Mass Effect or Bioshock?

Pages PREV 1 2

I'd definitely go for Mass Effect.

I've sunk more hours into ME2 than any other game (172 hours), simply because I'm a sucker for good stories and it has one of the best.

Bioshock was pretty good, but I never understood they hype. I've actually never finished the game because it eventually bored me. That and my PS3 crashed, destroying my save file, and I never bothered to restart from the beginning.

And before anyone asks; yes, I got to the "big plot twist" in Bioshock. Personally though, I saw it coming all along, so it wasn't a big moment for me. The story was above average but I didn't think it was that great.

Bioshock.

Bioshock 1 was good, Bio 2 was good, Bio 3 looks pretty fucking sweet.

Mass Effect 1 was amazing, 2 was fucking garbage, just seriously lazy, 3 don't look that amazing.
I am tempted to say that ME1 alone is better than all of Bioshock but you are talking entire series. And yeah, ME2 dropped the ball in a huge way.

Zack Alklazaris:
Its not even a debate ME 1-3.

Bioshock is good, but it never was designed to have a sequel. Mass Effect has ALWAYS been made for a trilogy.

I think both series' are good. After Bioshock 1, Irrational wanted to see what else they could do (Bioshock Infinite) while Take-Two got 2K Marin/2K China and Digital Extremes to see how much more they get get out of Rapture. Personally, I think Bioshock 1 had a better feel to it but Bioshock 2 was still pretty good. However, I can't wait to see what Irrational is going to do with Bioshock: Infinite.

bioshock 1 and 2 are around 20 bucks each on steam right now. but you could wait for a major sale and get them cheaper when publisher catalogs are on discount.

a warning tough. You may get a lot of troubles to get bioshock one to run on some pcs (games for windows live among other things.) but bioshock 1 is really worth the money.

bioshock 2 on the other hand is a little more polish but the story is kinda lame and you get overpower plasmid halfway through even by going the saving the little sisters route.

about masseffect i have no call as i only played the demo for the first one when it was brand new and found it boring, but you may have to buy the 3 games from origin since you won't be able to use your steam save files on the origin version. Thank EA for that.

Acrisius:

octafish:
Do you like shooters? Then buy Bioshock 2.
Do you like RPGs? Buy Mass Effect.
Do you like Gears of War with some T&A thrown in? Buy Mass Effect 2.
Do you like disappointment and lackluster gameplay? Buy Bioshock.

I think you got it mixed up bro. Move the "2" from the first sentence to the last. Also add "Great narrative and awesome atmosphere" to the first one.

No. I meant exactly what I said. Bioshock is an appalling shooter with lackluster gameplay and a disappointing story, it is pretty though. As a shooter Bioshock 2 is a much better game to play and is just as pretty as the first one. The story for both games is terribly derivative and predictable though.

Stukov Wolfwood:
snip
about masseffect i have no call as i only played the demo for the first one when it was brand new and found it boring, but you may have to buy the 3 games from origin since you won't be able to use your steam save files on the origin version. Thank EA for that.

What are you smoking? A big bong of stupid? That is the most ridiculous thing I have read in a long time. All PC Saves are in the same place no matter where you get the games, (My Documents) and there is no way EA is going to stop you using the saves from your old games when that is the selling point of the franchise. Think things through before you post.

EDIT: I should do the same really, that reads a bit harsh in retrospect, sorry.

Yup, I'm going to have to ride the ME train on this one too. I only played the first Bioshock and while I do recommend it, it didn't have as much replay value to me as the ME series.

octafish:

Acrisius:

octafish:
Do you like shooters? Then buy Bioshock 2.
Do you like RPGs? Buy Mass Effect.
Do you like Gears of War with some T&A thrown in? Buy Mass Effect 2.
Do you like disappointment and lackluster gameplay? Buy Bioshock.

I think you got it mixed up bro. Move the "2" from the first sentence to the last. Also add "Great narrative and awesome atmosphere" to the first one.

No. I meant exactly what I said. Bioshock is an appalling shooter with lackluster gameplay and a disappointing story, it is pretty though. As a shooter Bioshock 2 is a much better game to play and is just as pretty as the first one. The story for both games is terribly derivative and predictable though.

You're part of a very small minority with that opinion then.

Convoy:
What series should I get into? Buy the first and second Mass Effect games and wait for the 3rd. Or buy Bioshock 1 and 2 and wait for the third installment? Help Escapists!

The third installment of Bioshock isn't actually the third installment. It's a completely different series, with similar themes and the same name for "Brand Name Recognition".

As for what you should get into, it depends on what you want.

In terms of game play, do you want a dark first person shooter with mild level-up elements and mild horror elements, or do you want a brighter third person shooter with major level-up elements[1]?

In terms of story/themes, do you want a ethically dark deconstruction of several prominent political ideas set in the background of a steampunk dystopia where almost everyone has gone insane and wants to kill you? Or do you want a science fiction series that only gets mildly dark, and where you work to... okay, I don't think I'm explaining them well. In short:

They are different games, and if what you have read of both interests you, then get them both. If money / time is an issue, I would recommend reading about both on TVtropes or Wikipedia [links provided below] and choosing the one that you like best, and picking up the second when you can. Both are fantastic.

TVtropes:
Mass Effect
Bioshock

Wikipedia:
Bioshock
Mass Effect

[1] that disappear in the second game and come back in a manageable form in the third

Convoy:
What series should I get into? Buy the first and second Mass Effect games and wait for the 3rd. Or buy Bioshock 1 and 2 and wait for the third installment? Help Escapists!

I say Mass Effect, among other reasons, because of the two it is good as a series. In fact, the level to which the file-transfer from game to sequel affects your gameplay is so well-integrated that it's easy to tell that it's intended to be a series. Also, it has TREMENDOUS replay value, I have replayed each game many times. Bioshock does not, I've played it a few times, but haven't touched it in years. It's really a one-time shot.

On the other hand, Bioshock is NOT a series. Not really. Bioshock 1 wraps itself up in a neat little bow. It should never have had a sequel, I'm pretty sure it was never intended to have a sequel, and as soon as I heard there was one, I thought 'This is a terrible idea'. Not only was it a terrible idea, it was a terrible game in its own right. The upcoming Bioshock Infinite is more of a Franchise continuation than a sequel - it's going to stand alone in a totally different environment, whereas Bioshock 2 was a DIRECT sequel in the same environment, which was a terrible, terrible idea.

So yeah, if you're looking for a series, Mass Effect is definitely what you want. If you want a game, I'd say Mass Effect again because I thin it's awesome, but it and Bioshock both have their merits - Bioshock is an FPS with magic powers slapped on, with a damn good storyline with no interactivity and few characters, and a unique, creepy, and captivating environment. Mass Effect is a Squad TPS with magic powers slapped on, with a pretty good storyline with loads of interactivity and many characters, and a unique, epic, and captivating environment.

I'm very much looking forward to Bioshock Infinite, I'm curious about what they'll do. You can go for Bioshock Infinite to start, it looks like it will stand alone, but if you MUST go for the series, do yourself a favour and SKIP Bioshock 2. You'll see why. But I CANNOT WAIT to play Mass Effect 3, because, beyond the excellence of the games and all they have going for them, I am invested in the series.

SirBryghtside:
Mass Effect, BioShock was a horrible game that decided that thought that a mediocre story could make up for horrible, repetitive gameplay and a dull atmosphere.

Is that an attempt at a joke? Bioshock has been praised solely for its story and atmosphere, both of which arguably are some of the finest examples in video game history. The fun, versatile gameplay and progression was just icing on the cake. I personally own both Mass Effect games and both Bioshock games and I can easily recommend Bioshock (Mostly for the first one). Not that you shouldn't play ME, it is pretty rad too.

CruisingForBiddies:

SirBryghtside:
Mass Effect, BioShock was a horrible game that decided that thought that a mediocre story could make up for horrible, repetitive gameplay and a dull atmosphere.

Is that an attempt at a joke? Bioshock has been praised solely for its story and atmosphere, both of which arguably are some of the finest examples in video game history. The fun, versatile gameplay and progression was just icing on the cake. I personally own both Mass Effect games and both Bioshock games and I can easily recommend Bioshock (Mostly for the first one). Not that you shouldn't play ME, it is pretty rad too.

While I don't agree entirely with SirBryghtside there, there are some of us out here that think Bioshock wasn't all that great.

The atmosphere was the best part in my opinion. It made me jump a few times. But personally I found the story lackluster. The "Big Plot Twist," well it wasn't that big for me. I saw it coming miles away.

And the gameplay was above average, but again, nothing spectacular. Basically there were one or two plasmid-gun combos that could take anything down, and the rest were just novelties to be used for fun.

My main gripe with it is that the game prided itself on such things as being able to invent new ammo or plasimd types, but really all you did is go to a machine and pick which one you wanted to unlock. Not really inventing then, now is it?

CruisingForBiddies:

SirBryghtside:

Good for you, then. I was asked for my opinion, I gave it. BioShock was nothing special in terms of story, even for a videogame, and the atmosphere was never interesting or immersive past the first half hour or so. If you liked it, then fine... but don't expect me to.

Bioshock is better.

Hard to compare the games though.

Setting aside that both are entirely different games for entirely different genres with entirely different stories and settings, For BioShock, ONLY play the first one, avoid the second one like the bubonic plague. Also, you should be able to get it for cheap these days, or if you haven't played Oblivion yet, get the bundle that sells them both in a single package.

As for Mass Effect... GET... THEM... ALL... seriously, Bioshock is great and all, but it's not like a recurring story and you don't relate to any of it's characters, sure, the Big Daddies are badass and all, but you won't be hearing them singing Gilbert & Sulivan.

Both are entirely different experiences that you need to play. As for wich one you should entirely get into, I'll definitively say Mass Effect.

Convoy:

Both are great series' but Mass Effect 1 & 2 are superior in my opinion. Then again you can't really compare the two game series' since they're completely different, one's an FPS, one's an Action RPG.

SirBryghtside:
Good for you, then. I was asked for my opinion, I gave it. BioShock was nothing special in terms of story, even for a videogame, and the atmosphere was never interesting or immersive past the first half hour or so. If you liked it, then fine... but don't expect me to.

I'm not saying you have to haha, sorry if I came off sounding aggressive. Maybe I'm just giving a passionate response because I'm replaying Bishock at the moment (Fort Frolic gives me the willies). And maybe some of the elements such as story aren't groundbreaking or even that original, but as a complete package it stands head and shoulders above a lot of games... And so does Mass Effect for that matter. Golly there goes my argument.

It really depends on what you're looking for, really.

Bioshock 1 is excellent in terms of aesthetics, narrative, story and visuals. It provides a unique and satisfying experience, with the only downside being some gameplay flaws. It is fairly short, but powerful and a must-play for anyone.

The Mass Effect series is a trilogy with the last part coming out soon. Both ME1 and ME2 are satisfying in somewhat different ways, but both will keep you busy for quite a while. It is flawed, but also a great experience in many ways. I'd personally put the first game above KotoR and that's saying quite a bit.

Whatever you do, avoid Bioshock 2. It is not just disappointing, it's pretty fucking awful.

Overall ME is a good series that I have enjoyed despite some issues I had with the second one.
I have only played the first bioshock and while I didn't particularly like it there is a...thing in it which is...awesome. Really awesome. And for that alone I would recommend playing it.

Thank you for all the recommendations, I went to GameStop and for $40 I got Mass Effect 1 & 2. Pre-Ordered 3 and they didn't have Bishock 1 so I just got 2.

Here's an idea, rent them and then make up your own mind. I say this because game opinions are subjective. I like both Bioshock and Mass Effect, they are different types games so comparing them is like asking which is better, an apple or an orange?
But my opinion of a good game may be different to yours. I like Bioshock 2 just as much as the first one but a lot of people say Bioshock 2 is pants. My friend hates Mass Effect 1 but loves 2, such is life.

If you are going to be spending some significant (I am poor so ~ 20 is significant money to me) it's best to try before you buy.

definately bioshock, mass effect was good but too slow paced for me

both are good franchises its more just ur personal preference

I personally like bioshock a lot more than mass effect. The second one was more shootery and generally less good the first but still okay. I didn't really like mass effect. Also I think bioshock infinite will be better than mass effect 3.

I would have to go with Bioshock. Mainly because I've actually played it. Although I have yet to play the second Bioshock, not because people say it's bad but because I've not had the money to get it when I wasn't already planing to get a different game. I've also got too many other games on my want list to be bothered with Mass Effect right now.

This is a really difficult question to me, mainly because Bioshock 1 is my favourite game of this generation but Mass Effect is one my favourite franchises of this generation. You'll probably get more time out of your money if you buy mass Effect though, so I guess I'd go with that.

Also, don't buy Bioshock 2. It isn't all that good in comparison to the first one.

Fr]anc[is:
All of them are good. Even Bioshock 2, which in my opinion has the better story. People always seem to confuse setting and plot in Bioshock 1. The setting of Rapture, which includes all the backstory from the logs, is epic. The actual plot of the game is you wandering around picking your nose for 2/3rds of the game, a pretty cool twist, then a completely retarded boss fight which mysteriously is never mentioned on forums. Bioshock 2 improves the gameplay without messing anything else up in the process, and has an actual plot. As for Mass Effect, it's fucking Mass Effect, go play it now.

It's because we never mentioned the car physics in mass effect , or the planet scanning In mass effect 2.

That said, get Mass effect.

Overall I'd recommend the ME series. The bioshock games are pretty good though. Unlike most people, overall I liked Bioshock 2 better. Namely because the ending didn't suck balls.

MY personal favorite is the Bioshock series. In the end it's up to you, but the games are fun and enjoyable.

Well first of all "Bioshock infinite" is not a "Third instalment" in the same way ME3 is the third instalment of Mass Effect.

OT Go for Mass effect, it's better.

Well it's really hard to compare, they're really very, very different games. Though if pushed to recommend one of them I'd easily side with the M.E series. Simply because it works well as a series, its a fun game with interesting characters and a fun, interesting storyline. Now Bioshock, is again a great game and I recommend it, I wouldn't recommend it over M.E but don't take me as someone selling the game short. It's a very good game, it's got great atmosphere and a stunning setting, there's a brilliant and creepy backstory to be found here and I can't do the game more justice. However as a series its kind of... Well... Not really a series. It doesn't feel like one. It didn't feel like a game that warranted a sequel and thus comes the failing of the sequel. Also I found the shooting in that game extremely clunky.

The sequel to Bioshock, some say its awful, some defend it... Me, I don't know I didn't far past the first few areas before I got bored and put something else on. However I was like that with most games when that came out. I just found the game unnecessary, with M.E, it's kind of left open for a sequel... Here... Not really. The ending kind of tied things up well. Though I imagine that if you play the second one first you won't have too much a problem with that. From what I played it still keeps some of the atmosphere and gameplay, warts and all.

As a series? Mass Effect is easily better. On it's on it may be a reasonable choice between Bioshock 1 and any single Mass Effect game. It's not a game I liked, but seems to be common regarded as pretty awesome.

But beyond the original Bioshock, the series has nothing going for it really, while Mass Effect 2 (and by all indications Mass Effect 3 will be as well) is every bit as worthwhile as the original.

DoPo:
I'd personally recommend getting Bioshock 1 only, like I did. I've heard 2 wasn't as good and could be passed up. But I also have ME 1 and 2 and have only played 1. I suppose you can save up the money from Bioshock 2 and wait for a sale of ME 1 (and possibly 2). I assume there might be one around the launch of ME3, alternatively, Steam will have a deal for them at some point (they do a sale in the beginning of the summer, IIRC).

The thing with bioshock 2 isn't that it isn't as good in my opinion. but there's no angst to it.

In Bioshock 1 you feel small, because you're human. there are people bigger than you in rapture and you can't escape.

But in Bioshock 2 you're a big daddy, you can dispose of splicers like nothing, and not even the ocean can kill you. The only thing they had was the fact that they tell you that you're going to die if you don't get reunited with your little sister soon, but then it's a story driven fps game and it's clear to the player that the game doesn't end until they complete it, there's no time limit.

So basically what I mean is that in Bioshock one you're the hunted. but then in Bioshock 2 you're the hunter.

Mass Effect, easily. DO IT NAO!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked