Bioware forums explode as Mass Effect 3 ending details are leaked. *MINOR SPOILERS*

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 18 NEXT

008Zulu:
I can draw only one conclusion;

Mass Effect, the first one, they got lucky with it. They dropped a four leaf clover out of a window and it landed on a horseshoe. That's all there is to it.

they have consistently faltered with the franchise since then. If you look back at everything related to it, its not hard to see just how lucky they were with the first one.

Funny because ME2 was a vast improvement in gameplay from the first in almost every single way.

After playing ME1 on the PC, and Xbox, I can easily both both version's gameplay mechanics were broken or useless.

SillyBear:

boag:
Ill only spoil this

those are the only ones ive heard of, I am hoping there is more, because dammit I want to have blue alien babies with mai waifu!

Dude put that in fucking spoiler tags. Not everyone wants to know that. I put no spoilers in the title. Get rid of it or put it in spoiler tags.

Bethesda's fresh squeezed, Bioware-EA's Tang

SajuukKhar:

Funny because ME2 was a vast improvement in gameplay from the first in almost every single way.

After playing ME1 on the PC, and Xbox, I can easily both both version's gameplay mechanics were broken or useless.

Ah yes. I forgot how ME2 ripped out the majority of skill customizations, added global cooldowns, retconned thermal clips, killed Shepard in a way that defies physics, brought him back in a way that defies biology (brain death after 6 minutes, irreversible damage, no possibility of recovery), railroaded in to working for the villains, took out the exploration of planets, the mining mini-game, and essentially made the struggle and indeed the crux of ME1 obsolete by having the Reapers show up anyway therefore making all the suffering and loss endured count for absolutely nothing.

Apart from that, it was a good game.

Well obviously they set it up for the SEQUALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAPTAIN OBVIOUS........AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!

*flies backwards into the sky*

We didn't see this coming from EA/Bioware?

Shit!!!Neon Genessis Evangelion all over again.

Game over man!Game over.

This merely cements the Bioware forums as the internet's most vile bastion of shrieking fanboys. You know everyone was calling that female Bioware writer the 'cancer that is killing Bioware'? It looks more like the Bioware fanboys are the ones doing that all on their own.

Meh.
I liked the first game a lot and thought the second one was okay but a bit of a dissapointment(In that it could have been better). Now I am glad I decided not to buy the third.

The endings sound kinda bad, yeah it's depressing, that does not equal good writing like people seem to think. I can't say im too dissapointed since I partly expected this from the start but it's still a letdown.

On the bright side for me at least, I now know that I have some extra money to buy riot points with. Veigar White mage skin, you are mine now!

So, the Reapers, who have systematically wiped out all civilization every 50,000 years since, presumably, the beginning of time, DIDN'T succeed in doing so? That sounds like a happy ending to me.

Seriously, why is everyone so mad? Even dismissing the fact that a group of people who supposedly enjoyed the story for its story went out of their way to find and read spoilers, since when do every member of the community get a say in what BioWare's overarching story must be? If they want it to be a downer ending, then they make it a downer ending, they have the artistic rights to write whatever fucking ending they want, and given what we have heard about the Reapers and the fact that Earth gets fucked literally FIVE MINUTES into the game, did we really expect anything else?

I'll also make the point that, well, the journey is more important than the destination. I had predicted an ending like this, or at least some variation on "everyone gets fucked", but that didn't put be off. Considering ME2 probably stands as one of my favourite games of all time due the CHARACTERIZATION, rather than the plot, I imagine it will still be enjoyable.

Canadish:

MiloP:
So, the Reapers, who have systematically wiped out all civilization every 50,000 years since, presumably, the beginning of time, DIDN'T succeed in doing so? That sounds like a happy ending to me.

Seriously, why is everyone so mad? Even dismissing the fact that a group of people who supposedly enjoyed the story for its story went out of their way to find and read spoilers, since when do every member of the community get a say in what BioWare's overarching story must be? If they want it to be a downer ending, then they make it a downer ending, they have the artistic rights to write whatever fucking ending they want, and given what we have heard about the Reapers and the fact that Earth gets fucked literally FIVE MINUTES into the game, did we really expect anything else?

I'll also make the point that, well, the journey is more important than the destination. I had predicted an ending like this, or at least some variation on "everyone gets fucked", but that didn't put be off. Considering ME2 probably stands as one of my favourite games of all time due the CHARACTERIZATION, rather than the plot, I imagine it will still be enjoyable.

Biodrones parroting propaganda right from their Dear Leaders mouth thread?
Biodrones parroting propaganda right from their Dear Leaders mouth thread.

;)

You can call me a Mass Effect fanboy, that would be perfectly fine.

Biodrone? Not really. Didn't like KOTOR, couldn't stand Dragon Age, not bothered to play Jade Empire, and probably won't be renewing my subscription to TOR.

Elfgore:
Oh well that sucks but I mean they are only being realistic. Think about an army of giant death robots attack the world. Even if we stop them the damage, both emotionally and physically would be huge. I mean a nice ending would be nice, just make it hard to get.

Heh, imagine if it was all a dream of some present day person and the Mass Effect Universe was canonically fiction.

I think that giving ME3 a bittersweet ending is the smartest idea that Bioware have had in quite a while, amidst all their attempts to streamline the series.
What I want from ME3 is closure; not some convoluted happy ending just for the sake of.

Read the spoilers in the Bioware forums and I can see how it would make sense. It sucks but now that I know I guess I don't have to play the game! I loved the first, liked the second and don't care enough to want the third at this point. Wonder what the next big Bioware title will be?

So are fans assuming the reason many people don't like the endings are because they are depressing? Also they are not that depressing.

Let's talk serious here.

Was anyone actually expecting anything different? Honestly.

Because I certainly wasn't.

When you end up in a situation like this, there's no such thing as a happy ending.
There's no such thing as a satisfying ending either.

At the end of the day, if the game as a whole (by which I mean the base game) is worth the price of admission, then I really don't care either way how it ends. If it isn't... then go outside. Play some sports with your friends. Chill with your lady/man. Support your local music scene. Laugh. Smile. Life's not so bad.

Sincerely,
A resident of the statistically least happy city in the US.

Canadish:

MiloP:

;)

While I have no doubts I'll be labeled as the same, I fully agree with MiloP. I've always enjoyed the sort of stories where people fight for the greater good even if they know they are screwed and as such, after checking out the spoilers, this sounds like the sort of ending I will like.

Happy Ending DLC anyone?

I'm quite bummed about this news actually.

I never managed to kill any of my crewmembers through my 5 playthroughs of the ME2 and now they just shove a bittersweet/depressing end down my throat without even a chance of a happy ending? What utter bullshit I say.

After being minor "spoiled" like that,what's even the point to bother with Multiplayer to help your cause more against the Reapers if the ending will be depressing no matter what path you choose to take?(Paragon/Renegade).

PS:...I'm really thinking of cancelling my preorder because of this.:(

I really can't take seriously anything I've seen or heard, considering how "leaked" "evidence" was used against BioWare in the DLC arguments saying that they were being "evil" and taking out game bits that were important, when in actuality, the leaked bits ended up proving the whiners wrong.

AstylahAthrys:
I'd be okay with a bittersweet ending, though. If a bunch of the galaxy is dead, but I manage to stop the Reapers, at least I won't feel like I've done everything for nothing. I would like to have a kind of happy ending where I can marry my LI, and maybe I will. Maybe it will be a wedding with a toast to all the dead crewmates. I don't want it to be sunshine and flowers, but please, I want a living Shepard who isn't totally fucked.

To what you said in yopur spoiler:

That was a given that that would be the case.

Plinglebob:

Canadish:

MiloP:

;)

While I have no doubts I'll be labeled as the same, I fully agree with MiloP. I've always enjoyed the sort of stories where people fight for the greater good even if they know they are screwed and as such, after checking out the spoilers, this sounds like the sort of ending I will like.

Despite my teasing, I actually do agree for once. I think the endings sound pretty good.

Apart from your choices meaning nothing, that sucks.

Also: It's leaked public now. We'll have it all confirmed in a few hours.

SillyBear:

Somehow, im not surprised.

*Edit*

Allow me to elaberate. I knew, not thought about it, but outright knew, that the end was going to be the end. And that the end would be serious, people would die. I actually hoped that I could get a ending where Shepard suicide bombs the head reaper or something like that. I felt that that was really the best kind of ending. Oh sure, I like the happy "everyone but the bad guy lives" ending like the next guy, but those ending just dont carry the same wieght as one where you can save everyone.

They did warn people about it some time ago. They did say that ME3 ending will piss off people. And back then everyone was like "Whoo! Drama! Yes! We likes!"
Now They know the ending, and They are pissed...but no one cheers?

Oh gamers. Your lack of integrity is touching.

im guessing waht ever way, earth is destoryed but all alien civilisations arnt or earth survives but all aliens civilisations (or a lot of erm) dont and shepherd dies and a lot of his crew in all of them.

well its certaintly different from most endings to sci fi epics where the goodies win and the main lead has sex with all the womenz at the end.

Keava:

Oh gamers. Your lack of integrity is touching.

there are 2 people, one who likes drama and the other doesnt, when theres drama, one complains, when there is no drama, one complains

it doesnt mean its the same people the same way who your talking about cant be the same gamers

Canadish:
Need proof? Screen shot time baby!

Now in edited Spoilered Edition.

Damn.....they could try spacing their ships out just a little bit.

The Reaper that takes the first shot is going to get the biggest multi-kill in the history of ever.

I simply avoid all info about the game, if people go looking for stuff like that it's there own damn fault.

Canadish:

Plinglebob:

Canadish:

;)

Despite my teasing, I actually do agree for once. I think the endings sound pretty good.

Apart from your choices meaning nothing, that sucks.

Also: It's leaked public now. We'll have it all confirmed in a few hours.

I've said it before. The best ending for me is the Reapers win or you win, but the galaxy is utterly wrecked. It drives home that you were fighting a losing battle against an unstoppable threat. As much as you fought to change things, an unstoppable threat is unstoppable. It isn't a tale of victory, it is just another Cycle completed by the Reapers.

The Reapers destroy all civilisation.

There was no way that it wasn't gonna get messy.

Well, regardless of the ending I hope nobody was planning to buy it from GAME... http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-29-revealed-games-memo-to-staff-on-mass-effect-3-cancellation

People bitching on the Bioware forums? Is that something unexpected? They've been doing that for the past couple years.
I haven't read the exact spoilers and I won't. What's considered to be a bad ending is always a matter of opinion. No matter how many people think it's bad, you'll always find others who like it. I surely won't cancel my pre-order just because of a fanbase who's done nothing but complain about every single thing from the game and I don't give a shit about most of those complaints.
I'll play it on my own and then decide whether I like it or not and I definitely won't judge it based on second-hand information.

Besides, even if it is bad, as long as the rest of the story is good I don't mind a bad ending too much. I've had a few games/movies/books, where the ending was bad but the rest was a good story.

I wonder how modern Bioware fans would have reacted to Planescape: Torment's ending.

Shephard is a Ghost. Tali is the name of his sledge.

MiloP:
I'll also make the point that, well, the journey is more important than the destination.

The problem with that is you'd otherwise be right (look at games like TES, for example) but for the fact the leaked info indicates the journey right up to the PoNR in ME3 just doesn't matter that much. In the end, you're still hunting for a Space MacGuffin that fixes things right up good...and negates the importance and long-term consequences of Shepard's history and previous choices/actions.

Or, as I like to think of it, the fundamental theme and innovation Bioware claimed to bring to the table with the Mass Effect IP.

What does it matter if Shepard saved or annihilated the Rachni, or destroyed or kept the Collector base, for example, if it all boils down to finding Magical Martian Space Bomb? It doesn't.

Eacaraxe:

MiloP:
I'll also make the point that, well, the journey is more important than the destination.

The problem with that is you'd otherwise be right (look at games like TES, for example) but for the fact the leaked info indicates the journey right up to the PoNR in ME3 just doesn't matter that much. In the end, you're still hunting for a Space MacGuffin that fixes things right up good...and negates the importance and long-term consequences of Shepard's history and previous choices/actions.

Or, as I like to think of it, the fundamental theme and innovation Bioware claimed to bring to the table with the Mass Effect IP.

What does it matter if Shepard saved or annihilated the Rachni, or destroyed or kept the Collector base, for example, if it all boils down to finding Magical Martian Space Bomb? It doesn't.

I don't get it. What is so hard about consolidating your forces and assets over the course of the trilogy and then engaging and defeating the main reaper force on Earth? We don't need some crazy weird/stupid twists or turns. This does not need to be complicated. I was under the impression that that is where they were going with the war assets and galactic readiness systems, but apparently I was wrong. >.>

SillyBear:
*This thread contains minor spoilers about the end. I intended it contain none, but people have been posting minor spoilers anyway.*

The Mass Effect 3 ending details have been data mined due to leaks/early copies and the results are not good at all. The majority of the members on the bioware forums have gone up in flames and are outraged. It's not pretty.

How far can Bioware/EA go to completely alienate their fans?

The fallout from Dragon Age 2 was bad enough. Then Mass Effect 3 DLC controversy was even worse. This looks like it could be the killer.

I don't want to include spoilers in this thread, but if you really want to know, go to the Bioware forums and look at the Mass Effect 3 spoiler thread. You can't miss it.

For those who are fine with very vague spoilers, but don't want to know the actual details:

Whilst not everyone is outraged at this, this could be enough to really hurt Bioware and force them into some strange DLC fix situation. From the looks of things, people aren't going to live this down.

For discussion:

What are your thoughts on Bioware? Why have they had their foot stuck in knee deep controversy for the last few years? Do you think the reaction to the endings will do serious damage?

Can anyone post a link to a thread on the Bioware forums? I would love to go see if they have changed anything (already read the older leaks) but I cant BECAUSE THE FUCKING WEBSITE KEEPS REDIRECTING ME TO THE GERMAN ONE JESUS FUCKING CHRIST I HATE IT WHEN THEY DO THIS I MEAN FUCK

Come on, at least give me the option to choose which website I visit, but no. Fucking hell.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 18 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked