Why I am not going to buy Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

SajuukKhar:

godofslack:

SajuukKhar:

3. The Prothean IS STILL IN THE BASE GAME, all the DLc does is make him abe to join your squad

Source? because I've been listening to Totalbiscuit for years and when he's long he removes his videos and recants his arguments with an apology. If you can prove that I'm sure he'll be more than willing to remove the video.

As a rule of thumb I trust someone who I know has a strict code of ethics rather than some random on the internet.

It was in the leaked script.

Also TotalBiscuit? a strict code of ethics? no offense but he really isn't much better then any average joe on the internet, the ONLY reason he takes down his vids later is because he knows if he doesn't he will get flamed hard by the fans of said game.

Dont take "coving his own ass" as "ethics", its silly.

godofslack:

Bull shit http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/325/index/8006985/1 7 months ago.

Are you purposfully ignoring the fact that the DLc WAS STARTED back then but WASNT FINSIHED tll recentlly, or do you just not understand that?

Nothing you say has any evidence. The leaked script could go both ways, saying he was cut from the game or just makes him a squad member. And even if you do think that is the only reason why he removes them I still trust someone who HAS to cover their own ass than someone with no accountability whatsoever.

is this the new project 10 dollar? all games have day 1 DLC made up of content which should be part of the main game because EA is a greedy bag of dicks? and lots of people on this website are willing to let it slide like "herpa derp dont buy it then cause i will its not important", do you want to roll over so EA can piss on the over side of your face?

just think what would jim sterling do?

So you trust someone who takes down his videos only because HE IS FORCED TOO and not because he CHOOSES TO BECAUSE ITS RIGHT.

ohhh dear god, the levels of extreme fanatic devotion people have to internet game reviewers is saddening.

xSKULLY:
is this the new project 10 dollar? all games have day 1 DLC made up of content which should be part of the main game because EA is a greedy bag of dicks? and lots of people on this website are willing to let it slide like "herpa derp dont buy it then cause i will its not important", do you want to roll over so EA can piss on the over side of your face?

just think what would jim sterling do?

*Looks back on all the day 1 DLC for other bioware games*

which one of them needed to be part of the main game to make it a whole game?

ohh wait...... none of them.

endtherapture:
I am going to buy Mass Effect 3 because I enjoyed the demo and I am looking forward to the conclusion.

If there is all this extra DLC giving new guns, art books etc. etc. I don't really care, I don't have to buy it, I'm not being forced, so I won't buy it.

It doesn't seem any different to Shale DLc or any of the character DLCs for ME2 or DA2 or anything.

The difference is Shale and Zaeed were free with all new purchases, this is not, you either pay more for the DDE/Col or you pay for it as Day 0 DLC, your right its not essential, no-one is forcing it on you. but Day 1 DLC should imo only ever be vanity items, i'm not to keen on the EA project $10 they slap on EVERYTHING, but i'm also no to fond of the way the pre-owned market fucks devs in the ass.

im not going to tell anyone not to buy it, why, we'll 'cus i'm going to buy it, i want to know what happens i want to continue the saga, so to tell you to boycott it would be hypocritical.

and too all you who are saying, "ill pirate it, that'll show them". FUCK YOU, seriously go fall under a bus.

This really is a big insult to ME fans. Its pure exploitation, and its going to at the hurt the Bioware reputation. That said I am invested in this series already, and I am vulnerable to exploitation (if the DLC turns out to cover major plot points I'm going to buy it). However if that turns out to be the case my goodwill towards Bioware is depleted.

SajuukKhar:
So you trust someone who takes down his videos only because HE IS FORCED TOO and not because he CHOOSES TO BECAUSE ITS RIGHT.

ohhh dear god, the levels of extreme fanatic devotion people have to internet game reviewers is saddening.

I trust him over you, yes. You have no evidence towards any of your claims, and you have not been proven to be a MOSTLY trustworthy source.

It's pretty coincidental that I've missed those $5-sales for Mass Effect 2 on Steam and then EA/Bioware completely pisses off any fans that were looking forward to the finale of the trilogy. Seems like I'm the luckiest bastard to have played a Mass Effect game.

who the hell makes a 24 minute video about why they won't buy a game that has not even come out yet? I'm seriously sick of the Bioware/Mass Effect 3 bashing bandwagon. Nearly every major video game publisher does DLC in some form or other. I don't love it either but it's not going away.

Kudos to the OP by deciding with their wallet. I hope you stick to your guns and don't resort to anything underhanded like piracy.

I for one intend to get the games 'standard' edition. Until which point I play through the standard edition and feel as though my experience was incomplete, I don't have a problem with what they're doing.

To me this is no worse than Shale from DA:O, or Catwoman from Arkham City. (I realized the video explains how these things are 'technically' different) These practices are admittedly annoying, but have yet to ruin the core gaming experience.

For those who want all the content but don't want to pay $20 more for it...we can all but guarantee a GOTY edition released in a little over the year. Your patience will be rewarded.

Aye, i have the collectors edition ordered for 360. Keep bitching about it before it's out. I'll reserve my judgement for when i'm done with it.

8a88leph1sh:
who the hell makes a 24 minute video about why they won't buy a game that has not even come out yet? I'm seriously sick of the Bioware/Mass Effect 3 bashing bandwagon. Nearly every major video game publisher does DLC in some form or other. I don't love it either but it's not going away.

As long as the DLC isn't REQUIRED to get the best ending in a game, and or is the games ending ,I.E. Fallout 3's Broken Steel DLC, then people have literally ZERO right to complain about when it comes out, what it contains, and how much it costs.

Since I have had the Collector's Edition pre-ordered since like september and have had no reason to cancel my pre-order. In fact, having played the demo, I've actually had very few problems with Origin so far, here I am, not giving a crap, since apparently I'm getting some more content that I wasn't expecting. So that's nice.

That being said it'd be somewhat nicer if the digital collector's edition had been somewhat cheaper because hey, a PDF artbook is definitely far worse than a physical one.

So wait, would this have gotten any flak at all if it wasn't day 1 DLC for normal buyers, but Collectors Edition buyers still got it? I seriously doubt it would. That guy was pretty whiny it seemed to me. If he wants to not buy a game that he thinks will be good just because they're withholding a POTENTIALLY (I say that because we don't know for sure how important) important character on launch unless you pay $10.

Right...

Well, I have no love for Mass Effect, I want to make it clear. As for the whole boycott thing? Meh, Do as you please. Personally I will not be buying ME3 for various reasons.

1. Never even beat ME1. I found it dull.
2. I fucking hate Origin.
3. I fucking hate EA
4. I have not bought an EA game since they began to force origin down our throats.

I used to play BF 1942 every week. Musta been at least 6 hours a week. When 2142 came out I upped that beyond belief, first joining a clan and then FORMING a small clan. I remember the buggy piece of shit that was BF Vietnam fondly, I played through both Bad Companies with mild enjoyment.

Believe me when I tell you I was so hyped about BF3 coming out you could have syphoned my blood away and used it as some form of euphoria causing drug. Yet I boycotted it.

With ease.

Tis not hard to boycott a game. At all. There are plenty more games, plenty more SIMILAR games on the market. Just saying to all those who think people who "Boycott" everything online are not true to their words. Its not that hard to boycott something.

I guess I am used to it (Try going through life without touching Coca-Cola products, Nestle, avoiding anything ASSOCIATED with homeopathy, its harder to live shop ethicaly then it is to boycott games). Although I do think that a lot of people will claim to boycott things online because it makes them hard men. Or they think it does.

From what I have heard, though, this is a pretty hefty kick to the balls. The equivalent of a LoTR game where... I dunno, Aragorn was DLC. Its going to make a difference. No matter how slight. If someone cares about the lore, it is going to make a difference.

Stick to your guns, boycotting breatherin, perhaps you will make a difference. Or perhaps this is simply our future, even more day 1 DLC. I remember content being released for free though, important story changing content.

*makes another point*

Some have said that the DLC is only concerned with the backstory and does not effect the real story.

Little point to make here.

A little known developer (Blizzard) once released a little known RTS called "Warcraft 3" and an expansion "The Frozen Throne". It created a popular spinoff you might have heard of (WoW).

One day, many years back now, I reinstalled the game to play a bit of DoTA with my mates. We patched it up and what do I find?

About 4 hours of campaign. Totally and utterly fucking free. Covering the backstory of the Horde. Big stuff. Earth-shattering stuff. If you cared about the lore, that is (Like I did. Up until the release of Cata. But that is another story).

They made it. And released it. For free. Hell, this was back in the days of being able to lend people PC games (REMEMBER THOSE DAYS) so quite a lot of peopel got to play it totally and utterly for free without ever touching the game.

My point? However roundabout?

The fans wanted more backstory and they got it for free. We have entered an age where what used to be released along side a patch now costs money. Those ten bucks add up. I will also add that with most of the patches that were released for WC3 they brought in more maps. Lots more maps. Totally for free. We pay for mappacks now.

I hate day 1 DLC, I hate EA.

This? I cannot get angry as a consumer (As I am not a consumer of this product). But I can safely say I find the precedent worrying. If this is the thrilling conclusion to this tale then they should give you the entire thrilling conclusion, backstory and all. Sure, they can milk the cow afterwards with Shepard going on mop up around the galaxy (You know "AND IN ALL THE CHAOS SUDDENLY A WILD SPACE PIRATE APPEARED) totally cool, nothing to do with the plot. But this?

Bleh.

I have made my point. Hell, I have made my wall of text that will be ignored. Good day to you.

Frankly, if this isn't total bullshit as I presume it is, then it's not going to have a major effect on the game. It will add if you're willing to pay for it, like DLC is fucking meant to do.

The game seems enjoyable, and I'm not going to let some sense of entitlement ruin it for me like it did for that twat in the video.

Personally, I don't see how additional DLC is going to affect my life in any way, shape or form.

I have bigger fish to fry.

godofslack:

SajuukKhar:

Daystar Clarion:

Self entitlement is a huge problem in the gaming community nowadays.

kind of makes me want punch a badger.

Yes it is.

I love how people thing "content developed alongside the game" ="content cut from the game on purpose in order to sell it to you".

Its both laughable and saddening that people can act that way.

godofslack:
It's pretty simple. Non-cosmetic DLC should NEVER be launch day DLC. It means that content was removed. Okay, maybe not removed but, it could just as easily be the vanilla game. Whether it's relevant or not isn't important, it means that someone who buys the game on launch will not receive all the story content at launch.

No it DOESNT mean it could have been in the vanilla game becuase devlopment of the DLC could easily have continued AFTER the game went gold in order to get it printed and shipped on time.

I don't know if people purposefully forget that there is a period of two months before the games release that isnt being used to make the game but insted being used to print/ship the games and that's when development of DLC is done or they simply have no idea about how games are made.

Bull shit http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/325/index/8006985/1 7 months ago.

SPOILER

Main difference is that even if you dont get the DLC the Prothean still gives all the Plot relevant information to Shep, and if you do get the DLC he actively joins you as a squadmate.

WanderingFool:
Well, I was actually planing on buying the collecters edition, but there isnt a collecters edition for the 360 on Amazon.

But I have to ask, Is the Prothean Really that important to the game? And dont give me the fact that its a Prothean to be an acceptable answer. Will this character actually have some significant affect on the game? Is not having the Prothean going to put the game in a no-win situation? Cause if it isnt going to affect the game at all, and I can still play through and beat it without any problems, I dont view this as any less of a dick move, but is really not all that serious of deal.

SajuukKhar:
What they humorously forgot to mention in the video is that

1. The DLC was not CUT from the game because it was never IN the game originally
2. You DO NOT need the DLC to get the best ending in the game
3. The Prothean IS STILL IN THE BASE GAME, all the DLc does is make him abe to join your squad.

I love how people are following the word of a BLATANT liar in some childish attempt to get people to not play the game.

However considering the shit people did to that one bioware employee and that people can find valves hats as a scam only shows how decedent, corrupt, and overly entitled the average gamer is nowadays.

its sickening.

Now if that number three is true, than this whole arguement has become null.

you are asking to be spoiled.

here is the detail

This is EA. They have always been greedy, but they usually fund solid games. THIS IS NOT NEWS TO PC GAMERS. I will buy the collector's edition (ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL) but this is because it's the last hurrah of the Mass Effect trilogy. They maybe other Mass Effects after this, however a Mass Effect I care about? Probably not, battling in a last ditch effort against extinction against mechanical space Cthulu(s) is certainly a hard act to follow.

Loop Stricken:

psicat:
And, I am going to buy Mass Effect 3.

I have enjoyed your logical, reasoned and well-debated reasoning and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Are you joking? All he said was that he was going to buy the game. I'm pre-ordering it, so if any praise is to be given it's to me.

boag:

SPOILER

Main difference is that even if you dont get the DLC the Prothean still gives all the Plot relevant information to Shep, and if you do get the DLC he actively joins you as a squadmate.

I hope that is true, if so then I have absolutely no problems with it. But, I haven't seen any evidence to that. Honestly, that's good DLC if that's true and my entire stance is reversed. I'd love to see some evidence to that, but as it is I have to presume the worst.

and i will buy mass effect 3 AND i will get DLC character with copy of a game because i will buy physical collectors edition.
don't like it don't buy it, and stop crying it's annoying. In the end you will see that you and every enraged person on the internet not getting ME3 will not make even a dent in sales.

Was this seriously worth making a thread about? Ooh! I'm not going to buy ME3! Woopdy flipping doo.

As for the DLC, if I find it's premise interesting, I'll buy it. Simple as that. If that means EA makes more money, then so be it.

Seriously, I'm getting a bit annoyed with this whole anti-ME3/EA fad that's going on here right now. The game isn't even out yet! Get over yourselves.

godofslack:

boag:

SPOILER

I hope that is true, if so then I have absolutely no problems with it. But, I haven't seen any evidence to that. Honestly, that's good DLC if that's true and my entire stance is reversed. I'd love to see some evidence to that, but as it is I have to presume the worst.

well there is no concrete proof about it until the game is out, so it could all be a sham.

but the Prothean was in the leaked scripts that months ago, and the fact that the DLC is a playable character and missions just solidifies evidence, the contrary stance would be that they took out the whole plot point of the prothean giving shep the info to the mcguffin. Which sounds more implausible than the former.

When ME3 was originally announced, I was really excited, but I sort of looked back and realised that ME & ME2 weren't really as good as I thought they were. They were just exciting and new because of their conversation system and their fairly interesting new universe. Looking back though, the dialogue goes from quite good to god-awful, the gameplay is alright, and the whole lore in the background started quite interesting, but now seems kind of like an M. Night Shyamalan movie with the number of bizarre twists. The whole EA/Bioware being fairly dickish thing is just icing on a big pile of indifference. I don't hate Bioware, I don't hate Mass Effect, but I probably would hate the way they were acting if I could just care enough.

I will probably pick it up used at some point, maybe if it goes on mega sale or in fact, probably just rent it.

Seeing as how I'm traveling to the land of dirt cheap products (America) its certainly on my buying list.
My guess is that its part of content that was cut from the original script when it was leaked. So am I grossly offended? No.
When you buy games from upwards of 100 dollars a lot of pricing comes off as arrogant whining when people are complaining about 60. Aussie, aussie, aussie...

I didn't plan on buying ME3 in the first place because I haven't played the first two. Even then, it's clear that what they're pulling here is bullshit.

I'd planned on buying the col. ed version from the beginning and i'm prolly still gonna but...

... RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck you BiowEAr... wish I could quit you...

So people say they're not going to buy ME3 because of this, which means they had the money to spare for ME3 but have now decided to not spend it on it.

So, what are you spending that money on? What in your normal day to day life is a much better investment? You don't need that money to live otherwise you wouldn't have considered spending it on trivial games in the first place, so what is better? Clothes? Drink? Extra food? What?

Why do gamers whine about inconsequential bullshit? This is pocket money, this isn't anything new that the gaming industry has invented, and I dunno about you but there's nothing that I would spend this money on that could be considered better than this.

Im going to buy ME3 because its a game series i enjoy and some people whining about "TEH SLIPRY SLOP!" wont change that.

Reading this thread has made me depressed.....depressed i only recently came into the money available to purchase mass effect 3...i was gonna purchase collectors edition....but i cant cause they stopped selling it...and reading through this...plus all the cools shit you get with collectors...makes me depressed and jealous of those who were able to afford it... its a sad world...

more out of my personal thing im surprised Zeel hasnt shown up in this thread screaming about: "i told you so" or something about how EA are evil corparate people ripping shit out of our games for money...before i posted i looked it up..appears he was suspended...he's gonna track this thread down im sure...eventually

OT: whatever..miss out on a good game your loss not mine. I would advise you not to forgo the game just because of this but hey its your decision

SajuukKhar:

8a88leph1sh:

As long as the DLC isn't REQUIRED to get the best ending in a game, and or is the games ending ,I.E. Fallout 3's Broken Steel DLC, then people have literally ZERO right to complain about when it comes out, what it contains, and how much it costs.

Zero right, huh? Lol. I love when publishers decide to try to see how much they can get away with it and people like you show up to their doorsteps with a bottle of wine and a tube of lube. This has to be the most ass-backwards industry around.

I'm getting the game because I wanna see how my FemShep's saga ends. And I'll be getting the CE because of all the extra goodies that come with it. Hell, the artbook alone had me by the balls (I like artbooks). And honestly after the reveal in ME2 that detailed (spectacularly, I think) the eventual fate of the protheans, I, and my Femshep, have said nothing short of "fuck all" to them ever since.

So fuck this TotalBiscuit guy or whatever the guy's name is that created that video, he has no say in what games I'll cop and enjoy.

While I'm annoyed by this, I'm still getting the game.

I highly doubt that this character is going to be central to the story. Most likely, Bioware will make the Prothean borderline psychotic, or have amnesia or something, because they're not going to give people a character that will just be able to explain EVERYTHING in the game. This is just another squad member, just because he/she/it is Prothean, does not make it plot-central, just lore-central.

And I've loved the series since Mass Effect first came out, so don't just say that I'm "not a fan".

Still, all this crap is a stupid idea. All EA is doing is causing people to get pissed and NOT buy their game. No one's gonna buy the Collector's Edition just because you get some extra content and a sketchbook.
Every gamer knew whether they were going to buy the game, and what edition they would buy, as soon as ME3 was officially announced.

I'm certainly not upgrading to collector's edition, but I'm not cancelling my order either on just some wild speculation that EA is witholding major plot events based on a quick announcement of DLC.

Meh. I will just buy it used then patch in the extra bullshit. I aint gonna touch it till I can remove Origin anyway.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked