50.5% (96)
50.5% (96)
Unsure
14.7% (28)
14.7% (28)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Will the PS2 outlive the PS3?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Simple question. The PS2 is still selling and still has games coming out for it. Could it possibly outlive its "successor"?

I'd say that it will, because only after the release of "Last of Us" will I actively seek out purchase of a PS3. By that time, Sony will be putting more time and effort into the PS4. That is what you call a failure to connect to customers.

Forlong:
Simple question. The PS2 is still selling and still has games coming out for it. Could it possibly outlive its "successor"?

I'd say that it will, because only after the release of "Last of Us" will I actively seek out purchase of a PS3. By that time, Sony will be putting more time and effort into the PS4. That is what you call a failure to connect to customers.

What you call a failure to connect with customers, I call a success of the previous generation. How long has it been since the Gamecube and X-Box have stopped getting games? And you think that speaks good of their successors?!

You have a strange way of measuring success...

Iwata:
What you call a failure to connect with customers, I call a success of the previous generation. How long has it been since the Gamecube and X-Box have stopped getting games? And you think that speaks good of their successors?!

The PS2 was a major success. The PS3 is a failure. Know the difference. Not like I'm a Sony hater. I own more PS2 games than games for any other console. I was on board, I would have bought the PS3. But Sony had to weigh it down and turn it into a waste of my money. Only four years after the release will I actually look for one to buy (not even a definite purchase). Gamecube and Xbox games no longer needed to be made because sales for the Xbox 360 and Wii started strong.

Forlong:

Iwata:

The PS2 was a major success. The PS3 is a failure. Know the difference. Not like I'm a Sony hater. I own more PS2 games than games for any other console. I was on board, I would have bought the PS3. But Sony had to weigh it down and turn it into a waste of my money. Only four years after the release will I actually look for one to buy (not even a definite purchase). Gamecube and Xbox games no longer needed to be made because sales for the Xbox 360 and Wii started strong.

Are you kidding?! you think the PS2 is still in business because it's trying to catch up to the GC and X-Box?!

Also, calling the PS3 a failure is nonsense. The console just hit the mid-point of its estimated life. I remember hearing the same "PS2 is a failure" speech years ago, and in the end, it was the best, most-sold console of its generation.

You're being premature.

Iwata:
Are you kidding?! you think the PS2 is still in business because it's trying to catch up to the GC and X-Box?!

Also, calling the PS3 a failure is nonsense. The console just hit the mid-point of its estimated life. I remember hearing the same "PS2 is a failure" speech years ago, and in the end, it was the best, most-sold console of its generation.

You're being premature.

Saying that the PS2 is catching up to the Gamecube and Xbox is just dumb. Good thing I didn't say that, as anyone who actually read my post could tell. The PS2 outsold both consoles combined. The PS3 hasn't even gotten close to those sales. Calling it a failure is a bit harsh though. It failed at general appeal, that's for sure.

Also, assuming that the PS3 has 6 more years in its life is just ridiculous. The console has barely any games coming out for it this year because people are gearing for the PS4. People will stop buying PS3s when that comes out, especially if it plays PS3 games. Nope. Like most consoles of this generation, it has a year or two left in its life-span.

Iwata:

Forlong:

Iwata:

You're being premature.

You really think the PS3 is going to have a 10 year life cycle? I consider a life cycle to be ended when a new one begins and I can assure you that the PS4 will be out before 2016, probably next year.

I agree that the PS2 did seem to be a bigger success (I definitely wouldnt call the PS3 a failure by any means though!), but if you're suggesting the PS3 and its library of games with vanish from the market and games will be made for the PS2 again, then... no, I can promise you that will never happen. The PS2 and its relatively small capabilities cannot compete in today's market. This is like saying VHS tapes were a greater success than DVDs were at the time, so DVDs will disappear and everyone will go back to VHS.

Crono1973:

Iwata:

Forlong:

You're being premature.

You really think the PS3 is going to have a 10 year life cycle? I consider a life cycle to be ended when a new one begins and I can assure you that the PS4 will be out before 2016, probably next year.

Then the PS2 didn't outlast the PS3 and this whole discussion is meaningless.

The PS2 was easier to program for and it did not require a small fortune to make a game. Thus more people made games for it and it's library had many games. As the number of games increased so did the amount of classics and great games. The PS3 just does not have a strong enough library and I think partially because potential developers are focusing on short games you can download like Shank. If given enough time the PS3 will have a library to boast about however there aren't enough titles just yet.

Iwata:

Crono1973:

Iwata:

You're being premature.

Then the PS2 didn't outlast the PS3 and this whole discussion is meaningless.

Ok, the PS2 is the best selling console of all time. That's enough to put it on a pedestal without it being considered within it's life cycle. In my opinion, the PS2 life cycle ended when the PS3 was released. That the PS2 was still outselling the PS3 the first few years is embarrassing for Sony but it doesn't mean it's still within it's life cycle.

Iwata:

Crono1973:

Iwata:

You're being premature.

I truly hope that the PS4 hangs back for many years. WE DO NOT NEED SUPERIOR HARDWARE TO MAKE GOOD GAMES. If that were true Crash Bandicoot would be terrible, Psi-ops would be a tech demo, and Chrono Trigger would have been all but forgotten. The reason these games stand out is because they were fun to play despite not looking like everything was real life. Even the SNES has proven this point. We still go back to those games sometimes because they were fun, not because they could run at 1000 FPS and handle thousands of polygons.

I don't know what year you think it is TC but the PS2 hasn't had games come out for it in a long time.

SNES > PS2 > Nintendo > PS1 > PS3

Based on the number of games I've owned, rented, and replayed.

In my mind the PS2 has been gone for years, so no. Actual market data may disagree, but I really do not care. At most the PS3 will just join it in not entering my sphere of awareness in the least.

Forlong:

I'd hardly call selling over 55 million units a failure. That's not far behind the 360 and the 360 had a year head start. What you said might have been relevant in 2007, but in 2012? I don't think so mate. You couldn't be further from the truth.

The PS2's success was largely attributed to the fact it was the best of a bad bunch; the X-Box had next to no exclusive titles and the GC averaged literally one good exclusive a year. But if you think about it, the PS2 didn't have that many good games when you consider the ratios. Like I said, the Gamecube had a painfully insubstantial game library, but they had quality over quantity. The PS2 just churned out so many games that statistically some of them had to be good.

Even though the PS3 hardware could be considered a failure due to lack of backwards compatability and the blu-ray drive jacking the price right up, it's game roster is every bit as strong as the PS2's ever was. The only reason it's performed badly is because the 360 came out first and was already established by the time the PS3 came out with it's astronomical price tag.

Forlong:

Actually a release next month could be the last PS2 game.

Unless a Madden 13 comes out later on (which seems unlikely now), According to Gamefaqs, Major league baseball 2K12 is the only new game for the PS2 scheduled for a release anywhere.

It's actually extremely crazy how they are still releasing stuff for it even now, the same with the Dreamcast really, but that's more homebrew stuff than a official game release.

Yeah, a new Dreamcast game is coming out soon called Gunlord, crazy stuff I know.

Quiet Stranger:
I don't know what year you think it is TC but the PS2 hasn't had games come out for it in a long time.

Really? There are 2 games currently confirmed for PS2 this year, and there were a few releases last year. No good games, but still some games.

The PS2 has had a long life cycle, but I wouldn't really say it's still alive any more than the GameCube or the Xbox are alive. It accomplished what few consoles does though, it actually lived a good while after the new generation came, but as someone else already said, that's partially because PS3 isn't really a huge success.

Yopaz:

Quiet Stranger:

Really? There are 2 games currently confirmed for PS2 this year, and there were a few releases last year. No good games, but still some games.

When a console has only 2 games each of which will be inferior ports of sports games that are available on newer consoles assuming you wanted them anyway, i would consider the PS2 dead.

Dont get me wrong, the PS2 has an epic legacy. Now all Sony needs to do is get the best of the best uploaded onto PSN SEN and then every PS successor will be able to mooch off that legacy for a while at launch.

God Hand is a good start, but we all know theres much more.

gigastar:

Yopaz:

Quiet Stranger:

When a console has only 2 games each of which will be inferior ports of sports games that are available on newer consoles assuming you wanted them anyway, i would consider the PS2 dead.

Dont get me wrong, the PS2 has an epic legacy. Now all Sony needs to do is get the best of the best uploaded onto PSN SEN and then every PS successor will be able to mooch off that legacy for a while at launch.

God Hand is a good start, but we all know theres much more.

Read the part where I consider the PS2 dead before you say I am wrong please.

rob_simple:
The PS2's success was largely attributed to the fact it was the best of a bad bunch; the X-Box had next to no exclusive titles and the GC averaged literally one good exclusive a year. But if you think about it, the PS2 didn't have that many good games when you consider the ratios. Like I said, the Gamecube had a painfully insubstantial game library, but they had quality over quantity. The PS2 just churned out so many games that statistically some of them had to be good.

Even though the PS3 hardware could be considered a failure due to lack of backwards compatability and the blu-ray drive jacking the price right up, it's game roster is every bit as strong as the PS2's ever was. The only reason it's performed badly is because the 360 came out first and was already established by the time the PS3 came out with it's astronomical price tag.

Consider the ratios...

Off the top of my head I can count:

Syphon Filter (1,2)
Metal Gear Solid (1,2,3)
Devil May Cry (1,2,3)
God of War (1,2)
Final Fantasy (X,X-2,XII)
Armored Core (2,3)
SMT
Okami

^^^THAT'S THE REASON^^^

The PS3 has solid 6 million units less than the 360, with the 360 getting a one-year head start.

All i know that i play PS3 everyday and have biggest game collection of 3 consoles i own and my Wii and xbox 360 gathering dust.

It already has.
Especially because the PS3's not backwards compatible any more.

The PS2 is still the best game platform out there. It's got the best catalog of games, the hardware that's the least likely to die on you, Dualshock 2 is still the best controller design.

The only thing the PS3 is good for is playing Bluerays

They don't make games for the PS2 any more but then never even started or tried to make a good game for the PS3 (Infamous 2 maybe)

I'm fairly that the PS3 will die long before the PS2 does.

EHKOS:

Iwata:

Crono1973:

You're being premature.

I truly hope that the PS4 hangs back for many years. WE DO NOT NEED SUPERIOR HARDWARE TO MAKE GOOD GAMES. If that were true Crash Bandicoot would be terrible, Psi-ops would be a tech demo, and Chrono Trigger would have been all but forgotten. The reason these games stand out is because they were fun to play despite not looking like everything was real life. Even the SNES has proven this point. We still go back to those games sometimes because they were fun, not because they could run at 1000 FPS and handle thousands of polygons.

You know better hardware doesn't just mean better graphics right?

If you would get out of your current mentality you would see it allows things such as greater numbers of enemies on screen, better physics, better AI, more dynamic worlds etc.

If you want to stay in the past then fine but don't hold us back.

Number of people I know that own a PS3: 12 (I live in a small town)
Number of people I know that own a PS2: EVERY-FUCKING ONE!

I am a Xbox fanboy but I started as a PS2 person. I still use it regularly! I mean, the games they had were just... awesome!

...and they always will be!

i don't think the PS2 will ever truly die until the last console breaks down. THAT will be a sad day for mankind...

NameIsRobertPaulson:

rob_simple:

Consider the ratios...

Off the top of my head I can count:

Syphon Filter (1,2)
Metal Gear Solid (1,2,3)
Devil May Cry (1,2,3)
God of War (1,2)
Final Fantasy (X,X-2,XII)
Armored Core (2,3)
SMT
Okami

^^^THAT'S THE REASON^^^

The PS3 has solid 6 million units less than the 360, with the 360 getting a one-year head start.

The first three games on your list were on the PSX, and personally I would not rate the MGS series as anything to get excited about past the first one.

The Final Fantasy games on the PS2 were distinctly average, they added little to nothing to an already stagnant series.

I have to give you the rest, but in riposte I would say...

Metroid Prime
Pikmin
Wind Waker
Super Mario Sunshine
Smash Brothers Melee
Tales of Symphonia
Eternal Darkness
Rogue Squadron (was that the GC one?)
Resident Evil 4, initially.
Luigi's Mansion (shut up, I liked it)

And do you want to know the only difference between your list and mine? My list wasn't bookended by a deluge of third-party dross.

I think the OP hinges on the fact that nobody's favourite current gen console is the PS3 which just isn't true. It's a bit more expensive but with the lack of subscriptions it's already made up the difference, blu-ray is superior to dvd, the specs are so close to identical there's nothing to say about them. It's not exactly starved for good exclusives either.

Only reason why I bought a PS3 is because my PS2 and my games were stolen. The PS3 was 150 in my store while the PS2's price for a new one was like 190$ and I figured, why not?

Since I lost my PS2 games along with my FF games I am able to have them all saved on my PS3.

hahahahahaha
no it wont

What? Games are still coming out for the PS2? Like what?

It's impossible because no one's going to make new games for it, especially now that the WiiU is going to be HD, there's not even the possibility of crappy ports for movie tie-in games.

I wouldn't say it'd outlast, but looking at my shelf full of ps2 games (~50) from a while ago, and the (~10) xbox 360 games, you can see the console I had more fun with.

If PS3 was backwards compatible, this wouldn't ever have been an issue. One of the really stupid moves by Sony if you ask me.

Sweet Jesus, did I just travel back in time to 2007/8? I remember seeing this type of stuff everywhere back then. Now, not so much (re: never). This is really, really weird. :/ Next thing you know, we will have a billion thread about what you will do if you wake up as the opposite gender...

Anyway, no, the PS2 will not outlive the PS3. The PS2 has been dead for years. They have stopped counting how many of the things sell each month a couple years or so back; the system is kind of dead now.

Vegosiux:
If PS3 was backwards compatible, this wouldn't ever have been an issue. One of the really stupid moves by Sony if you ask me.

You are aware the PS3 launch model had backward compatibility right?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked