[posible spoilers] the most anticlimactic bosses youve ever fought

Pages 1 2 NEXT

have you ever played through a game and reach the final boss in the quest chain and think... "WTF that was... too easy."?

It just happened to me.

So my fellow escapists has a 'final boss' ever caused you to go "I was waiting 12 hours for this???"

Nemeroth, He was my husbando yet he left me wanting. ;_;

The last boss of Mass Effect. I forget his name, but after I beat him, I was convinced that there was something else. It felt like one of those boss fights where you THINK you beat them, but then they power up/something bigger comes along. But then the credits rolled and I was left feeling very unsatisfied.

Nothing will ever beat Lucien. One shot, one kill, and if you take too long, General Melchett shoots him for you.

I apologise for the SPOILERS in my post, but I can't remember how to do those little spoiler box thingys. Nevertheless, you have been warned.

At first I thought of the final "boss" in The Darkness. He's not really a boss. He just dies like any other guy. You open the door and just shoot the guy and he goes down like any other goon in the game, albeit with a short cut scene after where you have to shoot him again or else he manages to retaliate and shoot back while he's down on the ground.

Then I remembered Fable 2. Even less happens. You just stand there. Reaver cuts off the bad guy's speech half way through with one gun shot. Worst. Final. Boss. Ever. It actually made me angry.

I also actually finished the main story of Skyrim today, but I didn't really feel like it was anti-climactic. Alduin was relatively easy to fight, but I wouldn't call him weak. The cut scene after he was killed gave a nice payoff too. And if you think about it, in some ways it's better than the ending of Oblivion where all you do is walk in a temple and then just stand as you watch everything happen in front of you. Granted, it does show you some awesome stuff, but you don't really have any hand in what's happening.

The final boss for Mass Effect 2. The really awesome suicide mission starts to build up tension, and the final thing you fight is so incredibly stupid and almost silly looking. The fight isn't even fun either, just tedious and annoying.

Trying to talk about it without giving too many spoilers for those who haven't played the game.

The Wizard in Overlord. Seriously, it was all about timing the color and zerg-ganking him.

BG2: Not the final final fight with him, but the way you could oneshot Irenicus on the tree...well, if you fought him properly, however, his contingencies and sequencers provided a tougher fight than the very definitely final battle. Which still was not easy.

Darth Malak? Run around like crazy, throwing your saber at him and things.

And let us not forget the hyped-up Killer Croc in Arkham City. Yeah, he was a reeeeeeal dangerous fella I was told.

Alduin is quite alright with some mods installed to make him more proper.

Oblivion main quest ending, on the other hand...

Soviet Heavy:
Nothing will ever beat Lucien. One shot, one kill, and if you take too long, General Melchett shoots him for you.

This. The first time I finished that game, I was actually letting him monologue and figured we'd fight after that. Then *boom*, dead. And not even by me. Such a complete let down of an ending.

Hmm, this may be just my opinion but the final boss of Valkyria Chronicles comes to mind.

Don't get me wrong, Valkyria Chronicles was a great game. But I kind of wished the final boss was a bit more climactic than, well, that.

Fallout 2 - the game didn't really need a final boss. Forcing you to fight Horrigan was just pointless.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - there was no point in physically fighting Kreia. She was never that kind of a threat in the first place.

I'm almost certain that there were more anti-climactic battles, but all I can think of right now is the final punch-up in Assassin's Creed 2. I just couldn't buy Ezio NOT taking Rodrigo Borgia's life...it seemed too contrived, like Ubisoft had suddenly realized that killing him in that year would actually fuck around with history. :/

Necron, from Final Fantasy IX. It's not that he was to easy or simplistic; it's just he came out of nowhere and was gone before any significant impact was had. It's one of my major "What the Fuck?" moments in gaming. They should have just left it with finishing Kuja and being done with it; the only blight in an otherwise awesome ending section.

the final boss in the expansion to dungeon siege 2.. after the final boss in the base game the expansions boss was very easy

Scrustle:
I apologise for the SPOILERS in my post, but I can't remember how to do those little spoiler box thingys. Nevertheless, you have been warned.

--snip--

I also actually finished the main story of Skyrim today, but I didn't really feel like it was anti-climactic. Alduin was relatively easy to fight, but I wouldn't call him weak. The cut scene after he was killed gave a nice payoff too. And if you think about it, in some ways it's better than the ending of Oblivion where all you do is walk in a temple and then just stand as you watch everything happen in front of you. Granted, it does show you some awesome stuff, but you don't really have any hand in what's happening.

as for the spoilers box you type spoiler and /spoiler with square brackets :)

I wouldnt say Alduin was weak either. It was just the rather intense battles I had on the approach to Sovngarde. Something like 6 high level melee undead all fus ro da-ing me all over the place and not to mention their mages. Then there was the tight battle I had with the Dragon Priest guarding the portal - I used up quite a few health pots in those fights.

that series of fights really built up excitement for me in the final battle - then the tenseness of Sovngarde was really exciting.

But Alduin? I was expecting him to summon waves of dragons or something similar given what Id seen him do earlier in the game. Instead it was just him. A dragonrend shout and less than a minute into the fight he was dead.

There was a Hulk game for the NES and Genesis with the final boss as the Leader. He just stands there laughing imune to your normal punch (litterally, he doesn't move or attack) and is finished off by one uppercut.

Soviet Heavy:

Actually, it's Reaver, not a general.

The fellow from the end of Fable 2

Oh, and the final bosses to Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 1/2 and Deus Ex.

kyosai7:

Soviet Heavy:

That reference went completely over your head didn't it?

Tazzy da Devil:
The last boss of Mass Effect. I forget his name, but after I beat him, I was convinced that there was something else. It felt like one of those boss fights where you THINK you beat them, but then they power up/something bigger comes along. But then the credits rolled and I was left feeling very unsatisfied.

Mass Effect? But, isn't that EXACTLY what happens?
You either fight Saren (or make him kill himself), and then fights him again in an altered, stronger form after Sovereign takes direct control?

Soo.. Either you are trolling, or you thought you were going to kill him a third time? After Sovereign itself had exploded?

Fontaine from Bioshock
Hive Mind from Deadspace
Satan from Castlevania LoS
Joker from Arkham Asylum
Dracula from Symphony of the Night if you use Alucard Shield + Shield Rod
Dracula from Order of Ecclesia (with a particular glyph union)
Bowser from New Super Mario Bros DS (NOT the Wii version--which was awesome)
Pope from Assassin's Creed 2 (can't remember his name right now)
Zarok from Medievil

Fable 2. You don't really, you know, fight the boss, you press a single button and it's over.

Soviet Heavy:

kyosai7:

Soviet Heavy:

That reference went completely over your head didn't it?

Yes, yes it did. I don't watch British humor.

Aris Khandr:

Soviet Heavy:

This. The first time I finished that game, I was actually letting him monologue and figured we'd fight after that. Then *boom*, dead. And not even by me. Such a complete let down of an ending.

Biggest case of Final Boss blue balls ever. Finally get to beat up the guy who killed your sister, shot you out of a window on his tallest tower, then enslaved half of continental Albion and what do you get? A cutscene. And if you take too long listening to him monologue, the game beats itself for you.

BTW nice Black Adder reference, would've loved it if Rowan Atkinson or Hugh Laurie made it in too.

Ahem...

YU FUCKING YEVON!!!

I mean, is that it?!?!

So we've been slogging through this ridiculous story to fight God and he's a DEER TICK!

WEAK!

Robert de Sable - Assassin's Creed

I did a grab (can't believe it worked). Then threw him to the ground and jumped him with the hidden blade. All over in less then 10 seconds.

Bulletstorm for sure, The final boss was what 1 QTE? then just cut scene... so disappointing.

Soviet Heavy:

Yup. This "boss" right here should be one of the first posts anyone makes on this kind of thread.

I'll go with a more recent example for myself, though: Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. I didn't really feel like I was coming up to any sort of final boss, and it was a pushover as well. Sure it was more difficult than every other boss in the game, but Dark Dawn was a VERY easy game. I certainly enjoyed playing it, but the final boss just left me kind of empty compared to the Fusion and Doom Dragons from the earlier Golden Suns.

That and the story just wasn't very good. At least to me. You spend the entire game looking for an item that is apparently essential to your quest; you NEVER use it at all even though it takes a spot in your inventory.

skyrim when you get to about level 40 with one of many super OP character builds you realize that you have only done a small amount of the game and that the rest will be very boring because from now on no enemy will ever again pose a threat to you or the dozens of redundant health potions, and money your lugging around.

skyrim really needed better combat along with a list of afew over things like multiplayer and a much higher level cap (built into a balanced leveling system were any 1 character can master all the skills in the game) it would be a much better game

Quantum Roberts:
Ahem...

YU FUCKING YEVON!!!

I mean, is that it?!?!

So we've been slogging through this ridiculous story to fight God and he's a DEER TICK!

WEAK!

You think that's bad? In Dragon Quest 8 you spend half the game chasing down Dhoulmagus, the evil jester who cursed your kingdom and is going on a murderous rampage across the world. You finally beat him, and nothing happens. However, in the ruins where you find him the spirits speak of Rhapthorne, the lord of darkness who once ruled the land. You then find that he is possessing people like he did Dhoulmagus and you chase him down in his various forms. Finally, you get to his castle, slog through it, and find the throne room. And what does this incredibly powerful lord of darkness, who you have been chasing all game as he casually murders people like they are nothing, and is hyped to bring about darkness to cover the whole world?

A FUCKING PURPLE FIREFLY WITH A WAND. I SPENT ALL GAME CHASING THIS DOWN AND FEARING THIS FIGHT.

Of course, he has a true form afterwards. And what is this?

A GIANT PURPLE FAT MAN WITH SPIKES.

One of my favorite games of all time, but god was Rhapthorne a letdown. At least there's another fight afterwards if you know where to go that's much better.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Alduin. What a fucking pansy.

Seriously, this is a major part of what I talked about last time concerning Skyrim. The final boss fight is so anticlimactic that it's not an actual ending, just another fight. It's not even just between Dovahkiin and Alduin, as it should have been. It's you and three super powered invincible dead guys who have all mastered the Voice. I was hardly able to do anything anyway, I got maybe five arrows in and he died. I didn't even get the final hit.

I can't help but think of Kain (2nd battle) in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. Sure, the cutscenes are great and all but you never feel satisfied landing cheap shots on him.

Ganon from Skyward Sword. I took him done easily and thought he would take on his second form like in the other zelda games but nope, that was it.

I agree that Alduin was pretty meh, but for disappointing bossfights nothing compares to the end of Borderlands.

The Undead Dragon in Gothic II is the first that jumps into my mind. Seriously, three or four 'Destroy Undead' spells and it's gone. Disappointing for what is otherwise a fantastic game.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked