Does sex appeal influence your game buying choices?
yes
24.8% (32)
24.8% (32)
no
75.2% (97)
75.2% (97)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Sex appeal in gaming. Does it sell games?

Pages PREV 1 2

I think it can definitely help to sell some games, but I don't expect most people to keep playing the game for that long if they have to rely on sex appeal alone.

It'll need some kind of substance to keep the player interested other than 'boobs'.

Eric the Orange:
The fact the scantily clad attractive women are in games is no secret, but my question is does anyone buy games based off of that fact?

Unfortunately, the question in the topic and the question in the poll will get two different responses. ;)

It's pretty much impossible for any sane person to deny that sex appeal sells games, without arguing that a lot of highly-paid people in huge marketing firms have been completely wasting their time. If there's one thing marketing people know about, it's how to sell stuff. So sex appeal definitely works. And it works on a far wider range of products than just video games.

On the other hand, only a minority of people are likely to admit that sex appeal has an impact on what games they buy. In fact, most of them probably don't even realise it affects their decision-making at all. In any case, it's always going to have lower weight than things like gameplay features.

Ando85:

Forlong:
Tomb Raider has some of the worst controls ever and its still successful. There's your answer.

Yeah, I always wondered if Tomb Raider starred a male protagonist if it would of turned out to be the successful series it has become. I enjoyed playing Tomb Raider 1 and 2, but lost interest by number 3. I didn't revisit the series at all until I saw Tomb Raider Legend at a bargain bin price. I got it and played through it. It seemed like a solid, yet nothing special adventure game.

she was originaly going to be an hispanic woman called laura cruz (thas why her is skin is a litle tan.) but at a latter point decided to make her british and change the name to the english equivalent of laura cruz, "lara cross".

Of course not.

Does sex appeal sell games? Is the Pope catholic and making the world safer for pedophiles?

Duh.

Sex doesn't sell games in a direct sense, at least not usually. What it does is draw attention to itself, and attention is the very ground that the concept of selling stands on.

OniaPL:
Is the Pope catholic and making the world safer for pedophiles?

Actually the Pope record against pedophilia is very good (compared to John Paul II at least). You can read this as an example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcial_Maciel

His theological works are quite a notch above John Paul's ones too.

The more you know.

I would say that I've never bought a game because of sex appeal, but I have Noticed a game out of sex appeal. For example Skullgirls and Bioshock Infinite.
I noticed these two games for very poignant reasons, but I've kept my eye on them because they genulinly seem like good games, comparatively to say X-Blades to which I noticed and then avoided.
But I would say it sells because when I draw and submit art to deviantart, anything pertaining to or having tits, is twice a popular as anything else I draw. But the trade off is is that women are challenging to draw.

The game had to be good, but adding a hot protag will make me more likely to buy it. Though the only games that sold me on sex appeal were Resident Evil 4 and Devil May Cry. I regret nothing. Honestly it got me interested in two great games I probably would have ignored otherwise. While sexiness is a plus, a game can not stand alone on it so I wouldn't buy a game just for that reason. Unless it was in a bin for >$5, then maybe.

I don't think anyone buys anything based purely on sex appeal. Consumers are smart enough to know the difference between a well-designed game and a badly-designed game, titties notwithstanding.

Having said that, a little sex appeal is fun and natural and expected. Naturally game developers can and should take advantage of it when it fits.

There's a reason why Cortana wasn't modeled after a fat balding middle-aged man.

You're not quite asking the right question.

Are mature storylines (which may include sex and sexuality) a selling point? Yes, definitely. That's not the same thing as "sex appeal" though. Are appealing characters a selling point? Yes, definitely. Sex appeal is only a part (and usually not even a big part) of what makes characters attractive, though. Being complex, well-written and interesting is a much bigger part.

So, my answer to your question is no, it's not as simple as all that.

Tanakh:

OniaPL:
Is the Pope catholic and making the world safer for pedophiles?

Actually the Pope record against pedophilia is very good (compared to John Paul II at least). You can read this as an example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcial_Maciel

His theological works are quite a notch above John Paul's ones too.

The more you know.

Are these just made-up facts spreaded by religious fanatics who want to go back to the dark ages, crucify people and other stuff?

Does a bear crap in the woods and does the Pope crap on the dreams of 200 deaf boys?

Duh.

Well of course. Sex will sell anything. If a powertool has a swim-suit lady on the box I will be more inclined to buy that, than the competition featuring a handyman.

I don't like the thought that I'm influenced by that kind of cheap tricks, but I would be naive to think it doesn't affect me.

I know that buying a razor wont make me a better fighter pilot. I know that I won't score the chick on the cover. But I also know that my subcounsciousness sometimes makes choices based on other factors than rationality.

Err no for the most part. I mean if the game is one big sex appeal than I wouldn't buy that alone (like it's like a story or bad gameplay). Sex appeal is only a minor appeal to the overall result of the game and if it doesn't have any than I don't care without it.

Nope. Sex has never sold a game not me. In fact, the game Bayonetta was complete trash to me >.>;

Stupidly over sexualized, nothing but arse flash and breast jiggle. I found no humor in the game, and thought it was completely demeaning to women. Now, they say "oh, shes a strong woman in charge of her sexuality!"
Yes, just as much as a hooker enjoy banging fat johns and giving freebies to cops so they dont get arrested.
It was a terrible DMC style game, revolving around your clothing, made of your HAIR, that constantly vanishes from your body, while you beat things senseless in S&M style special attacks. This game sold for nothing more then its sex appeal, and the makers of it ("Platinum Games") should feel terrible for making it nothing more then a fetish/hack and slash title.
The combat wasnt the worst thing in a video game, but i hated the premise, characters, and ideals behind it so much, it was all ruined, and got no enjoyment from playing it >.>;
I rented it, beat it, and returned it, telling the manager he shouldnt leave smut in the open for children to see.

But enough RAAAAAGE from me. Sex holds no control over me buying a game or not. And if anything, the blatant use of sex will make me NOT want to purchase it.

I think games have the potential to make their characters very sexy, in a way that isn't just lazy 'tits and ass' for the girls and 'huge muscles, no shirt' for the guys. A person's mannerisms, clothes, and backstory can all contribute to their sex appeal. Games, with their massive amount of run-time compared to movies and their focus on visual storytelling as opposed to books have the potential, therefore, to be better at establishing a character than either of these mediums. Meaning that we'll get to know our game characters better and they can be made sexier to us by extension; provided it's done right.
So I do feel that sex in games matters and makes for a more interesting story; personally, I'm a lot more invested in a character's story arc or plight if I'm also thinking about grabbing their shoulders and kissing them. You tend to care if the game is threatening to kill off your favorite (read:sexiest) character.

Fappy:
I say yes because its subconscious marketing. It generally doesn't have a place in conscious decision making, but if you are attracted to the images you are seeing you WILL be more inclined to buy into it. Whether you are aware of it or not.

The problem with the "subconcious" argument is that it is impossible to prove or disprove on a Individual level. I would say you could prove it in general. Because people who are in the job of marketing use it on a regular basis, so it must work on some people, or the companies are just wasting there money. And companies that regularly waste money don't survive. But I see no way of proving or disproving it's effect on an individual person.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked