23.2% (13)
Tie
5.4% (3)
5.4% (3)
Both suck!
3.6% (2)
3.6% (2)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Mario or Megaman: who has better games?

Just something random I wanted to ask. I haven't played a lot of Megaman games, so I guess Mario.

Do the Battle Network games count?

If so, then Mega Man.

I love both, but Mario wins by a mile. For one Nintendo doesn't hold Mario hostage and troll his fans like Capcom does with Mega Man. So there's that.

I found MM not fun enough to get past the difficulty so mario wins.

If we allow all of the spin-offs and such, definitely Mega Man. It would be close with just their NES games, but with X, Legends, and Battle Network, Mega Man is just out of Mario's league.

Zayle79:
If we allow all of the spin-offs and such, definitely Mega Man. It would be close with just their NES games, but with X, Legends, and Battle Network, Mega Man is just out of Mario's league.

Says the guy with the Mega Man X boss for an avatar :P

Fappy:

Zayle79:

Well...yeah. The dragon/turtle hybrid is cool, but how does he match up to a flying robot eagle with a tornado gun who you fight on top of a crashing airplane? :P

Zayle79:

Fappy:

Zayle79:

Well...yeah. The dragon/turtle hybrid is cool, but how does he match up to a flying robot eagle with a tornado gun who you fight on top of a crashing airplane? :P

I have a really awesome remix of that stage somewhere on iTunes.... too bad I am at work D:

Zayle79:

What!? Megaman X is one the greatest games period. That game was nothing but an improvement.

Well if we're only going by core series, it's a close call. Even if we include spin-offs or completely different games, we get my favorites of both series (the Mario RPGs and the Megaman Battle Network series.) so it's still a tough choice.

Still, in both cases, I say Mario.

Forlong:

Zayle79:

What!? Megaman X is one the greatest games period. That game was nothing but an improvement.

Heh. I meant Mega Man was in a league above Mario, not below.

Tough call. Mega Man has had greater consistency but that's partly because the formula is pretty much the same for each game, no risks taken. On the other hand, the last of the X-series games were awful- X7 is on my least favourite list. We're also now witness to a concentrated, unexplainable effort to destroy all in interest him by Capcom by cancelling two games that had a huge anticipation built up and then releasing that 'Bad Box Art' Mega Man as DLC.

Do the Mario Party/other sports games count?

Mario, easily. The MegaMan series stalled out on being new or interesting very early on. Granted, it regained a lot of it's mojo with the X series, but then that got stale pretty quickly too.

Mario. Bearing in mind I've only played a few of the old NES games for Megaman, I find that Mario is more accessible and is easy enough to play regardless of who you are. Megaman instead focuses on the crowd who love hard challenges without any kind of forgiveness for those who fuck up.

But I enjoy the Mega Man soundtracks a hell of a lot more than the Mario ones.

I see it as apples and oranges. They are too different for me to really compare. I've personally enjoyed Mario more, but I really like the story of the Mega Man series.

Tie.

StriderShinryu:
Mario, easily. The MegaMan series stalled out on being new or interesting very early on. Granted, it regained a lot of it's mojo with the X series, but then that got stale pretty quickly too.

and Mario is any different how?

OT: Mega Man, simply because I'll still play a Mega Man game, and greeted the fan project "Mega Man X: Corrupted' with what could only be described as a 'squee'. where as the new Mario game that recent came out was greeted with 'meh'

Kitsuna10060:

StriderShinryu:

I see what you're saying and I did ponder it myself. It's mainly because of the titles in the core series or, more specifically, the number of titles. Mario was given time to actually breathe and evolve with each title so there is, even given similar core basics, a real difference in feel to each title. Megaman quickly become more of a blur wher the only difference was an extra gadget or two and different bosses. It was just pure iteration on level design rather than any real evolution in game design.

StriderShinryu:

Kitsuna10060:

StriderShinryu:

I see what you're saying and I did ponder it myself. It's mainly because of the titles in the core series or, more specifically, the number of titles. Mario was given time to actually breathe and evolve with each title so there is, even given similar core basics, a real difference in feel to each title. Megaman quickly become more of a blur where the only difference was an extra gadget or two and different bosses. It was just pure iteration on level design rather than any real evolution in game design.

yeah, i kinda see where your going with that, but it works both ways again, cept the 'having time to breath part, capcom milked the hell out of it there for awhile. with the exception of Mario 2 (the reskin) all the Mario feel the same to me, granted Mega Man games feel the same to, but the difference is, any Mega Man level can still pose a valid threat, any boss can drop you like a sack of rocks, that doesn't kick in in Mario till what? world 5.

They have both produced great games, but Nintendo was always far more willing to innovate with Mario than Capcom did with Megaman. There are terrifyingly few Megaman games (Battle.net aside) where you don't pick eight bosses off a list one by one, gaining power from each, before heading into the multi-stage fortress of the big bad. Mario at least varied up the mechanics and gameplay, if not the story.

That being said, there has been some pretty interesting stuff with the Zero and Battle.net spin-offs. Hopefully Capcom will do more with the Blue Bomber.

I'd vote mario if only because the difficulty curve makes it a easier to get into

Mario, just because Paper Mario is awesome.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked