Favorite bonuses that came with a game.

Okay so everyone is bent out of shape (sort of understanably) about the ME3 DLC. So let's talk about the hay-day when games came with extras to make you want to buy them, rather than have DLC to make you ...uh....

Anyway, my favorite bit that came with a game was (off the top of my head there might be better) Final Fantasy Anthology, you got Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy V and a soundtrack CD with some of the games music. It was just a neat little extra to get, may not have been all the songs but it was worth it.
Now they sell both games on PSN for 10 bucks separate.

Runner up would be Sonic 2 came with a big poster of the cover, Robotnik cracking the big 2 with his hand.

So what did you get with a game that you really liked? I want to say Collectors Editions don't count but, eh whatever goes!

When I brought Dead Rising 2 there was a special offer from amazon UK to get a free t-shirt.

It was a cool shirt but 2 sizes too small for me so I sold it on ebay and got 25 for it. Pretty good for a free shirt.

DrRockor:
When I brought Dead Rising 2 there was a special offer from amazon UK to get a free t-shirt.

It was a cool shirt but 2 sizes too small for me so I sold it on ebay and got 25 for it. Pretty good for a free shirt.

Oh that is cool, I'm surprised. We had one for DR1 and I believe it was a big blue shirt with a shopping cart with weapons in it in silhouette.

When I bought the Witcher 2, I got everything for free, including an upgrade to the Enhanced Edition, as well as all DLC, a map and a DVD with all the special features for the price of a regular PC game.

Soviet Heavy:
When I bought the Witcher 2, I got everything for free, including an upgrade to the Enhanced Edition, as well as all DLC, a map and a DVD with all the special features for the price of a regular PC game.

Sounds like when I got ME2 CE for PC for 60 bucks which was the cost of the standard Xbox edition at the time. But that is cool, how is the Witcher? It looked interesting but I never grabbed it.

Snotnarok:

Soviet Heavy:

Sounds like when I got ME2 CE for PC for 60 bucks which was the cost of the standard Xbox edition at the time. But that is cool, how is the Witcher? It looked interesting but I never grabbed it.

Tricky to describe. It's worth checking out if you want something different, but it has a steep learning curve. The 2.0 update added a tutorial and an arena mode to practice the rather difficult combat, but I'd suggest waiting for the Enhance Edition Update. Then you can buy the 360 version if you use the console.

The biggest issue is the targeting system, which tends to be rather sticky and keep to one enemy. However, the Enhanced Edition is apparently looking into fixing this, so it remains to be seen. It's a very beautiful game, but it is hardware intensive.

If you're looking for something different, and want to try your hand at a European styled RPG, I'd say check it out. It starts off in medias res, but enough of the first game is summarized that you don't feel too out of place.

Soviet Heavy:

Snotnarok:

Soviet Heavy:

Tricky to describe. It's worth checking out if you want something different, but it has a steep learning curve. The 2.0 update added a tutorial and an arena mode to practice the rather difficult combat, but I'd suggest waiting for the Enhance Edition Update. Then you can buy the 360 version if you use the console.

The biggest issue is the targeting system, which tends to be rather sticky and keep to one enemy. However, the Enhanced Edition is apparently looking into fixing this, so it remains to be seen. It's a very beautiful game, but it is hardware intensive.

If you're looking for something different, and want to try your hand at a European styled RPG, I'd say check it out. It starts off in medias res, but enough of the first game is summarized that you don't feel too out of place.

Fair enough, I'll give it a look one day. I don't think the requirements will be a problem, I run ME2 at high and BF3 at mostly high settings, but thanks for the heads up! :)

I only get opt for bonus content if it comes at no extra charge i.e., the collectors edition of Dark Souls.

I bought Tekken 5 (or was it 6?) for $60 new on Amazon. It came with an arcade stick and an art book. I bought it mainly for the arcade stick as I traded the game in a week later. Pretty sweet deal.

Snotnarok:

Soviet Heavy:

Snotnarok:

Fair enough, I'll give it a look one day. I don't think the requirements will be a problem, I run ME2 at high and BF3 at mostly high settings, but thanks for the heads up! :)

Skyrim is probably a better test for if you pc can run the witcher 2's graphics. I say you shouldn't get it though. I agree with most of Yahtzee's review but you can skip the scene before the boss with space + right click. It might be my grafics card but Geralt is extremely unresponsive.

I know it's an in-game alteration, but I'm quite fond of the Honor Guard Wraith that came with Halo Wars. Nothing contradicts "we're serious" quite like pimped-out wraiths backed by a Wuv Woo scarab. And then there's the Legendary Edition of Halo: Reach, with the sweet journal and statuette of Noble Team.

Also, I got this t-shirt as what I'm retroactively viewing more-or-less as a consolation for pre-ordering The Force Unleashed for the Wii.

The soundtrack with Persona 4 and the longest journey special edition was nice but anything extra that comes with a game is always welcome (unless its a virus or poisonous spider or something).

A bit off topic but my favourite pointless free gift ever was a Ghost in the Shell stand alone complex 2 t-shirt that came with the steel box and DVD 1 of the second season dont know why its nothing special but I still wear it whenever I can get away with it.

C F:
I know it's an in-game alteration, but I'm quite fond of the Honor Guard Wraith that came with Halo Wars. Nothing contradicts "we're serious" quite like pimped-out wraiths backed by a Wuv Woo scarab. And then there's the Legendary Edition of Halo: Reach, with the sweet journal and statuette of Noble Team.

Also, I got this t-shirt as what I'm retroactively viewing more-or-less as a consolation for pre-ordering The Force Unleashed for the Wii.

COol shirt, out of context though it looks like he's just slipping or something haha. Or like that poor trooper who banged his head on the way into that room in the movie.

The_Lost_King:

Snotnarok:

Soviet Heavy:

Skyrim is probably a better test for if you pc can run the witcher 2's graphics. I say you shouldn't get it though. I agree with most of Yahtzee's review but you can skip the scene before the boss with space + right click. It might be my grafics card but Geralt is extremely unresponsive.

My PC handles Skyrim very well, well my friend has 1 I think so, maybe a borrow and a demo would be good. Thanks for the heads up!

OT: Not a lot of people seem to have game bonuses, or just no one likes posting in my threads :P come on doesn't someone have a poster they really like at least? Or is everyone sour still about ME3

Snotnarok:

The_Lost_King:

Snotnarok:

My PC handles Skyrim very well, well my friend has 1 I think so, maybe a borrow and a demo would be good. Thanks for the heads up!

OT: Not a lot of people seem to have game bonuses, or just no one likes posting in my threads :P come on doesn't someone have a poster they really like at least? Or is everyone sour still about ME3

you're welcome and games don't really give out alot of bonuses except for preorder which is usually dlc.

The possibility of gaining the satisfaction of murdering Hitler in the face certainly appeals to me.

When I pre-ordered Persona 3 Portable I got a Junpei hat. I expected it to be made of the cheapest material possible and have one of those stupid sharp edged plastic clasps in the back.

But it's actually a pretty nice hat with a fun little metal clasp in the back, and I still wear it around every now and then.

Also Secret Agent Clank gave me a Clank figurine that I'm rather fond of. I'm just sad that the game wasn't very good (the parts of that game where you actually play as Clank we a lot of fun, but the Ratchet arena scenes killed it for me)

the cybersniff 2000 from Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail! probably one of the most whackiest special items for a game i have seen...

it was some sort of "scratch and sniff" paper which provided aromas for selected locations and scenes (and as far as i remember one of the smells was shit...)

The_Lost_King:

Snotnarok:

The_Lost_King:

you're welcome and games don't really give out alot of bonuses except for preorder which is usually dlc.

Well now-a-days yeah but not aways, there's no time limit here haha I talked about Sonic 2.

I didn't know that Skyward Sword would come with a 25th Anniversary CD with Orchestral versions of their greatest hits. As soon as I saw it, I dropped everything and played it start to finish. Damn, it was good. I usually don't get music, but I would totally have gone out of my way to get my hands on that, and I got it gratis.

probably oblivion/skyrim coming with a map to stick on the wall, its a small touch but an appreciated one <3

past that... the DAO ultamite edition, all DLC, frankly a very worthy buy considering I never picked up the game when the real release came out

I really loved the Plasma Cutter that came with the special edition of Dead Space 2. I have small hands; perfect sized for me to creep around the house with at night and pretend to shoot the dog when he jumps out at me. >:3

I also think that metal cases for games are really awesome. I only have one (Marvel vs. Capcom 3) and I like taking it out just to look at it sometimes.

I think every copy of Persona 4 came with a CD so that was awesome.

That soundtrack was what got me to love Shoji Meguro's music.

Over 20 posts already and still no mention of the actual, lifesize, steel sword that came with the Two Worlds preorder? You guys are missing out...
http://www.kitrae.net/fantasy/uc1120_B_ad.html

It was the one on the bottom right.

Any game that doesn't have DRM!

Ha, just kidding. The Fable 3 collector's edition came with a ... ah fuck it I'm just going to google it:

I only have 3 or 4 collector's editions and this is probably the coolest thing I've ever gotten in one of them.

Snotnarok:
Okay so everyone is bent out of shape (sort of understanably) about the ME3 DLC. So let's talk about the hay-day when games came with extras to make you want to buy them, rather than have DLC to make you ...uh....

Anyway, my favorite bit that came with a game was (off the top of my head there might be better) Final Fantasy Anthology, you got Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy V and a soundtrack CD with some of the games music. It was just a neat little extra to get, may not have been all the songs but it was worth it.
Now they sell both games on PSN for 10 bucks separate.

Runner up would be Sonic 2 came with a big poster of the cover, Robotnik cracking the big 2 with his hand.

So what did you get with a game that you really liked? I want to say Collectors Editions don't count but, eh whatever goes!

I still think "Ultima IV" was my favorite, this was before the greedy arse collector's editions, long before, game producers really wanted to put out a cool product and reward their fans. Opening that box and finding that you had a seperate spellbook, loreguide, and command card, and a little metal ankh all wrapped up in a cloth map of the world you were going to play in.... It was awesome, especially for the day.

To be honest I get kind of annoyed about how today you usually get the game and little else, I mean you rarely even get an instruction book anymore, never mind one that people actually took the time to do artwork for. I have fond memories of the interior artwork of things like "Wizardry: Bane Of The Cosmic Forge" and "Wizardry: Crusaders Of The Dark Savant" never mind the crude, but somehow endearing illustrations in the instruction books for the first Might And Magic game.

It would be nice if game producers went back to actually providing a high quality product overall. Right now in a lot of cases it seems to me that you pay $20 or more extra for a collector's edition that winds up seeming like it has less stuff in it than what you used to get packed into the box of a really epic game, and what stuff there just seems to lack the same kind of heart. I mean someone put some real work into packing up the ultima IV box interiors with the pins, and designing the books with the translatable runes on the cover and everything... nobody seems to give much of a crap anymore.

Of course then again to be fair, even Lord British stopped being awesome after a while. I remember being excited when I bought the "Dragon Edition" for Ultima Ascension, not only was the game a bit of a mess (even more disappointing than Pagan) but the extpensive "extras" like the Tarot cards were just... well garbage, especially for the price paid. It was nice to finally have a set of the cards used in the game for a long time, but it would have been nice if for what he decided to start charging he at least created some actual quality cards as opposed to something that might have been cut out of the flimsy back cover of a kid's activity book.

Like usual I'm getting less and less relevent, but yes, I have to give it to Ultima IV, I'd say a hail to Lord British, but he seemed to sell out like everyone else, abandoned the true Brittania, sold out to UO, and started shooting himself up into space rather than developing games. I'd love to think we might get him back with some of his recent annoucements, but really I don't think he'll ever be the guy who had me worshipping his every RPG when i was a kid hunched over my C-64 again. Sadly I think Lord British selling out was one of the turning points for the entire gaming industry. :/

Red Dead redemption comes with a kickass poster of bonnie Mcfarlane..I mean seriously standard games thease days dont even come with a manuel let alone an awsome poster (also got a nice zombie one from undead nightmare) makes me love Rocktar a little more

as for collectors..I friggen LOVE the statue I got of cole, (and the actual box it pretty sweet too) and the backpack..Ive never had an opertunity to use it but If I ever go hiking or trekking in post-apocaliptic Australia I'll use it

also the kickass Batman statue from Arkham cty....and you even get a cool movie,

the thing that annoys me with collectors in "in-game" stuff...first Im not interested, I dont buy collectors for pixels and I cant be bothered downloading it anway

I dont often come across cool stuff that comes with the game..so I buy actions figures to make up for that

Fallout has always given good loot. A lunchbox, a bobblehead, a platinum chip.
My favorite is prolly Nathan Drakes ring. I wear it all the time c:

I still use my pre-order Fallout 3 Nuka-Cola bottle opener. Therefore, it's my favorite bonus ever. I can open a bottle of beer, play Fallout, then use it to open another bottle of beer. I can be visiting my brother, and use it to open a bottle of beer. I can be relaxing after a day of work, and use it to open a bottle of beer. It's the gift that never stops giving. Plus it says Nuka-Cola on it. I had a bottle opener before, but it didn't say Nuka-Cola on it, and it wasn't a magnet.

Well the most use I've gotten out of a CE item is the Starkiller USB drive I got with The Force Unleashed 2 collectors edition. I've got more use out of it than I have the game.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked