Peoples thoughts on the recent syndicate game.

So, the games been out nearly a week. Those that are aware of it, what do you think about it?

While its true it has little to do with the original game (besides basic backstory and a few nods here and there). I think its quite good! It doesnt do anything particulary new but its a solid shooter with fun weapons/ abilities.

The story isnt THAT interesting but the world starbreeze have created is great to explore. Its just frustrating that it doesnt capitalise on some of the themes hinted at in the inforbank/ database thingy (TOO much reading in that thing). The term "playing it safe" comes to mind. Co op is great fun as well.

I would very much like to see a sequal sometime in the future ^_^ One with a more engrossing story to go with the interesting world...

I was thinking about buying it but there's no splitscreen.
It looks pretty cool though.

I am enjoying the Single Player, especially after the story really kicks up.

Still haven't gotten a chance to test co-op though. No one I know has it yet, and I don't trust random people.

GonzoGamer:

Yeah the lack of splitscreen is a bummer :( Having online only co op seems a bit silly to me. Oh well, theres still left 4 dead, gears and halo :D

dumbseizure:
I am enjoying the Single Player, especially after the story really kicks up.

Still haven't gotten a chance to test co-op though. No one I know has it yet, and I don't trust random people.

Yeah it did start a bit slow, but gets better :)

No one i know has this game yet so i have been forced to play with randoms. Its turned out ok actually most people online seem to be quite good at the whole "teamwork" thing. Most must be conditioned by L4d i guess! And since the HUD tells you everything you need to know communication can be minimal if it has to be - unlike l4D.

EDIT: Being able to get a load of points by healing/ reviving and using powers to use on upgrades probably helps "teamwork" as well...

daveman247:

GonzoGamer:

Yeah the lack of splitscreen is a bummer :( Having online only co op seems a bit silly to me. Oh well, theres still left 4 dead, gears and halo :D

Not for me: having a ps3 is a bummer too.

daveman247:
Having online only co op seems a bit silly to me.

Blame EA. One of the developers said they if they'd made a Versus mode EA would have made them include online passes. Apparently EA was willing to let the online pass thing slide but only if the online was co-op.

Anyway, I liked the game enough. It was a bit short and kind of buggy but it was fun.

Gorilla Gunk:

daveman247:
Having online only co op seems a bit silly to me.

Blame EA. One of the developers said they if they'd made a Versus mode EA would have made them include online passes. Apparently EA was willing to let the online pass thing slide but only if the online was co-op.

Anyway, I liked the game enough. It was a bit short and kind of buggy but it was fun.

Meh, im quite happy that they went for co op. Im not sure how they would make it stand out if they did vs. It being "silly" i meant that there was a lack of splitscreen! Every co op game needs splitscreen!

I played it and beat it a couple of days ago. The campaign while fun was way to short. I hated how linear the story was. I was hoping I would get to make some decisions like to let certain people live or die.

I would have loved if they would have let the player have downtime and let them walk around and explore the city. I know there are collectibles but I would have liked to have seen some side missions as well.

I notice I need Origin on PC to play it. That's a shame.

I've been watching the game, and it looks pretty good. But there is absolutely no way to justify spending 60 dollars on it (besides Brian "Bitches be Swooning" Cox of course).

It's a really interesting concept, but it's single player sort of demonstrates what's wrong with FPS games nowadays. It's completely linear. It has no Competitive Multiplayer, and a Co Op that doesn't exactly do anything special. It's a really pretty game that you probably won't put more than 12 hours in.

NuclearShadow:
I find it to be a mediocre game. It's not bad by any means but doesn't really shine in any area. I don't see myself taking my time to actually finish the game. Certainly not worth full retail price.

If you skip this game you really aren't missing out on anything.

Well, the weapons and the actual shooting are what shines. Slicing dudes in half with the minigun is good times.

I agree though, nothing new to see here - its just very good at what it does :)

Nothing we haven't see before, though the setting is quite good and the graphics are great. Waaaaaaaay too many bright lights though and the story so far hasn't been worth much. Also, they expect us to read so much during a fast-paced action shooter. Audio logs would be much more effective.

I can't deny that it looks sweet and has some interesting weapons and designs. But why use the Syndicate name if you aren't going to make Syndicate? No matter how good it is, its just an FPS trying to capitalize on using the name of an existing franchise. Why not start it as a new ip and forge your own franchise? It's just gutless. Plus the multiplayer thing.

I completely forgot about.

Also it ain't Syndicate.

MercurySteam:
Nothing we haven't see before, though the setting is quite good and the graphics are great. Waaaaaaaay too many bright lights though and the story so far hasn't been worth much. Also, they expect us to read so much during a fast-paced action shooter. Audio logs would be much more effective.

Very much agreed on the text log thing. I already feel overly rushed in the campaign because the game constantly grades me on mission time, especially because I don't want to miss any collectibles, and then they make us read walls of mini-sized text? Talk about breaking the flow.

I only started playing yesterday and haven't gotten far, but the few levels I've played were fun. Breaching enemies' chips is hilarious, the shooting works reasonably well, and I find the general aesthetic to be quite appealing - some of those outside vistas are breathtaking! Also, the first boss battle was pretty damn cool.
I won't complain about the multiplayer and no-splitscreen issues, because I keep to myself when I play games anyway, I just hope the campaign will last a bit longer than the usual 7-8 hours.

Sonicron:
I just hope the campaign will last a bit longer than the usual 7-8 hours.

It doesn't. In fact, it's less than that. Closer to six hours.

OT: I found it incredibly lacklustre and just utterly soulless.

Gameplay was by-the-numbers and unremarkable in every way. Story was a feeble mess. If you've played a shooter before then you've played this. Don't waste your money, or at least wait till it hits the bargain bin, which I'm guessing won't take long.

Zhukov:

Sonicron:
I just hope the campaign will last a bit longer than the usual 7-8 hours.

It doesn't. In fact, it's less than that. Closer to six hours.

Too bad. Oh well, I only paid 5 Euros to play it, so it's all good... God, I love rental stores. :D

The campaign is pretty rubbish and not worth ones time. It has some great actors that are used to decent effect though.

The co-op is great and quite challanging as you increase difficulty. However it feels almost pointless as you cannot communicate in any way, shape or form with other players to even co-ordinate your efforts. Suggest you only get it if you have friends who play it. Because playing it without friends in a voip program on higher difficulties is impossible as every1 runs around like headless chickens.

Although alot of the random people you get to play with seem to atleast teamwork if only to keep their own asses alive. So it's not like your typical shooter where you run after a medic for 5 mins without him helping you.

As good of a game it might be (I heard the coop was pretty good), it lacks character. Its a shooter with a futuristic setting and some Skrillex song. Games nowadays need memorable settings, characters, moments, just.....anything to make it stand out from the sea of gray/brown shooter garbage we get shoveled in our face like a fat kid at mcdonalds. I have Dues Ex Human Revolution, why do I need another, (more linear, less options, worse story, less thought out world) cyberpunk shooter.

And why does everything need to be remade into a shooter nowadays?

I'm really want to try this game out but it was refused classification in Australia and thus never released. :(

I've been told it's kind of a typical FPS but it looks fun to me.

Kyrian007:
I can't deny that it looks sweet and has some interesting weapons and designs. But why use the Syndicate name if you aren't going to make Syndicate? No matter how good it is, its just an FPS trying to capitalize on using the name of an existing franchise. Why not start it as a new ip and forge your own franchise? It's just gutless. Plus the multiplayer thing.

Agreed. Its already at a disadvantage because it used the name. A lot of people turned their nose up to it because, to them its the ultimate insult - stratergy game to shooter :P

I bet it would have been much more well recieved by people if it kept the name out of it.

As for being burned out on shooters, well, im not! But i tend to keep away from call of duty and i had my fill of battlefield with bad company 2.

Don Savik:
As good of a game it might be (I heard the coop was pretty good), it lacks character. Its a shooter with a futuristic setting and some Skrillex song. Games nowadays need memorable settings, characters, moments, just.....anything to make it stand out from the sea of gray/brown shooter garbage we get shoveled in our face like a fat kid at mcdonalds. I have Dues Ex Human Revolution, why do I need another, (more linear, less options, worse story, less thought out world) cyberpunk shooter.

And why does everything need to be remade into a shooter nowadays?

-Oh, the setting is quite memorable :P
-the song is just a marketing thing - there is barely any wub wub in the actual game.

And no doubt deus ex IS better. But lets be honest - theres barely any cyberepunk games as it is. ONE is not enough!

I have seen and done everything in deus ex and i demand more :P

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked