Mass Effect or Bioshock?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

What series should I get into? Buy the first and second Mass Effect games and wait for the 3rd. Or buy Bioshock 1 and 2 and wait for the third installment? Help Escapists!

I'd personally recommend getting Bioshock 1 only, like I did. I've heard 2 wasn't as good and could be passed up. But I also have ME 1 and 2 and have only played 1. I suppose you can save up the money from Bioshock 2 and wait for a sale of ME 1 (and possibly 2). I assume there might be one around the launch of ME3, alternatively, Steam will have a deal for them at some point (they do a sale in the beginning of the summer, IIRC).

Given that ME3 is about to be released, I would marathon the shit out of the first two games so you can get up to speed.

The Mass Effect series is head and shoulders above the Bioshock series. ME1 and ME2 are both outstanding games, whereas only Bioshock 1 is really worth playing. Bioshock 2 was a big disappointment for many people.

I do recommend playing Bioshock 1 though, it was a pretty good game.

Eh, they're excellent series'. Flip a coin.

Or hey, why not get all of them? The games are old enough that it'll cost you a pittance.

Oh, and bear in mind that the third Bioshock game has no relation to the previous two.

I don't see why this has to be a decision at all. Will your 360 explode if you play more than one game series on it? If that's the case, call Microsoft tech support; it's not supposed to do that.

Here's what you have to ask:
Do I want to play a very large RPG first or do I want to play a quicker FPS first? Both are great games (Note: I never played Bioshock 2 due to hearing it's lack of good) so you just have to decide which to play first.

Depends very much on your tastes - personally I'd go for Mass Effect, but that's because my personal tastes lean very much towards RPGs and I'm not much of a fan of FPS games so for me, Bioshock never held much more than just a visual appeal.

The Bioshock games [yes, you must play the second game - it is very good (just don't compare its story to the first one's)]

ME3 is coming out in a week and the internet will be chock full of spoilers, so unless you are going to give up the internet for a while, I suggest you pick up the Bioshock series first.

To get the full experience of the Bioshock series, you will need:
1. To play the first game
2. Play the second game
3. Read the book Bioshock:Rapture to pull it all together after you finished both games. You could read it first, but it will make a WHOLE lot of sense more after you beat the first two games.

Oh, the third "Bioshock" game (Bioshock:Infinite) has nothing to do with the rest of the series. If you want to get it, go right on ahead. As of now, I'm not sure whether it will be good or not.

Do you like shooters? Then buy Bioshock 2.
Do you like RPGs? Buy Mass Effect.
Do you like Gears of War with some T&A thrown in? Buy Mass Effect 2.
Do you like disappointment and lackluster gameplay? Buy Bioshock.

As a series, Mass Effect is vastly superior. The best standalone game, however, is BioShock IMO. It kind of depends how invested you become in a game.

But I'll go for Mass Effect if I were you. With the third title about to drop, you can have the entire experience in one go, without years worth of intervals.

Fudge, I can't wait for BioShock: Infinite.

In(14 days)b4Zeel

Personally, I would go for Mass Effect, but only because I love story and dialogue. Mass Effect is a great action RPG with some great NPCs on the team. Bioshock is an excellent game, but I'd say it focuses more on horror(YMMV on how effectively) than roleplaying. Really it comes down to isolation vs camaraderie, I guess.

Funny, I am in the same pickle. But for now, I'm just getting the first installment from each. And when I'm finished, I'm moving on the second installments of each. And, hopefully, when I'm done with those, the 3rd of each will be reduced in price.

And yes, my system resembles this... image

tippy2k2:
I don't see why this has to be a decision at all. Will your 360 explode if you play more than one game series on it? If that's the case, call Microsoft tech support; it's not supposed to do that.

Here's what you have to ask:
Do I want to play a very large RPG first or do I want to play a quicker FPS first? Both are great games (Note: I never played Bioshock 2 due to hearing it's lack of good) so you just have to decide which to play first.

uh you just desrcibed wether to play me1 or 2:/. Never played bioshock so my opinion doesn't count but mass effect.

Rakun Man:
Funny, I am in the same pickle. But for now, I'm just getting the first installment from each. And when I'm finished, I'm moving on the second installments of each. And, hopefully, when I'm done with those, the 3rd of each will be reduced in price.

That is genius why didn't I ever think of that I regret getting a decent PC now :(

I own the first two bioshocks and the first two Mass Effects. I'm looking forwad to Bioshock Infinite, I think for me it will be one of the best games this year. On the otherhand, I'm not even going to bother with ME 3: the interesting parts of the story were resolved in the first game, and for me the series has just degenerated into a cliche action blockbuster.

I recommend Mass Effect, if only because the first one is my favorite game evar!
The second one is also pretty good.

With Bioshock I feel pretty much the same way. First game was great, second game was also pretty good but not as good.

They're both very good series' overall though. You can't really make a wrong choice here.

You don't have to buy the first 2 Bioshocks for the 3rd to make sense, OP. They don't really connect with each other in terms of story.

Mass Effect on the other hand, you must buy those if you intend on getting the 3rd. The 3 games' story connect with each other more than any other series, with the character importing and such.

Go for Mass Effect, it has a lot more replayability to it, superior multiplayer, moral choices that actually matter, characters that you actually care about, better and wider variety of alternate endings, etc.

The choice is obvious, at least to me.

Wayneguard:
Given that ME3 is about to be released, I would marathon the shit out of the first two games so you can get up to speed.

That's what I did, I called it my "Ultimate 100% Perfection Paragon Marathon Extreme 2012 Version MCCCXXXVII".

Rakun Man:

No matter in the situation, there is always a relevant XKCD comic...

Mass Effect is probably the better way to go if you wanna dive into a giant trilogy while Bioshock is an amazing single story and currently holds the trophy for my favorite FPS of all time (though I don't really play all that much of the genre)

If you are after a series go for Mass Effect, otherwise just get the first Bioshock and Infinite.

I've played only Mass Effect 1 and Bioshock 1. I thought Bioshock had better gameplay, but it started to drag on, and the hacking is an absolute bitch. Mass Effect probably lasts longer, but I generally wasn't a fan of the gameplay and the story felt... I dunno... eh. I just started a mission toward the end and just stopped entirely. Haven't played it since.

I beat Bioshock within two days of owning, I've owned Mass Effect 1 & 2 and still haven't beated Mass Effect 1 or even installed Mass Effect 2. Take that as you will.

I never played Bioshock 2, but Bioshock 1 was absolutely epic. I mean, best storyline FPS I have ever played as far as I'm aware. Bioshock Infinity looks absolutely stunning, might I add - can't wait.

Mass Effect 1 and 2 are absolutely epic. I mean, best storyline RPG I have ever played as far as I'm aware. Mass Effect 3 looks absolutely stunning, might I add - can't wait.

*Looks at thread title again*
Mass Effect... Bioshock... masss..bi.. ugggh ngghh NHUURRR GHRRRRRN...
*Mindmelt*

I saw go for both since they're pretty dirt cheap by now. Genius move, you've saved a shitton of money.

Um...I would vaguely vote for Mass Effect only because I've sunk more hours into that than Bioshock. Bioshock is still great. 2 is alright, but it screams 'cash-in' so much that it kinda detracts from the overall enjoyment.

BioShock is an immense game, but not that re-playable. Once you know the plot twist, there's no real motivation for re-playability. Mass Effect on the other hand encourages multiple playthroughs, plus the sequel is great and the third is incoming...

I'd say get Mass Effect but don't rule out BioShock entirely. Definitely get that later.

I would say skip the "1"s and go for the "2"s of both series.

Mass Effect 1 and Bioshock 1 may have solid stories, but as far as gameplay and combat goes they're both downright awful. Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 on the other hand are loads of fun, their gameplay is leaps and bounds better then their predecessors.

I personally liked BioShock more than the first two Mass Effects, while they do kick ass. BioShock is a stand alone game with a totally non essential sequel. Mass Effect is a commitment to one huge game in three parts.

Convoy:
What series should I get into? Buy the first and second Mass Effect games and wait for the 3rd. Or buy Bioshock 1 and 2 and wait for the third installment? Help Escapists!

Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 (released on the 6th of March).

One of the best game series I have ever played.

Bioshock 1 was pretty good, and if you get the chance it certainly isn't a bad purchase, but (unless you really, really love survival horrorish shooters) it isn't as good as Mass Effect.

And Bioshock 2 isn't worth getting.

Bioshock Infinite looks kinda cool, though. Like Bioshock, I might pick it up when it hits the $20 mark or so.

On the other hand, I've preordered ME3. So yeah - get Mass Effect.

Definitely bioshock, I'm a sucker for the deco art... Overall the atmosphere and story is much better than Mass Effect could ever achieve, regardless of the flaws (god-damned hacking!!!) it may have had.

Bioshock 2 isn't that bad as people suggest, it just has the same problem all sequels have that it has to be compared to the original. And when the original happens to be so successful, well it's only natural that the sequel is lackluster in comparison. If you go in to Bio-2 without the expectations it's actually not that bad, and I for one even love the multiplayer it has (assuming I can find a match).

octafish:
Do you like shooters? Then buy Bioshock 2.
Do you like RPGs? Buy Mass Effect.
Do you like Gears of War with some T&A thrown in? Buy Mass Effect 2.
Do you like disappointment and lackluster gameplay? Buy Bioshock.

I think you got it mixed up bro. Move the "2" from the first sentence to the last. Also add "Great narrative and awesome atmosphere" to the first one.

Well you can probably pick up both Bioshock games for $20-30 online if you shop around.

And don't listen to all the people saying Bioshock 2 isn't worth playing because it most certainly is. The story may not be as good as the first games but it brought a lot of positive improvements to the series. Plus the multiplayer isn't half bad and a nice addition and from what I've heard the Minerva's Den DLC is on of the better expansions packs out there.

BioShock 2 wasn't...awful, per se. It was a competent shooter - but you were a Big Daddy. Now this would be a good thing..except it wasn't. Because by BioShock 2, the Splicers were now adept Big Daddy-hunters. So it was basically BioShock all over again, and being a lumbering killing machine was completely irrelevant.

All of them are good. Even Bioshock 2, which in my opinion has the better story. People always seem to confuse setting and plot in Bioshock 1. The setting of Rapture, which includes all the backstory from the logs, is epic. The actual plot of the game is you wandering around picking your nose for 2/3rds of the game, a pretty cool twist, then a completely retarded boss fight which mysteriously is never mentioned on forums. Bioshock 2 improves the gameplay without messing anything else up in the process, and has an actual plot. As for Mass Effect, it's fucking Mass Effect, go play it now.

Its not even a debate ME 1-3.

Bioshock is good, but it never was designed to have a sequel. Mass Effect has ALWAYS been made for a trilogy.

Convoy:

Get the ME series, as you'll get so much more bang for your buck gameplay wise and the story / world are just so big, narratively speaking. That being said though, you'll need to blitz the hell out of the games, as the next installment is coming out in a week. I'd recommend a Red Bull iv drip for that.

I'd definitely go for Mass Effect.

I've sunk more hours into ME2 than any other game (172 hours), simply because I'm a sucker for good stories and it has one of the best.

Bioshock was pretty good, but I never understood they hype. I've actually never finished the game because it eventually bored me. That and my PS3 crashed, destroying my save file, and I never bothered to restart from the beginning.

And before anyone asks; yes, I got to the "big plot twist" in Bioshock. Personally though, I saw it coming all along, so it wasn't a big moment for me. The story was above average but I didn't think it was that great.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked