Microsoft Xbox needs to die.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Well I dont know anyone who hasnt had a 360 red ring, mine lasted the longest out of all my friends (6 years) before giving up the ghost although in my case I ripped it apart and managed to get it working again although that was only about 8 months ago so it may fail again but if it does I wont be buying another one if they cant be bothered to make a decent console I cant be bothered to give them more money.

My C64,SNES,PSX,PS2,N64,Dreamcast,Wii,PS3 etc all still work fine Microsoft needs to stop looking at the bottom line all the time and treat its customers respectfully (Yeah I know not gonna happen but at least Microsoft management can have a laugh over that line).

OP: You certainly are not alone one of my friends is on his 5th 360 two others are on their 3rd and no one (except me because I fixed it) is on their original as for paying for Gold membership well I gave that up ages ago, sod em I will play for free (well without additional cost) on the PC,PS3 or Wii.

Never had any issues with their controllers though just their consoles and business practices.

My friend is on his 7th Xbox...I've asked him why he doesnt switch to PS3 or PC...Gamerscore :|

Programmed For Damage is getting a lot of flak here, but I'm pretty sure he meant mods as in unofficial expansions (like I said in my post) rather than mods that then became full fledged games.

It is dead - has been for 5 years. RROD's what makes xbox special. Pc can't do it - neither can PS3.
Microsoft love it cause ur offline but giving them $$$ to play online. It a genius scam.

The cheapest and nastiest laptop or PC would outperform an xbox. The tech is just too old.

PS3 isn't much better.
By the time you pay the rip off fees just to play online it's much cheaper longterm to buy a good pc. Plus when you upgrade to next gen hardware your games still work. You will save $1000's just by not needed to re-buy for new consoles.

If you are paying to play online - you're being scammed.

The answer is - Don't buy 7 year old tech. Would you pay new price for a 7 year old car?

MiloP:
Also, about the mods, I agree with Vault101. If the game hasn't convinced me on its own merit, then I'm not gonna bother modding it. I'd just stop playing it.

I must say though, the definition of mod seems to be up and down here. When I say mod, I mean a sort of unofficial expansion. Like Nerhim to Oblivion, or the Wanderer's Edition of Fallout 3. Something that modifies the game itself.

Things like CS:S and Dear Esther were just their own games. All that was modified was the engine. And if modifying the engine counts the game as a mod, then damn, half of the games in the world must be mods too, Unreal Engine anybody? :D

You can't just define your own definition of mod and just say everything else isn't one.

Mods are everything from stuff that fixes the UI, to texture packs, to whole new areas and worlds, to item packs, to unofficial patches, to new character models.

The original CS was a mod for Half Life anyway. CS:S wasn't and had a budget.

Programmed_For_Damage:
I might be in the minority but the PC gamers can keep their mods. There is a reason game developers generate content for their own games; it's because they're good at it. I haven't seen a mod yet that isn't in some way half-arsed or stands out from the original content like dog's balls.

BTW I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your 360's. I've got three in the house (2 Pros and a 360S) and none of them have had any problems.

Hold on, I need a cutesy poo "I'll leave this here." Because there are quite a few, the one that I've been playing is this.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/cry-of-fear

Yes, its stands out from the original Half Life in many ways, mainly a complete change in genre focus.

I do think that all Console makers that aren't made by a Console Developer are not going to be memorible because if it goes in a rut then it will never jump back into it.

getoffmycloud:
In other news PC elitists are the lowest form of humanity and should shut up

Next at 11: The person with a troll face picture for his account isn't taken seriously by anyone.

IbanezLaney:
It is dead - has been for 5 years. RROD's what makes xbox special. Pc can't do it - neither can PS3.
Microsoft love it cause ur offline but giving them $$$ to play online. It a genius scam.

The cheapest and nastiest laptop or PC would outperform an xbox. The tech is just too old.

PS3 isn't much better.
By the time you pay the rip off fees just to play online it's much cheaper longterm to buy a good pc. Plus when you upgrade to next gen hardware your games still work. You will save $1000's just by not needed to re-buy for new consoles.

If you are paying to play online - you're being scammed.

The answer is - Don't buy 7 year old tech. Would you pay new price for a 7 year old car?

I hate this argument. Yes, consoles are running on old tech, but so what? They still work. Games on consoles still look really nice, maybe not as nice as they could run on a PC but not exactly ugly.

Also, keeping a PC up to snuff can take lots more money, especially if you're going for a future-proof. Plus there's' been all sorts of issues with PC games on certain graphics cards and drivers and what have you (Rage being the first example that pops into mind), and if you're not into building/maintaining PCs there'll be a lot of grind to get your PC good to go. Xboxes are easier. You pop a game into an Xbox and it'll work, you don't have to go researching minimum specs or graphics card issues. Plus, even if you bought an Xbox at launch, you can be safe in knowledge that current games with graphics far superior to seven years ago will still play on it, without the threat of having to tinker with its innards.

Just because consoles are easier doesn't necessarily make them worse.

And sure, PCs can RRoD. They just Blue Screen every so often instead :D

(You are right on paying for online services being a bit of a scam, though.)

endtherapture:

MiloP:
Also, about the mods, I agree with Vault101. If the game hasn't convinced me on its own merit, then I'm not gonna bother modding it. I'd just stop playing it.

I must say though, the definition of mod seems to be up and down here. When I say mod, I mean a sort of unofficial expansion. Like Nerhim to Oblivion, or the Wanderer's Edition of Fallout 3. Something that modifies the game itself.

Things like CS:S and Dear Esther were just their own games. All that was modified was the engine. And if modifying the engine counts the game as a mod, then damn, half of the games in the world must be mods too, Unreal Engine anybody? :D

You can't just define your own definition of mod and just say everything else isn't one.

Mods are everything from stuff that fixes the UI, to texture packs, to whole new areas and worlds, to item packs, to unofficial patches, to new character models.

I mis-spoke. It's just it's the first thing that pops into my head when someone says mod. Like, when someone says "Oh I got this cool mod for Fallout 3", my brain will jump to something that enhances the Fallout experience, rather than being a whole different game altogether.

But assuming "mod" is short for "modification", then some things are mis-defined. A bit. Things like Dear Esther or Nightmare House aren't really modifications of HL2. They change the whole style and fell of the game and turn into something completely different. Less of a modification, more of a transformation.

Obviously, that's taking the word "mod" in its most literal sense. I do realise the definition covers a whole lot more in this context.

IbanezLaney:

Would you pay new price for a 7 year old car?

depends on the car and what condition the car is in? some cars can hold they're value quite well, but that's a story for another time.

anyway moving on....
I have PC and a 360 elite, only had one problem with it (gpu went out but was covered by warranty), and I can say, both have their ups and downs. it just depends on the gamer...also, I have a friend who's gone through 4 or 5 360s and is blaming the failure of the last one on corrupted data (which is BS if you ask me). he's finally got his PS3 he's been wanting and I'll be laughing when that thing goes out as well, you'll understand if you ever see his room. The garage at the Tire store my dad works at, is cleaner then his room >.>

MiloP:

endtherapture:

MiloP:

I mis-spoke. It's just it's the first thing that pops into my head when someone says mod. Like, when someone says "Oh I got this cool mod for Fallout 3", my brain will jump to something that enhances the Fallout experience, rather than being a whole different game altogether.

But assuming "mod" is short for "modification", then some things are mis-defined. A bit. Things like Dear Esther or Nightmare House aren't really modifications of HL2. They change the whole style and fell of the game and turn into something completely different. Less of a modification, more of a transformation.

Obviously, that's taking the word "mod" in its most literal sense. I do realise the definition covers a whole lot more in this context.

I have an old disc of "Total Conversions for Quake 2", I think that's a better term for something that completely changes the game, as well as being widely used.

endtherapture:

MiloP:

endtherapture:

I have an old disc of "Total Conversions for Quake 2", I think that's a better term for something that completely changes the game, as well as being widely used.

CONVERSION! That's the word my brain was searching for. 24 hours without sleep made me settle for transformation :D

I have a solution for you, and everyone else who are dissapointed by consoles. stop buying them. start gaming on pc. this way you wont have to give them money. you wont have crashes and you will increase the PC games sales, making companies more aware that PC gaming isnt dieing at all.
so yeah, everything would have been solved in the first place if we didnt degenerate our gamin back to consoles. we were free of them for a short while, and hopefully we are going to be free off them once again.
yes, most of the mods are crap. however there are so many thousands of mods, that there still are many great ones. thing is developers cant think of everything. mod communities often does. well the big ones (TES, HOI, CIV communities and the like) does anyway. i mean sure you ownt find everything for F.E.A.R., but ive seen mods that would convert oblivion into fallout and it would feel organic.

Well, for one thing, I've never had an xbox brake down on me.
One controller did have some issues with its left arrowkey, but I wanted another one anyway.
And microsoft is the owner of my favorite gaming-franchise: Halo.
And I already have an xbox 360, so I see no point getting a playstation.

Strazdas:

so yeah, everything would have been solved in the first place if we didnt degenerate our gamin back to consoles. we were free of them for a short while, and hopefully we are going to be free off them once again.

Loving the use of the word "degenerate" here. Makes it sound like us console gamers are only just discovering the secret of fire while the mighty PC gamers have been using their microwave ovens for some time now :D

well my i have had my xbox that i got like a week after they came out and it hasn't broke once

Off all the Xbox "gear" (controllers, headsets, consoles and such) I've only had problems with one 360, that got RRoD (was bought almost at release day, so it was bound to happen) and even then I sold it on a Swedish ebay site for enough money to buy a new one, so I didn't lose any money at it.

Pretty much I've lost more "gear" because of my dog eating it or me dropping the item so it breaks.

I've nothing against other consoles or computer gamers (I'm quite sure I'm lying now) but I'll stay with the 360, I like it's game and I like it's controllers.

Computer games nowadays always have to be used with Steam, and I have a big grudge against Steam, so the only computer game I play is World of Warcraft.

isometry:

Don't get me wrong, Mods are a great part of the PC platform, but only the best ones are worth bothering with. Mods I played this week include planetfall, an excellent remake of Alpha Centauri in Civilization 4, and BF2SPCC, a mod that adds really good bots to Battlefield 2, so you can play matches with friends (or alone) and fill things out with up to 64 bots. They had to write a bunch of AI pathing from scratch since DICE only did it for a few maps and did a crap job at it.

I had no idea there was a mod for bots in Battlefield 2! Thanks man :D

I've had one, yes, one Xbox 360 last me 5+ years. It sat on a well-ventilated shelf and I cleaned it of dust with a hoover sucking through the air vents about once a year, give or take, as I would with my PC. That made it quieter, actually run faster and rarely crash. In all circumstances, when my friends suffer a RRoD it has been their own fault for stacking it sideways, blocking the vent, with it on a closed bookshelf - and the ones who have had no problem also look after their electronics.

My 360 (premium/pro) broke once because the graphic board basically imploded (from heat). It was caked in dust and had been on for 24 hours. I sent if off the next day (from Wales to Germany) and got it back within 10 days of that. It was the same console I sent off (same scuff-marks, serial No. etc.) and that lasted me until November, 2011, nearly four years after it died. I only replaced it in December when out of pure greed I bought the latest Elite S model for a bigger hard-drive, a quieter fan and built in wi-fi. Since then my dad has used it in his room to play OF: Dragon Rising, BiA: Hells' Highway, Battlefield 3's campaign and some Skyrim whilst I enjoy my new model. It still has not failed and he has it less-well ventilated than I had. I've played it a lot; pretty much daily, since I got in in '07. Here's my gamer profile just so you can check up on how much I have actually played it.

Please explain to me why I should hate their product for something that could very well be your own fault. I will completely agree with you that their original models were utterly unreliable and should not have been released in such a state, but if you looked after it, it wasn't a problem overall.

Edit: Sarcasm mode - ENGAGED:

Isn't the entire US economy built off of consumerism, where things break after a while and you have to go and buy it/latest adaptation again? Because I'm pretty sure that's how it works over there...

LoL Console Gamers... They will never learn

Kingme18:

EcksTeaSea:

Shawn MacDonald:
What I hate about these threads is there is always one person who types this line. "This has not been a problem for me and my Xbox works just fine." Just fine and dandy random person on the internet who thinks that everybody else must treat their stuff like crap. Like how mine broke as well and is sitting in my closet never to be played again.

That one random person and bunch of other people. I have only had one 360 break down on me and that was 2 years after launch AND after being thrown down a flight of stairs. On my second 360 and it works perfectly since 2009.

And then that awkward moment where even more people back you up and say that I have owned a 360 for 4 years and it has never been a problem to me ever.... Yeah.

I have owned 2 360's and both of them still work fine. I swear, it either doesn't happen to you, or happens about ten times.At least, that's what it seems like to me, and that correlation does seem to imply that these people aren't treating their x-boxes as well as they should. Not suggesting they have been standing on them or anything, but maybe they just haven't been keeping them in a decently ventilated space, like you are supposed to.

Zeckt:
I am now on my fourth xbox where my first 2 had RROD and third had trouble with the huge bar thing continously turning off and the dvd driver not closing properly. My fourth xbox is the limited gears 3 one which comes with 2 gears of war controllers both of which are screwy. The one had its b button get caved in after 2 weeks and the second continously loses battery power over and over. This is my 5th xbox controller to mess up.

I've had Xboxs for about six years now. My first one lasted four years before it RRODed, a bloody long time. My second would still be lasting now, as I never had any problems with it - the only issue is that it was actually stolen from me, causing my switch to a third console, which has been 100% fine so far and that I've had for almost two years now. I'm still on the original controllers from that first console, which have never had a problem save for needing the battery changing.

And just look at their live service, where it costs developers 40 thousand dollars for a simple patch on their games. They lured a bunch of small independent developers and with the new update beat them in a corner and charge developers huge amounts of money to put games on the arcade.

Okay, maybe the company are screwing larger developers. However, I'm working for an indie project myself, and guess what system we're developing for? That's right, Xbox Live Arcade. So we've actually done our research, and I feel more qualified therefore than you to say that quite frankly, Microsoft make things easy for small developers. Maybe it's because they know those small developers don't have the money for Microsoft to bully from them?

With the new patch we are bombarded with advertisements, and they have the guts to raise the price on live for something which really should be free. You have to have an active live account to have access to "perks" like netflix (thats a JOKE) and live ruined any communication with their community with their games. Just look at the sorry state of the dungeon defender dlc, microsoft acts like bloody money grubbing tyrants and just look at how it ruins games that thrive on dlc like l4d or team fortress 2. You cannot mod ANY game on the 360, which makes people who bought skyrim on the 360 insanely jealous of all the fun the pc community gets to have with user created content. Microsoft simply does not ALLOW us access to it because it contradicts their ideals.

Free? You really expect XBLive to be free? It costs a hell of a lot of money to run, you know. What's almost $100 to you is about 40 here in the UK, and that is a very reasonable price to pay for playing online for a whole year, if you use it often enough. A lot of new release games give a free month or three months free anyway, and what you say about things like Netflix is a simple case of you not doing the research. Those things require the activation of XBL SILVER, which is (and always has been) free. Dungeon Defender DLC is down to the development team, not Microsoft's Xbox Live division, andall Microsoft really acts like is a fair and normal company. Just like Apple, just like Sony or Nintendo, and just like (insert your vavourite corporate moneypot here). Back to the price, do you know how much it costs each year? To run Xbox Live, you need a team of at least a hundred people, you have bills everywhere, lighting at the servers, running the servers, the electric, maintenance (with the amount of traffic XBL gets it's a wonder the servers haven't burnt down yet), maintaining infrastructure over a vast area to keep up worldwide support, not to mention all the PR support, customer service (which I've dealt with and have only ever had good experiences with at Microsoft), and everything else a company needs to actually run. For all that, I see 40 a year as a piddling amount to pay. Look at PSN, anyway. I've had experience of PSN and Xbox Live, as before I got an Xbox I was a lifelong Sony supporter. And PSN, quite frankly, is crap. It may be free, but I'd rather pay and get a good service that also has decent security than Sony's trash service. Again, this is coming from someone who has experience of both. My opinion, but still a valid point...

Also, mods. Why does the Xbox need mods? I will concede that it would be nce to get mods on the Xbox, but it's not something that's necessary. Especially as in this day and age, almost everyone who owns an Xbox 360 will also have a PC (or Mac) anyway, so there is absolutely NOTHING stopping people from buying PC games instead. Sure, you may argue that people might not have a computer that can run up-to-date games, but that's bullshit, because it's easy (and not that expensive) to either get a custom build or to buy updated hardware and add it to your computer. To play the current generation of games anyway, you only need a build from 2010 onwards with updated drivers, I'd say. Which most people should have in their homes as a matter of course. Hell, I can play the latest PC releases (and do) on a laptop that only cost me about 800 - quite a reasonable price for the build it is. If I want mods, I'll simply buy a game for that instead of the Xbox 360, it's that simple.

Enough is enough! all microsoft accomplishes is strangling developers with their bullshit, and get away with releasing GARBAGE hardware so you have to re-buy the console and controller over and over and they actually have the guts to charge you almost 100$ a year to play games online.

See my above comments.

Next gen microsoft NEEDS to lose the race because they are literally keeping gaming in the dark ages with their selfish tactics. In a perfect world everyone would buy games only for the pc so developers / consumers can enjoy freedom and the biggest hurdle for developers would not be the money to make the games, but only their creativity. Will microsoft ever have gems like Cave Story, SOL exodus which is trying to make a space combat comeback, or Terraria? NO, because they ask for way too much money. Microsoft is the equivalent of the church in the dark ages.

What is there to defend about the 360 other then brand loyalty?

Plenty, see my above comments for details. Also, what you say about people only buying games for the PC? That marks you out as both a PC fanboy who isn't willing to give other systems a chance, and also as a fool. You really think a PC-only world would be better for gaming than an Xbox-only world? Neither would be good, because you need competition. That's one of the most fundamental rules of business (and yes, this is BUSINESS we're talking about - game companies are companies, after all...). A PC-only world would do as much as Microsoft apparently are to stagnate development, because the lack of competition from consoles would simply mean no drive or incentive to create or innovate. Change and creativity don't just come up unbidden when money s on the line, no matter what you may think. There's no market for creativity and independance when the big PC companies are controlling who gets the money. It really isn't hard to understand, you know. Basically put, your entire argument is wrong. That's that.

I'm not saying Microsoft are perfect, I've had problems with them in the past as well, and I know the pain of losing a console to the dreaded RROD. All I'm saying is that they're nowhere near as bad as you make out, and you are basically biased, and apparently seem to be nothing more than a PC fanboy, which is nothing worth bleating about.

I still have the original Xbox 360 Elite I got a few months after it's release day. I've never had a RRoD or any real problems that cannot be fixed (some issues with a dirty laser not reading, but nothing game-breaking). I'm still using it now...

Pretty sure your just having some really bad luck there mate, don't hate the company for your own misfortunes...

Programmed_For_Damage:
I might be in the minority but the PC gamers can keep their mods. There is a reason game developers generate content for their own games; it's because they're good at it. I haven't seen a mod yet that isn't in some way half-arsed or stands out from the original content like dog's balls.

The mount and musket mod for the game mount and blade is one I play on constantly. It's highly origonal and could probably even sell as it's own title if it wanted to.

I hate to tell you this but it isn't just microsoft thats become greedy bastards. Every one of the major conseles have proven to be dicks in one way or the other. And now game developers themselves are proving to be just as bad with first day DLC, online passes, and project $10

If Microsoft were to vanish tommorow the state of the industry wouldn't change much at all.

You know its weird. Had my 360 since launch yet it hasn't died. Actually no it has died. It's had many RRoDs many times, but none have been permanent. It just refuses to die.

Bvenged:

innocentEX:
LoL Console Gamers... They will never learn

Quoted for Truth, Thanks for reinforcing my argument, seriously Console Gamers? why you know move to Card Games... ???

People who say that Xbox hardware failures simply come down to bad luck are kidding themselves. Microsoft had AWFUL quality control when it came to the manufacturing of the original Xbox, and the situation hasn't gotten any better for the 360.

I'm not going to touch on the other points because they're not necessarily universal concerns. For example, the lack of mods isn't something I'd consider to be a problem. If you're in the market for a console, chances are good that you don't care much about mods, and modding support probably wouldn't weigh heavily in your decision to choose one console over another. If you want mods, you play PC games -- that's how it's always been.

The other concerns you mentioned don't exactly seem unique to MS or the Xbox system or Live by any means.

But when it comes to the hardware issue, then I can agree with you. There's NO excuse for the rate of failure of Xbox systems.

i have had 1 PS3 its never failed me the controllers have never failed me and when i had a xbox it broke twice in the span of 3 weeks. also i stayed with PSN because i don't believe i should have to pay to play games online.

To be fair, the 360 is nearing the end of its life cycle so it makes sense just to milk the suckers for every last bit of cash before sending them off to buy a new Xbox

I just hate the Xbox for:
- Lack of interesting titles: How many Xbox exclusives aren't about gunning down enough people to count as a war crime?
- It being notorious for failure: I don't think I've known anybody who's N64 stopped working before it was over 15 years old.
- Paid online: Are you shitting me? You're asking me to pay to have a bunch of racial and homophobic epithets screamed into my ear while I play?
- Racist pre-pubescent assholes: As mentioned, it seems a good 99% of the Xbox owning public belong in the Hitler Youth.

So yes, I would be quite ok with it vanishing from the market.

My original white xbox from release still works fine. I hate how microsoft strangles the developers but in all honesty I has the RROD one one and occasion; and it was fixed by punching it.

If your unhappy with the service, stop paying for it.

Fucking aye. Why does everything have to turn into a crusade?

getoffmycloud:
In other news PC elitists are the lowest form of humanity and should shut up

Oh your a cute little one aren't you? Did you Dad let you have a day out from under that bridge?

OT: If you don't like MS and want their next console to fail then try get everyone who agrees with you to actually stand for something and not buy their stuff. At least console wise if that is where you have a problem.

For some reason gamers find it hard to stick to their morals as consumers. I am aware games aren't the be all and end all but when we can't even organise a proper boycott where everyone sticks to it. I am talking about the steam group for MW 2 boycott despite being 1% of the boycott had appalling follow through.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked