Why is everyone so down on bioware due to ME3 DLC?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I come from a biased viewpoint, I was pre-ordering collectors edition, but the DLC included is the equivalent to Arrival, Shadow broker or Kasumi. Its not essential content, its just something that adds to the gameplay and gives a couple more hours and a new charater. One or two people said i was essential content and this has spread to become a hot topic when it is in fact kind of a moot point. Since when does an extra character become "Essential content?"
However, If anyone has official bioware threads proving me wrong, I will GTFO and probabl go on a rage Hype keyboard warrior-y thing.

People are just silly that way, they still believe EA wont hustle them for money every chance they get.
Just because you payed full price doesn't mean you get the full game you silly people.

Should read up more mate ;) that "extra character" is a goddamn Prothean, you know the EXTINCT race that went on a suicide mission to the citadel and saved everyone's goddamn lives from the reapers? If you've played any mass effect game you'd know that this character is pretty big

Yeah, just based on what we know, the character is just way too big a deal. I could easily live without Zaeed or Kasumi in ME2, but this character... kinda a big deal. And he only comes with the collectors edition (or as day 1 DLC). It's not like an exclusive weapon, or armor, or forgettable character. It appears to be an essential part of the story and its been taken out.

Then again, we have yet to play the game, but I just don't understand how this character, who is a

isn't a big deal for the story. This is content already created, as opposed to something like Lair of the Shadow Broker or Arrival that was made after the game came out. It just rubs a lot of the community the wrong way.

Keoul:
Should read up more mate ;) that "extra character" is a goddamn Prothean, you know the EXTINCT race that went on a suicide mission to the citadel and saved everyone's goddamn lives from the reapers? If you've played any mass effect game you'd know that this character is pretty big

But they're not. It was made clear in Mass Effect 1 that the Protheans weren't some amazing progenitor god species that set up galactic society, but instead just the race that came before us in the eternal cycle of the reapers.

Their main plot point is that they gave US a chance to survive in Mass Effect 1 by changing the signal of something. They're not gods or anything, any extra insight into the Protheans might be nice, but it isn't essential. If it was, they would have defeated the Reapers.

After Virmire you released the Protheans weren't really much of a big deal, however 80% of people in the real world don't bloody realise this and are making a deal of it, just another bullet to shoot Bioware with I guess.

endtherapture:
After Virmire you released the Protheans

I don't recall this happening O.o I remember fighting geth, talking to a AI or VI based on a prothean then leaving to save the citadel from sovereign.

Do note that Protheans are suppose to be extinct and is the only other living race in the galaxy to have faced the reapers and apparently SURVIVE. He could have vital info man! and I'd really like to see how they have one holding a gun...

Keoul:

Let us use your logic.

Wardens Keep was the goddamn Warden organisations HQ. Wardens were much more core to DA:O than Protheans were to ME1/2.

Therefore Wardens Keep is a must have and in no way sense or form non essential.... wait...

I think you might have to do your reasoning a bit tidier.

YuheJi:
Yeah, just based on what we know, the character is just way too big a deal. I could easily live without Zaeed or Kasumi in ME2, but this character... kinda a big deal. And he only comes with the collectors edition (or as day 1 DLC). It's not like an exclusive weapon, or armor, or forgettable character. It appears to be an essential part of the story and its been taken out.

Then again, we have yet to play the game, but I just don't understand how this character, who is a

isn't a big deal for the story. This is content already created, as opposed to something like Lair of the Shadow Broker or Arrival that was made after the game came out. It just rubs a lot of the community the wrong way.

I would like to know where you know this spoiler from.... Because in all my diving the best info I can find goes no further than "It is a prothean".

Where do you have your info from?

Draech:

Wardens Keep was the goddamn Warden organisations HQ. Wardens were much more core to DA:O than Protheans were to ME1/2.

Therefore Wardens Keep is a must have and in no way sense or form non essential.... wait...

Never played DA:O but I'll take your word for it :D
I agree it's not essential but the fact is that the DLC is a huge plot for the game, it was finished the same time as the game so why is it NOT in the full game and must be bought separate for 10 dollars or purchase the collectors edition.

If they made this DLC later people would be fine with it, the anger comes with the game having a separate dlc that you have to pay for during launch that affects the game so much.

Keoul:

Draech:

Never played DA:O but I'll take your word for it :D
I agree it's not essential but the fact is that the DLC is a huge plot for the game, it was finished the same time as the game so why is it NOT in the full game and must be bought separate for 10 dollars or purchase the collectors edition.

If they made this DLC later people would be fine with it, the anger comes with the game having a separate dlc that you have to pay for during launch that affects the game so much.

Ah but here it is the reality of game production comes into it.

There is about a 3 month gap between "content complete" (not the same as "gold" btw) to being able to actually sell the game. The bigger a development team, the more people will be twiddling their thumbs.

Instead they make DLC. Now you can argue its not good enough quality DLC, but that is a separate issue entirely.

The real argument is "The day one DLC is a vital part of the game and should therefore be part of the game" and that never been the case before (I am not saying it never will be).

It is fairly simple. Those who pay more (collectors edition) gets some extra. If done correct it is non vital, and if done wrongly it isn't. Thou I would like to see the production nightmare of making a vital part of the game, then cutting it out to sell it separately while the core game is still functional enough to sell. I can make up 3 plot lines of the top of my head where "From Ashes" is a non vital story line, but I cannot wrap my head around how to remove a vital part of the plot mid production in order to sell it.

Draech:
snip

I agree with you, you've convinced me it's a stupid reason to get angry about but...

The positive thing about all this outrage is that in the unlikely event that all those gamers think the cut down game isn't worth 60 and the DLC isn't worth the money either, EA will know why the game sold less.
Ofcourse the odds are that the game will still sell like hotcakes. $60 for a new game yesterday. $70 for the complete game today, and $100 tomorrow.

Because it's just a sleazy move, it really is. There's including DLC to combat used sales (Catwoman in Arkham City for example!) and there's including some added in-game incentives for collectors edition buyers (Special edition Thor in Starcraft 2), that's... alright. Some people debate even the ethics of those but I have no issues with it myself. Presumably if you're buying used you'll be getting it cheaper anyway and the DLC provides some incentive to support the developers, while the nice cosmetic touches for collectors editions give a reason to pre-order without outright favouring them but still giving ample bragging rights. It works!

But in this case the developers are deliberately holding back story-important content for the purpose of charging extra for it from day 1. They're saying 'hey, if you want the full story from the start you'll need to fork up an extra 10 bucks.'. As for this:

Draech:

There is about a 3 month gap between "content complete" (not the same as "gold" btw) to being able to actually sell the game. The bigger a development team, the more people will be twiddling their thumbs.

That would be fair enough, other developers have done such before after all. But in this case it's not some neat little added touches or skins as other games have done before but a piece of story content that was planned from the very beginning to be excluded from the default experience and to be delivered as paid DLC.

This isn't content that the developers said 'hey, we've got time now, let's add this' it's content they said 'we're going wait till this time to complete this so that we can release it for this much extra money'.

Personally I agree with Lewie Procter from Rock Paper Shotgun when he said:

"To me it smacks of not having any respect for the game's story that they are happy for an entire character to be either present or missing depending on how much money the players pay for the game."

Why don't you just go read the posts by people who are against this day 1 dlc rather than making another ME3 thread?

OT: Because it's really damn annoying. If your a huge fan and ME3 is going to be a really big deal to you then you probably won't be annoyed that much.
However to people like me who don't think ME3 is Gods gift to gaming but is actully just another game, finding out that to get the full experience I would need to pay extra?
It really just rubs me the wrong way, it's thrown me off of buying the game actully.

The Madman:

Draech:

That would be fair enough, other developers have done such before after all. But in this case it's not some neat little added touches or skins as other games have done before but a piece of story content that was planned from the very beginning to be excluded from the default experience and to be delivered as paid DLC.

This isn't content that the developers said 'hey, we've got time now, let's add this' it's content they said 'we're going wait till this time to complete this so that we can release it for this much extra money'.

Personally I agree with Lewie Procter from Rock Paper Shotgun when he said:

"To me it smacks of not having any respect for the game's story that they are happy for an entire character to be either present or missing depending on how much money the players pay for the game."

There is a flaw in that reasoning.

It isn't just graphical artist that get to twidle their thumbs. It is more or less every one who was needed to make content. Sound, writers, lvl designers, the works. Lvl designers cant add skins. Same goes just about every other aspect of production that gets shelved while they are doing testing and shipping. In a smaller production where people hold multible jobs it is a good point, but not in a large scale production like ME.

Now Mister Lewie Procter might have a point, but then he should just buy the normal version of the game, because that argument can be said about DLC as a whole.

And the beauty of dlc is that if you dont like it, then it is an extra you can go "I dont want it" and simply not pay.

Just going to repost what I've already posted:

READ THIS IF YOU AREN'T AFRAID OF MASS EFFECT 3 SPOILERS!

Having read the spoilers in the leaked script (the actual proper leaked script, not the shockingly crappy draft) I can confirm that the arguments about the Prothean being super important and essential to the plot are false.
In the original draft, he was central to the story. However in the actual script of the game his role has been decreased dramatically, to the point that there is virtually no difference between a game that DOES have him and a game that DOESN'T. To put it simply he is no longer key to the plot, and the plot goes along perfectly well without him being in it at all.
The only thing that happens if you download him is you get an additional mission and then he's a squadmate, that's it. He has no vital intel or central conflict that the game would be lost without, just a minor mission that has little to no bearing on the actual story itself and after that he, like Zaeed and Kasumi before him, just exists on the ship with nothing more to say to you.
He is not 'removed' content, he is 'tacked on' content.
Hell, I'll give you a little fun fact about his DLC mission:

That's one of the benefits of being a poster on BSN, if you can wade through the creepiness, you find out new news about Mass Effect 3 faster. It also gives you perspective on what to be pissed off about and what to dismiss as 'nothing worth worrying about' and if you ask me, while Bioware are in the naughty stool for me for a lot relating to Mass Effect 3, this isn't one of them.
Bioware redesigning established female characters just to give them sex appeal? That's something to be pissed about (I loved Ashley just the way she was). Bioware relying on gimmicks to market the game? That's something to be pissed about. Bioware adding an IGN reviewer to the cast in Mass Effect 3? Something to be pissed about (arguably). Bioware still not giving any info about whether or not they've given the approval to the Play Arts Kai line of action figures? Something to be pissed about (though I would be shocked if they didn't approve of them, they look great).

Bioware making a day one DLC be a bonus mission and squadmate that has no bearing on the game story whatsoever? Not something to be pissed about. If you want, you can be pissed that Bioware decided to add something to the story that should be important but turned it into a gimmick, or pissed that Bioware would make a dumb decision like adding a prothean to the plot in the first place (I think it's dumb anyway). All I'm saying is, do a little research first and know what should and shouldn't be hated on.

EDIT: In fact here is some dialogue involving the prothean that someone else said proved his importance in the location and revealtion of a major plot point, here are some of my observations about it:

Draech:

It isn't just graphical artist that get to twidle their thumbs. It is more or less every one who was needed to make content. Sound, writers, lvl designers, the works. Lvl designers cant add skins. Same goes just about every other aspect of production that gets shelved while they are doing testing and shipping. In a smaller production where people hold multible jobs it is a good point, but not in a large scale production like ME.

Now Mister Lewie Procter might have a point, but then he should just buy the normal version of the game, because that argument can be said about DLC as a whole.

And the beauty of dlc is that if you dont like it, then it is an extra you can go "I dont want it" and simply not pay.

I continue to disagree. I don't argue and never did that the developers have a lot of time before the games launch, nor did I ever say they don't have the right to do something at that point. Most developers during this period will devote their main staff towards bug-fixes and support, that's why day 1 patches are so prevalent in the games industry. Artists meanwhile have little to do with the patching process more often than not which is why you've DLC that includes new character models and the like. Little things that are neat additions to the game but far from essential.

With Bioware in this case however what they've done was deliberately leave content from the default experience to instead put as day 1 paid DLC. This isn't a case of expanding upon, refining, or adding a few neat details. It's cutting content for the explicit purpose of charging extra for it knowing people are invested enough in the experience that they'll pay. It's manipulative.

As for DLC as a whole the problem isn't adding to the game. If a developer wants to continue to support their game post release and to develop and grow the game through 'mini expansion' so to speak that's fine. Admirable even in some cases. The problem is, again, when the developers deliberately release an incomplete product with the explicit plan of charging extra for a more complete experience.

I just can't bring myself to support or condone Bioware in this, especially not when faced with other developers work. As much as I dislike drawing direct companions, simply look at CDProjekt RED and The Witcher. Since the Witcher 2's release the game has received not only numerous patches but additional content, new game modes and extras all at no cost. Indeed they're even releasing an 'enhanced edition' in April completely free to owners of the game that expands considerably upon the games final chapter with hours of new content and story to explore. Why? Because the developers want to reward their customers and to make their game the best it can be. A common complaint was that the Witcher 2 ended too abruptly and so now they're working on fixing that via DLC. Free.

Bioware as a company are bigger, wealthier, and more experienced than CDProjekt. Even a modest selling Bioware game will outsell The Witcher games with ease. Taking this into account that a relatively small obscure company are devoting so much time and effort into their game, one arguably just as complex, while Bioware deliberately cut content from the base experience just so they can charge extra for it on launch...

I'm sorry, it's just distasteful. Bioware do it because they can get away with it, but just because they can doesn't mean I have to like it and certainly doesn't mean I have to support it.

I like Bioware and if you look into my previous posts you'll find I've defended them in the past. I don't think this is 'the end of Bioware' or anything like that, and it's almost inevitably I'll buy Mass Effect 3 at some point, I'm far too invested in the game and its story to simply leave it alone. But while before it would have been a no-brainer day 1 purchase from me, now I think I'll wait till it's at a reduced price even if that means I have to wait. Wait so that I can afford to get a complete experience without feeling like I've just supported terrible behaviour.

Rather than angry or upset I'm honestly just a bit sad about all this. Sad and disappointed.

The Madman:

Draech:

I continue to disagree. I don't argue and never did that the developers have a lot of time before the games launch, nor did I ever say they don't have the right to do something at that point. Most developers during this period will devote their main staff towards bug-fixes and support, that's why day 1 patches are so prevalent in the games industry. Artists meanwhile have little to do with the patching process more often than not which is why you've DLC that includes new character models and the like. Little things that are neat additions to the game but far from essential.

With Bioware in this case however what they've done was deliberately leave content from the default experience to instead put as day 1 paid DLC. This isn't a case of expanding upon, refining, or adding a few neat details. It's cutting content for the explicit purpose of charging extra for it knowing people are invested enough in the experience that they'll pay. It's manipulative.

As for DLC as a whole the problem isn't adding to the game. If a developer wants to continue to support their game post release and to develop and grow the game through 'mini expansion' so to speak that's fine. Admirable even in some cases. The problem is, again, when the developers deliberately release an incomplete product with the explicit plan of charging extra for a more complete experience.

I just can't bring myself to support or condone Bioware in this, especially not when faced with other developers work. As much as I dislike drawing direct companions, simply look at CDProjekt RED and The Witcher. Since the Witcher 2's release the game has received not only numerous patches but additional content, new game modes and extras all at no cost. Indeed they're even releasing an 'enhanced edition' in April completely free to owners of the game that expands considerably upon the games final chapter with hours of new content and story to explore. Why? Because the developers want to reward their customers and to make their game the best it can be. A common complaint was that the Witcher 2 ended too abruptly and so now they're working on fixing that via DLC. Free.

Bioware as a company are bigger, wealthier, and more experienced than CDProjekt. Even a modest selling Bioware game will outsell The Witcher games with ease. Taking this into account that a relatively small obscure company are devoting so much time and effort into their game, one arguably just as complex, while Bioware deliberately cut content from the base experience just so they can charge extra for it on launch...

I'm sorry, it's just distasteful. Bioware do it because they can get away with it, but just because they can doesn't mean I have to like it and certainly doesn't mean I have to support it.

I like Bioware and if you look into my previous posts you'll find I've defended them in the past. I don't think this is 'ruining the company' or anything like that, and it's almost inevitably I'll buy Mass Effect 3 at some point, I'm far too invested in the game and its story to simply leave it alone. But while before it would have been a no-brainer day 1 purchase from me, now I think I'll wait till it's at a reduced price even if that means I have to wait. Wait so that I can afford to get a complete experience without feeling like I've just supported terrible behaviour.

Ok here is the problem

"With Bioware in this case however what they've done was deliberately leave content from the default experience to instead put as day 1 paid DLC."

Now that right there is entitlement. You have nothing to prove that the game isn't complete without this DLC. Everything that has been presented shows otherwise. It is "Wardens Keep" for ME3. Cool and story related, but just extra fluff and somewhat tagged on.

Now that CDproject Red is awesome and decide to give stuff away for free puts them higher on the list of people I want High Five, but that doesn't mean that Bioware are crossing some line when they want money for their product.

If you dislike this method of business (it is more or less merchandising for the digital age), but still like the original product then just buy that. As George Lucas already proved, The extended editions aren't always better.

If it turns out that there will be DLC made during production that is so vital to the main product that it is a must buy, then Ill be there with you. However I cant see how that is in any way shape or form possible. Must be a nightmare of production to be told to Remove a vital part to sell it as an extra without killing the original product.

Down on Bioware, not really. Down on EA, fuck yes.

Because they don't like this trend. I don't see why anyone would like the trend to be honest, apparently shadow broker was big enough that I should read what happened in that before I play through ME3, which annoys me a tad.

Still, CE only? Dick move.

Inb4 Zeel, he's like the new eternalnothingness or something.

This is extra stuff, not something taken away. This is the bacon on an already delicious cheeseburger.

I don't understand it either some people think its locked content on the disc, others say it should have been released on the disc. Bioware claims that it has been developed after the main section was sent for manufacturing which apparently takes 3 months and so they spent there time developing this DLC. There was a forum thread on it. Someone also stated that without the DLC that the character is just not recruitable but still appears (but there was no evidence provided to back it up.)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.351892-BioWare-Defends-Mass-Effect-3-Launch-Day-DLC

I could care less if i have to pay for it, i'll still get it with my standard addition cos i prefer DLC over pictures, artbooks etc. that come with the collectors edition and still be saving 20.

The one thing I'd note is this isn't by any means a new idea- Bioware did this back in Baldur's Gate II with the collector's edition having two extra merchants with game-changing equipment available for purchase. They weren't owned by EA then, either.

I think that the biggest issue people will have is that DLC, while not necessary to the plot, can have significant effects on the game experience. I know that if I hadn't played the Shadow Broker DLC I'd feel I've missed out on quite a bit- and to have what potentially might be a great part of the story released separate from the standard package is what irks some people. I think they might have shot themselves in the foot by releasing decent DLC expansions for ME2, because now people don't look at the DLC and think "horse armor", they think "Shadow Broker".

Draech:

Now that right there is entitlement. You have nothing to prove that the game isn't complete without this DLC. Everything that has been presented shows otherwise. It is "Wardens Keep" for ME3. Cool and story related, but just extra fluff and somewhat tagged on.

God, I hope it's not "Warden's Keep" for ME3. I DO NOT want some maggot on my normandy whining to me each time I see him to buy the prothean. That would seriously annoy the f_ck out of me.

Valthek:

Draech:

God, I hope it's not "Warden's Keep" for ME3. I DO NOT want some maggot on my normandy whining to me each time I see him to buy the prothean. That would seriously annoy the f_ck out of me.

I actualy wasn't aware that this was the case in DA:O.

I bought the collectors edition because..... well I guess because I was rich and white enough to afford it. Never seen what you are referring to.

Maybe a better comparison would be Zaeed. DA:O did stumble a bit in their attempts to make DLC based business. I hope some lessons were learned at least.

I've never played an ME game, I'm about to start tomorrow actually. But the prothean seems PRETTY IMPORTANT TO THE LORE TO BE JUST DLC THAT NEEDS TO BE PURCHASED. It would be like playing skyrim and having dragon shouts as DLC, despite how important it is to the game. EA are dickbags as far as I can see and bioware is letting it happen.

Mainly it's because everyone has gotten so used to being screwed on on-disk and day-1 DLC that they have an adverse knee-jerk reaction to it. So, when they heard about a piece of at-launch DLC, they went into a rage. It didn't help that TotalBiscuit jumped on it straight away without knowing all the facts, and got all his fans worked up about how "Bioware was screwing the fans".

Now, Bioware has come forward to explain themselves. They claim that they didn't start on that DLC until the actual game was done. Since it can take over three months for a completed game to get certified for release, they say they used the time between completion and launch to work on this DLC, which takes a much shorter time to make and get certified, allowing them to release both at the same time.

If that is actually the case, then they have been completely reasonable with it. It isn't on the disk, it isn't something that was cut from the game, it's extra content they made when the main game was already done, and they had extra time. They intended for the DLC to be played before you beat the game, so they did what they needed to do to get it out at launch.

Is it kind of disappointing to have to pay an extra $10 the same day you buy the game? Yeah... but its Bioware. They have a good track record with Mass Effect DLC, like Lair of the Shadow Broker and The Arrival. I imagine From Ashes will be well worth the price. Also the people complaining that "Only the collector's edition gets it for free" are very much missing a key point.

Standard Mass Effect 3: $60
From Ashes DLC: $10
Total price: $70

Mass Effect 3 N7 Collector's Edition: $80

It is actually cheaper to buy the standard version of the game AND this DLC than it is to get the N7 Edition just for the free DLC. However, I think all the other goodies in the N7 pack make it worth the extra price. The digital soundtrack is worth the money alone, and the artbook looks pretty nice too =D

Basically, calm down folks. I'm going to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt on this one. If things really happened like they said then this DLC is pretty reasonable.

Daystar Clarion:
Inb4 Zeel, he's like the new eternalnothingness or something.

This is extra stuff, not something taken away. This is the bacon on an already delicious cheeseburger.

Yeah, I pretty much looked at this to see if he appears. He's a barrel of fun on this topic.

OT: I think the problem is mostly due to it being day one DLC, meaning it surely 'must have been cut from the original'. I really don't see how people can say it's an incomplete game.

There are a lot of things one can get worked up about in life. This really isn't worth the time. When you take a step back and look at this as a whole, people are basically arguing over ten dollars, and while I've heard some pretty petty and nonsensical arguments in the past, this is definitely one of the better ones.

Now let me lay some real logic down in here.

Mass Effect 3, at retail price, is likely going to go for $60.

The Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition goes for $80.

Mass Effect 3 at commercial price plus the cost of DLC is $70, ten less than the collectors edition.

So in the end, people buying retail plus the price of DLC are still paying LESS than those who bought the collector's edition.

But you know what? This is all pretty pointless. With 11 days to release (at time of posting) everyone has already decided whether or not they're going to buy the game or not, at least those at launch. Everyone else will start waiting for the reviews to come out.

Of course, I was the sort of dedicated fan who pre-ordered the collector's edition a year and a half in advance, so feel free to use that little tidbit against me so we can continue this inane argument for another fifty posts, but let's be honest, anything you want to say about this matter has probably already been said here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.351719-Why-I-am-not-going-to-buy-Mass-Effect-3

Here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.351892-BioWare-Defends-Mass-Effect-3-Launch-Day-DLC

Here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.339834-Poll-Are-you-still-getting-Mass-Effect-3#13747778

Here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.351807-Mass-Effect-3-will-be-incomplete#13930504

Here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.351769-Poll-Are-you-going-to-RISK-buying-Mass-Effect-3#13928357

Here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.351767-Poll-Are-You-still-getting-Mass-Effect-3#13928156

And Here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.375837-ARE-YOU-SEEING-A-PATTERN-YET?-

And in the end, Mass Effect 3 will still make a moronic sum of cold hard cash and all this talk of boycotts will vanish into the Fade. So let's just get the hate out of the way, give the topic creators the badges they're aiming for, and move on.

ClanCrusher:
There are a lot of things one can get worked up about in life. This really isn't worth the time. When you take a step back and look at this as a whole, people are basically arguing over ten dollars, and while I've heard some pretty petty and nonsensical arguments in the past, this is definitely one of the better ones.

Now let me lay some real logic down in here.

Mass Effect 3, at retail price, is likely going to go for $60.

The Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition goes for $80.

Mass Effect 3 at commercial price plus the cost of DLC is $70, ten less than the collectors edition.

So in the end, people buying retail plus the price of DLC are still paying LESS than those who bought the collector's edition.

But you know what? This is all pretty pointless. With 11 days to release (at time of posting) everyone has already decided whether or not they're going to buy the game or not, at least those at launch. Everyone else will start waiting for the reviews to come out.

Of course, I was the sort of dedicated fan who pre-ordered the collector's edition a year and a half in advance, so feel free to use that little tidbit against me so we can continue this inane argument for another fifty posts, but let's be honest, anything you want to say about this matter has probably already been said here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.351719-Why-I-am-not-going-to-buy-Mass-Effect-3

Here:

Here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.339834-Poll-Are-you-still-getting-Mass-Effect-3#13747778

Here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.351807-Mass-Effect-3-will-be-incomplete#13930504

Here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.351769-Poll-Are-you-going-to-RISK-buying-Mass-Effect-3#13928357

Here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.351767-Poll-Are-You-still-getting-Mass-Effect-3#13928156

And Here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.375837-ARE-YOU-SEEING-A-PATTERN-YET?-

And in the end, Mass Effect 3 will still make a moronic sum of cold hard cash and all this talk of boycotts will vanish into the Fade. So let's just get the hate out of the way, give the topic creators the badges they're aiming for, and move on.

I wasn't going to contribute to this thread until I read your post, as I enjoy watching these tennis match topics.

But, I have no problem with day 1 DLC, as long as it doesn't too much power (Glares angrily at Blood Dragon Armour for DA:Origins *Can't remember if was day 1 DLC, but did to the game, what Bane did to Batman in Knightfall arc!)

So this DLC gives you an extra character that might give a bit of insight into the world (Looks at Zaeed and muses aloud the missed opportunity as you fight enough Mercs through ME2)...

Woot? It is the end of the single-player trilogy, it is testing grounds for a new MMO as this is most likely going to head that way and to be honest, I'd play it.

If there is any DLC things I hate is the store specific ones. Lord of the Rings: War in the North had 2 different packs, JB Hifi (in Australia) let you get Sting and another sword.

EB Games got complete armour w/ weapon sets for each character! And, Battlefield 3... /sigh

I'm more down on them because they turned from RPG developers into action movie makers. But I dislike their DLC also.

Keoul:

endtherapture:
After Virmire you released the Protheans

I don't recall this happening O.o I remember fighting geth, talking to a AI or VI based on a prothean then leaving to save the citadel from sovereign.

Do note that Protheans are suppose to be extinct and is the only other living race in the galaxy to have faced the reapers and apparently SURVIVE. He could have vital info man! and I'd really like to see how they have one holding a gun...

Then again, we know nothing about the story of the game. Maybe the Protheans will return at some point, maybe Sheppard will find some survivors hiding somewhere and this particular one is going to join our crew. Maybe enough of them learn about their society, technology, etc; and this one is nothing more than a new member with an agenda (and a possible romantic interest).

We still don't know how much of the lore was "cut out" to be included in the DLC. They have stated many times that they intend to make ME3 standalone, so you don't need to play the previous ones to get this game. If there is something as big as "the race that created a weapon to destroy the Reapers" in the DLC, I am pretty sure that will be explored in the game at some point...

First off, it's already made, so time on the main game was diverted content not available to all players. Second, it's a prothean. The only prothean. Y'know the guys we spent an entire game mucking around in their ruins. The mysterious predecessors who sacrificed themselves to give us a small chance at success, had a civilization even bigger than the current one, and probably know more about the reapers than anyone alive today. If this prothean is indeed on par with Zaeed, who was free with any new copy, then Bioware sucks at writing.

This is a repost from another thread.

Its all about precedent, if enough people accept this then EA will do it again, and they will get bolder. These recent business practices are very disturbing to me.

While it annoys me a lot that this is happening it is not a complete deal breaker. If the Prothean is still in the game, just not as a squad member, I will be less annoyed. However, wouldn't this make it worse? If the character was worked on before hand by the Bioware team, then wouldn't that mean that they planned on selling him as a squad mate? In which case TotalBiscut's point is perfectly valid. Bioware cut content from the game to make a profit.

On the other hand, if he isn't in the game without the DLC, we can justify it and say that the Prothean probably wont play a big role in the game, and he will just have one side mission or some thing. If it is true that he wont play a big role doesn't that bother you? Protheans play a big role in the Mass Effect universe and simply selling him as a cheap gimmick damages the very franchise. If he isn't going to play a big role why make him a Prothean? They are very pivotal to the plot of the series. By not devoting serious time to the character it will simply destroy the magic behind the ancient race and ruin a small part of the story.

The whole situation just feels very wrong to me, and this probably wouldn't be a big issue if the character wasn't a Prothean.

I thought it was more because of stupid DLC bullshit and that it now happens 14 days before the game even comes out.
I betcha it's one of those "DLCs" that's already on the disc.

Makes me wanna wait for the "ultimate super mega complete deluxe whatever" edition so I don't have to deal with such blatant money grabbing tactics.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked