Research on gaming cyber-attacks of 2011

I am currently writing up a project for my final year at university based on the cyber-attacks on the gaming industry last year (PSN outage, Steam forum hacking, etc).

Part of my project is to gather opinions from gamers affected by these attacks and use it to show the different opinions of gamers.

If you would like to contribute your opinion to this, please answer the following questions below.

Note: Please be respectful in your opinions and don't use abusive language. Thank you!

1. What were your first feelings when you found out that the Playstation Network was taken offline unexpectedly?

2. What were your feelings when Sony revealed that the network had been hacked into and possibly had personal information exposed?

3. What changes did you make to your PSN account (if any) when the network was restored?

4. Do you believe that Anonymous were telling the truth when they claimed that they were not responsible for the outage?

5. What were your feelings when a number of other gaming companies (Bethesda, Nintendo, Square Enix, Epic Games, etc) had their websites hacked into?

6. Why do you think that these gaming companies were targeted by hackers in the first place?

7. Do you think that the gaming companies attacked are now more secure after these incidents?

8. Are you more cautious with what personal information you store on your gaming accounts after these events happened(PSN, XBLA, etc)?

9. Do you think that other gaming companies may get attacked in a similar way in the future?

10. With these attacks that have happened, are you at all nervous or worried about the future of gaming and the industry as a whole?

1. What were your first feelings when you found out that the Playstation Network was taken offline unexpectedly?

Complete apathy.

2. What were your feelings when Sony revealed that the network had been hacked into and possibly had personal information exposed?

"Well, that sucks for them."

3. What changes did you make to your PSN account (if any) when the network was restored?

I don't have one.

4. Do you believe that Anonymous were telling the truth when they claimed that they were not responsible for the outage?

Clearly, you have no idea how Anonymous works. "Anonymous" is a banner that anyone can fall under if they so choose, it just happens that most of the people who do pursue a specific agenda. The PSN hackings were an exception to what they usually do, but since the perpetrator claimed to be Anonymous, then Anonymous is to blame. The Anons who said Anonymous wasn't responsible were probably under the impression that Anonymous is some kind of hive mind, rather than a moniker, which would be false for the most part.

5. What were your feelings when a number of other gaming companies (Bethesda, Nintendo, Square Enix, Epic Games, etc) had their websites hacked into?

Even more apathy than before.

6. Why do you think that these gaming companies were targeted by hackers in the first place?

For teh lulz, of course.

7. Do you think that the gaming companies attacked are now more secure after these incidents?

Probably not.

8. Are you more cautious with what personal information you store on your gaming accounts after these events happened(PSN, XBLA, etc)?

Not really

9. Do you think that other gaming companies may get attacked in a similar way in the future?

Yup. To think otherwise would be naive.

10. With these attacks that have happened, are you at all nervous or worried about the future of gaming and the industry as a whole?

Websites get hacked all the time. A couple of websites getting hacked hacked is in no way an indicator of the direction an industry is headed. To think so would be to believe that a recent scandal regarding Taco Bell's "Win a PSVita" contest is indicative of the fast food industry, which is absurd.

Promethax:
giant snip

Pretty much everything this guy said with a little more apathy. If that's possible.

I thought it was funny. Then again, I'm not part of that.

I still thought it was funny. At first. Then I started feeling rage toward Sony and their inadequate measures to protect the information.

Not applicable - I don't have one.

I suppose. I don't know why they'd lie about it. Usually you want people to know if you've done something on this scale.

Well, that was unfortunate. A little funny too, but unfortunate. Clearly not desirable.

Why not? They are juicy targets and it's a fact that the more "forbidden" something is, the more malicious hackers it attracts. It is an actual issue in computer security - the more secure you (seem) you are, the more people with better and better skills will try to breach that security.

Yes, they must be. At the very least, the security hole that was exploited before had been fixed somehow. But most probably additional security and policies were introduced.

Yes, somewhat. I've never had too much of a faith in them but even less now.

Yes, see answer to question 6. Besides, the success in these attacks can do nothing but encourage more in the future.

No, not really. I don't see them hindering the industry. Some companies may suffer but it would be a risk they are willing to make.

1: Didn't know about it instantly, don't have a PS3

2: Indifference because not affected myself, mixed with a little curiosity ("how could such a big corporation let something like that happen either by "saving" on security or not being on the cutting edge of it)

3: Don't have a PS3, but after the Steam hacking I changed my password on the two other things that had the same PW to something else. Steam still has the same PW.

4: Yes, they were not responsible as an organisation. However, some members may still be involved. Anonymous isn't the only hacker group though, there are many others who may be involved.

5: I didn't notice any of the examples being hacked. However, I got an email from one game reviews website stating that they may or may not have been hacked. It used by lowest priority password and email account (which is used to prevent such cases) and so I didn't do anything against that one.

6: The people were probably out for money either by buying and reselling "Microsoft Points" (is there something like that on PSN?) or by stealing credit card information.

7: I think that after so many big fish have been attacked, many companies increased their security, so yes. However, something as complete security doesn't exist and because more effective security solutions are most likely more expensive, so they could still improve on it.

8: No. However, I have always been very cautious before and often give false information when registering for things. I don't even use Facebook/Google+ beyond having an empty alibi page (communicate with friends via other channels).

9: Yes. There will always be attacks.

10: No, it won't affect the gaming/entertainment industry in a negative way. It will hopefully lead to increased awareness among service providers to better protect themselves and their databases and maybe (one can dream) decrease the amount of data-gathering and the long-term saving and gathering of personal and payment information.

Gotta admit, I had a giggle over it. I don't have a Playstation though, and I'm sure my reaction would have been very different if I had a personal connection to it.

That they should have done their jobs better with respect to security.

None, so didn't have one. When I have experienced other similar situations in the past that did affect me though I've changed passwords, changed linked e-mail addresses, increased security settings on the application where possible and even changed passwords and settings on unrelated accounts just in case.

I guess so - they haven't been shy about claiming other attacks, I don't see why they'd keep this one quiet.

Once again, they should have done their jobs better with respect to security.

Could be any number of reasons - I imagine it's them being a mix of them being soft targets with something valuable to take, but it could just as easily be a gamer-cum-hacker who's disgruntled for any of the million trivial reasons that gamers get disgruntled over these days.

I have absolutely no idea, but I'd certainly hope they'd learned their lesson.

Not as a result of these attacks specifically, and I've always been a little paranoid, but in general yeah I'm even more conscious of it as an issue than I was a few years ago.

I think it's inevitable.

No. This stuff happens in all industries, and none of them have collapsed. I don't see why gaming will be any different.

I appreciate your opinions and I thank you for contributing. Please keep your opinions coming.

I was just curious as to what happened and when it would be back up.

Kind of pissed and a little nervous & curious about who got their hands on what information.

Changed my password and deleted my CC info.

Yes, it might have been someone who worked with them but it sure as hell wasn't them as an entity.

Indifferent since I don't have an account on any of their sites.

They were more than likely easy targets that they picked out.

A little, but not by much.

Yes, like I said, deleted my CC info and only use prepaid cards now.

Of course.

No, this happens to every industry with a presence on the internet.

First thoughts were that they messed up their firmware again. Like the one that let people not play their ps3 games because of an date ;p

It was funny but pretty pissed that they waited about 2 weeks to tell me that they could have my credit card info lost ;p

I really didn't make any, I still use the network and keep about as close as eye as I normally do on my checking account, Online banking is really easy.

I believed it was one or two people like always, and ya they would probably say they are Anonymous anyway.

Welcome to the internet, I actually haven't heard about these companies getting hacked.

Also same as welcome to the internet, people will hack you for no reason or for stupid ones if they have the power and knowledge to.

I'm sure they are paying someone a little better to monitor their website and update the security.

No I'm more cautious about getting charged "legit" charges that they feel they can do and get away with. You know how hard it is to get them to stop a charge they do because something is set somewhere to auto renew ;p

Yes, i'm surprised sony hasn't been attacked yet for being involved in the taco bell vita junk.

10. With these attacks that have happened, are you at all nervous or worried about the future of gaming and the industry as a whole?[/quote]

No someone messing with someone's website is never going to bring a company down unless it's like some flash only game that makes money off advertising. There is very little damage that can actually be done over the internet and we've seen the worst of them so far like sony and steam possibly losing millions of people credit info... and people still want to throw money at them.

DTH1337:

Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude towards Sony, sympathy for the Users.

Don't have one.

Anonymous can be anyone, anywhere at any time, so no. Maybe the core Group didn't, but anyone can claim to be anon, that's probably their biggest problem.

Indifference

For the lolz, but also because they make targets of themselves by treating customers like shit.

Yes, obviously they'll have changed something. That however doesn't mean they are more secure in any meaningful way.

Nope. But then again, I'd never add the kind of data with which someone could actively screw up my finances.

Attacks will always happen, there is no security.

Lol, not because of the attacks

1. Mild disapppointment.
2. Irritated until I found out why, then supported it.
3. Made a new login ID due to a network issue.
4. I always thought it was them and supported their reasonings.
5. Indifferent.
6. Various reasons. Lulsec is an irritating hacker group though. PS3 hack I believe was more due to Sony's latest update that removed advertised features on its release.
7. Not really.
8. Not really, I never really put much information on there as it was.
9. Yep.
10. No.

1) I lol'd
2) I lol'd a bit more
3) dont have one
4) Probably
5) I lol'd
6) "4 teh lulz"
7) yes to those who got hacked and no to everyone else
8) nope but I always have been reasonably cautious anyway
9) probably
10) nope

-I was simply curious as to how Sony would deal with it. I only got a PSP this this year and it wouldn have affected me much anyway. Didn't care much.

-Made me feel good about only linking prepaid cards to online accounts like Xbox Live.

-N/A

-No, I don't trust anything someone without a name or face says.

-I felt it was a random stunt that didn't make any sense. Just fools trying to show off.

-Some were displeased at annoying business practices (Bethesda broken games) and design decisions (FF are linear BS games now), I presume.

-No, technology is on the move and protection is too costly.

-Yes, I would put up even less info than before, prepaid cards, etc.

-There will be fads, waves of attacks and then it will be other targets.

-I feel like the industry itself is making terrible decisions about design and business models so they're probably the most detrimental actor in its possible demise. The attacks will only hurt periodically in response to the worst offenses.

I laughed, not going to lie.

I was a bit shocked that Sony would keep everyone's information on a database that was vulnerable to attack. Many services do not actually store credit card information, etc.

Don't have one.

Anyone can be with Anon if they say they are so it's impossible to say. Despite what they might think Anon is incapable of having a unified voice with definitive representation if they have no tangible structure.

I didn't understand the point of it. Hackers trying to get their fifteen minutes of fame wasn't worth my attention.

They were vulnerable/popular.

Those that were attacked probably are. Others may or may not be.

I don't think Live stores credit card information on their servers (they may), but no, not really. You can always cancel a credit card. I would be far more worried if they had my social security number or something.

Of course, though I doubt any of them will compare to the attack on the PSN. At least not for awhile anyway.

Nope.

Tecnical Issues of somesort and service would be restored soon

outrage that they felt it was right to wait so long before telling us. They were hacked, fine thing happen, but it is not right to keep customers in the dark when there information is at risk.

never had a card hooked up

Yes, annon is generly quick to clame they did things they did or even did not do. They almost never say they did not do something. it also wasint there style, they normal have hords of monkeys banging at the door while a few do some real damage under the commotion.(DDOS MPAA while a few hack the emails)

no real oppinion it was just sorta white noise at this point

Someone thought it was funny at the time

more secure no, more aware of what is going on yes.

I never hook any cards to any account

Yes, but unless they can crack fractal encryption i think we are safe
as gabe put it(we would have more things to worry about with the laws of physics being broken and all that)

at this point it is water under the bridge. I don't think this has set back online sales in any meaningful way at this point as the ease of use outweighs the security risk for many people.

A wee bit shocked

Barely a shock since i never entered my personal details.

None, i forgot the password prior to the outage.

Always had an inkling that they were lying.

Didn't feel a thing.

Because there will always be a hater determined to bring them down.

Probably, yes.

Never stored any personal information, never shall and never will.

Can't really say.

Become a little more nervous.

DTH1337:

[oh no] (I figure what I actually said falls under abusive language)

DTH1337:

Oh well. (I didn't care too much, can always reclaim lost money)

DTH1337:

Nope, still all the same

DTH1337:

Not really. As anon say "anybody can be anonymous" so them saying it wasn't us can't be exactly true can it.

DTH1337:

Sucks to be them. If it doesn't bother me, I'm not bothered by it.

DTH1337:

I assume poor practices, I remember reading somewhere they were targeting all gaming companies except nintendo 'cos they loved the dreamcast. I assume they loved it 'cos it was so easy to play pirated games on (or so I am told by TB)

DTH1337:

Nothing on the internet is secure. If the company that protects government data in America was brought down, do you think Sony has better security than the president?

DTH1337:

Not really, no matter where you put your info on the web it can be found. Ordering shopping or buying off amazon is doesn't matter. The likely hood of being robbed is 1 in billions and I would rather take that risk and be able to order online, than take no risk and can't order online.

DTH1337:

I bet they will, just takes something to piss of the hackers and it will happen. They aren't exactly hard to piss off either.

DTH1337:

Nope. Hackers don't want games to stop being made and with games like COD making billions investors and publishers aren't going to stop making them.

Games have gone from nerds only to your granny playing on the Wii!

Oooh, a questionaire. I'm game! Ahem...

{1} I feel that the act of knocking PSN out was utterly pointless, just making the hackers themselves a big fat target. What do any of these things prove, anyway? Doesn't it seem like fuel for the overly-paranoid to go half-cocked against the gaming and internet community as a whole?

{2} I hadn't volunteered any high-risk information at the time, plus my account - as in bank account - is insured against possible theft, anyway. I can get any transaction which I do not specify as my own reversed, and the perpatrators have exposed themselves in the process.

{3} Beyond having to download their huge security packet, nothing.

{4} The going story is that Lulzsec (or however you spell it) splintered off from their group in an act of predictable descension in the ranks. Anonymous' ideals (all that V For Vendetta stuff) and actions were already failing to line up, and this was a decidedly-strong nail in the coffin. It doesn't matter what loopholes in logic you can bring up with their membership routine. The truth is that they're stuck because there was still a connection. What I believe is unimportant. They'll all be lumped together in reality.

{5} Slap on the wrist, completely ineffective. Even massive damage would be pointless if done by a group unrecognized as the law or some other grand authority. The truth is that the companies are insured, and that they will get money to repair themselves under 'unlawful attack'. Has anything actually changed for the better because of all this? Can anyone quote me a real positive result here? Probably not. As much as government and businesses don't know how to handle piracy, hackers don't understand business and economy.

{6} Oh, you know...the usual. They didn't like their practices, saw them as money-grubbing assholes, etc. That's not to say that at least some of this is somehow false. There ARE some really greedy and STUPID people out there in the industry. That's a given. It's just that this is not the way to handle them. You're making a drop in the bucket, not actually doing long-term harm. A bad business model will still do MUCH MORE DAMAGE than anything Anonymous has ever done, say.

{7} Probably. Since their recovery ticket involves insurance, they're putting somebody else's money to good use. Granted, when you consider how quickly a pirate can break DRM and how many mods to PC games you can find on the internet, you can probably guess that the new security isn't fool-proof. But it probably is better.

{8} You're behind the times. People, myself included, have been cautious as hell for alot longer than the existence of online gaming communities. I'm just following a good trend, watching where the money goes. It's good, practical, and sensible action.

{9} Regarding Anonymous pulling that crap, it has rather swiftly become a desperate cry of "We're still relavent!", rather than actually doing anything useful. Even their recent threat of trying to take out the entire internet is a rage against the dying of their light. At some point, some or many of them have had to realize - taking stock of the situation - that everything they're doing is not DOING anything. It's not a real tribute to Alan Moore, it's not going to save the world, and it's not setting a good example for the future. It has no intrinsic value. Trying to play Aesop with a gun in your hand loses the effect. The world is not like the comic and they are not frigging V, so their actions mean bugger all in the end.

{10} What do you think? SOPA sounded like a kneejerk reaction to stuff like that to me. A little authentic frontier gibberish, "Howard Johnson is right!", and protecting their phoney-baloney jobs and we have this... Hackers without a clue on one side, acting like data-blasting WMDs...and on the other side, governments marching headlong at them with grit and spit and determination. Who runs out of bodies to throw at it first? Doesn't matter, because I'm not on either side of 'em. As a guy who likes to play games, I'm torn between slapping them silly or busting out a bowl of popcorn to watch. Maybe they'll wear each other out so that all of use caught in the middle can take the former option and then WE will be on top. Hope springs eternal...

Once again, I would like to thank everyone who has provided a serious contribution.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Please keep them coming if you would like to contribute.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked