- fun and intuitive turn based combat
- nice visuals
- Aged Well

Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, and V!
Paper Mario!
Super Mario!
Zeldas (all of the old ones up to Mask)
Star Fox. N64

Not really retro games but from my first/earlyish gaming days- 007 Nightfire and KOTOR2.

Foxpack1:
Not really retro games but from my first/earlyish gaming days- 007 Nightfire and KOTOR2.

KOTOR II...my god how I loved that game. The hours I spent finishing EVERY SINGLE CONVERSTAION PATH for Visas, Handmaiden, Bao-Dur, and Kreia...oh god..kreia...she has to be the coolest character ever.
good times...good times.

Verzin:

Foxpack1:

KOTOR II...my god how I loved that game. The hours I spent finishing EVERY SINGLE CONVERSTAION PATH for Visas, Handmaiden, Bao-Dur, and Kreia...oh god..kreia...she has to be the coolest character ever.
good times...good times.

Kotor 2 was my favorite game on the original Xbox. I wish lucasarts would do an hd collection. I would gladly hand over my $40 for that

KOTOR 2? Retro? It came out like 5 years ago!

First five that came to mind.

telocaster:

Verzin:

Foxpack1:

good times...good times.

Kotor 2 was my favorite game on the original Xbox. I wish lucasarts would do an hd collection. I would gladly hand over my $40 for that

Go on youtube and look up 'there is no life without the force'. Best ever trailer.

- Ultima VI
- Ultima VII
- Crusader: No Remorse
- Daytona
- Point Blank

First five that came to mind. No I don't know why two of them are arcade titles... do arcades even still exist?

Starlancer- Best space combat sim since Wing Commander.

Epic 40.000: Final Liberation- The game I bought my first PC for. Awesome FMV's on the 40k universe, and a fun turn-based game.

Dark Forces- The first FPS I really, REALLY got sucked in to! I still remember the day I bought it.

Mechwarrior 2- As a Battletech fan, this game was a dream come true! I still rank it as the best of the series.

Spellcross- An obscure TBS game, it had a really cool premise: Warhammer (not the official license, but clearly inspired by it) invades our present-day world. It never got old sending Hind helicopters and Humvees to take out Chaos Warriors and Wizards. Bloody hard game, too!

Super Metroid - played it last year, holds up brilliantly against modern games.
Link's Awakening - anybody who does not view this game as the best in the Zelda series clearly did not buy it bundled with a gameboy when he/she was 10.
Mechwarrior 2 - nuff said.
Super Smash Bros - fun to break out with a group of people who grew up on it.
Warcraft 3 - I hear this one got some sort of spin-off but I can't remember the name...

Final fantasy 4
Final fantasy 6
Lufia
Lufia 2
Secret of evermore .

Great games , got me into Jrpgs as a kid , been hooked ever since . R.I.P squaresoft .

Worms Armageddon.
Wolfenstein Enemy Territory.
Prince of Persia 2.
Deus Ex.
No One Lives Forever.

That's the vast majority of my childhood right there.

Crash Bandicoot Warped (PS1) - my favourite all time game :D

Gunstar Heroes (Mega Drive) - awesome run 'n' gun

Rocket Knight Adventures (Mega Drive) - fun little platformer

Tekken 3 (PS1) - IMHO the best in the Tekken series

Super Mario World (SNES) - my favourite 2D Mario game

I could list loads more but we're limited to five :P

Super Mario Bros. 3! How come no one has mentioned this!?!?

Any Mega Man game from the original to X3 is well worth you time.

Castlevania 1 was a masterpiece; very hard, even compared to other games of the time, but that's part of the awesomeness.

Sonic 2 is a fun little game, too.

Star Wars: Tie Fighter
-Great Story
-Great Visuals for the Time
-Excellent Gameplay
-Varied Missions
-TIE DEFENDER

Star Wars: Dark Forces
-Great Weapon Selection
-First Major Improvement to FPS after Doom
-Dark Troopers are scary
-Tough
-Kickass Soundtrack

Star Wars: Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight (Noticing a pattern?)
-Even Better Sequel
-Hilariously Bad Live Action Cutscenes
-Great Story
-Excellent implementation of Lightsaber Combat
-Kyle Katarn

Star Wars Episode 1: Racer
-PODRACERS!

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
-STARFIGHTERS!

Timesplitters 2 and 3

Very enjoyable multuiplayer with bots or buddys

A Decent story mode

A very in depth Stage creation tool

Fun crazy and difficult challenge mode

about 100 Badass and otherwise halarious charecter to play from

Commander Keen

Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Mischief Makers

Jumpman Jr.

and every Kirby game. (Superstar, 3, and 64 come to mind)

Super Mario Bros 3
Not the remake, the orignal NES, not only for the fact it's the best platformer EVER, but for the art style.

Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Really, can you go wrong with the blue hedgehog? Sure purists will insist on 3 with Knuckles, but this is the one I grew up playing damn it.

Robocop vs The Terminator (Bring along a Sega Game Genie)
Mind you, I never played this game with out codes, but I enjoyed the holy hell out of this gore filled shooter.

Twisted Metal III
Again, another one I never beat with out cheat codes, but I have fond memories of playing the holy hell out of in the wake of my 10th all night birthday party.

Jak and Daxter
This borders on not being truly retro, but... let it slide. It's the last great platformer I played with the "Collect a lot of this crap" mechanic.

Galaxy 5000 (NES): Futuristic racing game set in the 51st century! You take part in different races on different planets and race in a variety of space ships! There's quite a large variety for a NES title! Very very good & damn challenging!

Golden Axe Warrior (Sega Master System): Usually touted as a Zelda clone but deserves far more recognition! Despite the similarities the game stands on its own feet! It's fun, challenging, a lengthy story & features in game saving! Also has better graphics!

Total Annihilation (PC): A forgotten RTS that should NOT have been forgotten! The Arm & Core factions have decimated a galaxy fighting each other & you must choose a side and create an army to destroy your enemy! A brilliant RTS and is still my favourite! If you're an RTS fan go on gog.com immediately & get it!

Jet Force Gemini (N64): The forgotten jem in Rare's crown! 3rd person shooter where you play as a brother & sister & sometimes their faithful hound and try & stop the dark insect lord Mizar and his army from taking over the galaxy! This is the game that is always overlooked when talking about Rare's golden age on the N64!

Cannon Fodder (GBC): One of the last games in the Cannon Foder series! You take control of two soldiers at a time and each mission has you taking out the enemy and destroying certain objects! Great humour, tunes that put a smile on your face, and great fun to play. You will re-play levels again & again just so your favourite soldiers make it through & don't end up as a name on the memorial! Chose the Gameboy Colour version as being portable means you can enjoy it where ever!

There's one game that I loved to play all the time but I seriously can't remember the title of it, about three Dwarf's and they got transported onto a Alien space ship, you could then switch between the three and try to get through different levels... Honestly it's a real game. I promise. :3

Oh and same goes for this other game I've forgotten the name of right now. Jax the Rabbit... Something like that, had the word Rabbit in it, amazing music and fast gameplay. Was amazing from what I can remember. o.o

Mega Man - Any of the old one's really, if you can get through all that stuff without getting a little mad at something and can kill the boss at the end of said level I will worship you. o.o
I am terrible at the game, can't play it to save my life but yet I do love to play it for some reason. XD

Doom 95 - It's Doom. No need to say more.

Myst - It was the first puzzle game I ever played, it lead me to finding point and click games as a series of games and I loves it oh so much for that. Granted I don't get to play a lot of them now but I still have the memories of trying to rise that boat out the water on Myst.

Megaman 5, was the best one.

Kirby 64, best game of all time.

Donkey kong country 3 because nostalgia.

Super Mario bros 3.

Umm, maybe Last alert ironically because I really haven't driven home my undying love for retsupurae yet.

Baulders Gate 2

Total Annihilation

Star Wars: X-wing vs Tie Fighter

Syndicate

Icewind Dale 2

Ultima 6 - best RPG ever

X-Com - pure awesome

Master of Orion - best space strat game ever

Railroad Tycoon 2 Deluxe - better than the first one, which is saying something

Civilization 2 - better than the current one

BloatedGuppy:
KOTOR 2? Retro? It came out like 5 years ago!

First five that came to mind.

Legacy of the Ancients was AWESOME as was its followup The Legend of Blacksilver. Too bad the sequel was only ever available on the C64 and Apple II. But great choice of LoA. *golf clap*

Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars. (Some of the best RPG gameplay ever)

Bomberman 64: The Second Attack (AMAZING soundtrack, decent levels. IMO the best Bomberman game)

Mario Party 3 (Best Mario Party)

Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards (The ability to combine powers was awesome)

and if GBA games count as retro, Advance Wars (awesome turn-based strategy game.)

Banjo Tooie - Still my favorite platformer
Startropics - One of my favorite games as well
Deus Ex - FUCK YOU IT COUNTS!
Paper Mario - Best RPG evaaaaaaaaaar
Earthbound - If you don't play this you will never have a right to call yourself a hipster

ill limit to retro games that you can still get

b-17 the mighty 8th.. still a unique flight sim thats easy to get into, and nothing like it now
deus-ex.. dont think i need to say anything about this
wing commander series.. still amazing after all these years
arcanum, baldurs gate, planescape torment.. nuff said about these, pick your fave
crusader no remorse/no regret.. still full of excellent violenty goodness

ill limit to retro games that you can still get

oops double post sorry about that

Only 5?

Rayman
Medievil
Medievil 2
The Neverhood
Skullmonkeys

Crash Bandicoot 1, 2, 3 (Can't split them)
Parasite Eve
Wild Arms 1
Guardians crusade (My first Jrpg)
Tombi.

Gargoyle's Quest II
Chrono Cross
Monkey Island (series)
Grim Fandango
Leisure Suit Larry (series)

Pretty much all of my favorite games could be described as retro.

Star Fox 64: Lylat Wars - Great music, cool level design and branching mission structures.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - The best damned story-line. There isn't much game-play, but it's counteracted by the amazing music, characters and story-lines.

Chrono Trigger - The only JRPG I have ever liked, due to the fantastic plot, characters, side-quests and how much I love time travelling.

Paper Mario - Funny game, well constructed, cool levels and great music.

Pokemon Snap - Short game, but actually quite well polished and fun, a great memory for me.

Castlevania 2 (NES)
Ahriman's Prophercy (PC rest)
Diggles: The Myth of Fenris
Clonk: Endeavour
Nox

Just Plain Lazy:
There's one game that I loved to play all the time but I seriously can't remember the title of it, about three Dwarf's and they got transported onto a Alien space ship, you could then switch between the three and try to get through different levels... Honestly it's a real game. I promise. :3

Oh and same goes for this other game I've forgotten the name of right now. Jax the Rabbit... Something like that, had the word Rabbit in it, amazing music and fast gameplay. Was amazing from what I can remember. o.o

The three dwarf's game sounds a lot like The Lost Vikings
And the rabbit game might be viva ribbon.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked