Greatest PC Game Survey

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dorkly's website has a survey of the Greatest PC game of all time via a series of matchups as you go through and vote until you end up with your own list, while Dorkly keeps a place average (1-50) at the bottom. There's some glaring omissions on the voting list (why no Dawn of War?), but for the most part it's a pretty diverse spread.

UPDATE AS OF 2/25
The Average Top Ten
1. Half-Life 2
2. Skyrim (Tied with Half-life 2 at 73% though)
3. Portal 2
4. Portal
5. Diablo 2
6. Half-life
7. Knights of the Old Republic
8. Fallout 3
9. Starcraft
10. Morrowind

No real surprises here (except TIE fighter doesn't even crack the top 50, WTF?)
My own top 5 (doesn't show you your top 10)

1. MechWarrior 2
2. Curse of Monkey Island
3. Black and White
4. Max Payne
5. Diablo 2

The rest of the 40 in case anyone was wondering:

11. Starcraft 2
12. Starcraft
13. Oblivion
14. Team Fortress 2
15. Warcraft 3
16. Mass Effect
17. The Old Republic
18. Minecraft
19. Bioshock
20. Diablo
21. Morrowind
22. Age of Empires 2
23. Left 4 Dead 2
24. Doom
25. Counter-strike
26. Dragon Age: Origins
27. Fallout
28. Left 4 Dead
29. Warcraft 2
30. Bioshock 2

31. Age of Empires
32. Civilization V
33. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
34. Battlefield 3
35. Wolfenstein
36. Baldur's Gate 2
37. Quake
38. Deus Ex
39. League of Legends
40. Age of Mythology
41. Curse of Monkey Island
42. Baldur's Gate
43. Dragon Age 2
44. Unreal Tournament
45. Command and Conquer: Red Alert
46. Duke Nukem 3D
47. The Sims
48. Black and White
49. Crysis
50. SimCity 2000

As usual, tons of stuff from the last 3-5 years, and only a few entries from 5+ years ago, and most of those are some of the most storied series/games of all time, therefore demanding inclusion. Absolutely nothing from 15+ years ago. This is why these top X lists are usually so f'in dull to read. PCGamer's most recent one was absolutely atrocious to the point of being insulting. DC Universe Online ahead of Planescape Torment? Go fuck yourselves, PC Gamer.

Best of all time lists can actually be really interesting to read, but if your "best of all time" list is primarily composed of entries from the last 3-4 years in a medium stretching back 3-4 decades, you might want to rethink the entertainment value of it.

And that's my cranky old man speech for today.

m-m-m-m-monster post.

But really, i can't believe that ME2, FO3 and Portal 2 are on the list at all. They're good games - great even - but the best on PC of all time forever? And X-Com: UFO Defense isn't in the top 10? No TIE Fighter? Starcraft? Civ? They are just the big generic AAA's from recent years.

I also don't feel Skyrim should be on the list. It's hot and on everyone's mind but I don't feel it really surpassed Morrowind.

AC10:
m-m-m-m-monster post.

But really, i can't believe that ME2, FO3 and Portal 2 are on the list at all. They're good games - great even - but the best on PC of all time forever? And X-Com: UFO Defense isn't in the top 10? No TIE Fighter? Starcraft?

I also don't feel Skyrim should be on the list. It's hot and on everyone's mind but I don't feel it really surpassed Morrowind.

You can vote for TIE fighter and Starcraft in your own lists. Starcraft isn't too far out of the top ten (#12), but TIE Fighter loses to Dragon Age 2, Crysis, Minecraft, even The Old Republic.

Deus Ex, Morrowind, Total Annihilation, Diablo 2, GTA: San Andreas.

My top 5 in no particular order.

Funny that Deus Ex is in the 30s when you consider how influential it was to many of the top ten games.

Well atleast the top 12 isn't too horrible, but the message to publishers is clear: PC gamers mostly prefer average games.
Forget it. Putting different genres in the same list is stupid anyway.

Why are people seemingly surprised that popular recent games are the top of a list which is created by the general public?

edit: Also this survey is really poorly made. It only seems to put new games into the random pool when I make a choice between two games (thus removing my choice from the random pool). What happens when the random pool is full of games I haven't actually played? How am I supposed to make any choices then? Most of my favourite PC games didn't even appear.

GiantRaven:
Why are people seemingly surprised that popular recent games are the top of a list which is created by the general public?

Surprised? Who is surprised?

Pointing out that something is lame is not the same as expressing shock.

GiantRaven:

edit: Also this survey is really poorly made. It only seems to put new games into the random pool when I make a choice between two games (thus removing my choice from the random pool). What happens when the random pool is full of games I haven't actually played? How am I supposed to make any choices then? Most of my favourite PC games didn't even appear.

I was surprised there was a bunch of older games in the pool actually. Heroes of Newerth, System Shock, Ultima Online, Heroes of Might and Magic, Thief 1 and 2; I thought there was gonna be a lot fewer of these ones.

Deus Ex is 38?

Get the fuck out of my forum! Seeing as Skyrim of all games is #1 this is probably made by people who have no knowledge of the old (and better) classics.

For me (in no particular order)

1. Deus Ex
2. Max Payne
3. Max Payne 2
4. XIII
5. Morrowind

Trust me when I say that there are MANY more games I would include but as it's just 5 I cannot.

Doom, Quake, and Wolfenstein were not good games. They were pioneers of the FPS, true. And at the time they were pretty good... but, no, they do not belong anywhere near the top 50 PC games of all time. They should rank rather well on the top 50 most influential games of all time, of course.

Also, no Heroes of Might and Magic 2? Sins. That is probably one of the best turn based strategy/RPGs ever made in all time. Even now it holds it's own as a good game, because those sprites are nice and colourful.

Wolfram01:
Doom, Quake, and Wolfenstein were not good games. They were pioneers of the FPS, true. And at the time they were pretty good... but, no, they do not belong anywhere near the top 50 PC games of all time. They should rank rather well on the top 50 most influential games of all time, of course.

I have to disagree. You have to take era and influence into account when compiling these lists. Doom especially was a watershed moment in gaming. Whether you think it stacks up well against the current generation of shooters doesn't change that.

For an analogy, let's take Tolkien. I think a lot of modern fantasy authors have greatly, greatly surpassed his work, in many ways. However, any "best fantasy series of all time" list better contain LOTR, or it's an idiotic list.

Seminal games that set the foundation for entire genres deserve additional recognition.

According to the poll the best games ever are:
TIE Fighter
Thief
Baldur's Gate 2
Deus Ex
Fallout

That's actually surprisingly precise. Though I was gutted at some of the choices I had to make. Like if I prefer Deus Ex or System Shock. That's just inhumane.

Or TIE Fighter and Thief.

Also, I'm old...

Matthew94:
Deus Ex is 38?

Get the fuck out of my forum! Seeing as Skyrim of all games is #1 this is probably made by people who have no knowledge of the old (and better) classics.

My point exactly. Those people probably don't know who influential Deus Ex was to many of the AAA titles today.

Civilization being that low and no X-Com on the list completely invalidates it.

I would say WoW. Don't play it anymore, even hate it a litte bit nowdays, but I haven't seen a game as big, as polished or as addictive ever. What it does it does superbly and the sheer ammount of content is colossal.

Stopped reading when I saw Skyrim #1.

Matthew94:

5. Morrowind

Vanilla Morrowind is indded better than Skyrim, but vanilla skyrim is NOT the PC skyrim.

skyrim? Skyrim is number 1!!!

its a game thats been out for only a few months, compared to a 3-4 decade long medium... today is the day I lost hope in gamers.

One of my favorite features of Portal was that you could easily hack so you could get the Portal gun in Half Life. Also where's Postal 2! That game was awesome.

OT: How'd I know how people would start bitching about Skyrim? I knew when that game first came out and saw how popular it was getting, I knew it would have a back-lash equal to its popularity. People bitching about it is honestly getting way more annoying than people talking about Skyrim ever was. We get it! You are really into older games! You're into nostalgia at an almost fetishistic level. Now let me make another prediction: People will start to calm down and let it pass and in about ten years people will look back on Skyrim as if it was God, just like every other game old enough.

It looks like the survey measures popularity, not quality, so I'm surprised there isn't a Call of Duty in the top 10.

Honestly, I'm surprised no Call of Duty made the list. Also, only one adventure game :(

Why are Arcanum, Planescape: Torment, Europa Universalis 3, and Victoria 2 not on this list. No taste in good games I guess.

Deus Ex should not be 38. Even now it measures up favorably against so many modern games in regards to its design...yes, graphically it hasn't held up, but its freedom of choice puts so many of the more modern games higher on the list to shame. And System Shock and PS:T are missing, too! And Arcanum...for shame. And I don't get some of the other inclusions, either - StarCraft 2 is good, but nowhere near as groundbreaking as the first one. Same with BioShock 2. I can understand including the first games on the list, but are their sequels really good enough to replace some of the other, more groundbreaking games? Whoever made that list really needs to brush up on their gaming history.

This list always changes for me, but these ones are always floating around the my top ten:

1.) Deus Ex
2.) Thief
3.) Baldur's Gate 2
4.) Half-Life
5.) Day of the Tentacle

What the hell is Bioshock 2 doing on this list? It's like people felt it needed to be guaranteed a place just for being the sequel to a game that was actually good.

There's a lot of stupid sequels on the list that should've been omitted to make room for games that were actually worth a damn.

I have only got into PC gaming recently so I cant talk all that much but still some of mine are:
Unreal Championship 2004 (it was also the first one that I played)
Stalker: SOC
Psychonauts
Battlefield 2
Hitman 2
Max Payne 2
Half Life 2
(a lot of 2's lol)

Some other games that I like I dont usually conect them to PC so..., and add the Valve titles that usually take the top of any list lol

teh_gunslinger:
Also, I'm old...

Whatever man, I carry a flash drive with System Shock on Dosbox and Deus Ex. I'm 24.

Wow, there are a whole lot of underserving games on that list...The worst is that I keep getting the few worthy games places off against each other...Half life vs Dues Ex? They would both be looking at top 5 spots if they didn't get squared off against each other so early.

OK,
Morrowind
Warcraft 3
Half Life
Heroes of might and magic
Duke Nukem 3D

...Duke nukem definately only got their because of the easy tree, half life and warcraft each knocked out a plethora of titles that deserve to be far higher ranked than they were (max payne, dues ex, crysis, doom, wolf 3d, guild wars etc).

*edit* I'm impressed by how high Morrowind ranked. It was hardly a broadly appealing game so I wouldn't have expected it's popularity (despite it's utter brilliance).

triggrhappy94:
Now let me make another prediction: People will start to calm down and let it pass and in about ten years people will look back on Skyrim as if it was God, just like every other game old enough.

You can't be serious.

I got

1)Skyrim
2)ME1
3)KOTOR
4)Oblivion
5)Bioshock?? Don't know how this one got here?

It did't work very well though, the same few games I've never played kept coming up and something called 'Oregon trail'? all the time. And there were lots of good games that never came up.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked