Wait, I can do that?

You know those moments when you are gaming and you find out something really helpfull and either facepalm or say wait, I can do that. I would like to hear you moments

Mine was, I was playing skyrim as a dual wielding Khajiit. I knew that with two swords you could use a special power attack but I found out that you could do a special normal attack by just tapping down the two mouse buttons at once. I felt like an idiot because it was so obvious.

I recall someone made a thread just like this a few weeks ago. At least a month ago, so I'll just contribute here.

A friend of mine came over and we decided to do a Just Cause 2 playthrough. Mainly fooling around with Berings (big cargo planes) and road vehicles attached to them as they take off. Normally the Bering will take off and immediately keel over and crash. Even if it lands on the land (the runway is on an island, so it tends to hit the water), your car should be fine. But I've never seen the Bering actually manage to gain altitude. Until that playthrough, that is. The camera does weird things when the plane goes off the ground, so it's hard to see where you're at and where you're going (up, down, toward the Bering...) and this one was no exception. However, when the plane rotated about 180 degrees (which is when they normally hit the ground) we were still flying high. And flying higher... Eventually (as in, 15-20 minutes) we hit the ceiling of the game, which is a good 5-8km (not sure, and that's a conservative guess), so I eventually cut the rope. After 2 minutes of freefall, I hit the water. I've done many things on this game. I've flied planes in ways that seemed physically impossible, like flying under bridges 10 feet high. I've driven around the highway of the main island in 15 minutes. on the oncoming lane. But I have never seen a bering fly with that much added weight. I must do more experiments...for science.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. When I found out you could pick up and throw bombs.

A common one is games with flash lights, often you can turn off the flash light to avoid having enemies spot you. In games where its better to run away from enemies, like say Silent Hill, realizing you have this option can help a lot.

The fact that Star Power could be activated by tilting the Guitar controller in Guitar Hero made it much easier to pull off, as you didn't need to move hands away from strum to do it. The skills of hammers and pull-ups (which didn't work right until the 2nd games) and double strumming all made the game a lot easier for the hard song.

I think the classic examples of this are the Sonic 3 elevator platforms you can move by pressing up in the Carnival Night Zone. And of course the ability to punch the rat in the Rat Race level of Battle Toads makes that level much easier (a snowflake in hell improvement on difficulty to the over all game, but still). Every fighting game is also built up on glitches that can be utilized in this way.

When playing Saint's Row The Third I didn't discover the hostage or streaking mini-games for ages, I just sort of stumbled across each in my own way. Hostage I only found some considerable way into the game and streaking I didn't find for a long while after I'd completed it.

I've been playing through Deus Ex: Human Revolution and am just past the part with the downed helicopter. I didn't realize I can pick up turrets and move them around. Now instead of painstakingly sneaking around or hunting for security terminals I just pick them up and stick them in a corner.

The_Lost_King:
You know those moments when you are gaming and you find out something really helpfull and either facepalm or say wait, I can do that. I would like to hear you moments

Mine was, I was playing skyrim as a dual wielding Khajiit. I knew that with two swords you could use a special power attack but I found out that you could do a special normal attack by just tapping down the two mouse buttons at once. I felt like an idiot because it was so obvious.

You think you're an idiot? I didn't know what perks were until level 18. I just left them there, assuming the whole "pick to raise your stamina/magicka/health" thing was the only thing that came from levelling. Needless to say things became a lot easier after I used those up.

The fast-travel function in Oblivion. I walked everywhere for a lot of my first playthrough, which was especially a pain in the ass when I was travelling with a companion.

Hmm. Well I didn't learn how to DHC in UMVC3 until really late. You can't claim to be good unless you can DHC effectively. You do the next character's movements while one of your hypers is already active. Derpy do

Basically you use a hyper and you can cancel out of it into another member of your teams hyper. It's a combo extender/mostly safe character change and it can get pretty crazy.

Like when Taskmaster fired his projectile hyper at my X-23, i used her invincible charge hyper to power through it, he then switched to Wesker's counter hyper and I had to switch to Ammy's projectile hyper before the charge hit... This happens in about 5 seconds. It's amazing.

It reminds me of Magic: The Gathering but in super fast-o-vision.

Oh and I either fail my X-Factor cancels completely or I get an instant kill double Order in the Court on someone.

Also the entire of Dark Souls... Fuck that game.

Treeinthewoods:
I've been playing through Deus Ex: Human Revolution and am just past the part with the downed helicopter. I didn't realize I can pick up turrets and move them around. Now instead of painstakingly sneaking around or hunting for security terminals I just pick them up and stick them in a corner.

...You can pick up turrets?

...FUCK

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Treeinthewoods:

...FUCK

Yeah, I laughed pretty hard. Now I am envisioning my next play through where I kill people by hacking the turret, pick it up and slowly walk through the level like the Terminator. Who needs ammo?

Fable 3, you can charge those area-effect magic spells.

Team Fortress 2, taunting with the Kritzreig gives you a small health boost.

Killing Floor, meleeing most enemies in the head with the 'fast' attack stuns them.

Halo games after Halo 3, you can rip mounted turrets off

Star Wars Battlefront 2, you can play in third person OR first person.

I had a really 'derp' moment in portal 2 when I was walking around carrying a cube trying to reach a ledge. It never occurred to me that I had a portal gun and I felt like an idiot when I realized

Fallout 3; Dunwhich Building.

You have no idea how stupid/relieved I felt when I found out your Pip-Boy had a light. That was after I'd got to the monolith, though. *derp*

Treeinthewoods:

YOU CAN PICK THEM UP? SHIT.

Gonna replay that now...

isnt there a part in deus ex where you have to pick up and move a couple of turrets to get past them, or am i imagining things or did you just blow them up

In Wind Waker I forgot about the Parry Attack until the fight with ganon.

Would of helped a lot if I remembered sooner.

Treeinthewoods:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Treeinthewoods:

...FUCK

Yeah, I laughed pretty hard. Now I am envisioning my next play through where I kill people by hacking the turret, pick it up and slowly walk through the level like the Terminator. Who needs ammo?

thats what i did i carried turreyt as long as a could

Quicksaving in, like, 6 games. I learned its existence at the END of the game. Most recent was KoA.
Also assigning shortcuts to favs on skyrim..that made me went insane and resulted in 19 deaths.

TheYellowCellPhone:

Killing Floor, meleeing most enemies in the head with the 'fast' attack stuns them.

wait, you can play in 3rd or first person? How?

The_Lost_King:

TheYellowCellPhone:

wait, you can play in 3rd or first person? How?

It's in Settings or Options, probably under the view option. It worked on Xbox, and if I really wanted to I could check the PC version I have on Steam.

First person kinda sucks though, it feels like it was shoehorned in at the last minute. A lot of the guns don't even have first-person viewmodels and all of them don't have reload animations.

Back when San Andreas first came out, I fell into the water and waited for my health to start dropping when I.....Started to SWIM?!? This BLEW my mind, coming from the lack of this skill in Vice City and III

In Saints Row the 3rd, I had no idea you could fly sideways, upside down or do a barrel roll when you're flying with planes or STAG aircraft. Then I found out that stunt locations(land or air) are collectible things. They don't count for 100% and neither do challenges, strangely.

Only one that comes to mind, was in Prototype, you need to upgrade your skills and powers and stuffs as the game goes on. Yet I completely upgraded every power up at the half-way point in the game and was like "WTF? that's all the powers in the game? That's like 6!".

It wasn't until the final boss was kicking my ass that I realized I was only looking at the first tab, there were 5 more tabs of powers that I never saw. On the plus side I am now extremely good with that arm blade thing, since that was the only weapon I had that did a damn thing against the later enemies.

Treeinthewoods:

Ah yes, I believe you need the "pick up heavier objects" augment though. However, I think I saw in a trailer that you can hack the turrets and turn them to your side, then just pick them up and point them at people to let them do the killing. I've yet to do this myself, but it sounds totally badass.

Treeinthewoods:

Better yet, hack them to attack enemies and carry them through the level. (After your pacifist run, of course.)

I made this exact thread not too long ago. -_-

I'll toss something in anyways - Did you know you can turn around in mid-air and flip off things in Mirror's Edge and land a back roll when you hit the dirt?

BECAUSE I DIDN'T!

I recently played Bioshock for the first time, and I didn't realize you could zoom in/focus your gun until the part with the bomb. I don't think they told me I could do that, and it was set to "z" by default, which I never pressed until I did accidentally while getting the parts for the bomb. I immediately rebound that to M2 and set the switch between guns and plasmids to M3 and all of a sudden, the crossbow didn't suck anymore.

Not really a specific game, but I felt like a total moron after having had my ps3 for over a year before realising that I only had it set on 540 instead of 720/1080. Only found this out when I played Borderlands splitscreen at home after playing at a friends house, and was trying to figure out why it split the screen vertically as opposed to horizontally.

*facepalm*

In too many RPGs to count, fighting against some undead boss, and finding out that healing them = damage. Best one I can think of is Breath of Fire 3, right when you get to the adult stage. Damn Zombie dragon was brutual, and then one time I accidently selecting him and used revive. I felt pretty dumb for not trying sooner.

The game : Skyrim
The screwup : I didn't know how to activate perks (I kept trying to use Enter to activate them)

I had to go ask a friend of mine how to do it.

The most depressing part of this is that out of all my friends, I'm the biggest video game nerd.

After using TOR's autorun all the time then when back to WoW found that WoW has also always had it and on the same button.

I just came to this forum section to make this thread. Woah.

Anyway, I did a full playthrouh of Saints Row 3 without realizing I could upgrade my weapons at any ammo shop. I only accidentally landed on that option the second time playing.

Not neccesarily a game, but middle clicking on a link with your mouse opens it in a new tab! And middle clicking a tab closes it, whether you are on it or not! Brilliant! cut my internet time down by half!

Final Fantasy Tactics has a lot of little planning features that it doesn't heavily advertise! Like at the start of each turn you can cancel the 'move, action wait' window and look around the map, when doing this you can highlight an enemy to se where they can move too, on their nect turn, and also you can see their abilities, and stats... great for the more in depth plannin later in the game, to stay out of harms way!

Dunn159:
I had a really 'derp' moment in portal 2 when I was walking around carrying a cube trying to reach a ledge. It never occurred to me that I had a portal gun and I felt like an idiot when I realized

I played through the developer's commentary of Portal 2, and I remember in one level they said once they introduced so many new mechanics (cubes, discouragement beams, funnels, faith plates, etc) playtesters would get to the simpler puzzles, get distracted by the mechanic-based parts of the puzzle, and often forget they had a portal gun. So they tried to break up the mechanics sections with portal sections, or better integrate them so the player wouldn't have as much of a chance to forget they have a gun that shoots portals :3 So worry not, you aren't alone in that one, lol.

I'm making mental notes of all of these haha.

I also don't have a game example so I'll give another browser one.
Just like alt+tab and alt+f4 cycle and close programs/windows respectively.
ctrl+tab and ctrl+f4 (also ctrl+w) cycles and closes TABS in browsers or at least in chrome.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked