ME3 Marketing: A New Low For EA?

Yes, yes, I know, another ME3 thread, but hear me out.

Remember this site? A petition for UK citizens to release info about extra-terrestrial life? After a Who.Is search, it's evident that it's actually owned by EA, so all the trade-marking at the bottom is legit.

This one user raises an interesting topic. I would suggest you read the whole exchange.

Basically, by creating this petition and directing people to it, EA is wasting UK taxpayers' money for the sake of ME3's viral marketing. After the scandal involving Dante's Inferno's ad campaign, and then Dead Space 2's juvenile marketing, is this a new low for EA's marketing department?

Would you like to know more? They forgot that part on the site.

Nouw:

Pardon? I don't quite follow.

Raiyan 1.0:
I would suggest you read the whole exchange.

I would suggest you use the search bar.

Buzz Killington:

Raiyan 1.0:
I would suggest you read the whole exchange.

I would suggest you use the search bar.

I bloody did. I put in "mass effect 3 petition uk alien", searched body and title, and all I got was this.

Its not going in front of parlament. They can pick what petitions they address no matter how many signaqtures they get and if I remember correctly the records on UFOs were released years ago.

But yeah, its just EA being EA. Your mom hates Dead Space 2, the whole Dantes Inferno thing, and this. Yeah EA, just fuck off and stick to normal TV adverts. Jerks.

EDIT: Oh yeah, dont forget their viral marketing on forums. Fucking disgraceful.

(This was posted in the threads twin brother, OPs internet fucked up or something, but this is the active one so I will quote this here.)

Kahunaburger:
Lol @ Stanley Woo making ridiculous arguments. Dude needs to just leave it at "end of line" because anything from there is only digging himself deeper.

U NO DISCUSS THINGS ON GORIOUS REPUBLIC OF BIOWARE FORUMS

END OF RINE

Yeah, Stanley Woo's moderating is...not of the greatest quality. Still not just making a 'This is off-topic - tread lock! End of line!' post is a huge improvement for him already.

I'll cut and past this from the first thread as people need to understand how the e-petition system works

"Mantonio" said: if a petition reaches 100,000 signatures, it has to be brought up and discussed in Parliament.

I said: Nope, no longer true, thanks to the riots last year and the 691,000 people that voted for a bill to take benefits away from any rioter caught and prosecuted, any petition that reaches 100,000 views will now be discussed in a sub-committee before being brought before the members of parliament. If the committee decide that the poll has been used for false reasons (such as for a marketing stunt) they have the ability to launch an investigation to prosecute and reclaim any monies used in said investigation.

However seeing as every "UFO" petition in the last five years has been rejected I'm not seeing this go any further.

All I see is someone crying about getting Modded. Yes, you write hate threads your gonna get locked, what the hell do you expect? The internet is a bloodsoaked wasteland of howling monkey people, Mods for large scale communities like that generally don't have the time or patience to read every thread that causes trouble nor milksop the QQ from the people who post them.

I read the whole exchange. The mod was far more polite than I would've been. Whining about wasting taxpayer money? Petition your government to press so the so called criminal charges then.

This happens every time Bioware has a major release, a few failboys come yowling out of the woodwork and rile up the whole troop of internet monkeys and next thing you know everyones beating their chest and throwing poop and OMG EA/BIOWARE IS THE WORST THING EVAR.

I live in the UK and it's not wasting any money at all.

AT ALL.

It's a webpage, posted on a government website.

I could start a petition for free chocolate spread FOR ALL and it's "wasting" the same amount of money, which is----NONE.

People are just being ridiculous. Why don't you care about something that matters for once, and put your energy towards something positive instead of constantly complaining about Bioware and EA? It's not like they've murdered your children. Grow up.

endtherapture:
I live in the UK and it's not wasting any money at all.

AT ALL.

It's a webpage, posted on a government website.

I could start a petition for free chocolate spread FOR ALL and it's "wasting" the same amount of money, which is----NONE.

People are just being ridiculous. Why don't you care about something that matters for once, and put your energy towards something positive instead of constantly complaining about Bioware and EA? It's not like they've murdered your children. Grow up.

This. Exactly this. There are more pressing things to complain about. I understand a lot of the complaints against EA, but this doesn't deserve the sort of backlash it's getting. Even though I'm sure a monkey could think of a much more creative way to grab attention - heck, even launching ME3 discs into space was a good idea.

I'm not really concerned about it, it's just a webpage. I didn't think making a webpage is illegal, despite being a breach of conditions. I don't think the terms and conditions are considered law. So, I don't really care about it...

but it's dumb, and it's stupid... and it's stupid...
and it's dumb ;D

I'd rather they shouldn't have done this.

Raiyan 1.0:

Nouw:

Starship Troopers refrence.
He's saying that EA is one of those companies that would probably still going the same way it is now if the nazis had won the war.

Raiyan 1.0:

Nouw:

That's what I felt.

GonzoGamer:

Raiyan 1.0:

Nouw:

Starship Troopers refrence.
He's saying that EA is one of those companies that would probably still going the same way it is now if the nazis had won the war.

Eh not exactly but the whole vibe of that site felt a bit propaganda. Maybe I'm just over-thinking it.

Mathak:
Yeah, Stanley Woo's moderating is...not of the greatest quality. Still not just making a 'This is off-topic - tread lock! End of line!' post is a huge improvement for him already.

Agreed I haven't seen a single topic that he's been involved in that has even been remotely successful and this doesn't help. Granted it doesn't hurt since that's basically standard behavior for him but it still doesn't help.

MiguelSanchez:
You guys are a bunch of babies. If you want people to take you seriously, maybe you should stop bitching about video game advertising on message boards and get on with your lives. Boo-hoo, advertising is condescending to me. Well, welcome to the real world you nitwits. Advertising condescends to everybody.

New account? Mindlessly defending grorious leader? Misdirecting the the point?

Go to bed EA marketing department.

We want to make our own minds up, thanks.

(Remember to be polite on the forum if you're gonna troll, or at least be funny about it.)

Umm. Why is this a big deal? So they made an alien info petition on the UK Government site to market ME3 and that wastes taxpayers money? What? Putting the alien bullshit of questionable taste to one side why does making a petition (there's a lot of petitions going round at any given time) cost taxpayers money? 'S not like it's actually gonna go through...

Seriously this is the least bad marketing EA has ever done. That space launch proposal thing (did that get canceled?) was a genuinely good idea.

And, for the record, this is the most pedantic and insignificant thing anyone has ever complained at Bioware for. That's saying something.

Personally I think "Tay be wasting urr monies" is the most boring complaint ever. God!

I honestly don't think this is anywhere near as bad as the marketing for Dante's Inferno, although it's still pretty stupid by any normal measure. It's kind of sad that I'm actually getting used to this kind of thing from EA.

I'm going to express the opinion that this guy is getting a little too concerned with an issue many would consider insignificant, but I've done exactly the same on these very forums to The Escapist's mods, so it'd be hypocritical of me to criticise.

At the end of the day, this is one person who attempted to express their disdain for a particularly moronic advertising campaign which involved the use of a government-run website. In the process, he found himself the subject of judgement by a moderator who not only fails to make a great deal of logical sense in this particular exchange, but has, according to people's accounts of the goings-on at the Bioware forums (can't speak from personal experience) built himself a reputation for being both heavy-handed and wholly illogical.

I'm inclined to support this fellow. He was civil and pressed the point in a manner which was fairly logical. While he seemed to be blowing things out of proportion a little, I'm certianly more on board with the idea of backing his side in this. He was attempting to criticise a company for making an idiotic marketing move which could (although i'm not saying this was likely) have wasted a quantity of taxpayer's money.

The moderator shouldn't have been able to simply shut him down like this. When a large online community is moderated by people who make somewhat illogical choices, then there's definetly cause for complaint.

One thing I won't do is join the side of the people who make this guy out to be some basement-dwelling failure just because of his annoyance at this issue - it's not up to us to question or criticise the assumed motives of someone we never actually met, is it? All we can do is speculate, and that isn't reasonable grounds for derision.

And I'm most definetly not going to support statements along the lines of "moderators can carry out actions like this entirely at their own discretion". That attitude should never be taken towards someone who has taken up the responsibility of enforcing the rules.

The Wykydtron:
Umm. Why is this a big deal? So they made an alien info petition on the UK Government site to market ME3 and that wastes taxpayers money? What? Putting the alien bullshit of questionable taste to one side why does making a petition (there's a lot of petitions going round at any given time) cost taxpayers money? 'S not like it's actually gonna go through...

Seriously this is the least bad marketing EA has ever done. That space launch proposal thing (did that get canceled?) was a genuinely good idea.

And, for the record, this is the most pedantic and insignificant thing anyone has ever complained at Bioware for. That's saying something.

Personally I think "Tay be wasting urr monies" is the most boring complaint ever. God!

You're talking about a developer that has been criticsed for having a little too much "gay stuff" in their games by people who feel uncomfortable with the possibility of their virtual avatar maybe being up for some nonexistent man-on-man.

I don't think this can be considered the most petty complaint they've ever fielded, and when the complaint concerns the possible wasting of taxpayer money and unfair, illogical punishment at the hands of a moderator who is essentially cutting down on someone's ability to communicate something both reasonable and entirely valid within the community that it's most relevant to... well, you can't just dismiss something like that out of hand.

To quote the poster below me who makes an extremely relevant point which should probably be quoted in the OP....

Petromir:

IF it makes the magic signatures number it goes before a sub-committee and they DO cost money. And given the nature of the petition it is a massive waste of money if it does.

I know you're already aware of this, but I think this should probably be made entirely clear to everyone posting on this forum because it validates the points of the complaining party shown in that screenshot: On logical, objective grounds, this marketing decision could lead to the waste of government time and taxpayer's money. I think that on it's own deserves some stern disapproval, regardless of the amount of time and money that could realistically become involved.

The Wykydtron:

IF it makes the magic signatures number it goes before a sub-committee and they DO cost money. And given the nature of the petition it is a massive waste of money if it does.

As for the legality and the morality of the marketing ploy, I don't know how I feel. While I do see it as a stupid, pointless petition, as others have said, there have been much worse. And, knowing EA's marketing team, this is almost a step forward, compared to the BS they did for Dante and Deadspace (although neither points justify the petition).

BUT as for the way he was treated by the moderator, that was absolutely ridiculous. Particularly for forums of a large corporation, they should feel secure enough in their popularity and power that no one person will be able to bring down the entire marketing campaign or popularity of a game. Any dissent or negativity within a forum should be used to positively effect how their business as run, not squashed.

The way that Stanley Woo acting was immature and, frankly, stupid for an employee of a major corporation. I don't understand how EA can allow a representative to flat out deny that they can access obvious webpages like this. And if he was simply told to say that, how EA can think that people will believe that this is some great mystery that needs investigating.

TL;DR: The marketing campaign isn't the issue, it's that EA would represent themselves with a moderator like Stanley Woo. Wtf.

bean burrito:
As for the legality and the morality of the marketing ploy, I don't know how I feel. While I do see it as a stupid, pointless petition, as others have said, there have been much worse. And, knowing EA's marketing team, this is almost a step forward, compared to the BS they did for Dante and Deadspace (although neither points justify the petition).

BUT as for the way he was treated by the moderator, that was absolutely ridiculous. Particularly for forums of a large corporation, they should feel secure enough in their popularity and power that no one person will be able to bring down the entire marketing campaign or popularity of a game. Any dissent or negativity within a forum should be used to positively effect how their business as run, not squashed.

The way that Stanley Woo acting was immature and, frankly, stupid for an employee of a major corporation. I don't understand how EA can allow a representative to flat out deny that they can access obvious webpages like this. And if he was simply told to say that, how EA can think that people will believe that this is some great mystery that needs investigating.

TL;DR: The marketing campaign isn't the issue, it's that EA would represent themselves with a moderator like Stanley Woo. Wtf.

Depends the site could be region locked and i wouldnt of stayed civil with that guy for so long with him constantly blowing off like that

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked