EA/Biowares Exploitative Business Practices Made it to Forbes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Acrisius:
Anyone else thinking that the reason we "let companies get away" with screwing us over, is because we are fostered and indoctrinated into a consumerist society that teaches us that it's much more important to spend money on things than it is to fight for our rights or believe in our principles? I mean I really don't think it's just a coincidence that things are set up to work the way they do today. It's a result of generations of capitalistic fostering, in part at least.

I would argue that our lives are so easy, that people aren't used to making really tough choices. This shouldn't be a tough choice. It should be easy to say "I don't feel like I am getting my money's worth" and walk away entirely. Instead, they complain and complain, but still buy it because it seems no one has the concept of "just going without". Or, if they opt not to buy it, they pirate it because "I still want it, just not for what they're asking". Which, really, should never enter into anyone's mind. I don't want a reshash of the piracy/theft debate, because it isn't important. The point is that taking something without paying for it is not right. It doesn't matter how "wrong" they are to charge what they want for their product, walking away and simply not using their product should be your first option, not piracy. But our society is too easy, too many people simply cannot fathom not having the things they want, it seems.

Aris Khandr:

Acrisius:
Anyone else thinking that the reason we "let companies get away" with screwing us over, is because we are fostered and indoctrinated into a consumerist society that teaches us that it's much more important to spend money on things than it is to fight for our rights or believe in our principles? I mean I really don't think it's just a coincidence that things are set up to work the way they do today. It's a result of generations of capitalistic fostering, in part at least.

I would argue that our lives are so easy, that people aren't used to making really tough choices. This shouldn't be a tough choice. It should be easy to say "I don't feel like I am getting my money's worth" and walk away entirely. Instead, they complain and complain, but still buy it because it seems no one has the concept of "just going without". Or, if they opt not to buy it, they pirate it because "I still want it, just not for what they're asking". Which, really, should never enter into anyone's mind. I don't want a reshash of the piracy/theft debate, because it isn't important. The point is that taking something without paying for it is not right. It doesn't matter how "wrong" they are to charge what they want for their product, walking away and simply not using their product should be your first option, not piracy. But our society is too easy, too many people simply cannot fathom not having the things they want, it seems.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think what you're saying is just a bit too easy. And it dumbs down the consumer and shifts all blame from the corporation...

Why are we talking about companies like they are mindless entities operating on sheer instinct? They're run by people. If consumers are so lazy and stupid, which I totally agree that they are to SOME extent, why are they still complaining? Why is it that the only way for people to change is if someone forces them and gives them no other choice? Why is it that some companies seem to think that treating your customers with respect and taking pride in their work is synonymous with losing money = insanity? Why try desperately to push profits to 100%, using whatever means they can get away with? What's wrong with settling for 95%?

It's like the reason people are rushing to pump oil from the north pole. When we know the oil is gonna run out and that we're inevitably going to have to move to other sources of energy, why stick to the short term solution and completely destroy one of the few untouched places on the planet forever?

I honestly think that this has to do with the capitalistic mindset. Capitalism is infamous for short-term solutions. Just look at the crises that line up after one another. Solve one, create one. Workers too expensive? Dump their salaries and fuck up their unions. Oh, now people can't afford to buy products to a satisfying degree? Give them credit cards! Oh, it turns out people can't pay their debts and now companies are going bankrupt? Bail them out!

And it's that kind of short-term thinking that runs the world. EA and the other clowns don't give a shit about keeping customers happy, they're gonna keep squeezing them until there's nothing left to squeeze, because making money NOW NOW NOW, TODAY, TOMORROW, that's what matters.

I hate the concept of day one DLC but some of the anger about this being IMPORANT DLC is a little unjustified. I mean, remember how cool the concept of a Geth party member was (it was to me at least). They were a big part of the plot in ME1 and surely it would be of big significance that one would join your part in ME2. In the end it revealed some interesting bits of lore, and some funny interactions but that was just about it. In fact when you think about it, NONE of the party members are in any way crucial to the plot. They're designed to be interchangeable so that you can bring whoever you want along for whatever mission. So I mean, if you just calm down a bit you'd realize that a P******n party member is no big deal.

Day 1 DLC that's not cosmetic and requires a purchase though, that's something I'm still totally against. Obviously it's something worked on while the game was in development, or at least before the game was released, for the purpose of being sold in ADDITION to the game and that's just wrong, but I'm just saying it's not as big a chunk that's being cut out as it is made out to be.

Acrisius:
EA and the other clowns don't give a shit about keeping customers happy, they're gonna keep squeezing them until there's nothing left to squeeze, because making money NOW NOW NOW, TODAY, TOMORROW, that's what matters.

+1

The issue with EA isn't that they want to make money - so does every game company. The issue is that their business model is terrible for establishing loyal consumer bases and making games people actually want to play.

Take DA2 - the only time it did well from a sales perspective was before the word of mouth got out.

The result was absolutely massive backlash against Bioware, which likely hurt sales on completely different games. So they didn't only lose loyalty, they lost money.

Kahunaburger:

Acrisius:
EA and the other clowns don't give a shit about keeping customers happy, they're gonna keep squeezing them until there's nothing left to squeeze, because making money NOW NOW NOW, TODAY, TOMORROW, that's what matters.

+1

The issue with EA isn't that they want to make money - so does every game company. The issue is that their business model is terrible for establishing loyal consumer bases and making games people actually want to play.

Take DA2 - the only time it did well from a sales perspective was before the word of mouth got out.

The result was absolutely massive backlash against Bioware, which likely hurt sales on completely different games. So they didn't only lose loyalty, they lost money.

Amen brother. You're absolutely right. And like you said, who knows what other losses they've had/will have.

I'm starting to wonder if this new gaming practice shift is related to nostalgia goggles at all or that kind of stubborn resistance to change. There is the concept of this moral argument that rest on shaky grounds and the idea of economics but there also seems to be a thread of "games were better back then" that rests in it as if only the practices that people used back when are correct. Perhaps they can be linked, perhaps a central thread permeates all of gaming?

Oh and I like what the author says and I'd talk more about my opinions on this issue but I'd rather eat a bowl of nails then get into that flame war.

Kahunaburger:

This graph shows EXACTLY how my feelings towards DA2 progressed over time! At first I was like "awesome!!!" then it slowly declined into "Fuck this shit".

Maybe I should read Forbes more. I didn't think they covered stuff like this. But yeah, this kind of thing warrants a boycott, if you ask me.

I suppose that buying used and then buying DLC later only makes it worse. I wonder if simply buying used games from companies you don't like, without buying DLC, would be a decent alternative.

While I have to agree with this article, I feel I should add my own thought to the issue. I Honestly don't care that Bioware is releasing day one DLC, as someone who actually understands what it's like to work on a game, I get that there is a small bit of downtime in between when a game is 'finished' and when it is released. This time is normally taken up by playtesters and couple of last minute fixes, but the vast majority of the game, which by proxy means a large portion of the staff, aren't working on a game. Some companies might get the team to start working on a new product, but instead Bioware has decided to add a little extra to the game. and people are bitching because they don't feel like doing it for free. As the article said, I love this game $70 worth (Actually I love it $90 worth, pre-order collector's edition, you know), and I am more than willing to pay a premium for a quality experience

So in closing, thank you Bioware, for taking the time add a little something to your game. If I weren't already getting it with my collector's edition, I would certainly be picking this adventure up, because other than that little rough patch we had with Dragon Age 2, you have yet to lead me wrong, and I am more than happy to support your efforts to supply my laptop with quality gaming experiences.

Kahunaburger:

Acrisius:

+1

The fault with your logic is that DA2 was rushed out the door to maximize profit from interest generated by DA:0.

ME3 has been delayed so they could make the game better.

The only problem I have with this DLC is that Bioware's explanation is an insult to my intelligence. There are so many holes in it they aren't worth talking about.

Just charge me $70 for the damn game and I would have been fine with that. Or charge $10 for the DLC and say nothing. Just don't assume we (gamers) are idiots and are going to believe any BS you try to spoon feed us.

McMullen:
I suppose that buying used and then buying DLC later only makes it worse. I wonder if simply buying used games from companies you don't like, without buying DLC, would be a decent alternative.

Thats what I am planning on doing, just have to wait a month for the price to drop a bit.

lokicdn:

The fault with your logic is that DA2 was rushed out the door to maximize profit from interest generated by DA:0.

The only problem I have with this DLC is that Bioware's explanation is an insult to my intelligence. There are so many holes in it they aren't worth talking about.

Just charge me $70 for the damn game and I would have been fine with that. Or charge $10 for the DLC and say nothing. Just don't assume we (gamers) are idiots and are going to believe any BS you try to spoon feed us.

I think the various tricks EA has been pulling with Bioware games, whether they involve rushing them out the door or adding launch-day DLC, are the result of a systemic flaw in EA's philosophy as a business. They don't appear to realize why Bioware's reputation as a good developer is more useful to them in the long run than things like wringing a few extra dollars out of some of the people who purchase a particular game.

Valanthe:
While I have to agree with this article, I feel I should add my own thought to the issue. I Honestly don't care that Bioware is releasing day one DLC, as someone who actually understands what it's like to work on a game, I get that there is a small bit of downtime in between when a game is 'finished' and when it is released. This time is normally taken up by playtesters and couple of last minute fixes, but the vast majority of the game, which by proxy means a large portion of the staff, aren't working on a game. Some companies might get the team to start working on a new product, but instead Bioware has decided to add a little extra to the game. and people are bitching because they don't feel like doing it for free. As the article said, I love this game $70 worth (Actually I love it $90 worth, pre-order collector's edition, you know), and I am more than willing to pay a premium for a quality experience

So in closing, thank you Bioware, for taking the time add a little something to your game. If I weren't already getting it with my collector's edition, I would certainly be picking this adventure up, because other than that little rough patch we had with Dragon Age 2, you have yet to lead me wrong, and I am more than happy to support your efforts to supply my laptop with quality gaming experiences.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Prothean was worked on by another group, separate from the Mass Effect 3 team.

Acrisius:
No, it's not controversial, it's absolutely true. In today's world no growth or too little growth is basically death. Stating that fact shouldn't be controversial :D

Still though, there's a difference between making enough money to expand and trying to make as much money as possible at any cost. If we forced EA to "afford" to give us the 10 dollar content by making sure they just don't sell enough otherwise, they wouldn't afford not to.

It's actually worse than that, nowadays there's even backlash on the stock market even if you make a big profit but don't make as much profit as some analysts apparently expected you to make e.g.:
http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2012/01/23/Analysts-Put-Google-in-the-Penalty-Box.aspx

Google's (GOOG) share price nosedived on Friday after the search giant announced disappointing fourth-quarter profits and revenues late on Thursday. Analysts had been projecting EPS of $10.50 a share; Google came it at $9.50. Ouch. But the 8 percent plunge in the stock's price - an immediate and understandable response on the part of investors who have come to count on Google to deliver growth in a world in which that is becoming increasingly scarce - may not be an end to the matter.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/united-states/111018/apples-profit-high-below-wall-streets-high-expec

Sales for Apple products ranging from their iPods and Mac computers grew since last year, with iPads seeing the largest sale growth of 166 percent.
Despite the company's success, the numbers released by Apple was not enough to satisfy Wall Street's expectation, with shares dropping roughly 6 percent. Analysts surveyed by Bloomberg predicted Apple would sell 20 million iPhones, compared to the reported 17.07 million.

How fucked up is that?

lokicdn:

It was actually delayed because it had to have a Multiplayer mode and they needed time to make one.

Dansen:

Valanthe:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Prothean was worked on by another group, separate from the Mass Effect 3 team.

I'm not certain, if that's true, then my only response is, "What the F**K are you people complaining about?!"

I will look into this, I know they had a seperate team do the multiplayer, so I don't know why it didn't occur to me that might be the case for the DLC.

*edit* found this article on the site, it seems to imply it was the same team as they talk about the downtime I mentioned in my original post.

I'll agree to that. I don't think EA understands the value of customer loyalty at all.

Edited for grammer

Dexter111:

Acrisius:
No, it's not controversial, it's absolutely true. In today's world no growth or too little growth is basically death. Stating that fact shouldn't be controversial :D

Still though, there's a difference between making enough money to expand and trying to make as much money as possible at any cost. If we forced EA to "afford" to give us the 10 dollar content by making sure they just don't sell enough otherwise, they wouldn't afford not to.

It's actually worse than that, nowadays there's even backlash on the stock market even if you make a big profit but don't make as much profit as some analysts apparently expected you to make e.g.:
http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2012/01/23/Analysts-Put-Google-in-the-Penalty-Box.aspx

Google's (GOOG) share price nosedived on Friday after the search giant announced disappointing fourth-quarter profits and revenues late on Thursday. Analysts had been projecting EPS of $10.50 a share; Google came it at $9.50. Ouch. But the 8 percent plunge in the stock's price - an immediate and understandable response on the part of investors who have come to count on Google to deliver growth in a world in which that is becoming increasingly scarce - may not be an end to the matter.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/united-states/111018/apples-profit-high-below-wall-streets-high-expec

Sales for Apple products ranging from their iPods and Mac computers grew since last year, with iPads seeing the largest sale growth of 166 percent.
Despite the company's success, the numbers released by Apple was not enough to satisfy Wall Street's expectation, with shares dropping roughly 6 percent. Analysts surveyed by Bloomberg predicted Apple would sell 20 million iPhones, compared to the reported 17.07 million.

How fucked up is that?

lokicdn:

It was actually delayed because it had to have a Multiplayer mode and they needed time to make one.

Man that shit is fucked up indeed bro, I forgot about it. Stock brokers are slimy people, aren't they?! :O

OT : Wow, serious shizzle!! Is it bad that the only way I know Forbes is serious is that it was referenced in Die Hard as such?

I honestly agree we did this to ourselves. The whole reason I quit Call of Duty was this whole 10 Dlc packs in a year for $10 each. They never released this many before CoD elite came out and you know they are now so they can make it seem like Elite is a good deal when it's not. I don't want to pay $60 for the game, $80-$100 for the elite or individual map packs, then another $60 for Xbox live. So that's why I sold MW3 and for the new Assassins Creed with it. :D

AugustFall:
He's right. Vote with your wallets. If it's not worth the price to you then don't buy it. Games are a luxury not a necessity.

ding ding ding, we have a winner!! :D

seirusly though, if its pissing you off this much don't buy it. since, ya know, it's very easy to not buy something, hell the Derpy Hooves edit is more rage worthy then this

Dexter111:

Zeel:
This is shifting of the blame at its finest.

You have a serious anger management issue xD

Also I don't think you got the gist of the article, he doesn't blame the people "trying to fight against it", but the ones giving in to it, e.g. every single one of the people that know they are getting screwed over and exploited (even if it's just deep down) but still buy it either because "it's Mass Effect 111!!1!!" or because they are good enough at rationalizing away that there is an actual problem (or take the help offered by Bioware e.g. "but, it's for the fans" or whatever their latest PR is to rationalize it away).
Then he counts himself amongst one of those people, saying that it isn't a big enough issue for him to not get the game, but respects the people that do just that.

Your trap was successful! Zeel has been suspended, nicely done, this thread can end now as far as I'm concerned, mission accomplished guys.

Personally I don't think this is that big of a deal but I totally see why some people do, for those who feel they can't play the game because of it I'm impressed with your willpower.

Dexter111:

lokicdn:

The multiplayer was developed by a separate division of Bioware that previously had nothing to do with the singleplayer. Unless you are privy to information on both departments development timelines, saying the multiplayer caused the delay is just speculation on your part.

People need to put on their big boy/girl panties and deal with it. Day-1 DLC, is it REALLY THAT BIG Of A DEAL? The answer to that is NO. Seriously, you play a whole series, and then because of something like this you decide at the last minute that you won't buy it anymore? Seriously? Yes, EA sucks, most everyone agrees with this. However, I will call people who call themselves "Fans" of a franchise out if they refuse to buy something because of something that in the grand scheme of things is pretty minor. If you don't want to buy it, fine. But don't continually whine about it and act all high and mighty, and superior just because of it. The rest of us rational people don't care, and if we were planning to buy the game in the beginning, STILL plan on buying the game.

I swear to god, so many gamers act like 10 year olds over EVERYTHING. Christ.

Kahunaburger:
I think the various tricks EA has been pulling with Bioware games, whether they involve rushing them out the door or adding launch-day DLC, are the result of a systemic flaw in EA's philosophy as a business. They don't appear to realize why Bioware's reputation as a good developer is more useful to them in the long run than things like wringing a few extra dollars out of some of the people who purchase a particular game.

The relationship is in a relatively early stage though. Who's to say their endgame isn't to do both: wring the maximum amount of money out of consumers while doing their best to maintain Bioware's reputation for quality games?

Of course their strategy could be simply to run Bioware into the ground, then buy whatever studio comes up to replace them and run them into the ground too. But I'd be surprised if that was the case - EA may be a lot of things, but they're not stupid. Bioware is a name with a truckload of brand equity, it's unlikely they're just going to throw it away.

Dexter111:

You're talking about single-day drops though. The trend on a stock like Google or Apple will still be upwards. But the basic point is sound: companies aren't just under pressure to make a profit each year, they're under pressure to make bigger profits every year.

The thing this Forbes author doesn't include into the equation is the lack of option regarding a specific product; no one else is producing Mass Effect 3 but Bioware, and the price they put on the game is more or less final, or else you can leave it. You could always buy a competitor's product, but in the end, if you don't buy ME3, you won't get ME3, and if you love it, but despise the way they are presenting the offer, you are shit out of luck.

But he is quite correct on regards to the majority of gamers, who in fact are children with little to no care about the industry as a whole and will not hesitate to purchase the game with their parent's money. But is it futile to protest, to boycott? If we carry on this attitude, regardless of the odds, we will NEVER stop world hunger, we will NEVER end all of the wars and attain world peace, and we will NEVER attain a higher purpose as a species other than breeding. But look at me going all dramatic over something as much as a squabble over a video game...

Personally I will not buy ME3, and that is because I do not condone EA's current market practice, but also because simply cannot afford 60$ games, and barely 30$; the same value I hold against CoD and Acivision's business idea.

His entire article was discredited after he said he was only supporting TB in theory or whatever.

Dude's way too wishwashy for me to consider his opinion in having merit.

Anyway, I will be buying the ME3 Collector's Edition used. I won't have to pay EA a dime and I'll still get everything but the multiplayer. And they say you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Good article overall. The author is really just reiterating ideas I have heard one hundred times already though. I am not entirely sure I buy his argument for why he is buying the DLC, despite his reservations.

Double A:
His entire article was discredited after he said he was only supporting TB in theory or whatever.

Anyway, I will be buying the ME3 Collector's Edition used. I won't have to pay EA a dime and I'll still get everything but the multiplayer. And they say you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I am pretty damn sure the digital stuff that comes with CE are just pieces of paper with codes on them. Buying a CE used would be the same as buying SE used... just with a different case.

rudolphna:
People need to put on their big boy/girl panties and deal with it. Day-1 DLC, is it REALLY THAT BIG Of A DEAL? The answer to that is NO. Seriously, you play a whole series, and then because of something like this you decide at the last minute that you won't buy it anymore? Seriously? Yes, EA sucks, most everyone agrees with this. However, I will call people who call themselves "Fans" of a franchise out if they refuse to buy something because of something that in the grand scheme of things is pretty minor. If you don't want to buy it, fine. But don't continually whine about it and act all high and mighty, and superior just because of it. The rest of us rational people don't care, and if we were planning to buy the game in the beginning, STILL plan on buying the game.

I swear to god, so many gamers act like 10 year olds over EVERYTHING. Christ.

Day 1 DLC is hardly the only or even main complaint people have against EA. EA has a horrible customer service departement, often overpriced games and are rushing their developers so that the quality of the games suffers thanks to time constraints. In the case of ME3 for example the announcement to make it Origin only has been the final nail in the coffin for many, including me.

lokicdn:

Kahunaburger:

Acrisius:

+1

Add on those extra 3 months and it's still only a little over 2 years of dev time. Personally I'm not getting ME3 at all. After ME2, DA2 and the SWTOR beta I now feel no need to ever buy a Bioware game again. I played their games for the writing and their writing has been so below average recently I don't need them.

I my opinion, it's pretty pathetic. EA knows that people really enjoy Mass Effect, so they decide to take advantage of people. Yes - people could simply choose not to buy it, but I still consider it to be a selfish money grab. Companies (like EA) want money - and that makes sense. But it still seems immoral; they're simply going too far.

Sober Thal:
I can understand why these policies can upset people. I can understand that people don't like them. But still...

Link your STEAM, 360, and PSN accounts in your Escapist profile before you say you won't be buying a game. It makes it more believable. Can Origin accounts be linked like the others yet? Probably not... Don't worry, your secret is safe, for now ; )

I don't have PSN or XBL accounts, so am I in the clear?

Archer666:
Companies love money. DLC generates money because people buy it. People can QQ about it all they want, but at the end of the day a lot of people will buy the DLC so it'll turn a profit. Its crap that it happens, but that's life. Money talks.

Thank goodness someone said it. They won't stop this shit until we stop buying it, and lets face it, everyone who defends this outnumbers those who recognize its a problem.

Mad World:
I my opinion, it's pretty pathetic. EA knows that people really enjoy Mass Effect, so they decide to take advantage of people. Yes - people could simply choose not to buy it, but I still consider it to be a selfish money grab. Companies (like EA) want money - and that makes sense. But it still seems immoral; they're simply going too far.

How is completely optional, totally unnecessary, non-plot critical bonus content going too far?

You act like they cut out the ending of the game and are selling it to you.

Name ONE Bioware DLC that was NEEDED to get a FULL game? I will tell you now you wont be able too, because It hasn't been made.

contrary to the Illuminati level conspiracy people try to make EA out to be..... they aren't.

Double A:

From what I have heard the digital items like the dog will have to be redeemed through a single use code that is included in the CE. I could be wrong though and it could be like the PC version of Arkham City with Catwoman being included on the disc.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked