Bioware forums explode as Mass Effect 3 ending details are leaked. *MINOR SPOILERS*

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 18 NEXT

Would destroy the whole point of the game. It must be obtained on each races own terms,

makes the races learn nothing.

which leads us to th series 2nd biggest point, Self-determination.

[DISCLAIMER: I have not read nor will I read the actual spoilers, I only read the OP]
I don't want a strictly happy ending anyway. To me the best endings are either bittersweet (like Infamous 2's good ending or Final Fantasy X if you pretend FFX-2 never happened) or straight up depressing (like Dexter seasons four and five or Heavy Rain if you fail to save Shaun). Those endings leave a mark on you and you remember them forever.

If my Mass Effect 3 ends in a similar way, I'll be very happy. If the game doesn't allow you to have a perfectly happy ending, I will respect BioWare a lot for it. You can't tell a story like this without any heartbreak.

SajuukKhar:

Would destroy the whole point of the game. It must be obtained on each races own terms,

Kakulukia:
[DISCLAIMER: I have not read nor will I read the actual spoilers, I only read the OP]
I don't want a strictly happy ending anyway. To me the best endings are either bittersweet (like Infamous 2's good ending or Final Fantasy X if you pretend FFX-2 never happened) or straight up depressing (like Dexter seasons four and five or Heavy Rain if you fail to save Shaun). Those endings leave a mark on you and you remember them forever.

If my Mass Effect 3 ends in a similar way, I'll be very happy. If the game doesn't allow you to have a perfectly happy ending, I will respect BioWare a lot for it. You can't tell a story like this without any heartbreak.

It's not bittersweet; they are bitter. All of them.

Omnific One:

Kakulukia:

Generalizations are bad, stop using them.

Xpheyel:

SajuukKhar:

Dammit, I just had to read it... If this is fake, props to troll.

Omnific One:

Kakulukia:

You clearly don't know what the term bittersweet means.

As far as I'm concerned, any ending that doesn't involve my matter being pumped through tubes and used to make a giant death machine is "sweet" to me.

oh geez so I looked over at the Bioware forums and all I have to say is Meanwhile at Bioware:

But seriously guys who plays Mass effect for the story am I right?

Omnific One:

Kakulukia:

Even better. Did you play Heavy Rain? I barely remember what happens in the happy endings. I will never forget the sad ones. They're powerful stuff. Metal Gear Solid 3 also comes to mind.

I agree it's not exactly the smartest move to not allow happy endings at all for those who want them, especially with the "there is no canon, tell your own story" thing about ME, but I maintain that this story cannot end perfectly well.

SajuukKhar:

Xpheyel:
*Snip*

boag:

Omnific One:

Kakulukia:

undeadsuitor:

Omnific One:

Kakulukia:

As far as I'm concerned, any ending that doesn't involve my matter being pumped through tubes and used to make a giant death machine is "sweet" to me.

Have either of you read the ending spoilers? I don't know what your definition of sweet is, but there is nothing in there that is sweet. Well, except saving the galaxy, which we all knew was going to happen.

Ah, shit. I read part of it. So about the whole

thing, I fucking love the idea. This has impact, this has a long-lasting effect on the game universe, this makes the characters learn new things. Isn't that the whole point of storytelling?

him over there:

Oldschool Bioware fans, well those who unlike me, can put up with the crappy FPS the series became anyway.

Kakulukia:

Omnific One:

Kakulukia:

Even better. Did you play Heavy Rain? I barely remember what happens in the happy endings. I will never forget the sad ones. They're powerful stuff. Metal Gear Solid 3 also comes to mind.

I agree it's not exactly the smartest move to not allow happy endings at all for those who want them, especially with the "there is no canon, tell your own story" thing about ME, but I maintain that this story cannot end perfectly well.

One game that last less than 10 or so hours (I don't know) versus over 100 hours over 3 games over 5 years? Big difference, buddy.

Quellist:

him over there:

Oldschool Bioware fans, well those who unlike me, can put up with the crappy FPS the series became anyway.

I'm hoping you knew it was a joke and I was joking. Otherwise this place is getting way to serious.

Omnific One:
*Le snip*
Have either of you read the ending spoilers? I don't know what your definition of sweet is, but there is nothing in there that is sweet. Well, except saving the galaxy, which we all knew was going to happen.

That is exactly my definition of bittersweet. From the little bit of spoiler that I read,

Compare that to FFX:

or Infamous 2:

Something good happens (i.e. saved the world, blahdiblah) at the expense of something the characters hold dear (i.e. their life, someone else's, or whatever happens in ME3)

Omnific One:
One game that last less than 10 or so hours (I don't know) versus over 100 hours over 3 games over 5 years? Big difference, buddy.

How so? To me, it makes my point even stronger; spending a hundred hours of my life for a cookie-cutter "and they lived happily ever after" ending? I'll pass.

Omnific One:

boag:

Omnific One:

undeadsuitor:

Omnific One:

Exactly.

It's sweet because you win.

It's bitter because of [insert spoiler here]

Bitter.

Sweet.

Bittersweet.

That's what bittersweet is.

Omnific One:

Kakulukia:

It's a battle for the continued survival of every single intelligent species in the galaxy, against a foe determined to wipe them out to the man. Any ending where they fail, and galactic civilization can live on, is inherently at least a little sweet. Losses are inevitable and unavoidable. Having to choose which of your squadmates will die on Vermire, and before even the final battle of Mass Effect 1, should have made that fact perfectly clear.

I wish I didn't read the vague spoiler. I've never been that interested in the series, but now that the third is coming out I figured I would pick up the inevitable combo pack and go through them this summer. But it might seem a bit pointless..

Bioware, Bioware, Bioware.

I hate you.

Spending totals of weeks playing Mass Effect 1 and 2 every time I rebooted my computer or got a new one, thus losing my saves.

I hate you.

Two hundred dollars on a Xbox 360 just so I could play Mass Effect 3 on it, only to have the hardware fuck up and not recognize the saved games I got from Mass Effects one and two, which I also bought, again, just for ME3.

I hate you.

Paying for both of your games twice.

I hate you.

Putting so much joy into the games, loving the lore, and talking to my characters, crying over their hardships.

I hate you.

Being forced to make heavy decisions that could alter a galaxy.

I hate you.

All. Of. This. Was. For.

FUCKING NOTHING!

AM:
Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate Bioware since I read that thread. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for Bioware at this micro-instant. For Bioware. Hate. Hate.

Well said, AM.

I'm a Red Lantern now. I'm going to go vomit hate blood on Bioware's staff.

The worst part of this is...Bitter endings are okay. They can be pulled off well. Someone mentioned Final Fantasy X, for example. FFX, however, did not completely invalidate EVERYTHING I DID!

With Final Fantasy X

which not only saved millions of lives, but stopped Sin for good.

Mass Effect 3, on the other hand...just completely destroys everything you worked for. What the fuck...

I said to myself, don't you open that thread, but I did, and I am kinda worried, but frankly it would be unrealistic to expect no casualties, HOWEVER this thing about your decisions in the last two games not making a difference, if that is the case, I will have a problem. I have spent well over 150 hours on the last 2 games making different decisions because BioWare said that they would affect ME3, they better one way or the other, or I will be PISSED. Also, this is why you don't give out advance copies.

Yes because choices that affect your war assets don't affect the game?

not sure if serious?

I have read the leaked script, and read the war assets list, I can confirm for a fact that many decision have affect in ME3

Balek from Bring Down the Sky comes back, should he be alive.
The Prothean Sphere from firewalker does things
Overlord can augmet you fleet in diffrent ways depending on what choice you made
Keeping/destroying the collector base
etc. etc.

boag:

Ultratwinkie:

Eddie the head:
Depressing like inFAMOUS 2 good ending or depressing like Resistance 2 ending?

Basically, Bioware copies Warhammer 40k.

I mean REALLY? You fucking copy an IP that's been around for DECADES?! And a chapter of its history that everyone knows?

Is Bioware that bad at writing it has to copy paste an entire landmark of another IP's story?

I dunno, you can read it for yourself and come to the final conclusion if you want

THIS IS A SPOILER LINK, IF YOU DONT WANT THE ENDING SPOILED DONT CLICK ON IT!
http://pastebin.com/dUiLznSD

Woooow that's bullshit.

TheDarkEricDraven:

[snip]

Mass Effect 3, on the other hand...just completely destroys everything you worked for. What the fuck...

The most massive betrayal in the history of gaming, yeah.

Omnific One:

TheDarkEricDraven:

[snip]

Bahahaha...

This is just too much... x)

Just exactly how old are most Bioware fans? 15? 12?

It's pathetic that when Bioware gives us a realistic, mature ending in which loss is loss and not some happy duper ending where the status quo is restored, we continue to whine like children.

Any happy ending will insult the threat of the Reapers, the sacrifice required, and the choices made.

The endings helps prevent Mass Effect 3 from being a Paragon=Happy and Renegade=Beeped over.

Sacrifice is everything. How is it sacrifice when Shepard can always "choose" or fight his way out of a situation?

Do people honestly thought the game will end with Shepard standing over some rising sun, basking in the glory when we've been told a BAZILLION time of the Reaper threat?

Omnific One:

TheDarkEricDraven:

[snip]

You worked for the destruction of the Reapers, and the continued existence of life in the galaxy as we know it. Anything else is just icing on the cake.

Omnific One:

boag:

Omnific One:

undeadsuitor:

Omnific One:

well most of the Endings are bitter, I agree, but at least one has the possibility of not completely sucking balls, but regardless the reason I said Generalizations are bad, is because they are, thats all, no hidden meanings, I just dont like Generalizations.

Kahunaburger:

Dandark:
The Bioware forums. Things are happening to it now which should not be talked about. Luckily I have found an image that accurately depicts the current state of the Bioware fanbase

They seem to be in the middle of a war.

SPOILERS FOR THE SPOILER GOD

BANS FOR THE BAN THRONE

CHAOS SCUM!!!
FOR THE GOD MODERATOR!!!!

I find it funny how people believe that they should have the right to dictate their favourite authors/filmmakers/videogame designers how their stories have to look like, and how they should end. This really happens throughout all the mediums: 'It's Biowares own fault that we will force them into providing a DLC fix for this.' Or, 'it's Kurt Sutters own fault if we stop watching Sons of Anarchy, he better fix up those characters and story arcs or we will all leave him!' Fans stomping their feet on the ground because they think they have a right to demand anything: cute, very cute.

The truth is as it should be: you can't tell the authors how to handle their shit. You have two options: to buy, or not to buy. I guess people know this, and even accept it, to some extent; hence OP grasping for straws by bringing EA into this, the fucking publisher. How far will they go to alienate their fans?! EA probably has a word about launch day DLC, and other crap, but they sure as hell didn't march into the Bioware studios and demand a bitter ending for the game. The only reason EA was mentioned here was because it's pretty much established that EA is evil, and if I blame evil people for things I dislike, then I will always 100% be right, and it will give legitimacy to my inane concerns, right? Right? Bullshit.

On the one hand, people want videogames to be accepted as an art form. On the other hand, threads like this one. People nerd-raging because their new game isn't just happy escapism with a nice ending that will leave them feeling good about themselves and the world, and make them forget about the bullshit that is going on outside of the safe confines of their parents basements. Grow the fuck up. This situation is treated like the warp core exploded and the enterprise got destroyed, but it wasn't part of the plan and it doesn't make sense, therefore it must have happened by accident. Surely Bioware could only do this to their fans because they didn't know the right way, because it wasn't shown to them. Let's teach them a lesson about what we really want. But have those nerds ever considered that maybe the emotional response to this is not an accident, but exactly what the writers wanted to accomplish? Art, as well as reality, isn't just here to entertain us, and give us what we want all of the time. Sometimes it wants to slap us in the face and make us feel something different, stir things up. They well succeeded with this one.

Kakulukia:
Thing, I fucking love the idea. This has impact, this has a long-lasting effect on the game universe, this makes the characters learn new things. Isn't that the whole point of storytelling?

You are right about long lasting effect:

Spiderverse!

I am going to wait until I have finished Mass Effect 3 to judge it and the endings. While it may not look good on paper, it may look better when presented in game. Plus, Bioware did state to keep our Mass Effect 3 save games. They could very well add post end game content.

him over there:

Quellist:

him over there:

I'm hoping you knew it was a joke and I was joking. Otherwise this place is getting way to serious.

Pretty much but the thing is ME is now pretty much an FPS with a story and how many FPS fans care about the story? so joke or not its kind of a valid point.

For my 2 cents, though i'm not going near ME3 unless i can get a cheap secondhand one in 6 months time, i think giving the series a downer ending is actually a pretty courageous move, not the least because it cuts out the possibility of sequels.

Thats why i fully expect 'Epilogue' DLC that sets things up for more games in the ME universe

Hahahahaha...

And I was about to start a Renegade playthrough to work on different choices, Ty OP for saving me that time (and money).

Back to Wargame Escalation :D

Savber:

Bahahaha...

This is just too much... x)

Just exactly how old are most Bioware fans? 15? 12?

It's pathetic that when Bioware gives us a realistic, mature ending in which loss is loss and not some happy duper ending where the status quo is restored, we continue to whine like children.

Any happy ending will insult the threat of the Reapers, the sacrifice required, and the choices made.

The endings helps prevent Mass Effect 3 from being a Paragon=Happy and Renegade=Beeped over.

Sacrifice is everything. How is it sacrifice when Shepard can always "choose" or fight his way out of a situation?

Do people honestly thought the game will end with Shepard standing over some rising sun, basking in the glory when we've been told a BAZILLION time of the Reaper threat?

It's a problem because we actually invested time in this stuff. It's not like a book or a movie, we played these games and expect for our efforts not to be invalidated.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 18 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked