Is anyone able to launch Origin games from Windows shortcuts?

I installed the ME3 demo and can run it from Origin but everytime I try to run it from the desktop shortcut it created it says something along the line of "Origin is not installed. This game requires Origin to play". I've tried making my own shortcuts as well but still get the same error message.

Origin is installed. I've got it running. The game runs fine if I launch it from Origin.

I thought maybe this was a demo thing but I have since purchased Syndicate. It's doing the same thing. Game runs fine from Origin but gives me the Origin not installed message when I try to launch it from the desktop. Do Windows shortcuts to Origin games just not work? I've googled this and posted to the official Origin forums but that's not really getting me anywhere so I wonder if maybe it's my setup.

I just want to launch the game from the icon like I do all other Window's programs. I don't want to launch one program just so I can launch another. If I'm going to have to use Origin I prefer it act like Steam and stay out of my way.

It's not a huge deal but it is annoying.

Anyone else having this trouble?

Thanks.

I'm running Windows 7 and I can launch FIFA 12 and Battlefield 3 from the desktop shortcuts. They both start Origin and then load the game (well the splash screen and Battlelog respectively, but you know what I mean). Origin is staying out of my way...so far.

The ME3 Demo (only Origin game I have installed) launches fine from the desktop icon for me - it brings up the Origin login screen first if you're not already logged in, but then it goes straight to the game like any other shortcut.

Sounds like your Origin install is screwy?

AD-Stu:

I don't know about the install being screwy but I did edit some of the default locations for the games and the installer cache so that might be it. I have a "Utilities" folder on my main drive where I install smaller apps I don't use often and Origin is in that. You can specify where you want Origin to install it's games and I have that set to a different place. The games get installed into an "Origin Games" folder also on my main drive.

I've never liked Windows dumping every install into the "Program Files" folder so I change install paths quite often. I have Windows 7 itself pretty much on it's own drive.

I wouldn't think that would be the cause of my problem but those are the "non-standard" settings. Still... if that's what has broken shortcut functionality for me why offer the option to change things to how I like them...?

Bantis:

AD-Stu:

I don't know about the install being screwy but I did edit some of the default locations for the games and the installer cache so that might be it. I have a "Utilities" folder on my main drive where I install smaller apps I don't use often and Origin is in that. You can specify where you want Origin to install it's games and I have that set to a different place. The games get installed into an "Origin Games" folder also on my main drive.

I've never liked Windows dumping every install into the "Program Files" folder so I change install paths quite often. I have Windows 7 itself pretty much on it's own drive.

I wouldn't think that would be the cause of my problem but those are the "non-standard" settings. Still... if that's what has broken shortcut functionality for me why offer the option to change things to how I like them...?

That shouldn't be it because I have a similar setup, my boot drive is only 120Gb big so while Origin itself is on C:\ I have everything else go onto my 2Tb HDD. My Origin works fine.

Hmmmm, then I don't know.

I came across two posts that sounded promising. One suggested registering the origin.exe manually through the cmd prompt via: origin.exe /register. The other suggested fixing a possible registry error entry in hkey_root\origin\shell\open\command. I didn't have this entry so I added it myself. Neither suggestion worked.

Gonna try reinstalling Origin next. I'll put it in the location I want again to see if maybe something gets set this time around. If that doesn't work I'll try the default location.

Either way since I don't have the actual games under the Origin folder will I need to reinstall these games again as well? Or when I reinstall Origin and point it to the games folder will it see that they are already activated?

Thanks.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked