Games that could justify the purchase of a gaming system.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

It has not been always the case for me, usually I buy a console for what it offers as a whole and not for a specific game, or two. But there were some exceptions. For instance I had bought a Nintendo DS for a specific "game", well you don't exactly call it a game, "Walk With Me", a software with peripherals that allowed you to calculate the everyday distance that you walked. Also two years ago I built my first pure "gaming PC" and the first game that I played was Dead Rising 2, which I could not run with my old machine and that thing played its role in my decision to invest to a new computer.
So do you have in mind some games that lead you to purchase a certain gaming system?

I bought my PS3 solely for Heavy Rain. I followed the game's entire developement, and was so pissed it wasn't coming to the Xbox; a few days before it launched, I decided it couldn't pass it up, went and got a PS3.

Sad thing is, I enjoyed Heavy Rain alot, but the system so underwhelmed me, I've only bought 3 more games for it since February 2010, all exclusives, none of which I enjoyed as much as Heavy Rain.

Xprimentyl:
I bought my PS3 solely for Heavy Rain. I followed the game's entire developement, and was so pissed it wasn't coming to the Xbox; a few days before it launched, I decided it couldn't pass it up, went and got a PS3.

Sad thing is, I enjoyed Heavy Rain alot, but the system so underwhelmed me, I've only bought 3 more games for it since February 2010, all exclusives, none of which I enjoyed as much as Heavy Rain.

I understand what you say, I have all the Sony consoles from the era of Playstation until now. PS3 seems as the "weakest link" of this family. However there are some exclusives that perhaps can give you some more value to your investment. In case you haven't played them yet: Demon's Souls, the game of the decade in my opinion, and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, the first and the best of the series. These two come first in my mind as the best PS3 games in general. There are a couple of more, like inFamous, Little Big Planet and Gran Turismo 5 that also are worth of your time.

I massively upgraded my pc just for Shogun 2: Total War, and I'm glad I did.

If that counts?

i purchased my ps3 because i wanted to play resident evil 5, and i knew god of war 3 would be out soon so i chose a ps3 over a 360. i guess those 2 made my decision to get a next-gen console.

I'm going to buy myself a Nintendo 3DS solely for Kingdom Hearts 3D when it decides to come to the UK...

i bought ps3 for metal gear solid 4 and i do upgrade my computer specifically to play a game i really want.

Bought another 5850 for Crysis ($300)...

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it, I bought my previous PC just to play WoW (Core 2 duo and an 8600GT).

Even though it came out later, I bought my x-box for the orange box. I love the half life series and having TF2 as well as portal sealed the deal.

I bought a PSP for Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep

no single game is worth a system imo not with the cost of these damn things nowadays

doomspore98:
Even though it came out later, I bought my x-box for the orange box. I love the half life series and having TF2 as well as portal sealed the deal.

Huh. I take it you don't own a PC then... Because source engine games typically run on just about anything.

I just own a 360 but, I would buy a PS3 for:
The Last Of Us,Heavy Rain,Uncharted Series,Jak And Daxter,Sly Cooper.

I got a 360 pver a ps3 solely because of the Gears of War franchise.
I am now buying a ps3 mainly because of Demon's Souls.

I bought my Xbox360 for Halo 3, my PS3 for Final Fantasy 12 and LBP and am finding the parts to upgrade my PC for Skyrim.

I'd say Pier Solar very well justifies a purchase of a Genesis =P

Xprimentyl:

Same for me, except I bought Disgaea 3 and 4. After these 3 games, (and hundreds of hours logged) I feel my purchase was justified.

I bought my PS3 just for MGS4. Since then my collection has grown somewhat (understatement), but I bought my PS3 on the launch day of MGS4. After MGS3 I just had to play it.

bought my original xbox for halo CE, my 360 for gears of war 1, and a ds for pokemon ruby.

CrystalShadow:

doomspore98:

Huh. I take it you don't own a PC then... Because source engine games typically run on just about anything.

My parents and I are all mac people. Yes I know it's blasphemy to say it, but obviously the mac does not run games on the best quality. So I bought my x-box

Wolfram01:
Bought another 5850 for Crysis ($300)...

lol One and a half years ago, I built a super computer just to play Dead Rising 2. I was so pissed that my old pc was struggling to run it on 800X600 resolution. Well you know not only for that but I wanted anyway to build a computer that can play anything, and not be disappointed again with a game that my pc cannot run. Recently I bought Crysis, knowing that it's still considered as the benchmark for testing the graphics power of a computer. Out of curiosity I thought: "can it run Crysis? " Well it can, but not quite. It plays decently, but cannot run it at maximum settings... Wow, this game is crazy.

If big upgrades for PC counts, i have done this for:

- Indiana Jones and the last crusade
Edit: Damn, game was released in 1989... i feel old now.

- Starcraft

- Morrowind

- WoW

And will need to do it again soonish. But atm I can run the current games, maybe for Max Payne?

I'm not sure if it counts, but I bought my 360 when Modern Warfare 2 came out (don't judge me).

Basically after a year of less then exemplary service my PC (I'd always been a PC gamer previously) really started to fuck around (couldn't run a disk or even its own start-up), and I had decided to buy a console anyway. I already preferred the 360 over the PS3, but the exclusives were drawing me over to the dark side. What sealed the deal for me getting the 360 ended up being MW2. I was planning on getting the console around the time MW2 was coming out and the MW2 bundle was the best deal floating around at the time (I think including the extras thrown in by the store I worked it out to be around 300 dollars cheaper than the closest comparable deal with the PS3). So you might say I bought a 360 because of MW2.

Rheinmetall:
I thought: "can it run Crysis? " Well it can, but not quite. It plays decently, but cannot run it at maximum settings... Wow, this game is crazy.

Mhee, i am almost sure it can, and in settings comparable to max, or even the max. You just need to spend a day or two optimizing it's running on your pc.

I would have to go with Minecraft and Garry's Mod as good reasons for me to buy a more gaming compatible PC to replace the old, barely running thing I use.(and if I had the money I would too) For the 360 there's the Halo series, the Gears of War trilogy, and a lot of Kinect games.

I purchased my first Gameboy for Pokemon Red. I purchased my GBA for Pokemon Leaf Green. I purchased my DS for Pokemon Diamond. And so help me, when they put out a game that requires it, I'll probably purchase a 3DS for Pokemon Whatever.

Well, only recently I bought a PS3 just to play Skullgirls at the release. Of course by now there're over a dozen of PS3 games on my immediate wishlist but Skullgirls has finally managed to tip me over.

I bought a Super Nintendo for SimCity.

I don't think there's been a game on any console since that I'd buy the console just for that game.

While i bought my PS3 way before it was released, i did buy it to specificly play Meta Gear Solid 4. I also upgrade a lot of parts to my PC for WoW as well as my internet connection.

I purchased an N64 just so I could play Goldeneye. Those were the days.

doomspore98:

CrystalShadow:

doomspore98:

My parents and I are all mac people. Yes I know it's blasphemy to say it, but obviously the mac does not run games on the best quality. So I bought my x-box

Well, parts of my family are much the same.

Older macs were seriously bad for gaming, mainly just because there weren't any games around that would run on a mac.

Modern ones are Essentially Intel PC systems with some odd features though. This goes as far as a test I saw several years ago where they were trying to find a gaming laptop, and threw a macbook into the tests just for the hell of it. (Running windows obviously though, since the number of games released for macs isn't that great.)

Although... Those tests did show running windows on a mac had some issues.
I mean, the macbook had near identical specifications to an Asus laptop they tested, but half the performance. (And if identical components end up with that big a difference in performance, there's usually something weird going on.)

That it's even possible to run windows on a mac tells you something about modern macs though... Because that really wasn't plausible on older ones...

I guess I bought a Wii for Zelda, and a DS for Pokemon, but that's it. But that's mostly because I hardly ever use those consoles for anything else. I don't even use my DS at all any more since I've more or less gone off Pokemon. Also, those consoles are rather cheap, so it's not a huge investment.

I find it harder to justify buying any of the other consoles on one game alone. Usually it's a group of games. The reason I bought a 360 was pretty much just because it was so much cheaper than a PS3 at the time, and had a better library, but none of them were worth carrying the console on it's own. It has some good exclusives (Forza, Gears of War, Halo) but they are few and far between. Also there's usually a comparative game available for the PS3. That works both ways of course. I always try to justify buying a PS3, but I can never manage to actually make it enough to buy one myself. It does have great games like God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo (although from my experience I'm rather unimpressed with GT5), Resistance, Uncharted etc., but I still can't think of any game that I really have to own and cannot get a similar game on 360. I suppose there's God of War, but I can live without that. Recently the stuff that's drawn me towards a PS3 are the HD re-releases of PS2 games, but I already have a PS2 so it's a bit pointless.

I purchased a Wii in anticipation for Brawl, and picked up Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess to ready myself.

I bought a PS3 for God of War, well before GoW3 came out. Kept it stocked with Uncharted, Infamous, Demon's/Dark Souls, Heavy Rain until the game just glitched out into unplayable halfway through, and lots of cross-platform titles.

I bought it for everything, but I picked it over the 360 because of God of War. (Well, that, and I'm not really a shooter guy.)

Soon as it comes out, I'll buy a 3DS for Paper Mario, because I do so love the series.

Shenmue and it's sequel are the main reasons I wish to acquire a Sega Dreamcast. Sure, the game invented quick time events, but I don't give a damn! The Dreamcast is a neat little console, anyways. Cheap, too.

xbox for fable
wii for brawl
ps3 for mgs4

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked