Best Bargin-bin games you've played.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Black for PS2. Great game man, great game.

Easy- maybe not my very favourite game, but close, and certainly the vessel I took into my favourite universe. I found a copy of Persona 3 for about $7.00- bought it on a whim.

Soon afterwards, I realised that there was a portable remake, and you can play as a female MC- I *needed* that. Played it twice, in fact. Love me some Minako.

Then came FES, and finally Persona 4, probably my Game Of The Always And Ever.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow Of Chernobyl

I'd seen the game a lot previously but always stopped myself from buying it at the last moment because I wasn't sure it'd be any good despite thinking it looked cool, one day I just bought it on a whim and have been a massive fan of the series ever since.

Mass Effect 1 was on my list as soon as i got an 360,
and for € 12,50 it was an awesome bargain bin.

And after having it signed by Lance Henriksen and Marina Sirtis, it's become invaluable.
To me that is^^

Every Humble Bundle save the latest 2 and the first for about 5 cents.

Alot of the Games aren't any good, but you do get stuff like Super Meat Boy, Braid, And yet it moves and a few others.

I think I just won.

For the people that find it difficult to check my next post:

I then buy copies for friends and family for real money.

yogibbear:

Monoochrom:

Alot of the Games aren't any good, but you do get stuff like Super Meat Boy, Braid, And yet it moves and a few others.

I think I just won.

No you just declared that you are a douche. You do realise you're meant to be supporting charity?

Good job getting yourself reported buddy.

The best part is, I always buy for 1 cent for myself to try them out and then buy copies for my friends for real money, so you aren't even right xD hope it was worth it.

Monoochrom:

yogibbear:

Monoochrom:

I think I just won.

No you just declared that you are a douche. You do realise you're meant to be supporting charity?

The best part is, I always buy for 1 cent for myself to try them out and then buy copies for my friends for real money, so you aren't even right xD hope it was worth it.

Well, you actually sounded like a douche buying the games for just a cent...

OT:

Best game I ever got from the bargain bin was probably the Titan Quest Gold Edition - though I can't remember how much I payed for it.

bakan:

Monoochrom:

yogibbear:

And that somehow makes the code of conduct disappear? I could buy hundreds of copies for a cent each and then sell them on ebay afterwards, still doesn't make him calling me a douche ok.

I was just being honest, I always only pay 1 cent for myself, why on earth would I want to pay more then that for a bunch of games I have never played? Just because of charity? If I just want to give to charity, I'll give to charity, I don't need the humble bundle for that, but if I'm buying a game I'm going to try and get it as cheap as possible until it has proven to be worth something to me. And considering most of the Humble Bundles tend to consist of horrible games bundled with the odd good indy game, thats about the only sensible thing to do.

targren:

MercurySteam:
$130 for two new games is fucking sweet.

Are you in Australia or NZ, by any chance? Because if you're in the US, I think I have a bridge you might be interested in buying. ;)

Well my profile does say Australia. I know that In America games go for around $60, but here in Aus games start around at least $100 for new releases. And that's with the dollar at/above parody.

Also I live in Sydney, and we already have our own bridge. Thanks for the offer, though.

Sacrifice is my favorite game of all time (hence my avatar), and not only did I get it in a bargain bin, I also only picked it up because it came packaged with Messiah, which was what I was really after. Ten bucks for both games, and I never got Messiah to work (ever). A little time went by and I decided to install the OTHER game I got with it, and I have never had a computer since that didn't have it installed, and a month has not gone by in ten years that I haven't sat down to play at least a couple levels.

Cobalt Cobalt:
Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifers Call

This is off-topic, but is Lucifer's Call the same thing as Nocturne in the U.S.? I heard someone describe the plot once and it sounded like the same game, but I am a huge SMT fan and if this is a game that was localized that I somehow missed... sign me up!

RJ 17:
We've all been there, walking through a game store or a Wal-Mart or something and you find a big bin of games all for $10 or less (surely there is some equivalent of this for non-US Escapists, just games that they're selling for dirt-cheap). You browse around the selection and find a game that mildly piques your interest. Price tag only says $5 so you figure why the hell not.

Yes, I have been there... in the past. However, last few years I haven't bought a single game from the bargain bin and I suspect I will never again. Why? One word: Steam. Yes, with new releases Steam tends to be more expensive. But once games get a (temporarily) price drop, no local store can ever hope to match it. I have bought a whole collection of games for less than 10 bucks on Steam. Also, there is another issue with Indie games not being released in game stores, so digital platforms are the only way to acquire those games.

Wow, I'm surprised - though happy - to see tht this thread actually made it to a second page! :P

TheRussian:
Star Wars Battlefront 2 for about $3.
I think I got about $300 worth of fun out of that game.
-fond memories-
You know what? I'm going to re-install it and play it some more!

I also picked up BF2 for pretty cheap and really had a LOT of fun with it. Think my favorite faction is the Droids because, when all else fails, you can bust out a Droideka (or whatever) and roll your way to victory. :P

Tanis:
Picked up both Nightshade and Shinobi for the PS2 for 10USD together.
Local game story was trying to get rid of a lot of stuff.

Both games are balls to the walls hard, and a LOT of fun.

Shinobi...wow, that game takes me back. It was hard as hell and - come to think of it - I don't think I ever beat the main boss. You could only hit him with a fully-charge tate or whatever. Still had a lot of fun with it though.

PotluckBrigand:

Cobalt Cobalt:
Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifers Call

This is off-topic, but is Lucifer's Call the same thing as Nocturne in the U.S.? I heard someone describe the plot once and it sounded like the same game, but I am a huge SMT fan and if this is a game that was localized that I somehow missed... sign me up!

http://www.gamestats.com/objects/489/489314/

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Also known as: True Advent of the Goddess: Nocturne, Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne, Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (JPN), Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call (UK)

PS. Tried to play the game, but the UK version has a critical bug halfway through the game that prevents you from completing it. I can't remember the details, but it has happened to me.

[quote="Elementary - Dear Watson" post="9.352217.13957772"]I got The Sabateur from a bargin bin for a tenner, that was one of my favourite games I have played!!/quote]

Thats where i got my copy too. If only more people enjoyed it at full price maybe they would of made a sequel.

Monoochrom:

I think I just won.

And gamers wonder why we have a bad rap. You might as well of just pirated them and then punched an orphan.

Monoochrom:

bakan:

Monoochrom:

And that somehow makes the code of conduct disappear? I could buy hundreds of copies for a cent each and then sell them on ebay afterwards, still doesn't make him calling me a douche ok.

I was just being honest, I always only pay 1 cent for myself, why on earth would I want to pay more then that for a bunch of games I have never played? Just because of charity? If I just want to give to charity, I'll give to charity, I don't need the humble bundle for that, but if I'm buying a game I'm going to try and get it as cheap as possible until it has proven to be worth something to me. And considering most of the Humble Bundles tend to consist of horrible games bundled with the odd good indy game, thats about the only sensible thing to do.

Well alternatively you could decide that you'll simply set the slider all the way to charity and wait to test the quality of the games before sending any money to the devs or the humble bundle people. Though purchasing your way does encourage them to release the odd good indie game as you say. I do a similar thing to you, I pretty much buy them for five bucks or the nearest dollar above the average, the better they are the more I purchase for gifts.

PaganFury:

Monoochrom:

I think I just won.

And gamers wonder why we have a bad rap. You might as well of just pirated them and then punched an orphan.

Was it really that hard for you to read the post that is now directly under the one you quoted?

Also, why would I want to punch an orphan?

@MrGrey

You're right about that, I could do that aswell.

________

I guess I'd better see if I can edit that post, some people seem to have real diffculty looking a inch below it.

Vanquish and Alpha Protocol.

Vanquish is just pure silly fun with rocket knees and Alpha Protocol is just really fun being a massive asshole.

Monoochrom:

PaganFury:

Monoochrom:

I think I just won.

Was it really that hard for you to read the post that is now directly under the one you quoted?

@MrGrey

________

I guess I'd better see if I can edit that post, some people seem to have real diffculty looking a inch below it.

No I seen you backpedal. People didnt like your original post so you went all wishy-washy. You should run for office.

The orphan bit was a joke because of the scrooge like quality of paying a penny for all those games when the money goes to charity.

Matthew94:
I doubt many will beat this.

I bought MGS3 for 5 years ago after hearing it was "fun enough" and seeing 10 seconds of MGS2 VR footage while flicking through a PSM2 DVD years before.

My body was not ready.

I was 11 when I went into my local pc store. I bought a game called Deus Ex for 4.99 that i'd never heard of before from the bargain bin.

It remains one of the best games i have ever played. I'll always have very fond memories of how I came to play it! How little i knew (thought i was just getting a cheap shooter)

Hmm. Dark Sector, I think it was called? Got it for around 20 dollars, if I remember right. Wasn't bad. Had fun throwing the glaive.

I see Rare's Jet Force Gemini in bargain bins for $5. I got my copy of Goldeneye 64 from a Salvation Army for I think $5 (I beat it and hardly touch it because it got old for the CoD fish). I also got Perfect Dark from a garage sale for maybe $2 (haven't touched it, probably never will).
You know, I often feel bad when I buy games from a garage sale (and sometimes when buying used) because I think that it could have been put on sale as kids punishment or something. On the other hand, it could also have been put on sale so the kid can get a few measly bucks for saving up. I have to remember that I'm not involved in their situation, but I still feel the guilt as I practically steal famous games for a few dollars.

Killer7 for 2.

WET for 4.

Both Mass Effects for 10.

Painkiller for 8.

PaganFury:

No I seen you backpedal. People didnt like your original post so you went all wishy-washy. You should run for office.

The orphan bit was a joke because of the scrooge like quality of paying a penny for all those games when the money goes to charity.

People? You and the other guy, who is now suspended I might add, were the only people to comment on it in such a way. I didn't backpedal, I see no problem whatsoever with giving them only a cent, they don't have to give people that option afterall, I just wanted to enjoy the irony of him not only being wrong, but also getting himself suspended in the process. Keep it coming, you might just manage the same thing.

Also, fuck giving money to a charity, I already work for one and thus my pay reflects that, I do enough for charity as is. What about you scrooge, what do you do for charity? Oh, you buy yourself video games? Woooooooooooow, you must be real proud of yourself xD

Not only do I work for a charity, but considering I also buy multiple Humble Bundles at atleast 15€ a pop, I bet I also give them more then you do. But yes, continue to berate me about how evil I am xD just for you I'll be sure to spend not as much as a dollar on the next bundle, you know, because if I'm going to be treated that way, I'm gonna act accordingly. I hope you feel proud about the great service you've done them, you've made sure that they will not be getting the minimum 45€ they otherwise get. Oh and I am entirely serious about this, I'll even send you a PM to remind you about it when the times comes. Good job :)

I remember getting Ribbit King for the PS2 for $5. It's a very cartoony very Japanesy golf game where you put around a frog into various bonuses & traps.
A couple of spliffs and a copy of Ribbit King can keep you and your friends well entertained for a night.

Don't do drugs kids.

The first Prince of Persia I ever bought was Warrior Within for the GC.
I picked it up used for 5€ on a whim and since then have bought every Title of the Series at Release.

Actually a good example of how used games help sell products longterm.

PS: Thought I haven't been enjoying them as much since the "Sands of Time"-Trilogie ended.

PaganFury:

Monoochrom:

PaganFury:

@MrGrey

________

If the developers didn't think it was fair for people to pay in pennies, then they wouldn't have given that option. Shaming others because they didn't pay more than your standard of "fair share" goes against the spirit of the humble indie bundles.

Primal (PS2), $5
Great female lead, great voice acting, strong partner AI, creative single-player, nice level design, good story...all in all, a really nice game.

AM City Watch:
I did this all the time after the release of the 360 brought the price of all original xbox games way down.

I guess the ones that really stand out for me are:
Psychonauts ($12)
Armed and Dangerous ($5)
Phantom Dust ($3)
Rogue Trooper ($5)

Damn good purchases all.

WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU PEOPLE FINDING THESE GAMES?

Here the only "discount" prices are these bins that everything costs 20$. Kingdom Hearts, 10 years old, still 20$.

While, yes, an amazing game - IT ISN'T ON DISCOUNT!

Best bargain bin game huh...

That has to be my Darksiders copy... Got it for 75 sek, and it is awwwwwesome!

Suffice to say, pretty much every bargin game I got was awful. I still got a few good times of dusting Space Raiders off, though.

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. The multiplayer was kind of fail but my friend and I still had fun shooting at each other.

DJ Hero, 20. Play were clearing stock and I was lucky enough to pick it up for a fraction of the price. Pretty fun game.

4RM3D:
Snip

Thanks for the heads up. It's too bad the UK version was broken... I loved that game, murderously difficult as it was.

*cough* Sorry... y'all can have your thread back :D

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked