Are there any DRM-free pc games out there?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So are there still any games that don't involve any kind of bullshit and you can play them without restrictions or conditions? For instance I recently bought Angry Birds for the pc and I didn't have any problem. Also I think all the "Xplosiv" and "Exclusive" collections, or re-releases are DRM free.

Well, there's GOG stuff. And HIB games.

Plenty really, it's generally just the major products that tend to have problems with DRM. By and large however the most common form of 'DRM' these days still tends to be either a simple CD-key or STEAM, neither of which are particularly intrusive at all, CD-key especially.

I was going to say GOG, but that's ninja'd. Other than that there are lots of games without DRM, including some titles that have been released for free - not only small casual games and such, there are Daggerfall, MechWarrior 4, the Suffering just to name a few. You can find a list of games that are free now, and there is quite a few of them. Some old games that turned abandonware, you can find on, well, abandonware websites. That's how I found Arcomage a few years back (originally the tavern card game in M&M 7 and 8 but 3DO released it stand-alone...then they disappeared)

just keep an eye out for any of humble indie bundles.

I personally dont mind some drm, and think people should give things like steam a chance.

Simple answer is yes. But while there are some very fucked up DRM (EA and Ubisoft i'm looking at you) most of it is really not a big deal. Do not limit your gaming experience because a game has a minor DRM thing.

bahumat42:

I personally dont mind some drm, and think people should give things like steam a chance.

At the end of the day there is always a main-stream game that I want badly to play it, so eventually I will have to tolerate some kind of DRM. It's just that this trend is spreading really fast and I was wandering if there are still retail games that don't participate in this policy.

Somonah:
Simple answer is yes. But while there are some very fucked up DRM (EA and Ubisoft i'm looking at you) most of it is really not a big deal. Do not limit your gaming experience because a game has a minor DRM thing.

Yeah, I suppose EA and Ubisoft are out of question. When you say minor DRM, what do you mean? I wouldn't mind if it is minor.

The Madman:
Plenty really, it's generally just the major products that tend to have problems with DRM. By and large however the most common form of 'DRM' these days still tends to be either a simple CD-key or STEAM, neither of which are particularly intrusive at all, CD-key especially.

I don't mind for CD-key. In a way it's insulting for the customer, but I got used to this.
Steam that requires internet connection to validate the game seems minor as well. But I'm pissed with them because they are lying. Internet connection is also required each time you start your game, and they didn't mention this detail on the cover box.

If you can tolerate steam, then you shouldn't mind Origin either.

I think GamersGate is somewhat DRM-free.
Then there's the Humble Bundle, but last I checked, they started requiring steam - which kinda defeats the purpose.

Smertnik:

Thanks! I knew about gog, but not about the humble indie bundles.

DoPo:
I was going to say GOG, but that's ninja'd. Other than that there are lots of games without DRM, including some titles that have been released for free - not only small casual games and such, there are Daggerfall, MechWarrior 4, the Suffering just to name a few. You can find a list of games that are free now, and there is quite a few of them. Some old games that turned abandonware, you can find on, well, abandonware websites. That's how I found Arcomage a few years back (originally the tavern card game in M&M 7 and 8 but 3DO released it stand-alone...then they disappeared)

Thanks for the information! I will look them up.

bahumat42:

I have bought several games that are related with Steam DRM. To be honest I don't like them either, I just don't like the idea of a service that is very kind with me and allows me to play the game that I paid for, but I agree with you, I have to acknowledge that unlike their antagonists, Steam shows at least some respect to their customers.

as far as I know, there's NecroVisioN, Cryostasis and Vivisector
all 3 of them are awesome games
though NecroVisioN and Cryostasis do have a Steam release, so there's that =P
and the Witcher games

Rheinmetall:

DoPo:

Thanks for the information! I will look them up.

Hmm I found the list, I was talking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_games_released_as_freeware

I had a very quick look and it seems the Suffering is no longer free...which is a shame, I was planning on getting it some time soon (i.e., this year). Also they've seem to have made C&C Red Alert and Tiberian Sun freely available, which I really like the sound of. And finally, I remembered about S.W.I.N.E. - it was a really fun RTS with pigs vs rabbits.

And here is a more general list of freeware games:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_freeware_video_games

Not all are completely DRM free, for example I think Alien Swarm requires Steam, but generally most do not feature any.

If DRM is such an hassle for you, just buy games legally and crack them.

Last time I checked, stores won't give you a refund if you don't agree with the EULA, and so far nobody went to jail for cracking a legit copy.

I don't even think it's morally acceptable to sell you something and then force you to agree with a contract. Row, row, fight da powaaahhh!

Rheinmetall:
So are there still any games that don't involve any kind of bullshit and you can play them without restrictions or conditions? For instance I recently bought Angry Birds for the pc and I didn't have any problem. Also I think all the "Xplosiv" and "Exclusive" collections, or re-releases are DRM free.

A part from the beforementioned GoG.com & Humble Indie Bundle, there is also Indie Royale, which has indie games for sale (mostly DRM-free). And there is the service known as Desura, which is basically a steam for independant games, while not DRM-free in its own right (though only minor), most of the indie games on their page are also available trough the developers websites or other DRM-free means.

I'd echo the GoG sentiment on this thread. I own a few games on there, most of which I haven't gotten around to playing. But they did give me Deus Ex that ran on my computer rather well, along with a soundtrack to the game. So there is that.

Yep, GoG and indie bundles, the humble one is not the only one btw (just the best one), right now theres an indie royale.

Not that I have tried, but I would guess that if you would buy a non DRM game like witcher 2 on amazon you would get it witout DRM, and it was dirt cheap past week... but i am lazy and waited for the steam sale.

Rheinmetall:

...the pirated ones......

The witcher 2 has no drm and hell you can use your pre order key on another pc if you deinstall the game.

Smertnik:

Great, the first post summarises exactly what I wanted to say.

I really would recommend GOG though - great system, convenient, cheap (in my opinion) and offers some amazing titles like Deus Ex and Fallout.

Shit tons. Literally, there are tons.

Off the top of my head is:
Desura
http://www.desura.com/
Green Man Gaming
http://www.greenmangaming.com/
Good Old Games
http://www.gog.com/

And some ones I'm missing. I don't understand people's problem with Steam, its in no way a intrusive DRM platform, check out Onlive if you want too.
http://www.onlive.com/

Steam isnt as intrusive a DRM scheme as some people make it out to be.

However be warned that some games will come through Steam with non-Steam DRM schemes, like Games for Windows Live or Ubisoft's infamous crap.

You just gotta do the research. Wikipedia can usually tell you what DRM a game has, if any.

Good Old Games does have little to do with DRM, but as its name suggests it doesnt really support new games.

Unlike what people say, steam DOES have offline mode. and it doesn't require online mode to be used first. I've played games on steam on the bus before (it tried to load steam in online mode, didn't work and then asked me if i wanted to load it offline mode).

Rheinmetall:

The Madman:

I don't mind for CD-key. In a way it's insulting for the customer, but I got used to this.
Steam that requires internet connection to validate the game seems minor as well. But I'm pissed with them because they are lying. Internet connection is also required each time you start your game, and they didn't mention this detail on the cover box.

What game? Most Steam games can be played while Steam is in offline mode.

Rheinmetall:

That's because it isn't required each time. Just switch Steam to off-line mode.

There are many awesome games without any serious DRM on PC. It's just that most of the big titles that you hear about will have them.

If you don't mind Steam then you could find a few there.
PC games I liked that im pretty sure didn't contain DRM.

Mount and Blade: Warband
The STALKER series
Dawn of war(The original and expansions, not the sequel)
Command and conquer 3: Tiberium wars
Supreme Commander
Tribes: Ascend beta(which is now open)

Those are the ones that come to mind anyway, there are plenty of games that I have never heard of.

If you really want to avoid DRM just steer clear of anything with Ubisoft or EA on the cover.

Dandark:
There are many awesome games without any serious DRM on PC. It's just that most of the big titles that you hear about will have them.

If you don't mind Steam then you could find a few there.
PC games I liked that im pretty sure didn't contain DRM.

Mount and Blade: Warband
The STALKER series
Dawn of war(The original and expansions, not the sequel)
Command and conquer 3: Tiberium wars
Supreme Commander
Tribes: Ascend beta(which is now open)

Those are the ones that come to mind anyway, there are plenty of games that I have never heard of.

The STALKER Series do have DRM, at least Shadow of Chernobyl, it always runs an ownership check when starting it from steam. Which is annyoing as fuck!

Tayh:
If you can tolerate steam, then you shouldn't mind Origin either.

I think GamersGate is somewhat DRM-free.
Then there's the Humble Bundle, but last I checked, they started requiring steam - which kinda defeats the purpose.

They give you the option of activating on steam. Steam is not required.

Angry Juju:
Unlike what people say, steam DOES have offline mode. and it doesn't require online mode to be used first. I've played games on steam on the bus before (it tried to load steam in online mode, didn't work and then asked me if i wanted to load it offline mode).

Mine didn't do this at all. I moved and didn't have internet. Steam asked if I wanted to start in offline mode, then it told me it couldn't and that I had to go online first.

I couldn't play any steam games for about 3 weeks.

The Witcher 2, if bought from GOG, doesn't have any DRM, also pretty much ANY game purchased from GOG and the Humble Indie Bundles.

But really, if it doesn't cripple my experience, I'm not bothered with DRM at all.

GoG sells DRM free games.

There's also the various indie bundles that are everywhere.

For big games with no DRM... well there's Witcher 2, and... um... well, Gamer's Gate doesn't put anything on the games. Though games sold there are still at the whim of what the publisher puts on 'em, but all Paradox games should be nice and DRM free.

AC10:

Angry Juju:

Mine didn't do this at all. I moved and didn't have internet. Steam asked if I wanted to start in offline mode, then it told me it couldn't and that I had to go online first.

Same thing happens to me. Seems to be random, to be honest. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Pain in the ass, it is.

AC10:

Angry Juju:

It's not meant to do that. So long as you have saved your log-in details, you should be able to use Steam even if you lose your connection.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a bug where some people can't start Steam without a connection if they haven't set it to on-line mode first. This is presumably the problem you experienced.

The safest thing to do is, if you know you're going to be without the internet for a period of time, to set Steam to off-line mode before you lose the connection.

They can whitewash Steam as "not that invasive" all they want. It's still BS. It's still another process that has to be running to play your games, tied to a service that can (and has) cut off your account and with it your access to what you've bought, leaving you with no recourse.

Until they fix the TOS to deal with that second problem, I'll continue recommending that people not buy from Steam.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked