Mass Effect 3 will be incomplete

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Zhukov:

SajuukKhar:
This thread again?

Well basically to sum up why Bioware is NOT scamming you1

1. the character is still in the game
2. the Dlc only makes him recruitable
3. the dlc is not needed to get the full story or best ending.

Where did you learn this?

Do you have a link?

Leaked script, read it.

TopazFusion:

Aerosteam 1908:
We have too many Mass Effect 3 threads on the forums of this website. Some are basically the same others. Like this one.

Indeed.
"Gaming Discussion" should be renamed "Mass Effect Discussion", wouldn't you agree?

For the moment, yes, certainly.

It's well known on this website that an ass-tonne of Skyrim threads were made here even before the game's launch. There should be a whole section of the forums called "Popular Game Discussion".

Also another section called "Recommendations" or something like that, too often I see a thread all about the OP asking questions like "I got a new console, recommend me some games" or "Want's a good anime I should get into". Some people fail to realize that the Internet already tells you these things, you don't need to make a thread on something you can't decide on or too lazy to search it yourself.

(Sorry, that was off-topic, but come on.)

Zeel:

Blunderboy:

Zeel:
Let me get this straight. Content is being removed for 10 extra dollars and the jury is in: It's okay because it's not vital? HUH!!!?

PLEASE DEFEND THE REMOVAL OF CONTENT NOT HOW INSIGNIFICANT YOU THINK IT IS.
I am sooooooooo tired of you guys mudding up the issue.

It's not being removed. It's being added.
Please stop making issues up.

"Added" Does original development cycle mean a thing to you? But lets just say its being added for argument sakes; why are they charging us 10 dollars or an extra 20 dollars for content that didn't cost them an additional dime? Fair? Or unethical?

You clearly dont understand the issue.

from reading this thread, i doubt it will matter what i say to you anyway, but bioware had this to say

The content in "From Ashes" was developed by a separate team (after the core game was finished) and not completed until well after the main game went into certification.

unless the actually flat out lied, i don't see what they have done wrong. the game was finished, then another team made the DLC.

suitepee7:

Zeel:

Blunderboy:

"Added" Does original development cycle mean a thing to you? But lets just say its being added for argument sakes; why are they charging us 10 dollars or an extra 20 dollars for content that didn't cost them an additional dime? Fair? Or unethical?

from reading this thread, i doubt it will matter what i say to you anyway, but bioware had this to say

The content in "From Ashes" was developed by a separate team (after the core game was finished) and not completed until well after the main game went into certification.

unless the actually flat out lied, i don't see what they have done wrong. the game was finished, then another team made the DLC.

Don't bother.

Apparently, if Bioware said that, then it must be a lie. You'd be better of banging your head against a brick wall with this one.

@rj17

1. Meh. That's a little bit of a grey issue for me. I understand game companies dont profit from used games, so they try to encourage new purchases. fine. what I don't like is how the customers are being punished when its the retail business that should be punished. my problem with Zaeed isn't that its for new players but that it wont work as a solution to the used game problem, but enough of that.

you've set it up in a way that 'essential' means 'without zaeed or Kasumi'. Anyone can argue like that. Well how do we know the character Miranda was essential. hell were reapers even essential in that game. If the only thing you consider essential is Get from point A to B. then almost everything is void. Still that is not the issue, who cares whats essential. Whats wrong is EA games taking out content just to sell it for more. That's the issue here.

Plus, if you ever do get Zaeed, i think your tune might change. He has a great mission with Vito (and apparently they are both canon since they'll be in me3) so now that does effect the story, doesn't it.

2. Sorry. Leaks speak differently. prothean character huge influence on lore and plot.

Fact: they also could've just kept it on the disc and everyone would be happy.
Fact: it wont be 100% the same, the prothean adds FURTHER exposition and lore to a game about story and EXPOSITION. trust me its fucking important.

When did game related memorabilia become ingame content. I'm fine with artbooks, soundtracks and sweaters but ingame content is crossing the line.

3. ARBOOKS AND SHIT ARE NOT THE ISSUE. THE ISSUE IS THE INGAME CONTENT.

Daystar Clarion:

Don't bother.

Apparently, if Bioware said that, then it must be a lie. You'd be better of banging your head against a brick wall with this one.

Everything a major company says is ALWAYS a 100% lie in some illumity level conspiracy attempt to scam people.

fact

/sarcasm.

Zeel:

Fact: it wont be 100% the same, the prothean adds FURTHER exposition and lore to a game about story and EXPOSITION. trust me its fucking important.

proof?

Ohh wait, you have none.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Yopaz:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I know, right? How dare the demand value for their money and condemn shameful business practices! Bunch of dicks.

You know this post doesn't really make you sound like the smartest person on this site. You're pretty much saying that we deserve value for our hard earned money, but that EA does not deserve to earn money for their work.

I am?

Explain how. Im listening.

Well you have a sarcastic comment pointing out that customers deserve good quality when they buy a product. Alone this comment doesn't say anything that we don't all agree on. However the post you quoted was saying that we whine because we have to pay full price in order to get the full game. So looking into the context it certainly seems like EA does not deserve our money, but we deserve their product.

00slash00:
-snip-

I won't go through and start quoting myself out of what I've been trying to get Mr. Zeel to understand, but I also don't want to keep repeating myself, so I'll give you the short version.

People don't buy the Collector's Edition for a couple DLC codes, people buy the CE because they want the memorabilia. They want the Shepard statue, the art book, the sound track, and all the other stuff that comes from it. Why do they want this stuff? Possibly because they're collectors...hence the term "Collector's" Edition. The fact that it happens to come with a DLC Prothean is just another bonus that comes with it.

Would it be any better for them to have said "Only people with the CE get the Prothean, and no one else"? Would that make you happy? Or would you be complaining that the Prothean isn't available to everyone else? Here they've gone and made it available to everyone, but it's a free bonus for the CE people.

Another point is that yes, this guy is a Prothean, and I highly suspect that all the rage about this is specifically because he's a Prothean. If it were just another human merc or something, no one would give a damn. Yes, you'll probably get additional insight and lore into the ME story as you do his sidequest, but after that I can only imagine he'll be like Zaeed and just stand in a corner of the ship spouting out random lines whenever you talk to him.

The overall point is that if he's DLC, he's not critical to the game. Would it be badass to have a Prothean on your team? Undoubtedly. But the game with or without the Prothean is going to be exactly the same, I promise you. If I'm wrong on this subject and the game is entirely different with extra battles and storylines and weapons and conversations and different people dying, then yeah, I'll admit I'm wrong and lead the march to EA's headquarters with a good ol' fashioned pitch-forks-and-torches mob. But judging by Bioware's previous history with DLC characters: they will be insignificant in the greater scheme of things.

As I had mentioned to Zeel: I just got done playing ME 2 without Zaeed...it was the same as every other run-through I've ever done, only I didn't get to do Zaeed's mission. Whoop-de-damn-doo.

In the end, it's a matter of perspective. You and Zeel are apparently pissed off that the CE version of the game gets a bonus that the standard version has to pay for. That's fine, I suppose. From my perspective, though, I think it's very nice of them to say "This character isn't exclusively as CE bonus, if you really want him you can get him as well." In which case the Prothean is no different than any other DLC character, the only difference is that he's available on day 1. To sum up my point: I'd much rather have the OPTION to get him if I want him rather than having no option at all.

SajuukKhar:

Daystar Clarion:

Don't bother.

Everything a major company says is ALWAYS a 100% lie in some illumity level conspiracy attempt to scam people.

fact

/sarcasm.

I know, right?

I mean, I bought a costume pack on UMVC3 the other day, and I could swear I felt drilling in the back of my head. Now I occasionally hear beeping.

Zeel:
Let me get this straight. Content is being removed for 10 extra dollars and the jury is in: It's okay because it's not vital? HUH!!!?

The content wasn't "removed" and then being priced at ten dollars, the content was for the collectors edition. Bioware then decided to make it available to players if they want to pay a little extra to add it to the standard edition.

ME2 players begged Bioware to see some of the CE content as DLC, it looks like that was a bad move because people are acting like self entitled baby's who just saw another kid with an icecream.

SajuukKhar:

Zeel:

proof?

Ohh wait, you have none.

I don't have time for this. Either follow the arguments or don't reply to me.

Yopaz:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Yopaz:

You know this post doesn't really make you sound like the smartest person on this site. You're pretty much saying that we deserve value for our hard earned money, but that EA does not deserve to earn money for their work.

I am?

Well you have a sarcastic comment pointing out that customers deserve good quality when they buy a product. Alone this comment doesn't say anything that we don't all agree on. However the post you quoted was saying that we whine because we have to pay full price in order to get the full game. So looking into the context it certainly seems like EA does not deserve our money, but we deserve their product.

Um... What? Sorry dude, still not feeling it.

My posts imply there is a certain standard that makes a game worth whatever you pay for it. People are getting a rotten deal with ME3, thats all I am saying. I dont understand how the hell you read my posts and came out of it with that conclusion.

We deserve something when we shell out 60 bucks for a game. We deserve a functional, fun experience, and we deserve not to be treated like thieves. Entitled? Yes, of course I am entitled, and I have every right to be. Its my money EA are getting. (or rather, not getting, in this particular case.)

Since when is expecting a product to fulfill a certain standard a bad thing? That notion is extremely backward.

J Tyran:

Zeel:

The content wasn't "removed" and then being priced at ten dollars, the content was for the collectors edition. Bioware then decided to make it available to players if they want to pay a little extra to add it to the standard edition.

ME2 players begged Bioware to see some of the CE content as DLC, it looks like that was a bad move because people are acting like self entitled baby's who just saw another kid with an icecream.

Its weird how this prothean dude appeared in numerous leaks over the last few months despite being something the team only worked on to bridge the gap to release, isnt it? The protheans must be more advanced than previous games implied, since that particular one seems to have gained the ability to travel through time.

suitepee7:

Zeel:

Blunderboy:

Sounds like a flat-out lie to me. All evidence points in the contrary. game didn't go gold until feburary 13th.

Even if they had an team focused on just developing DLC's. THAT EVEN WORSE. why not just use the fucking cash on polishing THE GOD DAMN GAME. Especially when the game isn't even fucking released.

Zeel:
I don't have time for this. Either follow the arguments or don't reply to me.

I have followed the argument, the problem is "the argument" has no substantiation to it and in fact goes against what Bioware said themselves.

1. The Prothean is not removed content. FACT.
2. The Porthean is still in the game even without the DLC. FACT.
3. The DLC ONLY adds him as a recruitable squadmate with the probability of some loyalty mission. FACT.
4. The DLC IS NOT needed to get a full understanding of the story. FACT.
5. The DLC IS NOT needed to get the best ending in the game. FACT.
6. The DLC took NO time away from the devlopment of the base game. FACT.

i wonder why i even bother some times its not like i can really change anything. i plan to enjoy the game so that should be enough right right??

Zeel:
Snip

And this is where I simply say "gg" and stop arguing with you. It's 100% a matter of perspective, as I just said in this quote:

RJ 17:
In the end, it's a matter of perspective. You and Zeel are apparently pissed off that the CE version of the game gets a bonus that the standard version has to pay for. That's fine, I suppose. From my perspective, though, I think it's very nice of them to say "This character isn't exclusively as CE bonus, if you really want him you can get him as well." In which case the Prothean is no different than any other DLC character, the only difference is that he's available on day 1. To sum up my point: I'd much rather have the OPTION to get him if I want him rather than having no option at all.

And before you say "It's not like any other DLC character! It's already on the disc!" Yeah, it's on the disc so people with the CE can have easy access to it.

So yeah, continue to get pissed off and complain about it if you really want to, guess you're just a "glass is half empty" type of person, and that's fine. But it's quite obvious that neither of us are going to convince the other. So boycott EA and Bioware and continue to rage. Personally I'll be happy that something that could have been a kick ass exclusive CE content is being made available to everyone else.

J Tyran:

Zeel:

To me this is even worse: Wasting resources on developing ingame content thats not avaliable to everyone is the pinnacle of evil business tactics. If EA game is in the position to fund and develop content for the game, they should just include it in the game. Not say "lets make the original game" and 'special content' for collectors editions.

RJ 17:

Zeel:
Snip

And this is where I simply say "gg" and stop arguing with you. It's 100% a matter of perspective, as I just said in this quote:

RJ 17:

And before you say "It's not like any other DLC character! It's already on the disc!" Yeah, it's on the disc so people with the CE can have easy access to it.

So yeah, continue to get pissed off and complain about it if you really want to, guess you're just a "glass is half empty" type of person, and that's fine. But it's quite obvious that neither of us are going to convince the other. So boycott EA and Bioware and continue to rage. Personally I'll be happy that something that could have been a kick ass exclusive CE content is being made available to everyone else.

Fair enough. I don't want to hear from you how I've "ignored your points" or I'm just a 'troll".

Zeel:

Krion_Vark:

Um you put in an extra word there. Or are you also of the impression that all the extra characters in ME2 are also essential because

No. Just ones highly related to the lore. you know the protheans were the entire reason the series began. You know that right? this is like saying you can have mass effect 3 without shepard. or without Asari's are turians. Perhaps it is possible, but all of this come together to build the universe. a Prothean squadmate fills in many gaps in the lore.

I played through without any of them and it didn't change how much I liked the game or how much I got out of the game either. New weapon isn't too hard to do. Eden Prime they pretty much have all concept art and some coding from the first game. As for making the extra squad mate a Protheon. They have concept art from them from BOTH games. So yeah I believe that you can put out a new squad mate an area and weapon in three weeks.
Also the squad mate isn't mentioned in the leaks exactly. They say that you will get a new squad mate weapon and area they however DO NOT say who/what that squad mate is. Also note how this is a bonus for the COLLECTORS edition. Usually things that are included as bonuses don't mean much to the rest of the game and are pretty useless besides aesthetic reasons or to throw a few more lines of lore in there. From the first game you know the fate of the entire Protheon Civilization. In ME2 you learn what the Reapers do to the Protheons. What exactly can the Protheon Squad mate add to the Protheon knowledge that hasn't already been addressed in the previous too games? Is he going to be like Skarner who always says "I miss my kind." and generally be a complete emo?

Okay, I don't care for this post. make a point don't just go blah blah blah.

That IS my point. We already KNOW about the Protheons. Having on in your crew will not add anything. You know how they lived from the first one IE Vigil if you actually talk to him and the codex. Then in 2 you know what the reapers did to them IE the Collectors. Maybe read what I wrote next time?

tony2077:
i wonder why i even bother some times its not like i can really change anything. i plan to enjoy the game so that should be enough right right??

If you enjoy the game enough to justify spending 60 or 80 bucks on it despite possibly disagreeing with the publishers business practices, it is enough.

(Not being sarcastic, by the way. It is more than enough. If you think ME3 will be the greatest thing since sliced bread go ahead and preorder it buddy. Enjoy it. Love it. Feel it. Marry it. Take it on a honeymoon. Its all good.)

Zeel:

suitepee7:

Zeel:

Sounds like a flat-out lie to me. All evidence points in the contrary. game didn't go gold until feburary 13th.

Even if they had an team focused on just developing DLC's. THAT EVEN WORSE. why not just use the fucking cash on polishing THE GOD DAMN GAME. Especially when the game isn't even fucking released.

gold means it ready to be sold in stores but they still have to wait for the release date some send it to stores before then but only about a few days or a week before

RJ 17:

Zeel:
Snip

RJ 17:

Actually, wait, i actually read this post. So, let me get this straight. EA games could afford to develop, produce the content and its already shipped on the disc but because we don't want to buy the collectors editions its denied to us. This is somehow a good thing? It's not exclusive content if its on the disc good sir. if it's on the disc its part of the full game.Just because you benefit from it, does not mean its right.

tony2077:

Zeel:

suitepee7:

gold means it ready to be sold in stores but they still have to wait for the release date some send it to stores before then but only about a few days or a week before

yes. pretty much. Ready to ship to stores = game complete.

RJ 17:

well i agree with you there. im glad us common folk who dont have the CE can still pay for him to be in the game, but i still feel that it should have come free with both versions. as you said, the only reason people get the collectors edition of games is because theyre collectors or want something to physically remember the game by. so i dont really so any real reason to secretly give them free dlc that everyone else needs to pay for. if the dlc wasnt meant to be public knowledge, and it wouldnt have been the real selling point of the CE, wouldnt it make more sense for the dlc to come free with every non-used copy of the game. i mean i cant say ill be buying it used because 1. i like to support developers by buying new as much as possible and 2. well, im a pc gamer so buying games used isnt as easy for me. that being said, i can see a lot of people using this as an excuse to buy the game used because they dont benefit from buying it new

Who says that it is on the disk?

How do you know it doesn't just download from like Xbox live?

How do you know it isn't just on the collectors edition disks and not the others?

Krion_Vark:

Zeel:

Krion_Vark:

Um you put in an extra word there. Or are you also of the impression that all the extra characters in ME2 are also essential because

No. Just ones highly related to the lore. you know the protheans were the entire reason the series began. You know that right? this is like saying you can have mass effect 3 without shepard. or without Asari's are turians. Perhaps it is possible, but all of this come together to build the universe. a Prothean squadmate fills in many gaps in the lore.

I played through without any of them and it didn't change how much I liked the game or how much I got out of the game either. New weapon isn't too hard to do. Eden Prime they pretty much have all concept art and some coding from the first game. As for making the extra squad mate a Protheon. They have concept art from them from BOTH games. So yeah I believe that you can put out a new squad mate an area and weapon in three weeks.
Also the squad mate isn't mentioned in the leaks exactly. They say that you will get a new squad mate weapon and area they however DO NOT say who/what that squad mate is. Also note how this is a bonus for the COLLECTORS edition. Usually things that are included as bonuses don't mean much to the rest of the game and are pretty useless besides aesthetic reasons or to throw a few more lines of lore in there. From the first game you know the fate of the entire Protheon Civilization. In ME2 you learn what the Reapers do to the Protheons. What exactly can the Protheon Squad mate add to the Protheon knowledge that hasn't already been addressed in the previous too games? Is he going to be like Skarner who always says "I miss my kind." and generally be a complete emo?

Okay, I don't care for this post. make a point don't just go blah blah blah.

That IS my point. We already KNOW about the Protheons. Having on in your crew will not add anything. You know how they lived from the first one IE Vigil if you actually talk to him and the codex. Then in 2 you know what the reapers did to them IE the Collectors. Maybe read what I wrote next time?

I'm not going to waste more than sentence debunking this; Protheans can and THEY WILL add more to the story. Read the links or wait till the release. however if you're uninformed, shut up about it.

Zeel:

tony2077:

Zeel:

yes. pretty much. Ready to ship to stores = game complete.

yes it does but they could still be done the game before then it just before then the publisher didn't have it so it wasn't ready to be sold in store. i think the devs make a main copy then the publisher or something makes more from it

SajuukKhar:

How do you know it isn't just on the collectors edition disks and not the others?

we don't know. it certainly was ready intime to be put on the disc and is likely on the disc.

Feb 8th it was revealed
feb 13th game went gold.

Zeel:

SajuukKhar:

we don't know. it certainly was ready intime to be put on the disc and is likely on the disc.

Feb 8th it was revealed
feb 13th game went gold.

can you link this February eight stuff please

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Yopaz:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I am?

Um... What? Sorry dude, still not feeling it.

My posts imply there is a certain standard that makes a game worth whatever you pay for it. People are getting a rotten deal with ME3, thats all I am saying. I dont understand how the hell you read my posts and came out of it with that conclusion.

We deserve something when we shell out 60 bucks for a game. We deserve a functional, fun experience, and we deserve not to be treated like thieves. Entitled? Yes, of course I am entitled, and I have every right to be. Its my money EA are getting. (or rather, not getting, in this particular case.)

Since when is expecting a product to fulfill a certain standard a bad thing? That notion is extremely backward.

J Tyran:

Zeel:

Its weird how this prothean dude appeared in numerous leaks over the last few months despite being something the team only worked on to bridge the gap to release, isnt it? The protheans must be more advanced than previous games implied, since that particular one seems to have gained the ability to travel through time.

Well, you do in fact get a fully functional game for the price of 60 bucks. You get the full game for a price of 60 bucks. Those who buy the collector's edition get extra content and that's not unheard of. They get some side quests and an extra squad member.
Those who don't buy the collector's edition wont miss out on it if they want it. They can still get it if they feel like it. Bioware has confirmed this will not be a huge part of the story so that's bullshit. This isn't really a big deal. Sure. it's not nice, but this isn't something you haven't seen before. It's just the first time (as I know at least) you see the collector's edition's extra content also released as DLC.

Zeel:

J Tyran:

Zeel:

To me this is even worse: Wasting resources on developing ingame content thats not avaliable to everyone is the pinnacle of evil business tactics. If EA game is in the position to fund and develop content for the game, they should just include it in the game. Not say "lets make the original game" and 'special content' for collectors editions.

You do know that paying more money for more product is one of the basic principles of consumerism right? Pay more money get a bigger car or a fancier phone, computer and so on. Its not a waste of resources at all, its just investing more during development so they can ship a higher priced premium product.

Do Apple waste resources when they sell an i-pad with more features than the base model? Of course not, unless the product doesn't sell well enough to be worth the investment.

tony2077:
but do you honestly think the sole survivor of the reaper exctinction has nothing of value to add to the plot? I mean nothing at all? How do you think Shepard wins? could it be GASP the same way he won in me1 with help from the protheans. No, that can't fucking be it. Adding to lore also affects it by the way. Exposition in an RPG is also important.

He could just be a clone you rescue from a Cerberus lab and know nothing beyond his immediate circumstances, or he could be a simple soldier or technician with no great insight and Shepard wakes him up after spending tens of millennia in cryo or something.

Zeel:

SajuukKhar:

Feb 8th it was revealed
feb 13th game went gold.

The game went gold in January, if the game had gone gold in February it wouldn't be out till April or May.

It isn't possible to certify, print, and ship a game in less then 1 months time.

InB4 the game comes out and everyone complaining buys it anyways.

tony2077:

Zeel:

SajuukKhar:

Feb 8th it was revealed
feb 13th game went gold.

can you link this February eight stuff please

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/334951/mass-effect-3-dlc-leaks-called-from-dust/

Zeel:
snip

Oh I wouldn't call you a troll or anything, as I said: this is all just a matter of perspective. To put it in Geth terms: we simply cannot reach consensus. :P

And you're missing my point. The Prothean in question is 100% a bonus for the CE version. That's why he's on the disc already: so people with the CE can easily unlock their bonus without having to actually download anything extra. He's no different than the Black Hole cannon as far as content is concerned. The gun was already on the game but locked off to everyone who didn't pre-order. This guy is on the game but locked off to everyone who didn't get the CE. What I'm saying is that, unlike the black hole cannon, they're actually offering those who really want this guy the chance to get him. Don't want him? Think it's unfair that the CE gets him as part of the CE bundle and the standard version has to pay for him? Then don't get him. Problem solved.

Gahhh! Already got sucked back into the argument I just said I was leaving. Just do what you gotta do. Buy the game or not. Buy the character or not. Personally I'm getting the game still, and I'll likely end up downloading the character. Why? Because it sounds great, and I'm thankful that he isn't exclusively CE content. All we have here is pessimism vs optimism. You say it's bad that he's free to some and others have to pay, I say it's good that the others even have a chance to get him as I'd rather that be the case than have him being exclusively to the CE only.

Just real quick, can't remember if you ever directly answered this question: if he was CE only, standard version couldn't even pay to buy him, would that make you happy?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked