EA/Biowares Exploitative Business Practices Made it to Forbes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Wow, Zeel got suspended (finally). The funny part... He wont be back until after ME3 is out, wonder what he will have to say then! Stay tuned!

Gearhead mk2:
Ok EA is self explanitory but, what has Bioware done to gather all this hate? Is is something with TOR, ME3, the fact they havent made a new Dragon Age, or what?

There's no "Bioware" anymore in the classic sense, they're part of EA, it's just a recognizable brand now. There's new studios being erected like Bioware Victory that don't have any of the Bioware people working there to make C&C: Generals 2, they merged EA Mythic into the Bioware brand, the Doctors are now EA Vice Presidents etc.

Gethsemani:

Thoric485:
Thanks, console gamers.

... I don't get it.

Do you blame console gamers for this? First day DLC? DLC altogether? I need to know!

Microsoft was the first to charge for DLC in 2002 and they coined the term "Downloadable Content", with the Xbox 360 they fully integrated "DLC features" into their storefront/marketplace (as well as made it practicable to take money from people for them to be able to play online), games like Guitar Hero and Call of Duty have been the biggest reason for the success of the practice, games usually had full "Expansion Packs" with extensive new content before that.

SonOfVoorhees:
I think people are annoyed because with ME2, you were rewarded for buying new with a code to download lots of free stuff. I guess we all thought they would have something similar with this game.

They still do, it's the Online Mode and they still have an "Online Pass" for that, which doesn't extend to used copies. They just phased the important content most of the people wanted to "Pay Only" instead.

razer17:
Well what he is saying is completely right. Companies exist to make money, not to serve us. They have to tread the fine line between screwing customers just enough that they still buy the products and maximise profits.

Gethsemani:
I know this! It is to give us awesome games, right? To deliver the best customer experience at the lowest possible cost? To satisfy my need for diversion in my otherwise bleak life?... No?

Surely, the reason companies exist can't be to make money to its' owners. That would be a preposterous thought, that companies are created and maintained with the foremost goal of making money.

Now it's getting back down to those ridiculous company-apologetics...
Companies exist for a various number of reasons and they're not always there to "make money", but to do whatever their owner deems them to do. There are a lot of Privately Held companies that put values like customer satisfaction, top quality, innovation in certain fields, the well-being of their employees, sometimes even welfare depending on their model or if they are non-profit above maximization of profit.

As a thinking human being you should be able to distinguish (and in a non-monopolistic market also choose) from them instead of drooling along behind them.
As such, I've personally already stopped buying any Activision titles (including Blizzard) years ago out of that reason alone and while I did get Mass Effect 2, Battlefield 3 (despite Origin), Star Wars: The Old Republic (also paid for two months sub before I cancelled it because of this) and several other games like the Dead Space series and similar from EA lately, they are on their best way to go on that list right quick if they continue to show their disdain by trying to exploit their customers openly like this. I'll spend my money on more Indie games instead ,on companies like Valve (I have like 350 games on Steam) and CDProjekt that respect their customers and value their opinion (or at least those that don't exploit them too much), or on things like KickStarter projects for games that I actually want to see like the Double Fine Adventure I've spent money on, the upcoming (round-based, isometric) Wasteland 2 or the Obsidian game I likely will.
It's ultimately my choice, and if EA lets this go too far I'll just stop buying their products... so far it's just Mass Effect 3. There's a difference.

Even if you think it's fair deal for companies to do "anything to make money" (which is insane, because that is only due to an aberration in today's capitalistic corporatism that got us into this worldwide economic crisis and isn't sustainable long-term), please at least stop defending them, they don't need your help defending letting children in Africa work for them in factories, having their tech support in India, contracting tech companies in China that are known for suicides and threats of mass suicides, having their Q&A department in Romania and generally making use of the globalization in whatever way possible while selling to the highest possible price back in the western market. You are just arguing against your own interests and rights as a consumer and that's a rather baffling thing to do...

That aside, pissing off a large part of your consumer base with every move is very often not quite the best way to make money, companies like Valve that had 100% growth for their seventh consecutive year would probably know and could tell you a story about that. ("You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." often applies, especially for Long-term profits)

Btw. "Bioware Social Network" seems to be down, wonder what happened, their forums were getting kinda "hot" lately: http://social.bioware.com/

Zeel is his own worst enemy, which is kind of funny in a sad way.

On-topic: Companies making money? How dare they carry on with such diabolical business practices. Everyone knows companies don't exist to MAKE A PROFIT. Amirite gusy? Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If they can make 10 euros off a DLC pack and you're not willing to buy it, while someone else is - how does that affect you?

And no, you are not entitled to an optional squad member that costs money just because you want it but don't want to pay for it. If you don't want it, it shouldn't be a problem right? And if you do want it - pay.

Entitled gamers etc.

Good fucking God people Have I missed the story where the intricate details of the DLC were released? Where it explicitly states you NEED THIS DLC TO UNDERSTAND THE GAME? Where without it you will be lost and confused, never able to enjoy Mass Effect 3 without it?

Pretty sure I haven't, Pretty sure its whining, entitled, hyperbolic gamers *again* going way beyond rational speculation, deciding just how important this DLC is without know anything about it beyond a few screen shots and a couple of severely vague blurbs.

Chances are the DLC will be like Zaeed's DLC - Short, uninteresting and adds nothing of real value. You'll get a new mission, a new person to make small talk with and a new set of clothes and it will all take place near completely separate from the main mission, so that people who don't have the DLC won't notice its absence.

There is literally no reason beyond childish bleating that justifies calling it "Exploitative". It's pathetic; If you don't think the DLC is worth $10, don't buy it, have some self control.

Thoric485:
Thanks, console gamers.

No problem. Onwards fellow console gamers! Our plan to ruin PC gamers by simply enjoying playing on a console instead is working!

Seriously, coming from a PC gamer, you're just being childish.

OT:

Least its getting some attention now. But hey, i'm good with buying a used copy of ME3, doesn't count towards their sales so screw it, why not.

Just because companies are designed to make money doesn't mean they should exploit customers. And it's funny really. All this will do is make more people want to pirate. I've got an idea.
You can get either:
90% of a game
Pay extra for the rest
Some content locked out
Spyware required to run it
Or
100% of the game
All extras
No spyware required
Gets content not available with the first option

I want you to honestly say that you'd pick the first one.

Dexter111:

Now it's getting back down to those ridiculous company-apologetics...
Companies exist for a various number of reasons and they're not always there to "make money", but to do whatever their owner deems them to do. There are a lot of Privately Held companies that put values like customer satisfaction, top quality, innovation in certain fields, the well-being of their employees, sometimes even welfare depending on their model or if they are non-profit above maximization of profit.

As a thinking human being you should be able to distinguish (and in a non-monopolistic market also choose) from them instead of drooling along behind them.
As such, I've personally already stopped buying any Activision titles (including Blizzard) years ago out of that reason alone and while I did get Mass Effect 2, Battlefield 3 (despite Origin), Star Wars: The Old Republic (also paid for two months sub before I cancelled it because of this) and several other games like the Dead Space series and similar from EA lately, they are on their best way to go on that list right quick if they continue to show their disdain by trying to exploit their customers openly like this. I'll spend my money on more Indie games instead ,on companies like Valve (I have like 350 games on Steam) and CDProjekt that respect their customers and value their opinion (or at least those that don't exploit them too much), or on things like KickStarter projects for games that I actually want to see like the Double Fine Adventure I've spent money on, the upcoming (round-based, isometric) Wasteland 2 or the Obsidian game I likely will.
It's ultimately my choice, and if EA lets this go too far I'll just stop buying their products... so far it's just Mass Effect 3. There's a difference.

Even if you think it's fair deal for companies to do "anything to make money" (which is insane, because that is only due to an aberration in today's capitalistic corporatism that got us into this worldwide economic crisis and isn't sustainable long-term), please at least stop defending them, they don't need your help defending letting children in Africa work for them in factories, having their tech support in India, contracting tech companies in China that are known for suicides and threats of mass suicides, having their Q&A department in Romania and generally making use of the globalization in whatever way possible while selling to the highest possible price back in the western market. You are just arguing against your own interests and rights as a consumer and that's a rather baffling thing to do...

That aside, pissing off a large part of your consumer base with every move is very often not quite the best way to make money, companies like Valve that had 100% growth for their seventh consecutive year would probably know and could tell you a story about that. ("You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." often applies, especially for Long-term profits)

Btw. "Bioware Social Network" seems to be down, wonder what happened, their forums were getting kinda "hot" lately: http://social.bioware.com/

You are reading a lot into my response there, many things which I don't even believe or think to begin with. My point is simply that most big corporations today (EA included) will not do something out of kindness or love for their fellow man. Their responsibility, in the modern stock market, is to create profit for their shareholders. If they don't their stock will plummet and they will eventually go out of business. That's not EAs fault, that's the fault of the current capitalistic, free market model.

Why can EA go on with their abhorrent business practices against customers? Because most customers don't care. The majority of games buyers today doesn't possess the same level of knowledge or information about the production companies that us "hardcore" gamers do. The average FIFA/NHL/Madden/Sims/Dead Space/Battlefield player is a casual gamer at best and buys games they think seem fun or interesting. Hence, EA isn't pissing off a large part of their consumer base, they are just pissing off the small part with the largest insight.

Most gamers won't know, and thus care, about things like the insane suicide rate at the factories that makes xbox, the silly deal with some day 1 DLC (not all of it) or the cutthroat competition that producers put game studios through today. I ain't saying I condone it, but in that way the gaming market today ain't any different from any other market. The average consumer wants the product and doesn't care or want to know how or where it was made or what the company that produces it has done to keep the price down.

If we ever want to change this, we need to get off these internet forums and out into mainstream media. The hardcore gamer community isn't the biggest part of the game consumer group anymore. Or, at the very least, tell all our friends and aquiantances to stay away from games and consoles put out by these companies.

EDIT: As for Valve, they've pretty much monopolized the digital distribution market. This is partially due to their good PR, but mostly it has to do with being the first and most aggressive player on the market. Steamworks actively ties more games to itself then impulse or origin does and that makes them the go-to choice for DD, for a long time Steamworks was also the only DD that also functioned as a DRM and thus made games exclusive to steam. It is first with origins that they've got a competitor in that cateogry.

SpartanBlackman:
Just because companies are designed to make money doesn't mean they should exploit customers. And it's funny really. All this will do is make more people want to pirate. I've got an idea.
You can get either:
90% of a game
Pay extra for the rest
Some content locked out
Or
100% of the game
All extras
No spyware required

You know... the second option you described was exactly what you get in the collectors edition of ME3 on Xbox right?

This is about the ME3 launch day DLC, isn't it? Yeah, that was kinda douchey on EA's part, but at least it's not central to the storyline. I'm not gonna buy it because of money (unless a miracle occurs), but the DLC is pretty irrelevant to me.

Also, Forbes is full of some of the worst human beings on the planet. Its readers are all about making money by any means necessary, no matter who needs to be enslaved.

I actually prefer the DLC model. I can make the game as i want it and not have the useless rubbish i don't want.

Gearhead mk2:
Ok EA is self explanitory but, what has Bioware done to gather all this hate? Is is something with TOR, ME3, the fact they havent made a new Dragon Age, or what?

In brief, people believe that because DA2 was clearly rushed out and both it and ME2 were streamlined in one way or another, they find that they have "sold out" or some similar aphorism, and are essentially pulling a Yahtzee and hating Bioware because they think they'll disappoint them. That doesn't apply to all the hate they've gotten, but I can't help but find that to be at least part of the equation for most people.

For the record, I think its asinine.

As for the new DLC, I doubt Bioware planned this (EA or some manager probably realized that at this point in the series, there would be very few people not buying it on launch day or downloading), and they probably wouldn't be able to get their investment back. I really only find fault with the fact that they tried to very flimsily justify it. If they had stayed silent and taken the rather understandable hate that would ensue, I'd at least be able to respect their understanding of their fanbase.

He's right. Vote with your wallets. If it's not worth the price to you then don't buy it. Games are a luxury not a necessity.

RagTagBand:
Good fucking God people Have I missed the story where the intricate details of the DLC were released? Where it explicitly states you NEED THIS DLC TO UNDERSTAND THE GAME? Where without it you will be lost and confused, never able to enjoy Mass Effect 3 without it?

Well, no. But its happened before with Arkham City. What I've heard (I haven't actually played through it) is that without the Catwoman DLC, half the story is left unexplained. It's understandable to be wary of things like this.

Sidenote - Captcha: Hypocrify - the action taken when one becomes a hypocrite

Raiyan 1.0:
Look guys, here's the best idea.

Rail about DLCs and call for massive boycotts. But quietly buy it yourself.

Maybe even have a private cackle about it later.

Yeah, like that!

I just want to point out that here (South Africa) prices of games have remained relatively stable for the last few years; prices for console games go up when a new console is released, then they drop down fairly quickly. In a world where everything is getting more expensive, I'd much prefer a company's business model to be: Release game at same price, look for excess profit in DLC....because what that does is let me buy games with no more cost then before, and gives me the option of choosing what specifically I would like to pay extra for from the DLC. So at least in my situation, its more or less a win/win.

FelixG:

SpartanBlackman:
You can get either:
90% of a game
Pay extra for the rest
Some content locked out
Or
100% of the game
All extras
No spyware required

You know... the second option you described was exactly what you get in the collectors edition of ME3 on Xbox right?

Wow, I didn't know that you got all of the figurine weapon and armour and all of the preorder bonuses with the collectors edition

AdamRhodes:

Well, no. But its happened before with Arkham City. What I've heard (I haven't actually played through it) is that without the Catwoman DLC, half the story is left unexplained. It's understandable to be wary of things like this.

Well...so?

- Unrelated Developer
- Unrelated Publisher
- No information at all the even hints that the ME3 is needed to understand the game.

There are no links, Zero, from ME3's DLC and the Catwoman DLC in any way, shape or form.

Once again I must reiterate that gamers (who are getting up in arms about this DLC) are being whiny, irrational, hyperbolic children.

RagTagBand:

AdamRhodes:

Well...so?

- Unrelated Developer
- Unrelated Publisher
- No information at all the even hints that the ME3 is needed to understand the game.

There are no links, Zero, from ME3's DLC and the Catwoman DLC in any way, shape or form.

Once again I must reiterate that gamers (who are getting up in arms about this DLC) are being whiny, irrational, hyperbolic children.

Well, no links except for Day One DLC and it comes with if you preorder. I'm not saying the DLC is going to be needed, I'm just saying its happened before. They're not related, they're potentially similar and that makes people uneasy (which is an understatement, I know).

AdamRhodes:

You heard wrong. The playable parts of Catwoman are nonessential to the story. The parts that are essential are cutscenes that are avaiable without the DLC.

The following are a raw summaration of what it contains:

And add to that, you get the DLC with every new copy without paying extra for it.

Edit: Forgot the final spoiler tag.

Thoric485:
Thanks, console gamers.

No problem.

AdamRhodes:

Well, no links except for Day One DLC and it comes with if you preorder. I'm not saying the DLC is going to be needed, I'm just saying its happened before. They're not related, they're potentially similar and that makes people uneasy (which is an understatement, I know).

Again, the only similiarity is that they are both nonessential to the story (I read the part the Prothean crew member plays in the plot...).

Catwoman DLC is part of any non second hand copy of the game. It doesn't come as a preorder bonus.

One man's "neat extra" is another's "cut content." Or to put less fair: One man's "neat extra" is another's "RAHHH THEY'RE EVILLLLLLLLLL MONEYGRUBBERS"

So anyway as much as I will "defend" the company's right to do so and defend the point that just because it was made "at the same time" doesn't mean it was made under the "same" budget, I pretty much hit the DLC line anyway. I bought Warden's Keep for DA:O, but I haven't bought any other Bioware DLC since then because, get this, I didn't think it would be worth the money. And the minute I feel like I bought an "incomplete" game is the minute I will stop buying future games from whoever. (unless it looks realllllly good)

To some people, though, just by existing it becomes "essential" to the game. So thinking they are only selling "part" of the game and charging for the "rest" through DLC is not really a solid viewpoint anyway.

The article's point, as far as I'm concerned, is correct if you look at it from a business point of view. The people still line down and buy the stuff, even though it's morally wrong to lock stuff up from the disc itself and charge it for extra cash, especially since it's apparently important to the story and lore of the game. Sadly only we the vocal minority in the web can see that.

Though in times like these, ITT pirates should make themselves more vocal in their work. Not only will they look like heroes to the majority, they'd be making an enemy of a corporation that's generally hated anyways. Even though two wrongs do not make a right, people should not get away with charging people for content that's important to the story or lore of the game.

That said, I don't plan on buying or even pirating mass effect 3, since sci-fi's not really my cup of tea, and I don't really like modern Bioware for that matter.

SpartanBlackman:
You can get either:
90% of a game
Pay extra for the rest
Some content locked out
Or
100% of the game
All extras
No spyware required

I honestly can say I pick the first option. You know, the legal one? I don't feel that they have to cater to my whim. If something the developer does annoys me too much, I don't buy the game. I don't play the game. At absolutely no point does piracy become the reasonable option. Don't like the game enough to pay for it? Then do without entirely.

AD-Stu:
Simple question: what is a big company like EA's reason for being?

cora mcstrap:
I actually prefer the DLC model. I can make the game as i want it and not have the useless rubbish i don't want.

Is it alright that I heard your post in Spike's voice? Because I totally did.

FelixG:

This provided me with great amusement.

OT: Guys, I bought the Collectors Edition. I did it because I really like this game and series, and am willing to shell out the additional cash to see more of what Bioware has to offer in the Mass Effect universe.

As far as I can tell, the Mass Effect 3 DLC squad member and mission will be no more needed for the story than Zaeed/Katsumi and Normandy Crash site was for Mass Effect 2. Zaeed and Katsumi were interesting characters that I enjoyed working with an the Normandy Crash site was one of the more emotional moments I've had in gaming, but they were far from needed to the story.

However, if what some people are saying is true, and this DLC is needed for the story, I will say right here and right now that I will not buy another EA game.[1] If it comes to that, I will link my Xbox profile to my account as proof.[2]

[1] Other than Dragon Age 2 and possibly Dragon Age 3, seeing as I only recently started DA:O and would like to complete the series.
[2] As of yet, I don't have a Steam Account and don't have a Playstation.

Zen Toombs:
Other than Dragon Age 2 and possibly Dragon Age 3, seeing as I only recently started DA:O and would like to complete the series.

You know how most backlash is hyperbole? DA2 is as bad as people say it is.

The only way DA2 is linked to DA:O is that it takes place in the same setting and has cameos by DA:O characters (that frequently ignore any decisions you made in DA:O.)

My advice is that if you beat DA:O and want more DA:O, play one of the following:

A) DA:Awakening
B) Baldur's Gate Series
C) Witcher Series
D) DA:O again

FelixG:
Wow, Zeel got suspended (finally). The funny part... He wont be back until after ME3 is out, wonder what he will have to say then! Stay tuned!

If this were Facebook, I would like this quote!

Anyways, the fella that wrote this article has hit the nail on the head. If people feel this is worth it, they will shell out for it. Is it ethical? Not particularly. But I'm not going storm on Bioware for this, it's likely EA but then again, this whole "this is evil, this is good!" arguement isn't black and white, but various shades of grey.

Truth is, if enough people won't take a stand against it, it's not going to change, doesn't matter how much people yell about it.

I've seen people claim to boycot the game and/or send polite complaints to EA as a method of standing against this. This, in my opinion, is a positive in their favour. Piracy is not.

I see why piracy is seen as a good stand against these companies - let me explain why it's not.

EA Before Piracy - This was developed after the game was complete, and therefore that's why we're charging!
EA After Piracy - People are pirating the game and therefore we must charge for this DLC to make up the money!

Plus, since DLC is much, much harder to pirate, and let's say piracy did work, you'd be getting the game free (albeit illegally) and then download the DLC after it's made free. You're now the bad guy and are damaging the industry.

Yay, hypocracy is fun!

Personally I'm getting it in the CE edition and even then, I would probably pay the extra for it as and when I could afford it. I love the game and, to be perfectly honest, I'm really not too angry about this. Everyone's different that's why it's hard to find a middle ground where everyone's happy. I also get the feeling now the last game in the Mass Effect trilogy is complete, the team are trying anything to keep themselves in a job, which I can respect regardless of morality.

Anyone else thinking that the reason we "let companies get away" with screwing us over, is because we are fostered and indoctrinated into a consumerist society that teaches us that it's much more important to spend money on things than it is to fight for our rights or believe in our principles? I mean I really don't think it's just a coincidence that things are set up to work the way they do today. It's a result of generations of capitalistic fostering, in part at least.

Steampunk Viking:

FelixG:

If this were Facebook, I would like this quote!

Anyways, the fella that wrote this article has hit the nail on the head. If people feel this is worth it, they will shell out for it. Is it ethical? Not particularly. But I'm not going storm on Bioware for this, it's likely EA but then again, this whole "this is evil, this is good!" arguement isn't black and white, but various shades of grey.

Truth is, if enough people won't take a stand against it, it's not going to change, doesn't matter how much people yell about it.

I've seen people claim to boycot the game and/or send polite complaints to EA as a method of standing against this. This, in my opinion, is a positive in their favour. Piracy is not.

I see why piracy is seen as a good stand against these companies - let me explain why it's not.

EA Before Piracy - This was developed after the game was complete, and therefore that's why we're charging!
EA After Piracy - People are pirating the game and therefore we must charge for this DLC to make up the money!

Plus, since DLC is much, much harder to pirate, and let's say piracy did work, you'd be getting the game free (albeit illegally) and then download the DLC after it's made free. You're now the bad guy and are damaging the industry.

Yay, hypocracy is fun!

Personally I'm getting it in the CE edition and even then, I would probably pay the extra for it as and when I could afford it. I love the game and, to be perfectly honest, I'm really not too angry about this. Everyone's different that's why it's hard to find a middle ground where everyone's happy. I also get the feeling now the last game in the Mass Effect trilogy is complete, the team are trying anything to keep themselves in a job, which I can respect regardless of morality.

DlC is much harder to pirate..? This is news to me... :S

EA at any time: Bastards.

"I've seen people claim to boycot the game and/or send polite complaints to EA as a method of standing against this. This, in my opinion, is a positive in their favour."

Wow, I'm sure a handful of people boycotting their game makes a huge difference when it's going to sell in millions of copies!

Damn, double post. Sorry.

Dexter111:

Zeel:
Basically the article was a big "We pardon you EA because we know not what we do" type of thing.

No, it really wasn't xD

Hal10k:
God, I love these threads. It's gotten to the point where I've started to recognize distinct character arcs. Dexter111, I'm pretty sure you fall under the Messianic archetype, though I'm not sure for what intent it's being used.

I'd rather like to see myself as a regular person argueing my opinion with others, for instance I was perfectly fine (and saw the need) for major publishers to combat "Used games" and argued towards that point quite often in the different threads. Right now I don't know anymore, I still see the need for GameStop to go away but I don't know which is the bigger of two evils if they'll start charging you extra money to get the full game at Release...

Here's the fun part, once the competition of used games goes away, there's no competition. There's no longer a reason for them to lower a prices, in fact, there's all the more reason for them to raise the price because you have no alternative. You buy it at $60, $70, $80, maybe even $100 (US) or you don't buy it at all. Sure, online passes may go away, but DLC sure wont. Why would it? People will, apparently, gleefully shell out another $10 for add-on content that was obviously hacked out of the disc release.

You wanna see real evil rear its head? Get rid of Gamestop, Amazon, Ebay, FYE, Bestbuy, and anyone else who sells used games. Then we can all watch the game industry die together as prices skyrocket in a market with zero regulation or market competition. Oh, and I hope you plan to buy every game you ever want on launch or within 3 months of it, cause they sure aren't gonna keep printing copies indefinitely. God help you if you want to get a game that was made a year ago and you happened to miss out on; you'll be dropping $200+ for a brand new copy someone hoarded away just for such an occasion. Go ahead and check Amazon or Ebay for factory sealed copies of Link to the Past or Mario RPG. That's the world you want.

As an owner of mid-sized company in the landscape industry, I can agree with this article.

When I quote for a basic property maintenance contract for a basic residential property, I quote for spring cleanup (various gardening, establishing bed/walkway edges, etc) separately from the summer maintenance package. Same with other various services like aerating, fertilizing, plantings, etc.

Now, I've had many would-be and current customers complain about the separate packages and want an "all-encompassing" quote to cover everything. A few years ago I would oblige, but then halfway through the year they'd want me some mulch put in their gardens, and I would send them a quote for it, and they'd get angry. "I thought everything was included in the quote" they say. Well for the average half-acre property it costs me a grand to mulch the gardens. Do you think I want to go a grand under just to keep the customer happy? I'd love to, but no, I can't afford to do that.

Basically, what I'm saying, is everything in life costs something. I used to quote everything for a year, be under most competitor's pricing, but I wasn't making enough to expand my company. Only when I went for "package quoting" did I start being able to gather more contracts and expand.

Now you might say that EA is a multi-million dollar company, they can afford to lower game prices, throw in free DLC, make super enjoyable 10/10 games, etc etc. If a company isn't growing, its receding. With the every-changing economy, increasing prices on basically everything, its hard to maintain current practices for selling a product. The modern response for this, for videogame publishers, is DLC.

If you want a quality game, expect to pay for it. I see this problem in my generation everyday, people always complaining about paying for things they think should be free, but everyone wants money, everyone has to make a living.

I hope this post wasn't too controversial...

ChocoCake:
As an owner of mid-sized company in the landscape industry, I can agree with this article.

When I quote for a basic property maintenance contract for a basic residential property, I quote for spring cleanup (various gardening, establishing bed/walkway edges, etc) separately from the summer maintenance package. Same with other various services like aerating, fertilizing, plantings, etc.

Now, I've had many would-be and current customers complain about the separate packages and want an "all-encompassing" quote to cover everything. A few years ago I would oblige, but then halfway through the year they'd want me some mulch put in their gardens, and I would send them a quote for it, and they'd get angry. "I thought everything was included in the quote" they say. Well for the average half-acre property it costs me a grand to mulch the gardens. Do you think I want to go a grand under just to keep the customer happy? I'd love to, but no, I can't afford to do that.

Basically, what I'm saying, is everything in life costs something. I used to quote everything for a year, be under most competitor's pricing, but I wasn't making enough to expand my company. Only when I went for "package quoting" did I start being able to gather more contracts and expand.

Now you might say that EA is a multi-million dollar company, they can afford to lower game prices, throw in free DLC, make super enjoyable 10/10 games, etc etc. If a company isn't growing, its receding. With the every-changing economy, increasing prices on basically everything, its hard to maintain current practices for selling a product. The modern response for this, for videogame publishers, is DLC.

If you want a quality game, expect to pay for it. I see this problem in my generation everyday, people always complaining about paying for things they think should be free, but everyone wants money, everyone has to make a living.

I hope this post wasn't too controversial...

No, it's not controversial, it's absolutely true. In today's world no growth or too little growth is basically death. Stating that fact shouldn't be controversial :D

Still though, there's a difference between making enough money to expand and trying to make as much money as possible at any cost. If we forced EA to "afford" to give us the 10 dollar content by making sure they just don't sell enough otherwise, they wouldn't afford not to.

Loving this. I don't even need to make any new statements to respond to this one. Thanks, this makes my job much easier.

Acrisius:

Wow, I'm sure a handful of people boycotting their game makes a huge difference when it's going to sell in millions of copies!

Steampunk Viking:

Yuuuup. That's all I have to say on that.

As it happens, as much DLC is now linked specifically to your online accounts and only available from certain places, it won't be long before pirating will be nigh on impossible. Piracy is only giving these companies far more firepower to restrict us. I give you EA and Ubisoft, thank you, I will now exit stage left.

You can kick and scream about it all you like, people will pay for something if they think it's worth it and everyone has different thresholds. People don't feel the same way as you so now you're calling us "consumerist pigs" more or less. Yeah, knee jerk reactions, this will definitely be taken seriously by the people laying on a bed of money whilst having sex by their two Russian brides. Yup, definitely.

This is my point, the other side isn't listening, so try a different method. Trial and error has become a fundamental learning point for the Human race, why haven't you guys grasped this?

Here's the thing. None of you have any proof that the DLC was ripped off of the game and resold as DLC nothing, you don't have the disc, you don't know anyone who works at Bioware period.

IN FACT. Bioware probally honestly thinks that "Hey now that we're done from the game we should work on the dlc that the collectors edition players are supposed to get. You wanna know what would be cool? If we went back to the protheans and allowed one to be a team member players will think it's pretty cool!'

For those who pay attention to the mass effect story in the span of both games the protheans go from the "god like beings who made everything possible" into "The Reapers' Bitch". No they aren't that important anymore I'm sorry they aren't. Also for those of you who watch, play, read sci fi there are thousands of ways races who were long since presumed "dead" have one person of said race alive through methods of cryo freezing, just plain hiding, trapped in another dimension, etc.

And you wanna know what else? This character is going to have NO insight into what the protheans were like and most likely isn't going to offer anything we didn't already know about them since he's going to have amnesia, was never taught it, was frozen, etc. Just cause a certain being is of a certain race doesn't mean they know anything about them.

Also if you don't like it maybe instead of throwing giant hissy fits wait until it comes out be RESPONSIBLE CONSUMERS and maybe confirm any of your allegations were right

Steampunk Viking:
As it happens, as much DLC is now linked specifically to your online accounts and only available from certain places, it won't be long before pirating will be nigh on impossible. Piracy is only giving these companies far more firepower to restrict us. I give you EA and Ubisoft, thank you, I will now exit stage left.

Not really, on PC pirating a popular game will always be easy unless they start sending PC inspectors to every house with an internet connection. Historicaly pirating a new popular game has never been as easy as it is today.

As for the article, decent piece, I will be in the TotalBisquit camp not knowing what happened with Shepard till I play the game at a friend's house i guess, not because dishing $70 bucks is too much for that game, but because I dont like the buinsess practices of the current Bioware. Don't even feel the need for that game, too much stuff to do, too many good games to play that i already have bought.

Kahunaburger:

Zen Toombs:
Other than Dragon Age 2 and possibly Dragon Age 3, seeing as I only recently started DA:O and would like to complete the series.

A) DA:Awakening
B) Baldur's Gate Series
C) Witcher Series
D) DA:O again

I would argue that Neverwinter Nights is closer to DA:O than BG or the Witcher. All are good RPGs though.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here