Games you liked but quit playing due to an (arguably) stupid problem.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I almost quit playing Dead Island when (after dying on one mission about 9 times) I realized that, while you can play single player, the game doesn't feel like it was ever balanced FOR it. Enemy balance and numbers are the same as in multiplayer (according to a friend who's played in multiplayer) and that just feels lazy.

I still intend to finish it but it's on the back burner for now.

Bioshock.

Oh you're almost there, the climax of the game within your grasp and then you get slapped across the face and are sent on a fetch quest with backtracking.... No.

Zeel:
Planescape torment. I finally ran into that witch person and all mystique just evaporated. I am still interested about finishing in finishing it, I just need to find the motivation.

I need to keep playing that as well but I think I might have already gone too far. I remember people telling me to go to a specific npc to become a mage but I have no idea where they were and now my character is stuck in some catacombs after meeting Pharod and I can't move around his town since my character is too weak to fight anything. Really screwed that up but on a small silver lining I haven't gotten that far at all and I remember all of my steps. Well good luck to you finding motivation.

wintercoat:
OT: The Witcher. The animations were just god awful during conversations. It annoyed the hell out of me.

Oh dear god those animations. I know exactly what you mean as someone trying to play through The Witcher myself right now. I'm having fun but holy crap that's bad. Though I would blame the dated engine more since that still has a lot of problems. Still it doesn't excuse the problem.

Morrowind, and for a pretty petty reason I must admit... I couldn't stomach the graphics or the animations or the atrocious combat. Stupid? Yes. Immature? Definitely. Will I be giving it another shot? Probably not, or at least not anytime soon.

Deus Ex Human Revolution. Had a great time with the game until about the 3rd boss battle (the chick) and couldn't finish due to having no combat specs.

Here's a petty reason. I completely stopped playing Skyrim altogether when I tried to attempt a Thieves Guild pickpocketing quest and the Jarl of that town glitched out and wouldn't leave an area I had to trespass into.

amensia dark decent because its too scary

I bought the game
played the game
A door blew open by itself
never played again ever since

Not sure if this counts, but: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard. I wanted to like the game, but the boss fights were kind of bullshit, and the levels were "meh" at best. Here's how it went... This will probably have inaccuracies since it's been years since I played the game.

The only other game I have that I never beat was Vanquish. It has everything I love in a game, but something about it just felt off. I don't even know why I don't like it.

Mech Warrior 4
the final mission got up to the point you fight William

i wasn't able to do it because my mec always wanted to turn right.
If it tried turning left it eater stood still or walked in a strait line.

So yea fighting a daishi while your mech is spinning around is no fun

I hate the people that play Call of Duty (any of them), so i've stopped playing my Modern Warfare Trilogy and sold Black Ops...

Midgeamoo:
League of Legends due to it's community. God I just couldn't bear it anymore. I loved the game, I loved the champions, I loved everything about it but people can't just keep their fucking rage in when in front of a keyboard, every time you try to play a ranked game people are just yelling at each other all game, and as a consequence, play worse. It's just sad.

That's not petty. The community of League of Legends is really awful.

I'm not fond of horror at all. I hate those noises and basically anything you can think of associated with horror. Despite this, I have managed to trek through Resistance 2 and 3's tunnel and haunted mining town levels respectively.

One game that stopped me because of horror elements is Half-Life 2. I was progressing alright with the sound off and Guile's Theme playing in the background. Then I came across my first poison zombie.

orangeban:
Deus Ex Human Revolution, I loved that game, but I was playing a non-kill character on the hardest difficulty and I have spent like half an hour trying to take down the third boss (naked muscle man guy), desperately scavenging for weapons, plugging him with the stupid tranq rifle which I hate. He. Just. Won't. Die.

To be fair, that's pretty much your own fault. I played the stealth route as well, but I always kept an explosive revolver with me just in case. With the ridiculous amount of inventory space and ammo you get in that game, there's no excuse.

I've quit playing games that wouldn't let me adjust control settings before. That could just be the arrogant PC gamer in me though.

Mass Effect. After wandering the level for 30 minutes, looking for where to go and what to do, I realized that the steam puzzle had been infront of me the whole time. I did it, and for some reason it did not work - I played with it for another 5 minutes, before I realized that I pulled the lever the wrong way.

No. You do not make me do fucking Mako sections,have hour long conversations with imbeciles and work with an inventory system that came from the depths of hell only to slap a shitty fucking puzzle in my face.

Turned off the game, went and spoiled the story for myself, and probably wont play it ever again. Still have not tried ME2 though.

Glitches count as stupid problems, right?
I was loving Dragon Age and played through Origins and then Awakening. I got to a part in Awakening that stripped me of all my equipped gear and at the end of the section it was supposed to be in a chest, but it wasn't there. Apparently it was a known glitch where all equipped items would disappear entirely. I naturally had my best items equipped and losing that basically made me quit playing the game(I had played for a long time that day and the last hard save was hours before I found that my items would not be coming back). Sad ending to the story is that I never actually got back to the game, or more specifically my warden, since a few months later I had a hard drive death that essentially killed all my wardens, shepards, vault hunters and so on.

ShotgunZombie:
Morrowind, and for a pretty petty reason I must admit... I couldn't stomach the graphics or the animations or the atrocious combat. Stupid? Yes. Immature? Definitely. Will I be giving it another shot? Probably not, or at least not anytime soon.

If you have it on PC, Google "Morrowind 2011", it's a mod pack that pretty much makes the game modern, from the graphics to the combat.

Quit both Witcher 2 and dragon age because I normally play on console.

TF2, just because it would not run smoothly on my computer. First five minutes of gameplay was fine, but then it lagged to high hell.
Also Trauma Center: Second Opinion. Got super far in it... then triti. MOTHERFUCKING TRITI. I haven't picked it up in over a year.

NINJA GAIDEN 2 AND THEIR CHEAP AS HELL INCENDIARY SHRUIKENS!

Wait, did you guys catch that? Let me say it again.

NINJA FREAKING GAIDEN 2!

Well, I can't get through any Mass Effect game because all of the characters' arms are just... Too small. Seriously. They're like midget arms, for the entire population of the galaxy. It's very off-putting.

Also The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. I could never get far enough to get the Ocarina, so I could never save the damn game.

I can't play Fallout: New Vegas because I was never given any time to identify with the player character. In Fallout 3, the character has a clear motivation and reason to drive the plot forward, but in New Vegas, we begin right off the bat with a revenge plot, even though we have no idea who this character(even if it represents ourselves) is.

This has happened to me with several different games, I'm sorry to say, but it's always the same issue... lack of automatic save points.

For whatever reason, I've been playing this game for an hour or more without saving. Now, I save before boss battles, and before segments where the game says, "Oh yeah, this is a one-way door so you might want to save," or when I'm near powerful traps, but for whatever reason I haven't hit any of those triggers for a couple hours.

And then, without warning, I die. Loading my previous save, I find that I'd need to replay two hours of game to get back to the place where I was... yeah. Unless that game is amazing, that will win it a haiatus from me... a break that might well end up being permanant out of sheer frustration.

Petty, I know, but that's what you were asking about. :-P

Guardian of Nekops:
This has happened to me with several different games, I'm sorry to say, but it's always the same issue... lack of automatic save points.

For whatever reason, I've been playing this game for an hour or more without saving. Now, I save before boss battles, and before segments where the game says, "Oh yeah, this is a one-way door so you might want to save," or when I'm near powerful traps, but for whatever reason I haven't hit any of those triggers for a couple hours.

And then, without warning, I die. Loading my previous save, I find that I'd need to replay two hours of game to get back to the place where I was... yeah. Unless that game is amazing, that will win it a haiatus from me... a break that might well end up being permanant out of sheer frustration.

Petty, I know, but that's what you were asking about. :-P

Well it's supposed to sound petty to other people but to you it's supposed to really be a deal breaker. Like me with Grandia 3 when they just kept bringing Love out over and over regardless of the fact that the villian is freaking insane who kills 2 dieties by the time they mention love 3 times. I just couldn't take it.

orangeban:
Deus Ex Human Revolution, I loved that game, but I was playing a non-kill character on the hardest difficulty and I have spent like half an hour trying to take down the third boss (naked muscle man guy), desperately scavenging for weapons, plugging him with the stupid tranq rifle which I hate. He. Just. Won't. Die.

Bosses don't count for the no-kill... you can use anything you want on bosses and it doesn't count as a killed character. This is because whether the bosses live or die is completely determined in cut scenes, and out of the player's control...

The first part of the game counts, though. You know, that part when they give you only a lethal weapon and have you make your way through the facility?

Yeah. It was those four or five stupid kills that kept me from having my first run count as a non-lethal one. >.<

Zeel:
Planescape torment. I finally ran into that witch person and all mystique just evaporated. I am still interested about finishing in finishing it, I just need to find the motivation.

She was meant to be there from the beginning of the plot, and ties everything together nicely. She is part of the mystery, not the end of it. Keep playing. You will enjoy the ending, I guarantee it.

krazykidd:
FFXIII-2 . I can't stand the fucking moogle. Seriously . Kupo this kupo that . I mean i managed to finish X-2 for fucks sakes ( and i absolutly hated that game) . I just quit , and yet i still hear kupo everywhere!

I love Moogles in general, Mog being a permanent party member in my FF6 lineup once he's available. That being said, I can't stand Mog in 13-2! They turned a loveable creature/character into...well, I don't know what...they need to make a word for it.

---

Tanis:
Link? HEY LISTEN!
Link? HEY LISTEN!
Link? HEY LISTEN!
Link? HEY LISTEN!
Link? HEY LISTEN!
Link? HEY LISTEN!

I stop playing game with 'tutorials that never EVER end'.

For similar reasons, I stopped playing Skyward Sword. There is a 99% chance that the support character for Skyward Sword will make people look more favorably upon Navi. There is an 80% chance that people will still be more vocal about their hate for Navi more though.

---

I stopped playing Rage because it felt too repetitive and impersonal. I felt no connection whatsoever with the player-character or the quest givers/support characters. Sure, the guns feel great but the action started getting repetitive too soon. Especially Vehicle combat.

I stopped playing Deus Ex: HR because jokes about the game giving me a ventilation shaft fetish started getting a bit more true the more I played. I beat the game on easy though so there's that.

And I'm surprised no one has mentioned Suikoden 4. A great series that really had few to no flaws all of a sudden releasing a game that was unplayable. The random encounters would happen every five or six steps, so to walk across a room from one person to talk to another, and then walk back, could take upwards of half an hour. This also made you terribly overleveled for boss fights, and took all the challenge out of the game. It was unplayable unless you had an inhuman tolerance for grinding.

EDIT: Double post deleted.

Bioshock, because my friend would not shut up about how deep the story was. or how this character alludes to that character in Greek mythology or how the big daddy represent the oppression that the working man feels. He just went on and on about it. Especially the twist, would not shut up about it

Auron225:

2) The save points. I know that sounds truly stupid, but for some reason whenever I tried to save, it would take at least 5 minutes. It seemed like my PS2 would go at the speed of a 15 year-old computer with thousands of viruses and 10 programmes open at once - aka, veeerrryyyy slloowwww. It often resulted in saving under different slots rather than overwriting the same data. The game would work fine after going back into gameplay again though - it was JUST saving that was slow like that.

Just out of curiosity, were you using a 3rd party memory card? I had the same problem with Guitar Hero III, and it turned out that it didn't like the "Mad Catz" memory card I was using. Of course, I wasn't about to replace a perfectly good memory card for a mediocre game, so I guess that becomes my entry onto this list. :)

*checks Steam Library*

80% of the games I've bought on Humble Bundles. Why? There's something I like to call the "Indie Game Frustration", those games are (IMO) specially designed to piss me off. Every time I get stuck somewhere I ragequit and ignore the game for a few months. Some games keep bringing me back like Bit.Trip Runner or SpaceChem because I actually like them but otherwise it's a dead end for me.

There's also the Final Fantasy XII incident, I played the game once and I got it to 99% (only missed 2 items, the Grand Armor and the dreaded Danjuro). A few months after I decided to start a new one, everything was going fine until I saved. Over the old save file. Needless to say I shut down the console, took out the disc and smashed it several times against the wall until it got a noticeable crack, then I threw it in the garbage.

I stopped playing The Force Unleashed because the loading screens were unbearable. It certainly didn't help that while I enjoyed the gameplay the story caused a lot of problems to the greater Star Wars continuity that I didn't like.

nameless023:
*checks Steam Library*

80% of the games I've bought on Humble Bundles. Why? There's something I like to call the "Indie Game Frustration", those games are (IMO) specially designed to piss me off. Every time I get stuck somewhere I ragequit and ignore the game for a few months. Some games keep bringing me back like Bit.Trip Runner or SpaceChem because I actually like them but otherwise it's a dead end for me.

There's also the Final Fantasy XII incident, I played the game once and I got it to 99% (only missed 2 items, the Grand Armor and the dreaded Danjuro). A few months after I decided to start a new one, everything was going fine until I saved. Over the old save file. Needless to say I shut down the console, took out the disc and smashed it several times against the wall until it got a noticeable crack, then I threw it in the garbage.

That actually mirrors my experience with the Final Fantasy remake on Gameboy Advance. Literally got to the very last level and entered Chaos's level and saved. Later I decided to try a full red mage party for the fun of it and saved over my almost done game. Never played it again.

The first Prinny game. It was fun until the last boss... but grinding through a gigantic mass of boss health in three minutes is complete cock and balls.

I just don't have the capacity to button mash the x button to hell and evade at the same time.

I just abandoned Dragon Age II part way through. Having played Dragon Age: Origins to death and bought all the DLC and the expansion I was really excited about the sequel. I pre ordered the signature edition and eagerly waited for the release date.

Whether or not the story is any good is always subjective but it wasn't that that made me quit, the slap dash "that will do" construction of the game did. Copy pasted areas, unfinished graphics, poor(audio)quality of the voice acting (and the acting itself )and lots of little details like no zooming out to see what your party is doing and to help place AoE markers frustrated me.

The excitement of waiting for the release turned into such bitter disappointment that I couldn't finish the game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked