is it worth getting psp?

since the vita has launched psps are relatively cheap, and always wanted one so i was wandering weather i should bother getting one? views and opinions muchly appreciated

There is a huge library and if you get a newish PSP 3000 or Go you have a lot you can do with them still. But I wouldnt spend over 100 bucks on one, the mem cards for the PSPs arent all that cheap either and I doubt Sony supports the PSP much anymore other than in Asia.

I just bought mine. Apart from the no memory and crappy wifi support, I like it a lot. No WPA2, though. O_o

just keep a few things in mind:

-psp go: digital only, often more expensive (at least here in eu)
-psp e1000: DO NOT BUY THIS!!! (eu/aus budget version with functions removed and still costlier then a american 3k)
-psp 1-3k: all are cheap and quite good, some small screen and thickness differences mostly.

And you can only play some digital psp tiles on a ps vita if you'd ever be interested in one. (but can pay extra to unlock digital from a physical copy, evil Sony -.-)

and imo a psp is decent, personally didn't find as many titles i liked but it wasn't all bad.

Yes. And there are a ton of good games you can play on it, plus the PSone classics from the Playstation Store. Whatever you chose, just be careful not to buy the latest e1000 model which is a stripped down version of the standard PSP model. I forbid you to buy that model. :-)

thanks for the advice. id have to give it some more thought before i decide what im going to do.

If you have NO intention of buying a Vita in the near future, I say go for it. Bought mine last year, and I don't regret the purchase.

And here's a short list of games you REALLY should get for it:

Lumines (basically the PSP's answer to Tetris. Except I PREFER Lumines to Tetris)

Persona 3 Portable (one of the best RPGs on the system. Or any system, for that matter)

Half-Minute Hero (a very... different kind of RPG. It's kinda hard to describe, just look it up for yourself.)

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (a prequel in the Kingdom Hearts series. If you've never played a Kingdom Hearts game, this is actually a good place to start.)

Dissidia: Final Fantasy (one of the most unique fighting games I've played in quite some time.)

So, yeah, if you're a fan of RPGs, the PSP has you set.

markisb:
since the vita has launched psps are relatively cheap, and always wanted one so i was wandering weather i should bother getting one? views and opinions muchly appreciated

ANSWER: Yes. The PSP has an assortment of nice games and things to use with it. This includes movies on the go if you're okay with that. It wins because it's not the Vita, which has very little right now. So, you're good for at least a few YEARS.

Yes, if you have no intention of getting a Vita, get a PSP, it's pretty cheap....

Remember to only get 1-3K

To add a little bit to the short list....

Tactics Ogre, Let us cling together (timeless classic)

Persona 3 portable (mentioning it again because this game is just AWESOME)

Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII (Almost a must have)

Phantasy Star portable (if you like mmo style grinding and gaming)

Midnight Club LA Remix (personal fav for racing on PSP)

Hopefully it would help

FalloutJack:
It wins because it's not the Vita, which has very little right now.

I don't really see how that works as the PSV can play PSP games too.

Ya, it's more expensive, but you get a bigger screen, a 2nd analog stick (works with some PSP games) and it's "future proof".

deadish:

FalloutJack:

Ya, it's more expensive, but you get a bigger screen, a 2nd analog stick (works with some PSP games) and it's "future proof".

Uhhh...unless you can show me some definite proof that Sony has changed its mind from previous assertions of NO backwards compatibility for the Vita (because that was certainly a fact, not opinion), I would suggest not buying out of mistaken information.

FalloutJack:

deadish:

FalloutJack:

Uhhh...unless you can show me some definite proof that Sony has changed its mind from previous assertions of NO backwards compatibility (because that was certainly a fact, not opinion), I would suggest not buying out of mistaken information.

Q: Is PS Vita compatible with other PlayStation platform games like PS3, PS2, or PSP? Do you have any plan to support other PlayStation platforms in the future?
A: Users can play PSP titles which are offered on PS Store. We do no have any plans to make PS Vita compatible with PS3 or PS2 titles at this point.

- http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=2254

Which is a good majority of the titles that people give a crap about.

Sony doesn't have anything against BC - this paranoid attitude that Sony is somehow out to get us is getting very tiring. The PS2 was perfectly BC with the PS1. The PSP was BC with the PS1. BC with the PS2 was dropped in the later PS3 units simply due to cost - and no Sony did not disable BC on earlier units that were capable of it.

deadish:

FalloutJack:

deadish:

Uhhh...unless you can show me some definite proof that Sony has changed its mind from previous assertions of NO backwards compatibility (because that was certainly a fact, not opinion), I would suggest not buying out of mistaken information.

Q: Is PS Vita compatible with other PlayStation platform games like PS3, PS2, or PSP? Do you have any plan to support other PlayStation platforms in the future?
A: Users can play PSP titles which are offered on PS Store. We do no have any plans to make PS Vita compatible with PS3 or PS2 titles at this point.

- http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=2254

Which is a good majority of the titles that people give a crap about.

Sony doesn't have anything against BC - this paranoid attitude that Sony is somehow out to get us is getting very tiring. The PS2 was perfectly BC with the PS1. The PSP was BC with the PS1. BC with the PS2 was dropped in the later PS3 units simply due to cost - and no Sony did not disable BC on earlier units that were capable of it.

Hah, no no... Not downloadable titles. Games for PSP that people already own. Like...all the ones I have already. Why the flying Japanese hell should I want to buy them again? I happen to not like redundancy, and have both a life of my own and a nice girl to spend my money on. THAT was the point.

FalloutJack:

Hah, no no... Not downloadable titles. Games for PSP that people already own. Like...all the ones I have already. Why the flying Japanese hell should I want to buy them again? I happen to not like redundancy, and have both a life of my own and a nice girl to spend my money on. THAT was the point.

The OP never had a PSP before, and therefore has no UMD based PSP games, so there is nothing for him to re-buy.

Also Sony already explained it,

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115954-Sony-Why-we-Nixed-the-UMD-Transfer-System

I find the explanation pretty reasonable.

If you don't and don't want to accept it. Well, it's kind of your problem. LOL There isn't much anyone can do about that.

Definitely. There's a cracking library of games available, and it'll be cheap.

Grab either a PSP-2000 or 3000, I'd recommend. Generally, I'd avoid the Go, I think it's digital only. Don't forget to grab some memory cards as well.

Game wise, here's what I'd recommend:

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - awesome hack-and-slash RPG, a neat prequel to the original.
Daxter - great platformer in the Jak and Daxter-verse.
Dissidia: Final Fantasy [duodecim] - A brilliant 1-on-1 fighter that's unlike any other on the market, and features an awesome RPG system behind it.
Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection - 2 games in 1, revamped graphics, one of the best games in the series.
God of War: Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta - essentially, the PS2 games for quality, but on a mini-platform.
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep - the most well-made spin-off in the series. Beautiful graphics and music, solid gameplay.
LocoRoco 1 and 2 - the best and cutest damn puzzler in the world. A must-buy.
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and Peace Walker - both incredibly well-made and gorgeous graphics.
Persona 3 Portable - the best RPG on the PS2, with extra stuff.

Obviously after all that, there's even the PSOne Classics you can look through on the SEN as well. Go for it.

deadish:

FalloutJack:

The OP never had a PSP before, and therefore has no UMD based PSP games, so there is nothing for him to re-buy.

Also Sony already explained it,

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115954-Sony-Why-we-Nixed-the-UMD-Transfer-System

I find the explanation pretty reasonable.

If you don't and don't want to accept it. Well, it's kind of your problem. LOL There isn't much anyone can do about that.

Nonsense, deadish person! Yours is the charming "It can't be helped" way and mine is the "Hello, I have the fucking money and you can't have any" way. Sony sometimes forgets that it is trying to make money through quality purchases, the reason anybody ever liked them ever. That being what they ultimately want, you vote with your wallet. And unless I missed something, the polls haven't been swinging too strongly in the Vita's direction. I certainly haven't. Since everything is at stake for Sony and nothing is for me, because I don't want a Vita, the one who has the problem is obviously the company.

As for the OP, he'll have to just formulate his own opinion with the info we're giving him.

EscapeGoat:

Grab either a PSP-2000 or 3000, I'd recommend. Generally, I'd avoid the Go, I think it's digital only. Don't forget to grab some memory cards as well.

That said, it might be a better idea to buy digital copies rather than UMD based ones as they are "future proof" - you can play them on a PSV should you decide to get one in the future. Not to mention, Sony isn't going to make PSP forever you know.

FalloutJack:

Nonsense, deadish person! Yours is the charming "It can't be helped" way and mine is the "Hello, I have the fucking money and you can't have any" way. Sony sometimes forgets that it is trying to make money through quality purchases, the reason anybody ever liked them ever. That being what they ultimately want, you vote with your wallet. And unless I missed something, the polls haven't been swinging too strongly in the Vita's direction. I certainly haven't. Since everything is at stake for Sony and nothing is for me, because I don't want a Vita, the one who has the problem is obviously the company.

As for the OP, he'll have to just formulate his own opinion with the info we're giving him.

I'm just trying to tell you, it's just a business decision they made. They are not out to screw you.

They did the sums and concluded it's not feasible for them to bring the UMD passport system over. They are a business. They have to manage risk. They have to turn a profit. There are limits to what they can do.

If some people are avoiding a PSV because of that. Well, too bad for Sony. You win some, you lose some. That's business, that's life.

deadish:

EscapeGoat:

That said, it might be a better idea to buy digital copies rather than UMD based ones as they are "future proof" - you can play them on a PSV should you decide to get one in the future. Not to mention, Sony isn't going to make PSP forever you know.

That's a fair point, but if you have a PSP and UMD copies, even if you bought the Vita, you'd still be able to play your old PSP games - just, not on the Vita. Admittedly, I'm assuming you wouldn't be selling your PSP in order to buy the Vita (mostly on account of the fact that I don't think you'd get an awful lot for one, but maybe I'm wrong and there's an intense market for pre-owned PSP).

You call the Digital copies "future proof" and that may be so, but wouldn't having the physical copies on UMD be a safer bet? If something happens to your memory card and you lose your copy of the game, I feel Sony are unlikely to offer you a replacement - although, I admit, I'm not aware of how many times you're welcome to download a game after you've bought it, but I assume there's a cap.

Finally, even if Sony don't make PSPs forever - which they won't, you're right - but there will still be parts shops and warehouses knocking about the internet who can offer PSP repairs should something slip up.

EscapeGoat:

That's a fair point, but if you have a PSP and UMD copies, even if you bought the Vita, you'd still be able to play your old PSP games - just, not on the Vita. Admittedly, I'm assuming you wouldn't be selling your PSP in order to buy the Vita (mostly on account of the fact that I don't think you'd get an awful lot for one, but maybe I'm wrong and there's an intense market for pre-owned PSP).

You call the Digital copies "future proof" and that may be so, but wouldn't having the physical copies on UMD be a safer bet? If something happens to your memory card and you lose your copy of the game, I feel Sony are unlikely to offer you a replacement - although, I admit, I'm not aware of how many times you're welcome to download a game after you've bought it, but I assume there's a cap.

Finally, even if Sony don't make PSPs forever - which they won't, you're right - but there will still be parts shops and warehouses knocking about the internet who can offer PSP repairs should something slip up.

Well, you can lose/break UMDs too you know. Your PSP will break sooner or later - everything breaks sooner or later. Having to looking for replacements or fixes for an "out of production" product seem like a lot of (avoidable) trouble.

Being able to play your PSP games on your PSV seem like a pretty nice thing to have too, bigger screen, 2nd analog stick and all.

If I were to buy a PSP now, I would go full digital. I don't see any down side to be honest. Not to mention they will run better (faster loading) and are easier on the battery.

deadish:

Well, you can lose/break UMDs too you know. Your PSP will break sooner or later - everything breaks sooner or later. Having to looking for replacements or fixes for an "out of production" product seem like a lot of (avoidable) trouble.

Being able to play your PSP games on your PSV seem like a pretty nice thing to have too, bigger screen, 2nd analog stick and all.

If I were to buy a PSP now, I would go full digital. I don't see any down side to be honest. Not to mention they will run better (faster loading) and are easier on the battery.

That's true, which I suppose makes it a moot point. I'd rather have the physical UMD - I reckon they're pretty sturdy. I mean, I've owned a PSP for about 3 years now and none of my UMDs have broken. Admittedly, I take care of my games, and I've never lost any of the few digital copies I own either. Still, it's like with other physical vs. digital mediums - I'll always prefer owning the physical.

I reckon there will still be support and parts for PSPs for a while now as well. They're fragile things if you don't take care of them properly, so there will still be a small market for parts. It does sound like hassle, that's true, but we have no idea what the support will be like for the Vita yet - for all we know it may well be poor, which would moot this point as well.

You're right in saying that the advantages of the Vita - i.e., bigger screen, dual analog support (although, that's only on selected games, by the sound of it) - will be nice advantages, but that's never really sold it for me.

I think the main downside to going digital now is that PSP game prices for digital copies will still be higher than physical copies. Physical copies can come at dirt-cheap prices, especially if you're willing to buy pre-owned, and with the Vita being as expensive as it is, I think it's worth trying to save as much money as you can.

EscapeGoat:

That's true, which I suppose makes it a moot point. I'd rather have the physical UMD - I reckon they're pretty sturdy. I mean, I've owned a PSP for about 3 years now and none of my UMDs have broken. Admittedly, I take care of my games, and I've never lost any of the few digital copies I own either. Still, it's like with other physical vs. digital mediums - I'll always prefer owning the physical.

I reckon there will still be support and parts for PSPs for a while now as well. They're fragile things if you don't take care of them properly, so there will still be a small market for parts. It does sound like hassle, that's true, but we have no idea what the support will be like for the Vita yet - for all we know it may well be poor, which would moot this point as well.

You're right in saying that the advantages of the Vita - i.e., bigger screen, dual analog support (although, that's only on selected games, by the sound of it) - will be nice advantages, but that's never really sold it for me.

I think the main downside to going digital now is that PSP game prices for digital copies will still be higher than physical copies. Physical copies can come at dirt-cheap prices, especially if you're willing to buy pre-owned, and with the Vita being as expensive as it is, I think it's worth trying to save as much money as you can.

The way I see it, UMDs are an obsolete medium, support for them is ending. I feel it isn't prudent to invest in them.

deadish:

The way I see it, UMDs are an obsolete medium, support for them is ending. I feel it isn't prudent to invest in them.

Which is why we could have this argument for an age :P I admit my preference for a physical medium.

If you're planning on buying a PSP, like the OP, I'd still say get UMDs. They're cheaper on the whole, and since he didn't mention getting a Vita, perhaps backwards compatibility isn't an issue for him. It's not like if he got a Vita after getting a PSP he couldn't play his UMDs. If he planned on getting a Vita instead of a PSP then yeah, you'd need to go digital, but if not, you might as well save money. That saving is the return from the investment in them.

EscapeGoat:

Which is why we could have this argument for an age :P I admit my preference for a physical medium.

If you're planning on buying a PSP, like the OP, I'd still say get UMDs. They're cheaper on the whole, and since he didn't mention getting a Vita, perhaps backwards compatibility isn't an issue for him. It's not like if he got a Vita after getting a PSP he couldn't play his UMDs. If he planned on getting a Vita instead of a PSP then yeah, you'd need to go digital, but if not, you might as well save money. That saving is the return from the investment in them.

Well, I don't really have a problem with physical medium, just obsolete ones which I feel aren't a prudent investment.

Not to mention, the lines between them are starting to blur. Digital downloads for the PSV are practically "physical media" as they are stored on memory cards and are really no different from the brick and mortar store bought games - it's just that you get to choose which and how many games go on which memory card.

In the end it's all data. The important thing is the data and how "portable" it is - it's resilience to lossage is also be a factor.

I got a PSP in the last year, and I've been quite happy with it. I've been playing Chains of Olympus and it amazes me that this is old, obsolete technology. That game looks ridiculously good for something on a handheld. In addition to all the PSP games you can also buy an entire library of PS1 games--replayed FF7 on there and it was as awesome as I remembered.

I doubt it's not been said already but coming from someone who got the original then upgraded to a Slim & Lite:

-Fantastic games. FF Tactics, Crisis Core, Patapon, Locoroco, Dissidia, God of War, Exit, Daxter, R&C, Wipeout, Burnout, Medal of Honor, GTA, Lumines, Killzone, Everybody's Golf and Monster Hunter, to name my favourites off the top of my head.

-Using nasty software that I'm not sure will help my forum life if I explicitly mention is really rewarding. Even if you don't download any full games like me, you can run a variety of emulators for the SNES, GBA, GBC, N64 and some others, so you essentially have an entire back catalogue of games from past generations.

It's probably my favourite consoles, because by 'unlocking' it, so to speak, it becomes so many other consoles wrapped together.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked