sex ruining games?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

targren:

Goofguy:

It's hard for me to take a reviewer seriously when the 'Appropriateness' factor makes up 50% of the total score.

You have impressive mental stamina, my friend. My mind recoiled from it as soon as I saw "Christ Centered Gamer." Same conclusion, though. ;)

I read that review and the sad thing despite the bias an odd scoring system, it's actually a more balanced and professional review than your average IGN-style OMG THIS IS TEH BEST GAME EVAR!!! "review".

Back on topic, sex, like any element, can ruin your enjoyment a game if it's inappropriate, badly handled and obviously there to pander to an audience. For the most part this is how sex is in most games that feature it, IMHO.

targren:

rje5:
Sort of off topic but I think putting sex into games, or movies, or TV is a sign of a lack of creativity and immaturity. When I'm watching or playing something, I don't want my fiancÚ to have to see titties all over the place. All it is, is a way to sucker young kids into buying it. And I personally find it insulting. Most of the time the nudity doesn't even make sense in the story. I play games to be entertained and have fun, not to have virtual sex or see virtual nudity, that's stupid.

Yeah, because it's not, like, the single most basic driving force of our entire species, or anything. It's clearly immature and uncreative to have characters actually acting like real people.

Go play Dante's Inferno and tell me where you've seen a giant lady with massive tits and spew out demon's in real life. And tell me how that adds to the story. Tell me how that's entertaining. In L.A. Noire, tell me why 4 or so murder victims were left completely naked and some weren't. Why couldn't they just cover them up like the other ones? It wasn't necessary. Show me anywhere in real life where there are tits growing out of the walls and people walk up and slap them like in Duke Nukem. This isn't creative design, it's immature and a ploy to get young men to buy games. Why would anyone release Dead of Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball? No one buys video games about playing volleyball. But throw skinny girls with huge tits with jiggle physics into it and it'll sell because boys can't help themselves.

EDIT: Also I saw another post of your saying I said "everyone who uses nudity is bad". I did not say that. I said "most of the time it doesn't even relate to the story" or add anything. The scene from Mass Effect wasn't bad. You can imply sex or nudity without actually having to show it. People play games to get lost in another world. Let the player use their imagination to fill in the gaps, especially for nonessential plot points.

Ryanrulez5:
does anyone else sex and usually suck or have bad mass it got good but fox it because it showed it rated 12 anyone else my theroy?

I didn't know this site had genuine comedy trollin' . Thank you so much for this.

The fact that sex is still considered a controversy in gaming depresses me.

Well it's a topic that games have only really begun to approach and use in their storylines. It's just that writers/designers are still figuring out the ways that are okay and not okay to use it in the game. For instance, in Mass Effect where Shephard could form a relationship as an optional story arc, that was a good use. Catherine also had a pretty solid (if completely fucking bizarre) story, and sex and sexuality did play a large role in it.

Now, Duke Nukem, on the other hand, is an example of a game that uses it poorly. I don't think I need to explain why. (Although Duke Nukem 3D was an excellent game despite that)

No, but I do think that shit-tastic story telling and mediocre drama ruin games.

rje5:

Go play Dante's Inferno and tell me where you've seen a giant lady with massive tits and spew out demon's in real life. And tell me how that adds to the story. Tell me how that's entertaining.

Ah, see, there's the problem. You're conflating "nudity" with "sex." The two are completely separate things. I assume you're talking about Cleopatra? If anyone found her sexually arousing, I'm pretty sure they're a disturbed individual. On the other hand, the game is based on a combination of classical style and Middle Ages Christian Dogma, an archaic and backwards code that included concepts like "nothing unclothed can be good." So why WOULD evil demons wear clothes? With a proper background knowledge, you see, it DOES add to the setting (not that DI had much of a story anyway, but it's a video game we're talking about).

You might want to expand your experience in art and literature before you start throwing around judgments like that, because you're telling us far more about yourself than you are about the game.

A game which, BTW, was clearly marked "Rated M: Violence, Nudity, Sexual Content"[1], so why did you play it? It's not like all of these issues weren't being screamed about before the game was even released. You really can't claim ignorance on this one unless you were both living under a rock, and unable to read the box.

EDIT: Also I saw another post of your saying I said "everyone who uses nudity is bad". I did not say that. I said "most of the time it doesn't even relate to the story" or add anything.

You actually said "it's uncreative and immature." I'm pretty sure there is no writer or artist who would actually consider those "good" qualities, and it was plain from context that you don't, either.

The scene from Mass Effect wasn't bad. You can imply sex or nudity without actually having to show it. People play games to get lost in another world. Let the player use their imagination to fill in the gaps, especially for nonessential plot points.

Why should they? Just because YOU want it hidden from you doesn't mean everyone does.

[1] Based on the assumption that you're in the US based on what you're bitching about. AIUI, Europe seems to have mostly bred out the sort of prudishness that still permeates US society

All the sex I'm having sure doesn't ruin games. *wink* *wink*

Sex only makes things better. If a game with nudity sucks, it's not because of the nudity.

Anthraxus:
You think it's just a coincidence that the focus has moved away from deeper rpg mechanics/elements/combat systems to these interactive movies with romances ? I don't think so.

Which kind of annoys me too... probably a good reason why I have not truely loved a BioWare game.

There's still good RPGs out there with out the romantic fluff, though. Fortunately.

Not that I think all games with some romance is bad (worked well in Heavy Rain IMO), but it feels pretty force fed in BioWare games.

Wolfram01:

Not that I think all games with some romance is bad (worked well in Heavy Rain IMO), but it feels pretty force fed in BioWare games.

Not that I disagree with you, but IMO, that applies to MOST of the writing in Bioware games. Maybe I've read too many actual, well-written stories. :)

It can affect a game a good bit.

In the Witcher its so poorly voiced, animated, and done with so MUCH CHEESE that I literally burst out laughing at now horrendous they were.
Then Origins...I wanted to burn my own eyes out.

Mass Effect 1 had tasteful nudity in it, and the sex added to it.

However...when you just shove blatant sex appeal into stuff ...like say ME3 is so doing with Ashley asstastic armor,then its just dumb.

One reason I liked DA2 is that they had Aveline in it. Who did not run around dressed stupidly or for blatant sex appeal. They had Isabela for that.

Why should they? Just because YOU want it hidden from you doesn't mean everyone does.

Look I never said I don't play games because there's nudity in them. The only game I listed that I didn't play was Duke Nukem. I'm not some person on a high horse. I'm against killing, but I play games where I kill people. I don't confuse my morals with what can be entertaining. I don't not watch movies because there's a little nudity, like in Boondock Saints. But when it's in your face the whole time, that's when it's annoying and uncomfortable for a lot of people.

My thing is, why would I want to play something I would feel uncomfortable playing in front on my fiance or parents? You can do things tastefully, but a lot of games just put everything in your face. And it is uncreative and immature. Only a kid wants to see stuff like that in a game. There's a difference between wanting to see it, and not being offended by it, and the reason they do it is because people want it, and that's what I don't understand.

Video games are supposed to fulfill a fantasy, or let you explore a world different that the one you inhabit. I, and most adults, shouldn't need sex or nudity in games, because it's something they can have in real life. I can't (or at least won't) shoot people, steal cars, explore space, or live in the wild west in real life. Video games let me do that.

The only one of my examples you defended was the one in Dante's Inferno, and I'm pretty sure Cleopatra wasn't 500 feet tall and spewing demons out of her nipples, so I don't care about old literature because they weren't exactly sticking to the script. My problem isn't with nudity, it's with the way they incorporate it in this particular medium. I understand why you thought I was bashing all sex and nudity and I've clarified my stance. You don't have to agree and that's your choice and you're allowed to have it. This is my opinion because I love video games and defending them, but some things are getting harder and harder to defend.

rje5:

My thing is, why would I want to play something I would feel uncomfortable playing in front on my fiance or parents? You can do things tastefully, but a lot of games just put everything in your face. And it is uncreative and immature. Only a kid wants to see stuff like that in a game. There's a difference between wanting to see it, and not being offended by it, and the reason they do it is because people want it, and that's what I don't understand.

Again, sex and nudity are two different things, and your statement above (emphasis mine) is absolutely incorrect. I am not a kid, and haven't been for quite a long time, but I don't want some white-washed and sanitized experience, and neither do many other people.

Video games are supposed to fulfill a fantasy, or let you explore a world different that the one you inhabit. I, and most adults, shouldn't need sex or nudity in games, because it's something they can have in real life.

Clearly you've never been married. ;)

The only one of my examples you defended was the one in Dante's Inferno, and I'm pretty sure Cleopatra wasn't 500 feet tall and spewing demons out of her nipples, so I don't care about old literature because they weren't exactly sticking to the script.

No, they weren't sticking with the script, but they WERE sticking with the concept. Have you ever READ Dante's Inferno? The actual one written by the old Italian guy? The forms of the souls of the damned WERE changed in it, in manners that reflected their great sins.

As for the it being the only one of your examples I defended, it's the only one I can. I never played L.A. Noire, so I can't speak of it. Depending on the nature of the killer, though, there's likely some justification for it, even there, that you're not seeing.

DNF would have been insipid and childish even if every middle-school style sex joke and bare boob was omitted from it, which makes it, as an example, what we call "low-hanging fruit."

You don't have to agree and that's your choice and you're allowed to have it. This is my opinion because I love video games and defending them, but some things are getting harder and harder to defend.

It doesn't need to be defended, and that's not what you're doing. You're attacking and insulting a style you personally dislike, and using unreasonable and unsubstantiated arguments in doing so.

[quote="targren" post="9.352484.13983643"][quote="rje5" post="9.352484.13983573"]
As for the it being the only one of your examples I defended, it's the only one I can. I never played L.A. Noire, so I can't speak of it. Depending on the nature of the killer, though, there's likely some justification for it, even there, that you're not seeing.

In L.A Noire the whole homocide episode of the game involves tracking down an apparent copycat killer who turns out to be the same guy who commited the Black Dahlia murder. So the nudity is there for continuity with his M.O.
Other than this I don't recall any other obvious uses of nudity.

And apparently I'm no good at selecting certain bits of quotes!

tmande2nd:
I
Mass Effect 1 had tasteful nudity in it, and the sex added to it.

Mass Effect 1? Good sex scenes?

It can be used well and terribly. Catherine is a good example of cleavage based game-play with a unique form of puzzle gaming and an interesting and funny story about dating an up-tight snob and a hoe. In contrast there's Duke Nukem Forever which is pretty much a giant stew of steaming crap with some tits floating on top.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked