is switching from console to pc worth it?
yes
74.7% (316)
74.7% (316)
no
14.7% (62)
14.7% (62)
no opinion
9.5% (40)
9.5% (40)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: is switching from console to pc worth it?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

okay its quite simple i was wondering if the problems of having a PC were really worth the upgrade from PC to console, the PC being much more expensive, requiring a much bigger time and effort commitment, and will almost certainly break down on you at some point is a big enough upgrade to merit switching from lying on my bed playing my xbox 360 (the super elite that wont red ring and which only cost 250 and came with 2 controllers and 4 games) on a massive HD tv?

the 2 thing's (aside from the obvious quality upgrade) going for the PC are
1.the ability to install mods onto games which the 360 really lacks
2. the ability to play some very good RTS games (im currently playing a low FPS version of RTW on lowest graphics settings on a netbook that runs on coal)

i get very jealous when a PC player comes up to me and says hey my skyrim game actually works well! sorting my inventory is a jiffy anyway im going to go play shogun 2 total war

It's too much hassle for me (DRM, online activation, playing at a desk with keyboard and mouse sucks, etc.), but I'm jealous of all the cool indie games and hardcore racing online.

You do get really cool exclusive games, so I guess it's worth it.

The PC offers far mroe options to customize your experience, and there is much joy to be found in building a, "Doom rig," that causes the lights on yout block to dim when you turn it on. XD

My only problem with the PC is smaller number of games being produced for the platform as of now.

MODS is all that i can think of, oh and you can change your PC's Specifications (instead of buying each console it comes out).

Yes. Console gamers are special ed kids. Come to PC, you'll get smarter.

Im kind of split on the whole thing

I PC gamed for quite a while (laptop though, so not "properly" and yeah it was great)

but I got a console because of the DRM, the fact I cant use digital distribution and it being annoying finding what I want in stores (plus that level of uncertaintly installing a new game) and not getting certain games

and I cant tell you what an awsome feeling it was ot be free of all that, being able to play the exclusives and having abigger selection to choose from

HOWEVER when it comes down to it I prefer PC gaming, I prefer the feeling of sitting at a desk having everything right there...rather than a controller, in fact right now my current set up seems to emulate PC gaming (chair, being close to the screen)

which a new console gen coming around I have considered making the switch..but then I would have all those same probelms...

Depends on what kinds of games you like. For instance, I got a pc just so I could play classic crpgs. (which consoles don't really have)

But if you just like modern games that mostly all come out on consoles anyway, it's probably not worth it, unless your a complete graphics whore or something. Or really prefer the k&m.

If you're prepared to spend the cash on something that can handle anything and won't break, sure, skimp out? Then, no.

Zeel:

PC gaming sounds fun, but you might also become like this guy, so be careful, OP!

:D

zombieshark6666:
playing at a desk with keyboard and mouse sucks

Can't you use a Xbox 360 controller on PCs?

I would say it is worth it as an investment. I am a PC/PS3 gamer. If I had to pick one over the other, I would probably pick PC but I wouldn't like having to opt out of consoles entirely. I love my PS3; not as much as my PC but still a lot of love goes towards it.

If it's not a console exclusive it is almost always better on PC, not to mention the mods that you can get.

Why would you do a binary shift?

xSKULLY:
switching from lying on my bed playing my xbox 360 (the super elite that wont red ring and which only cost 250 and came with 2 controllers and 4 games) on a massive HD tv?

Just hook your TV and a xbox controller up to your PC then.

Sheesh, it's not rocket surgery.

RhombusHatesYou:

xSKULLY:
switching from lying on my bed playing my xbox 360 (the super elite that wont red ring and which only cost 250 and came with 2 controllers and 4 games) on a massive HD tv?

Just hook your TV and a xbox controller up to your PC then.

Sheesh, it's not rocket surgery.

Rocket surgery. I would imagine that would be hard.

I play on the PC and the consoles, and that's how it's going to stay. I play games, not platforms.

That said, I find the PC experience is better overall than any console I've ever, since there's more variety, freedom, and insanely cheap sales.

Plus, I could plug an old PC game like Thief or Baldur's Gate into my TV and use Xpadder to play it on my TV with a controller if I wanted to. Or I could play a conosle port like Arkham Asylum in 1080p with maxed out graphics on a TV.

Even some console games are potentially better on the PC. But it's ideal to have both if possible.

Zeel:
Come to PC, you'll get smarter.

Agreed you will get smarter as a PC gamer if only because you'll have to research the different computer components and learn to resolve all kinds of software issues.

Why give one up? My game consoles and PC are all in the same area so I can play both any time I want. PC does have freeware though, which is games that are legally free that you can download right on to your PC. Hell, some come in ZIP files. Battleships Forever is a wonderful 2D top down tactical space battle rts game (rolls right off the tongue doesn't it? What would the genre acronym be? 2DTDTSBRTS?) with a sandbox mode and a ship editor. There's also space trading and navigation sims, exciting star fighter battles with space pirates included. And a huge variety of everything else. Also it has flash games, which are awesome.

Well the PC has the advantage of being able to do much more. I mean, you'll have a much wider variety of games, have the ability to mod at your fingertips, can switch between gameplay options of using a keyboard and mouse or a controller (usually 360) and have a much higher quality graphics system.

However, they can cost a fair bit sometimes and you can find yourself spending money fairy regular to upgrade it to be able to play newer games on higher settings. Where as you might be spending about $1000 over a couple of years to keep it up-to-date whilst maybe $500 for a console and be done with that for a couple of years until the next one.

It's personal preference really. If you have the money for one, get the PC. If not, stick with consoles.

Whilst there's no need to be exclusive about this, a pc gives better graphics, much more flexibility and more choice. There are entire genres that plain don't exist on consoles, not to mention that the vast majority of indie games can't overcome the barrier to entry for consoles. If you buy a good pc, it will run everything and it will continue to run pretty much everything until the next console cycle - weirdly consoles make pc gaming cheaper :P - making sure things work is nowhere near uncertain as people seem to be making out, the only times I've had real problems getting a game to run is when I've modded them heavily and then it's my own really :P

If you can afford to spend the extra money required to buy a decent pc - probably 5-800 for a good tower - there's no reason not to.

There's nothing you can do with a console that can't also be done with a pc (except for playing exclusives) if you prefer a controller that will work, if you want to play using your tele that will work. A pc will give the best gaming experience.

Well yes now that consoles are reaching the ends of their cycles (especially the xbox 360) If you have a PS3 you could hold out till the next generation but if not better to get a solid rig and play some great games and even though the money to get a rig is alot the games are cheaper.

It's absolutely worth it if you are willing to invest in the slightly larger initial cost time and money wise . You soon get your money's worth though with the cheaper games overall thanks to the digital distributors . Plus right now there is a huge gap between console and pc in terms of hardware , the pc is way way ahead.

And if you are someone that Santa to play with a controller on a sofa or whatever it's easy as hell to do , you literally have to plug the controller into your pc and it works with win 7 .

I believe that it is a great choice
RTS, MMOs, Mods, Indie games, Digital distribution, and more!

i'm a PC elitest. But even i'm going to say it's not worth it. Sure indie games are great but IMO there aren't enough good ones to justify going from console to PC. Stick to console, your wallet will thank me.

Also IMO it won't be long till mods are availible on consoles. As for RTS games well yeah the good ones will be on PC, but i was told a while ago that there are good RTS games on console.

It really depends how you do it, and how you plan on using your PC.

If you buy a prebuilt rig and use that - not worth it. Expensive, you have less control over it and thus understand what has gone wrong less when something stops working, and anything affordable is too low power for me to think the upgrade was worthwhile.

If you build your own rig by replacing what you have in your current Chasis with new stuff - at least the stuff that needs replacing anyway - then it is probably worth it. Far cheaper, you know what is in it and will have a better idea of what has gone wrong if something does, and the cost/power ratio isn't as far off as it is for a prebuilt rig.

From there, if it is a good rig that can run Skyrim max settings, it is probably worth it - though I'd personally do it to run BF3 max settings for more longevity - whereas if it can't run it that high, its not going to be worth it.

If you think what you gain by swapping is significant - its worth it. If you don't really mind, but think it looks cool - its probably not worth it.

xSKULLY:
PC being much more expensive

Define much more. I can run BF3 on Ultra with around 40-50 FPS for a $500 AUD upgrade (Paid $1000 in the end for another GPU and better PSU as future proofing it, though it wasn't needed). If you know what you're doing, it can be around the same price as an Xbox or PS3 (Though it won't play BF3 Ultra very well, it will run most things on medium settings just fine), and PC games are in general $10 cheaper than console games, excluding Steam Sales, meaning if you buy 10 games for the PC, you saved $100 compared to buying them on a console.

requiring a much bigger time and effort commitment

Not necessarily. To get the most out of it - yes. To simply use it - not so much. The only greater time that you'll have added onto it is waiting for the OS to load, whilst in game things will load faster thanks to the advantage of having something installed on a harddrive.

and will almost certainly break down on you at some point

Only if you're doing something wrong. I had the same PC for 7 years and it did not break down once in that time. Install and play your games, don't get into overclocking and don't download viruses or beta drivers and you should be fine.

is a big enough upgrade to merit switching from lying on my bed playing my xbox 360 (the super elite that wont red ring and which only cost 250 and came with 2 controllers and 4 games) on a massive HD tv?

You can still do this with a PC too - if you know what you're doing. I prefer my PC linked up to a monitor for the higher resolution, but you can hook it up to a TV too. You can lie in your bed with either your mouse and keyboard or a game control pad and play games.

There can be a significant jump in quality and enjoyment from console to PC for some people, and for others there is none. Really, a budget, how you are going to get your rig (Pre built, or DIY), how much you know about the more techy side of computers, and how willing you are to learn is all information that would be needed for a better idea as to whether it would be worth it or not. IMO though, it is worth it. At the end of the PS2 era my dad bought me a new PC, but refused to buy any new consoles. Years later, I thank him for that decision.

If you already have a console, then no, not really.

Why not use both? Exclusives abound sure, but when it comes to a good FPS try it on computer, if its a different style action-adventure, maybe console. There is never any need to use ONLY one or the other.

Asking this on the Escapist is like asking the Pope is it worth it to be Catholic. There is an almost overwhelming amount of PC gamers here, thankfully most are not asshole PC elitists :)

Honestly, I'd love to have a powerful PC rig, because the benefits are quite obvious as stated above. I just don't have the money to build my own, nor enough to re-buy my beloved games, so I stick with my 7 year old Xbox, which still does me well. :D

I'm actually in the process of doing this myself
And from the sounds of things, definitely yes
Just from hearing the difference between the power and the specific games you can play, it just sounds like a great improvement to console gaming to me

why not just play both ? I have 360 + PC, on PC I play RTS,MMO,FPS and exclusive PC titles, on 360 I play games that are more controller friendly & exclusives, sure PC is alot more expensive than console so it also depends how much money you are willing to put in your gaming (asuming you are planning to get powerfull PC for gaming) but on PC you get to enjoy stuff that you dont really get on consoles like very high detailed graphics,mods,better multiplayer (usually) and you can get very cheap good games on steam sales that you have no hope of getting at xbox marketplace

zombieshark6666:
It's too much hassle for me (DRM, online activation, playing at a desk with keyboard and mouse sucks, etc.), but I'm jealous of all the cool indie games and hardcore racing online.

You do get really cool exclusive games, so I guess it's worth it.

At a desk? Mate, I lie in my lounge room on a beanbag. The keyboard and mouse give me a finesse that just cannot be replicated in a control pad.

The control scheme is better, the games look better, the games are cheaper to make up for the cost of hardware...

There's a number of reasons to swap.

Zeel:

Dont become this guy OP

OT: If you are willing to shell out 800+ for a good rig then it is absolutely worth it. Also, learn how to build PCs and build one yourself, off-the-shelf PCs are almost always overpriced.

I think it really depends if you like social or solo gaming. I find that the PC is more of a solo platform while consoles seem to be pushing towards social gaming. Also, mods. :D
That's why I have a gaming PC.

Stuff like graphical fidelity and framerate are certainly better if you get a good one.
To me, anything else is subject to opinion.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked