins your squad. He has a mission of his own, I believe, that you get with the DLC - basically, the Prothean is the Katsumi of ME3 - awesome, but not at all necessary.

Clonekiller:
The fact that it's a Prothean is only the last straw. The fact is, this DLC was in development right alongside the full game, and was probably originally part of the main game story, much like the "Exiled Prince" DLC for Dragon Age 2. When it comes to RPGs, this is as bad as the stunt EA tried to pull with Battlefield 3, offering special guns for those who pre-ordered from specific stores. Thankfully the outcry over this crap caused EA to rescind it's Battlefield 3 policy, making those previously exclusive weapons available to all. In light of that, I am going to object over this, because I don't want BioWare to succumb to this kind of crappy model, especially when their previous model was working just fine. As a responsible consumer, I cannot and will not stand for this.

I generally agree with you. BUT! I might not like what they're doing, but I do get it. Business. At the end of the day, it's a company, set on making money. I was fully expecting this, so I'm not surprised or outraged at all. And I really don;t see why anyone else should be. It's not like it didn't happen before, like with your example, the Prince for the shitty DA2.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked