What Kind of MMO do you desire?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I'll start.

I personally prefer playing an MMO that are not Fantasy-themed, it bores me in a blink.
I really like them when they're more 'today'. As in, today's weapons, apparels, landscapes, environment, etc. Especially when the main theme is survival! Supplies are hard to come by, ammo is scarce, etc.

I don't mind when there's a sci-fi element in these kind of MMOs as well, such as MegaTen Online. So my wishlist of an MMO would probably in the mix of :

Dead Frontier : Great concept, survival theme well done, one hit from a zombie and you lose quite an amount of health. It's a shame that the lack of content put me off, mind you it's made by a small company.

Fallen Earth : post-apoc setting is great, crafting is ingenious. But the environment is just way too barren, and way huge. Great game though.

Left 4 Dead : the shooting mechanics.

Bottomline, the MMO that i desire would be like, a 3rd or 1st person shooter survival game. With the settings from Dead Frontier (a dead town with enter-able buildings and all), where scavenging for stuff is really2 dangerous when alone. Supported by Fallen Earth-like crafting. And player housing (lol, im a sucker for those).

But the main thing is, it's a game of pure survival. End game stuff, I don't really know about that since i'm no dev and I never stuck long enough in an MMO due to my split-loyalty behaviour :P

So, fellow escapists. Any desires or wishes of your own?

I've been looking for a space-sim MMO with a large focus on player-driven conflicts- i.e., if somebody wants control of a base, he can take it provided he has a lot of friends. Ideally it'd be somewhere between EVE Online, which is so comically obtuse that you really can't do anything, and Battlestar Galactica Online, which creates the same problem by simply having nothing to do.

Space based. That isn't TOR.

Basically "Bigger Freelancer"

One in which I meet a girl, we fall in love, and live together in happiness for the rest of our days. In real life.

I know it happens, but why won't it happen for ME?!

ResonanceSD:
Space based. That isn't TOR.

Basically "Bigger Freelancer"

Oh god yes! I fully approve this idea as well!

Im tempted to say Guildwars 2 and leave it at that, but if this a hypothetical topic then, idealy a game that makes best possible use of the main feature that mmo's have over single player games, that is the multiplayer, give me some incentive to quest with random people instead of just ignoring invites, give me a reason to pvp other than just because i can, let me open my own shop and sell things to people instead of going to a vendor npc, let the player's give me personal quests instead of killing a hundred boars for an npc that wont care. I could probably go on but i wont.

I really want a sandbox game to not only release, but be successful enough to continue development and fill up a server. I'd like to see a classless character creation system, where skills are learned as you use them or something similar. So everyone can have access to everything, but in limited amounts (Think Skyrim, but more advanced and with more skills related to crafting and such). No predetermined factions, no instancing of areas (as in, multiple instances of the same zone), and...yeah, there's more, but I'd settle for just that stuff.

I'd want a MMO that's entirely based on D&D 3.5 ruleset. The combat, the quests, all of it. One that had the ability to write your own quests and dungeons and where the world 'Felt' somehow as deep and filled with secrets as Baldur's Gate.

One where you don't have to pick a different server, where all people who play are in the same place. One like this...

Yeah, just like that. I would be interested in more MMO's if they could pull off the single server thing too.

If only there were more hours in a day, I could play more.

One that has Guild Wars 2 on the cover. :3

In all seriousness, I would love to see an MMO in which people really had to depend on each other. Where to survive, you have to get together with a group, populate a settlement, gather resources, and fend off other players. I would be really cool if while you were offline, your character would turn into an NPC on the server, automatically performing their "job" to gather resources for the group, or for yourself. A post apocalyptic setting would probably be good for something like this. There would also have to be a bunch of servers with a limited population, and maybe some system to "kill off" inactive characters so you wouldn't have a server full of NPCs that no one new could join.

Fallen Earth seemed to be moving in this direction, but to a lesser extent than I'm thinking.

Sifl & Olly is a show with sock puppets.

I'd like to see an MMO of that.

I want an MMO with an actual engine and fun gameplay OR hardcore RPG strategic elements. Players should feel like they can differentiate themselves through their builds/play styles. Yeah its a bitch to balance, but then the only reason to play an MMORPG over an actual game of DnD is because of the ease of access. Also, players should actually have the capacity to affect their world.

I personally prefer MMOs with fantasy themed worlds. However my brother prefers something that not many people seem to be in the mood for: an MMORTS. He enjoys playing "Shores of Hazeron" and "Beyond Protocol".
In addition to having a fantasy theme, I also like MMO's that have storylines in the quests.For this reason, I'm currently trying "Rusty Hearts".

I'd like to see a Sci-fi MMO that focuses heavily on PvE. I might even go as far as to say I'd like an MMO without PvP. It never worked very well as a competitive game, it's incredibly hard to balance while keeping every class unique and effective, it's also incredibly boring.

Don't misunderstand me, I think if any MMO is going to get PvP right it'll be Guild Wars 2 (even though it's way too early to call that). The biggest problem with PvP in MMO's now is the idea of 'PvP gear' which makes you more effective in PvP. To be truly competitive you need an even playing field, how the system works now is that the people who perform better in PvP are rewarded with gear to make them better at PvP

how does that logic make any sense? would you give high ranking starcraft players more starting resources? would you give a chess champion 2 queens? if it's really all about skill then nobody should have an advantage based on gear.

don't even get me started on how bad of an idea the 2v2 3v3 arena system was.

I don't really like MMO's with realistic day-to-day landscapes. I like funky, fantasy type grapichs, 'cuz,well, it's a game, i want to escape my daily life, not relive it in different scenarios. One thing i would like to see is more gameplay choices for your caracter. Usually you have some skills and some passives and a proffesion of some sort and I don't think it's really enough. Why can't i combine two of my spells into another one? Why doesn't unlocking two passives give me some sort of synergy bonus? Why does picking a class only limits you to it's skills? I could be a pious palladin that throws fireballs at people or a scout that can summon the undead. That would be awesome to see in a game.

Limecake:
I'd like to see a Sci-fi MMO that focuses heavily on PvE. I might even go as far as to say I'd like an MMO without PvP. It never worked very well as a competitive game, it's incredibly hard to balance while keeping every class unique and effective, it's also incredibly boring.

Don't misunderstand me, I think if any MMO is going to get PvP right it'll be Guild Wars 2 (even though it's way too early to call that). The biggest problem with PvP in MMO's now is the idea of 'PvP gear' which makes you more effective in PvP. To be truly competitive you need an even playing field, how the system works now is that the people who perform better in PvP are rewarded with gear to make them better at PvP

how does that logic make any sense? would you give high ranking starcraft players more starting resources? would you give a chess champion 2 queens? if it's really all about skill then nobody should have an advantage based on gear.

don't even get me started on how bad of an idea the 2v2 3v3 arena system was.

I don't think arena systems are bad. For one, if you get rid of PvP gear then it simply comes down to team comp and player skill. The only time it is a problem is if it is the only option for PvP or the developers use it (and no other forms of PvP) to balance the classes.

One that has pokemon in it. The only concievable reason why Nintendo has not made a pokemon mmo yet is because they are terrified of money. I mean, come on, the game would fit perfectly into an mmo setting with very little tweaking- perhaps a bit more endgame content, but other than that they need not change anything.

Well, I just started playing The Old Republic, and I fuckin' love it so far.

So I guess that.

But preferably with way better space combat. As it stands, they're now like a shitty Star Fox ripoff.

Fappy:

I don't think arena systems are bad. For one, if you get rid of PvP gear then it simply comes down to team comp and player skill. The only time it is a problem is if it is the only option for PvP or the developers use it (and no other forms of PvP) to balance the classes.

This is why I could see the system working in a game like Guild Wars 2 where you don't need to spend over a month leveling a new class because your old one can't compete in the arena anymore. or the developers could start homogenizing classes so that class comp becomes less important, therefore making your character much less unique.

The idea is that 'Battlegrounds' where it's 10 or more players on a team working towards an objective are much easier to balance since those fights rarely come down to 1 vs 1 anyway. the less people involved in the fight the harder it becomes to balance. When you are using the same character in Battlegrounds, Arenas and PvE making sure all the classes are roughly even becomes a nightmare.

even Rob Pardo thought the arena system was a bad idea.

If I was going to pick on a game design thing that I look back on and think was a mistake? We really never designed WoW to be a competitive e-sports game; it was something that we decided to start tackling because there was such a desire and demand to evolve it in that direction, to introduce competitive arenas. I'm not sure that that was the right thing to do with the game.

We didn't engineer the game and classes and balance around it, we just added it on, so it continues to be very difficult to balance. Is WoW a PvE cooperative game, or a competitive PvP game? There's constant pressure on the class balance team, there's pressure on the game itself, and a lot of times players who don't PvP don't understand why their classes are changing.

you can find the article on the WarCry Network (and I assume the escapist): http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/interviews/6773-Five-Years-of-Warcraft-Speaking-With-Blizzards-Rob-Pardo.2

Again let me point out that I am not saying it's impossible to make a competitive MMO but I don't think we're at that point yet.

Elder Scrolls.
They got the lore, they got the landmass.

Zydrate:
Elder Scrolls.

Pretty sure they've already said numerous times that they wouldn't make a TES MMO. But if they did... imagine the insane amount of bugs on launch day :O

Fappy:

Zydrate:
Elder Scrolls.

Pretty sure they've already said numerous times that they wouldn't make a TES MMO. But if they did... imagine the insane amount of bugs on launch day :O

Don't care! Do want!

Launch day always has issues, though.

Open world WW2 MMO game. But then i remember only arseholes online. Playing Battlefield, Guild Wars and WOW. I spent 3 hours on a mission on WOW until he life cos of dinner. lol. Also another wanted me to help him kill a fish....me hitting and he cast health spells on me. Another hour of my life wasted as i die. One player, all the way. Unless the multiplayer is with people you know. Even then i prefer splitscreen. More social. :-)

Something with Wildstar's visuals, Tera's combat system, GW2's gameplay and social concepts and maybe Secret World's lore would be nice, I think.

Setting: Star Wars or Warcraft. They both have brilliant settings and I like the idea of playing a Druid (watched the WC3 Medivh cinematic today - goddamn if that's not the most awesome class ever) or a Jedi/Sith. Other settings would work too, but these are my top two.

Story: At TOR level or higher, both in quality and deliverance. We're way past the point technologically where quest text is the acceptable means to delivering the entire story.

World design: Something as or more open than WoW. 3D movement (diving/flying) and zones are open, not a linear shoehorn sort of design TOR has going.

Combat: Willing to accept standard hotkey MMO combat, but if we're going for perfect, take a page out of Jedi Knight (Outcast/Academy) or TES - FPS/TPS for gun/bow using classes, first (TES)/third (JK) person action game for melee characters. I'm cool with the trinity as I think it creates a sense of teamwork, but healing needs to be looked at a little so healers don't spend their time looking at the UI instead of the game. This would probably be bettered with a non-hotkey system to begin with though.

End game: Let's start with the basics, raiding - there needs to be something for large groups of people to do at end game, so the raiding concept stands. However, it needs to be more about progression and less about the loot treadmill. For one, I'd like to see a progression model similar to what WoW: TBC used - moving from 5 mans to 10 mans to 25 mans, with attunements and a story in between. 5 mans and 10 mans shouldn't JUST be a stepping stone however, they need to be a thing of their own, but the progression should stay there, at least at the beginning (first set of raids), to both introduce players to working with larger and larger groups progressively and promote a sense of achievement.

The raid model should have a difficulty curve starting relatively easy and getting harder over time. It should strive to always have more content on the horizon for most players as opposed to getting each player through every bit of content. It should not have different settings for either size or difficulty.

That said, it must, I repeat MUST not be a "raid or die" model. This MMO mentality is dying out and every MMO that comes down to it WILL fail, including WoW itself (I don't mean fail as in shut down completely, but it's not gonna keep as many people for much longer). There needs to be stuff to do at maximum level and the more diverse things are, the better. Moreover, these endgame aspects need to get the same level of attention that instances and raids do now in something like WoW ie. they need to be updated with every patch.

Dynamic content: A fantastic way to introduce this non-raid endgame stuff is dynamic content, but it needs to not be as stale as something like Rift. Every sort of content will be repetitive after a while if not updated, but something needs to be done to make it interesting and dynamic day in and day out.

PvP: I'm not a big PvP person, but a few quick thoughts. First off, what I'd care about the most is some kind of PvPvE. Mixing PvP and PvE ends in fantastic things and if you throw some dynamic content in there, done right, I think it could be one of the major things to do at maximum level for both those who like PvP and those who like PvE.

Also, Arenas. Again, not a big PvP person, but I think Guild Wars had the perfect PvP model, certainly the best I've seen for these kind of things. Guild vs Guild is also a good idea. There also need to be large instanced battlegrounds.

Social: This adds to the diversity of stuff to do at maximum level. Minigames, social items, events etc. There also needs to be a social sense for each of the aspects of the game. For example, in PvP, guild alliances and wars would be a good idea, Guild Wars had both, though something more dynamic that could happen out in the world as opposed to being closed off in private areas would be better.

Hmm.... Not one I particuarly desire but: how about one where you get one character that has one life? (you would probably need to enter your social security number or something to make sure you only get 1 shot).
So if you die, you are dead.

Ledan:
Hmm.... Not one I particuarly desire but: how about one where you get one character that has one life? (you would probably need to enter your social security number or something to make sure you only get 1 shot).
So if you die, you are dead.

Playing Diablo 2 in hardcore is sort of like that, I think.
I don't think it's the "reroll entire character" kind of death but you lose a shitton more than you would just playing normally.

A Zombie MMO, that does it right!

Dead frontier is fine but not really what I'm after.

What I want is a MMO that focuses on survival, stealth, hunkering down, finding supplies and other players to join your survival group. The walking dead made MMO would be perfect...

Something open world, sandboxy, crafty, non-linear with a decent combat system and a working economy. An element of survivalism would be a bonus.

Yeah I know Eve-O does all that, and I love it for it. But a game without solid ground and without characters really does stretch my imagination and immersion to the limits.

If Fallen Earth had better combat and allowed me to build my own shack, that would be almost perfect.

I don't really care if it's sci-fi, fantasy, steampunk, historical or office-sim with elves. Any setting can work out well.

One that allows me to remove the MMO part.

I'm being serious, I'd love to play an MMO that gives you the option to not pay the monthly fee, and then you simply play the game as a singleplayer RPG.

I say this because MMOs seem to have the most creative and fun types of worlds to do stuff in. Like City of Heroes or Champions Online, I've yet to see a singleplayer RPG where we get to make our own super hero, yet there are 2 MMOs where that's the central theme.

This is a good idea for a thread, I had to stop and use my imagination! lets see ...

For me I think I would like a dark steam punk world probably resembling thief 2 where there are still swords and magic but also weird crazy technology. The lighting would be dim and the morale choices would be grey and personally I would appreciate it if they did not shove sex down my throat.

Maybe having 2 factions where you can be a soldier / rogue / assassin and go on missions to not only fight each other but assassinate or go on crime spree's. You can also break away from your faction and be like an outlaw or a crazy cultist of your choice (worship crazy stuff like fuzzy wuzzy monsters or something).

Pokemon and Skies of Arcadia as MMORPG. Make it happen.

Hmmmm, any MMO I could want, absolutely anything I could imagine? The mm of my dreams?

GUILD WARS 2
:P

Sober Thal:

I want one of these but with two hard to satisfy requirements.

1. Doesn't alienate you if you can't put a lot of work into it for a week.

2. It can't be "pay a fee for a second job" like WoW. That kills anything for me.

Fallout.
Make it the whole East Coast.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked