Bioware forums explode as Mass Effect 3 ending details are leaked. *MINOR SPOILERS*

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 NEXT

I only just in the past month or two played Mass Effect and ME2...but the way things looked at the end of 2, I honestly dont see how an overall positive ending is even possible...point blank (without knowing the specifics) i get the vibe that trillions die in the process and even then the reapers will still probably win. V____V

Aryn2382:
'leaked' content does not necessarily constitute 'all' of the content, unless it's verified and stated. One thing I've noticed is BioWare has come out very quiet about this, and the fact someone mentioned that the 'good' endings, the genuinely good endings will show once the game is officially patched and released. Given the patch already set to land? Yeah.

I'm hoping the same thing.

What source do you have for the "good endings"? Also I believe the day 1 patch is just fix for a bug that affects a small section of the ending.

There's one thing everyone seems to be forgetting - the ME universe has unassisted FTL travel - and it's pretty damn fast, 12 lightyears per day. Sure, you have to plan your route pretty damn carefully, so you don't run out of fuel and have plenty of planets to get rid of the static charge, but it's still far from "confined to the local system". Unless of course they destroy all mass effect technology (which is all technology), but it's a whole other level of dark age-ry.

Buzzkillington:
But then again I might be wrong and all the Rachni might very well drop dead in the first minute of ME3.

Don't worry about that.

I won't lie. Day one DLC, Chobot, CE nonsense, decisions barely amounting to more than an "email" on ME2, now this... which I've really been trying to avoid finding out about anyway.... my butt was hurt, but now I just feel numb about the whole thing.

From a literary standpoint, knowing only what I do (if true), this is a massive disappointment. I don't expect an epic yarn with an epic end, but an ending like this only proves how invalid a story really can be to a series, however good, the severity of the ending and what it means only punctuated further by virtue of this being a role-playing game, a genre that is generally highly story-driven (pr at least more so than most other genres).

I really feel slapped, but I just can't bring myself to care anymore.

Buzzkillington:
Don't worry about that.

Kahunaburger:
"BAAAWWWWW! I can't ride off into the sunset with my space waifu!"

You win the internet sir, this is all that needs to be said.

Waaghpowa:

Kahunaburger:

Actually, no it's not. Also, firing back at detractors with a comment chalk full of stupid doesn't make your stance any more concrete. Honestly, I could give a flying frick about the chick with the Mask or the "Hawt" blue alien transgender woman. *This* is why BioWare has ****'ed the fanbase:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGvA5Qre5Y&context=C36e3c9aADOEgsToPDskKHk6nfuVgWgHu-Ml94HsY8

If you want to do the whole Greek Tragedy thing. Fine. However, don't give me some pretentious half-ass The Matrix Revolutions, BSG, and Lost rip-off ending and tell me that was how this was all supposed to come together in the end. ME1-ME2 was a heroic science fiction space opera (i.e. Star Wars) where those willing to work hard for it got an ending that matched up with how they played the game. Pulling endings like the one in the link, or even ****'ing retarded plot devices, out of one's ass completely negating everything you've done up to that point is a blatant bend over with out even the courtesy of a reach around and all because the game's lead writer wanted to try for an Oscar with some bullshit Art-House film, bullshit quasi philosophical ending. *That* is why the forums exploded, not your lame "Ah look at da nerdz" pun.

roguewriter:

Waaghpowa:

Kahunaburger:

Actually, no it's not. Also, firing back at detractors with a comment chalk full of stupid doesn't make your stance any more concrete. Honestly, I could give a flying frick about the chick with the Mask or the "Hawt" blue alien transgender woman. *This* is why BioWare has ****'ed the fanbase:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGvA5Qre5Y&context=C36e3c9aADOEgsToPDskKHk6nfuVgWgHu-Ml94HsY8

If you want to do the whole Greek Tragedy thing. Fine. However, don't give me some pretentious half-ass The Matrix Revolutions, BSG, and Lost rip-off ending and tell me that was how this was all supposed to come together in the end. ME1-ME2 was a heroic science fiction space opera (i.e. Star Wars) where those willing to work hard for it got an ending that matched up with how they played the game. Pulling endings like the one in the link, or even ****'ing retarded plot devices, out of one's ass completely negating everything you've done up to that point is a blatant bend over with out even the courtesy of a reach around and all because the game's lead writer wanted to try for an Oscar with some bullshit Art-House film, bullshit quasi philosophical ending. *That* is why the forums exploded, not your lame "Ah look at da nerdz" pun.

Id suggest you proofread your posts, getting through yours was a slog.
In any case, the message from the bsn forums has been overwhelmingly "SPACE WAIFUU DONOOOO......... NOOOOO!!!!"

SurfinTaxt:

roguewriter:

Waaghpowa:

In any case, the message from the bsn forums has been overwhelmingly "SPACE WAIFUU DONOOOO......... NOOOOO!!!!"

My apologies, I didn't mean to inconvenience you by forcing you to engage in the cancer that is reading more then one sentence. I'll be sure to keep in mind that it's quite the strain for you. As to the BSN forums, perhaps in one or two threads (primarily the Romance oriented ones) the complaints stem from a lack of satisfaction in not being able to partake of the proverbial "White Picket Fence" ending.

However, threads initiated under the General and Story categories focused almost solely on the mediocre endings which did nothing to adequately resolve "the story." Few, if any, even focused on the fate of particular love interests. Again, using over-exuberant Tali or Liara fans as an excuse to "prove" arguments against BioWare's narrative approach lack justification only make those who use said tactic appear almost, if not more so, immature and ignorant then those they are attempting to denounce.

Also, if this outrage was based solely on contempt for the treatment of Love Interests or, as you so "eloquently" phrased it, "Waifuu," then there should have been no reason why BioWare would shut down the BSN shortly after links began appearing (in the spoiler permitted threads) showcasing one or all of the endings, as featured above. What was there to hide if the outrage is simply the result of scorned romancers?

Also, as of today, especially in light of these new videos, forums across the board from here at Escapist to 4Chan and elsewhere continue to swell with the ranks of those who haven't permitted themselves to become the quintessential "BioDrones" that will blindly purchase this game despite it's now critical narrative flaws.

roguewriter:

SurfinTaxt:

roguewriter:

My apologies, I didn't mean to inconvenience you by forcing you to engage in the cancer that is reading more then one sentence. I'll be sure to keep in mind that it's quite the strain for you. As to the BSN forums, perhaps in one or two threads (primarily the Romance oriented ones) the complaints stem from a lack of satisfaction in not being able to partake of the proverbial "White Picket Fence" ending.

However, threads initiated under the General and Story categories focused almost solely on the mediocre endings which did nothing to adequately resolve "the story." Few, if any, even focused on the fate of particular love interests. Again, using over-exuberant Tali or Liara fans as an excuse to "prove" arguments against BioWare's narrative approach lack justification only make those who use said tactic appear almost, if not more so, immature and ignorant then those they are attempting to denounce.

Also, if this outrage was based solely on contempt for the treatment of Love Interests or, as you so "eloquently" phrased it, "Waifuu," then there should have been no reason why BioWare would shut down the BSN shortly after links began appearing (in the spoiler permitted threads) showcasing one or all of the endings, as featured above. What was there to hide if the outrage is simply the result of scorned romancers?

Also, as of today, especially in light of these new videos, forums across the board from here at Escapist to 4Chan and elsewhere continue to swell with the ranks of those who haven't permitted themselves to become the quintessential "BioDrones" that will blindly purchase this game despite it's now critical narrative flaws.

No I'm plenty capable of reading more than a sentence, its just that the way you write you say very little with a lot.

Just read the part I bolded out loud... See what I mean? I honestly dont know what you're trying to say there.

Sorry I know Im being a dick

3 games just to get doom and gloom endings =/ i have friends that play their shephard characters to specific morals and they will be mighty pissed when they find their character will probably die.

roguewriter:

SurfinTaxt:

roguewriter:

I'm sorry....but the thread on the boards had been up and running for 2-3 days before BioWare shut down the forums for maintenance. And the endings have been leaked for a while now. They have been extensively discussed in that thread. Why would they wait so long to shut it down, if they shut it down because of that?

Just throwing that out.

Don't really care about the rest. XD

Edit: Oh, and the forums just came up again and the thread is untouched. So much for the conspiracy. ;)

The weirdest part for me about all this complaining is that, when you get right down to it, it's essentially a whole bunch of people whining that they're not getting the magical macguffin that they wanted.

Because anyone who thought that this whole thing was going to end in some giant, climactic space battle where Space Jesus Shepard destroys the Reapers with his particle-beam penis is, for lack of a better phrase, kinda dumb.

BelmontWolf:
3 games just to get doom and gloom endings =/ i have friends that play their shephard characters to specific morals and they will be mighty pissed when they find their character will probably die.

Everybody dies.

...incidentally, this is the thing I don't get about the backlash. The fact that Shep doesn't end up living in the space suburbs with his/her space waifu and their blue children doesn't invalidate the fact that Shep kinda sorta saves the galaxy.

Raesvelg:
Because anyone who thought that this whole thing was going to end in some giant, climactic space battle where Space Jesus Shepard destroys the Reapers with his particle-beam penis is, for lack of a better phrase, kinda dumb.

Considering what we have seen so far in the series, it would not have been totally unexpected.

MrPeanut:

Raesvelg:

Considering what we have seen so far in the series, it would not have been totally unexpected.

You obviously haven't been playing the same games that I have. Because what I saw in the series was that no civilization in the galaxy had ever defeated the Reapers through force of arms, and that included situations where weapons of literally planet-shattering power had been deployed.

Kahunaburger:

go to the Bioware forums and look at the Mass Effect 3 spoiler thread. You can't miss it.

Done.

Reading reactions...

Angry biodrones everywhere :D

The general reaction:

Can you get some general examples? That would be great, thanks.
EDIT: Seriously, I checked and it was just sadly resigned rather than the flamewar I had been hoping for.

Wait....how do you ride off into a sunset....in SPACE?!?!

Kahunaburger:

BelmontWolf:

Everybody dies.

...incidentally, this is the thing I don't get about the backlash. The fact that Shep doesn't end up living in the space suburbs with his/her space waifu and their blue children doesn't invalidate the fact that Shep kinda sorta saves the galaxy.

I know. I mean, the first game established that you are facing badass genocide machines that never fail. Did anyone really expect there to be a perfect ending? Losing or a victory with very heavy losses seems like the only way to do it that makes sense.

You see that? That's on the first page of the spoilers thread that was linked in the first couple pages of this thread. That is the type of person ruining video games.

Look, for the sake of keeping things simple, people are raging not just because they can't live happily ever after with their Waifuu in her mask, or out of her mask, or whatever; they're raging because it's like the game took a sharp turn off a cliff in regards to it's story's conclusion.

Mass Effect was built up to be, essentially, Star Wars for a new generation with the first two games providing these big heroic endings. I've got no problem with loss in a game if it's building towards a sense of that, you know? However, ME never did that. It was never Red Dead Redemption where you got a sense of, "Oh, wow, I bet the family he's trying so hard to save leaves him," or "This ain't going to end well," in general.

In Mass Effect it just seemed a given that you would be able to save the galaxy, help build a new government, and so forth. But having this bizarre Deus Ex Machina ending pulled out of no-where and having the Heroes all be effed over just seems like a plainly stupid attempt to elevate the game from Sci-Fi Blockbuster to Art-House film with a massive budget. There's legitimate reason to be put out more so then just crappy resolutions to romancing aliens.

roguewriter:
Look, for the sake of keeping things simple, people are raging not just because they can't live happily ever after with their Waifuu in her mask, or out of her mask, or whatever; they're raging because it's like the game took a sharp turn off a cliff in regards to it's story's conclusion.

Mass Effect was built up to be, essentially, Star Wars for a new generation with the first two games providing these big heroic endings. I've got no problem with loss in a game if it's building towards a sense of that, you know? However, ME never did that. It was never Red Dead Redemption where you got a sense of, "Oh, wow, I bet the family he's trying so hard to save leaves him," or "This ain't going to end well," in general.

In Mass Effect it just seemed a given that you would be able to save the galaxy, help build a new government, and so forth. But having this bizarre Deus Ex Machina ending pulled out of no-where and having the Heroes all be effed over just seems like a plainly stupid attempt to elevate the game from Sci-Fi Blockbuster to Art-House film with a massive budget. There's legitimate reason to be put out more so then just crappy resolutions to romancing aliens.

Funny because after Sovereign's speech of Virmire, and talking with Vigil, I automatically thought that the ending would turn out like this.

they made it abundantly clear that there was no way to save civilization and that this was a fight for survival.

SajuukKhar:

roguewriter:

Funny because after Sovereign's speech of Virmire, and talking with Vigil, I automatically thought that the ending would turn out like this.

they made it abundantly clear that there was no way to save civilization and that this was a fight for survival.

In regards to the fight for survival, you're correct. However, while that underlying element remained consistent throughout both ME1 and ME2's respective narratives, neither game ever gave any indication that a True Heroic conclusion would not be possible.

Hard fight? Yes. Suffering some losses (i.e. Virmire sacrifice, possible losses during the suicide mission if you chose poorly, etc) acceptable. But an ending that effectively renders everything you've done moot and almost damns most of the Galaxy to ruin and condemns the Heroes and Shepard's crew to ignoble deaths? Nothing in ME's history precipitated that kind of culmination of story.

If anything, the conversations with both Nazara (Sovereign) and Vigil instilled a sense of hope. Vigil's whole purpose was to give the Galaxy a chance to break the cycle and save itself. Shepard faced down Nazara and told it, flatly, that it was a machine, and it could be broken, which is exactly what happened in both ME1 and ME2.

roguewriter:

If anything, the conversations with both Nazara (Sovereign) and Vigil instilled a sense of hope. Vigil's whole purpose was to give the Galaxy a chance to break the cycle and save itself.

And that is exactly what the ending does.

All of the civilizations that exist had been built in the chains of enslavement that were the Mass Relay/Citadel network.

Killing The Reapers doesn't change the fact that all existing technology was built along a dead end path that led only to The Reapers goals.

It doesn't matter that the enslavers are dead if you continue to wear their chains and go down the path that they chose for you.

Civilization as it is, was screwed the second they started using the Mass Relay network and basing technology off of it.

This ending frees civilization from the reapers chains and allows them to start over along a path that they chose for themselves.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Kahunaburger:

BelmontWolf:

Everybody dies.

I know. I mean, the first game established that you are facing badass genocide machines that never fail. Did anyone really expect there to be a perfect ending? Losing or a victory with very heavy losses seems like the only way to do it that makes sense.

SajuukKhar:

Civilization as it is, was screwed the second they started using the Mass Relay network and basing technology off of it.

This ending frees civilization from the reapers chains and allows them to start over along a path that they chose for themselves.

It's not about wanting a "perfect" ending, it's not about wanting a "realistic" ending, it's not about "waifuism" (believe me, I'm a Talimancer and would gladly have accepted her death in the game outside of this silliness).

Mass Effect's primary selling point, back when it was very first announced, was that "your actions would have consequences."
It's not that hard to understand ok?

Yes, the reapers are nigh invincible killing machines. Heavy losses would be natural.
But instead of letting the players choices matter, we get three endings with the same outcome.

Look at Mass Effect 1, depending on Paragon or Renegade you either doom or save the council, you recommend either Udina or Anderson for human representative. Mass Effect 2, members of your crew live or die AND you decide whether or not the Collector Base is preserved or not.

tl;dr - It's not about happy endings, it's about CHOICE.

Lovely Mixture:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Kahunaburger:

Everybody dies.

SajuukKhar:

It's not about wanting a "perfect" ending, it's not about wanting a "realistic" ending, it's not about "waifuism" (believe me, I'm a Talimancer and would gladly have accepted her death in the game outside of this silliness).

Mass Effect's primary selling point, back when it was very first announced, was that "your actions would have consequences."

Yes, the reapers are nigh invincible killing machines. Heavy losses would be natural.
But instead of letting the players choices matter, we get three endings with the same outcome.

Look at Mass Effect 1, depending on Paragon or Renegade you either doom or save the council, you recommend either Udina or Anderson for human representative. Mass Effect 2, members of your crew live or die AND you decide whether or not the Collector Base is preserved or not.

Indeed. Which has effectively been taking out of our hands. The endings boil down too: A. Galaxy is sent back technologically 20,000 years or so with the loss of the Relays and most Citadel based Tech while also being cut off from one another. B. Shepard assumes control of the Reapers and Becomes a God, effectively. Mass Relays Still Get Destroyed, Galaxy cut off, loss of tech, etc. C. All life becomes Synthetic Hybrids (i.e. Cylons) Relays still get destroyed, etc, etc. And the Extras: Normandy crew screwed in some way in every ending.

There is no choice in that. It's effectively, you loose, for the most part, regardless, but how *badly* do you want to loose? How is that kind of choice reflective of the options given in the previous games?

roguewriter:

Indeed. Which has effectively been taking out of our hands. The endings boil down too: A. Galaxy is sent back technologically 20,000 years or so with the loss of the Relays and most Citadel based Tech while also being cut off from one another. B. Shepard assumes control of the Reapers and Becomes a God, effectively. Mass Relays Still Get Destroyed, Galaxy cut off, loss of tech, etc. C. All life becomes Synthetic Hybrids (i.e. Cylons) Relays still get destroyed, etc, etc. And the Extras: Normandy crew screwed in some way in every ending.

There is no choice in that. It's effectively, you loose, for the most part, regardless, but how *badly* do you want to loose? How is that kind of choice reflective of the options given in the previous games?

20,000 years? nice hyperbole

Also Destroying the relays =/= destroying all technology or information that has been learned about the relays, which given that the Asari have considered making more, is at the point where they could conceivably build more.

We are looking at maybe 1,000 years, which isn't that long.

You are blowing the impact of this WAY out of proportion.

I guess its to late to say, "It's the journey, not the destination, that counts."

And yeah seems to me like alot of people complaining have been spoiled, self entitled gamers who believe that they have control on IP. It is always been the authors and creators who decide where the story goes, if you let the fans control it it always turns into a happy go lucky waifuuuu fest.

See Harry Potter fan fic, and now i am sure mass effect fan fic. People spoiled the ending by reading the last chapter in the book and reading the beginning. Good job. You have no one to blame but yourself. People who are blaming bioware are being pretty petty and immature. It didn't end the way I wanted too so I blame the company. Sorry not how it works. And it should never work like that in order for artistic integrity to survive.

Save fan service for anime and minor characters. It would be if someone was all NOOO YOU CAN"T KILL NED MR. MARTIN and then proceed to attack the author for killing him. That is basically what all the complainers are doing attacking the artists for creating something that didn't fit their expectations.

Artists and games are a weird medium but to be honest the authors and artists owe the fans nothing, nothing at all. You can chose not to buy it you can scream and moan about it and you can learn how the game plays out through youtube and everything else but you didn't live the story or play it yourself. Pout all you want it is not going to change.

Question spoilered for...spoilers

Seriously though, what better way to end one of the most massively overhyped balls of shit in videogame history?

I just thought of the ultimate Irony. Given the backlash by both biofans and even those that didnt have an interest in the games in and of themselves, EA/Bioware has backed itself in the corner.

Either they can let the game/endings/status of the NPC's remain the way it is, deal with the millions of very perturbed fans, who feel slighted for a variety of reasons (least of which being the lack of apparent choice, effect of choices from the previous games on the endings, and the status of crewmembers who, LI or not, where almost the focus of the game (sure as heck wasn't the combat in 1 and 2)) who may or may not ever invest in a Bioware/EA game again as it's one thing to put out a crappy game, but it's another to blatantly disappoint fans (and the visceral reaction from fans is something I haven't seen since Hal Jordan's fiasco with comics)

or

they can bend to their fans, right or wrong, and provide either a patched ending to fit in with what the general consensus is wanted (galaxy saved, more or less status quo preserved, LIVING peace for all major characters) or provide a "DLC" Ending, which while probably something that'd sell in droves, would ruin it's reputation just as bad.

So.... the irony of leaving Shepard with no real "win" choice, Bioware has done the same for itself. No matter what they do they look very poor in the eyes of a substantial amount of the playerbase.

Millions of fans perturbed?

Ohh the hyperbole.

I doubt most "fans" will actually give two sh*** enough to complain.

mirasiel:

That was caused by a meteor crashing into an active Mass Relay.

The Mass Relays at the end of Me3 use all their energy to enact whatever ending you choose, so they have no energy cores to blow up, the relays just fall apart from the use of all their energy but don't supernova explode because all their energy is used up before.

Okay, thousands, what have you. Even if it's a vocal minority, which it may very well be, be honest, have you ever seen a reaction this FAST to something like this? I mean even a relatively recent "end game let-down" like Halo 3. Remember to two/three days before it came out, the internet was somewhat flooded with "Chief dies!" video's and what have you? People weren't happy (and as it turned out, that wasn't the 'whole' ending, which is why I reserve judgement this time as well) but the reaction wasn't nearly as hate filled, and that is not a hyperbole, there is definite malice in the reactions of people here, Bioware's forums, /v/, N4G, and basically any other major gaming portal. People are *angry* and disappointed. That's... abnormal, even in this community.

I expect to see even more review bombing on metacritic than MW3/BF3/whatever flavor of the month game is fun to a hate this time.

SajuukKhar:
Millions of fans perturbed?

Ohh the hyperbole.

I doubt most "fans" will actually give two sh*** enough to complain.

mirasiel:

That was caused by a meteor crashing into an active Mass Relay.

The Mass Relays at the end of Me3 use all their energy to enact whatever ending you choose, so they have no energy cores to blow up, the relays just fall apart from the use of all their energy but don't supernova explode because all their energy is used up before.

Hmm ok, sounds bullshity to me since that energy has to go somewhere but I'll let that one pass, kinda feel the rest of it stands though.

SillyBear:
*This thread contains minor spoilers about the end. I intended it contain none, but people have been posting minor spoilers anyway.*

The Mass Effect 3 ending details have been data mined due to leaks/early copies and the results are not good at all. The majority of the members on the bioware forums have gone up in flames and are outraged. It's not pretty.

How far can Bioware/EA go to completely alienate their fans?

The fallout from Dragon Age 2 was bad enough. Then Mass Effect 3 DLC controversy was even worse. This looks like it could be the killer.

I don't want to include spoilers in this thread, but if you really want to know, go to the Bioware forums and look at the Mass Effect 3 spoiler thread. You can't miss it.

For those who are fine with very vague spoilers, but don't want to know the actual details:

Whilst not everyone is outraged at this, this could be enough to really hurt Bioware and force them into some strange DLC fix situation. From the looks of things, people aren't going to live this down.

For discussion:

What are your thoughts on Bioware? Why have they had their foot stuck in knee deep controversy for the last few years? Do you think the reaction to the endings will do serious damage?

After reading the alleged datamined endings, and finding that there's no MLP happiness and rainbows ending, I'm fine with all of that.
What else do you expect when taking on a race of beings that perpetually wiped out ALL life in the universe and stopping a galactic lifetimes worth of genocide? Welcome to gritty reality, even in sci-fi.
God, pathetic and sad, yet no one had this reaction to Red Dead Redemption's ending.

roguewriter:

Lovely Mixture:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

SajuukKhar:

I like it. I like how you tried desperately to change an inevitable outcome, but it is all for naught. I can see why having the choice minimized would bug you, though.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked