Day one DLC?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

All this ME3 (keep reading....i have a point to make) outrage over day one dlc is dumb. Mostly because the character was meant to be Collectors Edition only and Bioware could have made it so. An if that was the case then people would be pissed that they wouldnt get the prothean unless they bought a 70 game.

Now, my argument is. What if they waited 3 months before releasing the DLC? Would that really matter? Personally, I would rather have the character now as I doubt I will be playing ME3 after 3 weeks so waiting 3 months is pointless. Do i really want to play the game again, (i plan 3 playthroughs) just with a new character that wont add much at all? Wouldn't you rather have him to play for your first or second playthrough?

So is releasing the Prothean character for 10 3 months later really worth it? Wouldn't you rather play as the Prothean day one than wait 3 months for the honour?

I agree with the money aspect and that releasing it on day one can seem money grabbing. But really, do you think waiting 3 months makes a difference? An wouldnt you rather have him sooner than later? When you think about it, if you are that annoyed, just buy the DLC in 3 months time.

You could have easily made this post on another Arse Defect 3 thread, but I understand that you made a whole different thread so it will be seen by a lot more people.

I plan to buy that DLC, regardless of price and date released. I seen your point, it being better available the first day instead of months later.

In most cases with others, it's not the date, but the price. Some people feel entitled to the DLC and believe it should come free with the game, since you know how important the Protheans are in the ME universe, especially a live one. (No, I don't personally think it's that important.)

The problem is not "I have to pay extra for a character", I don't have problem if they are good character. The problem is that day one DLC passes a massage and that massage is "We could have included that in the game but we decided to make a few extra bucks instead so suck it up, you worthless worm, we know you buy it anyway"

That sad thing is we will buy it anyway...

I think what we really needed was another thread about this.

Diablo2000:
The problem is not "I have to pay extra for a character", I don't have problem if they are good character. The problem is that day one DLC passes a massage and that massage is "We could have included that in the game but we decided to make a few extra bucks instead so suck it up, you worthless worm, we know you buy it anyway"

They did put it into the game. In the Collector's Edition. Which they told you they were going to do months ago.

Aris Khandr:

Diablo2000:

They did put it into the game. In the Collector's Edition. Which they told you they were going to do months ago.

So my options are pay more for it or pay more for it?

Great thread, OP! The developers are really doing us a favor by giving us the opportunity to buy the content now in one easy payment of 9.99$, instead of holding out on it for months like some unprofessional Polish studios do.

Really, what would be the point of DLC if everyone who bought the game got it for free? The Prothean companion and all the other exciting DLC packs are the mark of a true BioWare™ fan! I would envy the one who manages to collect them all, haha!

By the way, where did everybody pre-order their game from? I pre-ordered it digitally from EA's top distribution service - Origin™. It's really great!

Use this exclusive promotion code now for a 10 discount - ISCK-DCKS-BYCH-OICE

Diablo2000:

Aris Khandr:

Diablo2000:

Would you rather they not offer it to non-CE buyers at all? Because that's how a lot of things used to go. Get the CE, or miss out entirely.

Diablo2000:

The really sad thing is that more and more people aren't buying it anyway.
I know I don't. I hate crap like that and online pass, so I don't buy any games that use that crap.

That's the problem with day 1 dlc. It's like they're not even trying to put across the notion that they listened to the fans and said "hey we should add that" which is what they used to do back in the day when this kind of stuff was only done on the pc. But really it's become quite obvious that 95% of dlc sold now-a-days are just parts of the original game that have been carves away to be sold separately.
So even when they do wait, I'm still suspicious of how much of the content could/should have been included with the original release. Look at the gta4 dlc. A lot of the toys and stuff they added into BoGT are things that you would normally unlock in a GTA game by playing through it, but for gta4 we had to unlock it all with a $20 purchase.

Really the only DLC I've seen this generation that I think was made thoughtfully (meaning the actually considered what the fans want added) and with a good value (meaning that the consumer got a good amount of content for their money) is the dlc that was made for Borderlands.

Hidden extra costs and content pinching is always a welcome addition to my games, I don't see why people have problems with it :D

We have been over this so many times and the end point will always be the same, the consumers will consume no matter the price and that is what EA is playing on.

I think it has less to do with the day and more with there is probably (almost definitely) data for the character already on the disc, so they are mad they have to pay for it and that the game should be delayed to finish the character and have it be free.
Please correct me if this is wrong, but one generation ago we would have had stuff on the disc that we are either not finished or inaccessible because of time constraints, and the only way to get it would either be an updated release that would cost probably about 50 dollars or just not get the content at all.

It's a good job we have another thread going on about the anger about the DLC is stupid and then explaining the exact same argument while yet again completely missing the point of why people are annoyed.

I mean phew, I almost thought this thread was going to actully have something new in it but nope, apparently posting in one of the other 5 threads about this wasn't enough, we needed to hear the exact same thing again, but in a brand new thread because that will clearly convince us that we are all entitled gamers and the DLC is nothing to complain about.

I think it is all bullshit myself. I wouldn't buy the DLC 15 days, months, or years later and I won't buy it on day 1. I am also skipping out on the entire game because of all of the crap associated with Mass Effect 3 and Origin in addition to that.
The fact gamers are becoming used to DLC as just part of the process is annoying. The more you keep buying that shit, the more of it is coming out. Eventually they will finish a game and just release it in 50 dollar episodes, drop 200 bucks to finish the game. Oh wait...

Thoric485:
Great thread, OP! The developers are really doing us a favor by giving us the opportunity to buy the content now in one easy payment of 9.99$, instead of holding out on it for months like some unprofessional Polish studios do.

Really, what would be the point of DLC if everyone who bought the game got it for free? The Prothean companion and all the other exciting DLC packs are the mark of a true BioWare™ fan! I would envy the one who manages to collect them all, haha!

By the way, where did everybody pre-order their game from? I pre-ordered it digitally from EA's top distribution service - Origin™. It's really great!

Use this exclusive promotion code now for a 10 discount - ISCK-DCKS-BYCH-OICE

I'll be looking for hidden messages in all unlock keys from now on.

OT: This is a shitty practice that I would like to see quashed. We got the relationship between business and consumer confused somewhere along the way. They're supposed to impress us to get our money, and there's nothing impressive about EA and Bioware lately.

If a good game have day one DLC I will skip the game completely. If a great game have day one DLC I will get the game ones I see it for $10 or less. It is about the same rule I have with some of the more aggressive forms of DRM. I don't want the the industry to think the can do whatever they want.
It does help that even on the best of times game have a hard time compete with books for my money and they only have to add way little bullshit, before I find that a new book and replaying a older game will give me greater value for the same cost.

It convinced me to buy the collector's edition. So yea :P.

EDIT: I don't like day 1 DLC where they cut something out of the game and charge you at launch but this is different. They made the DLC after the game was complete, so no problem right? Well you seem to have a problem with them charging you money for something they made. Thats just damn right crazy! Acting like a business and such...

Yes, I deem this relevant for this thread also...

I don't like their business model. I prefer when companies give the tiny shit like this away to *everyone* that purchases new, and leave "collectors" editions to having physical cool stuff and not just downloadable stuff.

I'm not saying they're "evil," and I don't speak for others, but I personally prefer companies that do a bit extra for the consumer, which will get plenty more sales than being kinda dickish like Bioware.

As a consumer you should always demand lower prices, anything else is just insanity.

Not so much got an issue with Day 1 DLC available for everyone, or bonus content for people that pre-order a game sight unseen*.

My issue is support, I just re-installed Dragon Age Origins and had to go through a load of rigmarole just to get the DLC that I had, it was laborious and quite technical, not personally daunting but I could see and know others who would struggle to have got the content to work. What happens in another 5 years when I decide to fire up DA:O? Is the content going to be there I don't know? And while that is a real risk with any digital purchase - I feel far more wary about maintaining access to DLC than a full game.

*to big a risk to my mind as I'm a PC gamer and buggy piece of s*** is a phrase that is applicable to way to many releases going back a very long time, guess it's also very true of console releases as well.

Diablo2000:

...Yes. Because it's extra content. Last I checked people paid for extra content. If I want cheese on a burger I pay more. If I want big speakers in my car I pay more.

Blazing Steel:

EDIT: I don't like day 1 DLC where they cut something out of the game and charge you at launch but this is different. They made the DLC after the game was complete, so no problem right? Well you seem to have a problem with them charging you money for something they made. Thats just damn right crazy! Acting like a business and such...

Made after the game was complete but still finished it BEFORE release date. Would you pay for a games first patch? Also, you could argue that if they didn't piss around with the multiplayer and kinect options they'd have had the time to put it in game before classification. Not to mention all the other bonus crap from buying figurines and art books and whatnot, so if Bioware actually tried to put this DLC in the game before classification they could have.

And then there is the cost.... Honestly, if the DLC only set me back a couple of pounds I probably wouldn't have given even half a shit but as it stands it will cost almost as much as the awesome Rockstar games DLC packs such as Lost and Damned and Undead Nightmare which are all fully fledged expansion packs and not some shitty bonus character that the developers themselves have admitted to not being particularly important to the plot.

There is a fine line between good business and exploiting idiot consumers.

SonOfVoorhees:
All this ME3 (keep reading....i have a point to make) outrage over day one dlc is dumb. Mostly because the character was meant to be Collectors Edition only and Bioware could have made it so. An if that was the case then people would be pissed that they wouldnt get the prothean unless they bought a 70 game.

Now, my argument is. What if they waited 3 months before releasing the DLC? Would that really matter? Personally, I would rather have the character now as I doubt I will be playing ME3 after 3 weeks so waiting 3 months is pointless. Do i really want to play the game again, (i plan 3 playthroughs) just with a new character that wont add much at all? Wouldn't you rather have him to play for your first or second playthrough?

So is releasing the Prothean character for 10 3 months later really worth it? Wouldn't you rather play as the Prothean day one than wait 3 months for the honour?

I agree with the money aspect and that releasing it on day one can seem money grabbing. But really, do you think waiting 3 months makes a difference? An wouldnt you rather have him sooner than later? When you think about it, if you are that annoyed, just buy the DLC in 3 months time.

When I put $60 into a game Im paying for all the development that was done prior to the games release. If content was developed during release but not finished it should be released later as free DLC (see Shale from Dragon age origins).

I dont think it makes a bit of difference when the DLC comes out. If that DLC was funded by the initial development cost (what we pay for in our initial $60 investment) then consumers have a right to it. By not providing that content (content that was paid for by the development fund) Bioware has ensured that their game is incomplete. Anyone can claim that this was done after the game was complete but the cost of development for this DLC is still coming from the original development fund. Its what our initial investment pays for and what gamers are entitled to.

Any DLC that is made after release and not paid for by the initial development fund is free game for extra costs.

Wuvlycuddles:

Blazing Steel:

Made after the game was complete but still finished it BEFORE release date. Would you pay for a games first patch? Also, you could argue that if they didn't piss around with the multiplayer and kinect options they'd have had the time to put it in game before classification. Not to mention all the other bonus crap from buying figurines and art books and whatnot, so if Bioware actually tried to put this DLC in the game before classification they could have.

And then there is the cost.... Honestly, if the DLC only set me back a couple of pounds I probably wouldn't have given even half a shit but as it stands it will cost almost as much as the awesome Rockstar games DLC packs such as Lost and Damned and Undead Nightmare which are all fully fledged expansion packs and not some shitty bonus character that the developers themselves have admitted to not being particularly important to the plot.

There is a fine line between good business and exploiting idiot consumers.

As oposed to all the other developers who make a game and while the game is classified sit on their arse. They could have easy not made it. Also all the DLC really does is allow you to recruit the dude and do a loyalty type mission, which was the same as every other DLC character so it's in keeping with their business plan. 10 for it? Yea sounds about right for the Mass Effect fan. These are people like me who will play through the game 3-4 times if not more which will add up to aroud a days play time. So for me anyway (the mass effect fan it's aimed at) it's a decent price.

Also untill it comes out we won't know if it's worth 10, so stop getting your panties in a twist untill it's out. If it has HUGE plot significance then we can talk about Bioware being evil.

It's a pretty big message being sent out to players: "Ha, we can cut out chunks of what should be in the original game but oh well, pay us even more money."

Wanna call me an "entitled whiner"? Go ahead but this should by all principles be free. It's not like getting a cool weapon camo or some armour skin. It's a prothean! In Mass Effect that's a huge deal and while I'm not buying ME3 and am not a massive fan of Mass Effect by any means, I can sure as hell see why people are getting worked up over this. I'd feel ripped off too if I had any intention to buy the game.

Okay, so they couldn't get it onto the disk because of whatever inconveniences got in the way? Then make it a free downloadable item. They've done it before with Dragon-Age so why not this?

idarkphoenixi:
"Ha, we can cut out chunks of what should be in the original game but oh well, pay us even more money."

The content was made after the game was considered 'finished' in an aim in make it better. It was never 'cut out'. Also it is being made free... for collectors edition.

Diablo2000:

I don't mean to be 'that guy' but a 'massage' is something which can involve backrubs and oil. I think you were meant to say 'message'. It's impossible to say that without sounding like a douche but they're two different words.

OT: It's what this guy was saying, they could (should) have easily included the character into the game, and they should have, because it was ready by the game's release date, or they could have at least held the DLC for a later release so it's clear what significance the character holds within the game's story.

Angry Juju:
OT: It's what this guy was saying, they could (should) have easily included the character into the game, and they should have, because it was ready by the game's release date, or they could have at least held the DLC for a later release so it's clear what significance the character holds within the game's story.

Why? The character is for the Collector's Edition of the game first. It's offered as DLC for those who didn't buy it if they decided they wanted it. Why hold it back, and thus take away value from the CE just so the people who didn't buy it will complain less?

Everyone should know something that I don't think a whole lot of you know.
There was a point in time when Bioware wasn't even going to give you the new squad mate.
I switched my Pre-order over to the collectors edition back in the day when the new character was going to be exclusive to that version I can only assume that they flipped and decided to sell it to everyone else when places started running out of collector's edition pre-orders.

So there was a point in time when you would never have been able to play with a prothean if you didn't spring for the expensive edition. Yeah it's a heartless marketing gimmick but shut up about it already.

Diablo2000:

It was my understanding that they didn't start working on From Ashes until after ME3 was already finished.

Windcaler:

When I put $60 into a game Im paying for all the development that was done prior to the games release. If content was developed during release but not finished it should be released later as free DLC (see Shale from Dragon age origins).

I dont think it makes a bit of difference when the DLC comes out. If that DLC was funded by the initial development cost (what we pay for in our initial $60 investment) then consumers have a right to it. By not providing that content (content that was paid for by the development fund) Bioware has ensured that their game is incomplete. Anyone can claim that this was done after the game was complete but the cost of development for this DLC is still coming from the original development fund. Its what our initial investment pays for and what gamers are entitled to.

Any DLC that is made after release and not paid for by the initial development fund is free game for extra costs.

This guy knows what hes talking about and its strange how the people in favour of day one dlc have ignored him

Blazing Steel:

idarkphoenixi:
"Ha, we can cut out chunks of what should be in the original game but oh well, pay us even more money."

The content was made after the game was considered 'finished' in an aim in make it better. It was never 'cut out'. Also it is being made free... for collectors edition.

It's not free then is it? Unless collectors edition is the same price as regular one.
If you actually want to believe this was made later go ahead but this is far from the first EA/Bioware game that just 'happens' to have day 1 DLC. This was planned from the very start and they just made up that whole story in an attempt to calm players down.

Even if it is true, so what? The game isnt even out yet! Meaning that what they made should still come as one package. As I said before, if it's not game changing (skins, weapon camos, soundtracks, artwork ect.. Then fine, that's more understandable but a prothean is a huge deal for ME fans and this is abusing their loyalty to the lore.

Blazing Steel:

As oposed to all the other developers who make a game and while the game is classified sit on their arse. They could have easy not made it. Also all the DLC really does is allow you to recruit the dude and do a loyalty type mission, which was the same as every other DLC character so it's in keeping with their business plan. 10 for it? Yea sounds about right for the Mass Effect fan. These are people like me who will play through the game 3-4 times if not more which will add up to aroud a days play time. So for me anyway (the mass effect fan it's aimed at) it's a decent price.

Also untill it comes out we won't know if it's worth 10, so stop getting your panties in a twist untill it's out. If it has HUGE plot significance then we can talk about Bioware being evil.

Wow, I'm sure all those hardworking devs who bring us patches and bug fixes on launch day will love to hear you say that!

Also, I hate the implication I am not a Mass Effect fan. I am btw and I did buy all the dlc I could for the previous games and I have even pre-ordered ME3. But I recognize when I am being jerked around. Consider the Cerberus Network thingy which included Zaeed, which we all got free for supporting Bioware and buying ME2 new. Consider the Stolen Memories DLC which was half the price of this launch day DLC.

also to the people who say "its ok because it was made after the game was finished", well the fact its released at the same time as the game meant it could have been included in the game anyway or if its too late to put it on the disc have it as a free download (ok people with bad internet connections would be screwed over but atleast less would be). and quite frankly what if they made and rpg and made the main quest and then said it was finished, lets release all side quests (which arnt needed as they're side quests) were to be released as day 1 dlc you had to pay for. yes i know thats much more extreme than whats happening with ME3 but if we allow this thats where it may end up

i tend to agree with the original poster they gave people the option to buy a bonus dlc that is included in the collectors edition and as such i dont see it as a standard day 1 dlc. anyone who bothered to check knew from day 1 the collectors edition came with a bonus character and mission. if you saw that and still chose to purchase the standard edition then you have no right to demand you get it for free now.

think yourself lucky that its being offered as all for purchase with the standard edition. it could of quite easiely been limited to the collectors edition.

that said we are going to get another shale, zaeed or kasumi dlc here and its not something that will be essential.

personally i still miss the days of expansions.

*edit* i did laugh at myself defending EA and bioware in this when at this stage it will be the last bioware game i purchase

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked