ME3 multiplayer, tips and tricks

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So we're finally here, Mass effect 3 is soon out, and with it comes the multiplayer that will be swarmed by new and old players as well as the demo "veterans"...and I think it can only be a good thing if we exchanged various tips on how to survive and make a meaningful contribution to the team.
I mean we are all playing the singleplayer too, right? And as such we all want the match to be a success to add to our own result in the singleplayer? Besides, it's co-op, we're supposed to help each other.
Anyway, my experience comes from roughly 100 successful N7 missions, mostly silver, where I usually (9/10 times) end up at the top in points among my team...which doesn't matter one jot, why? Because in the end the experience we all made is mashed together and we all get to share it. This means that it's not a competition and that there's no such thing as "killstealing", if you end up killing a guy I've nearly slain I won't begrudge you, I'll happily take my +200 assist and continue, the aim is to get to the end of the match after all, right?

Anyway, I mostly just shift between engineer, sentinel, infiltrator and soldier, so my tips and tricks might not be the ultimate thing for vanguard or adept, but I feel most classes share some general traits, as well as the fact that working together is a vital part of surviving to the extraction.
And since I'm no tactical mastermind I'm sure some of you will impart greater wisdom on everything I touch upon as well as what I've missed. :-)
With that said, I'll go into some general tips, on weapon and powers, then enemy specific (which of course is only Cerberus, who knows how we will have to adapt versus other foes...though I can already advice you to stay at an arm's reach from hordes of husks unless you know what you're doing)

General tips:
Stay together: as in keep at least within a reasonable range of one another so you can revive one another if one gets downed or assist by catching enemies in a crossfire. Infiltrators can be a bit more loose with this, they don't have to be on the other side of the map, but it doesn't hurt to stay further away, due to their cloak infiltrators are almost better off at a place where friendlies won't get the enemy distracted, instead s/he can lead them around with clever flanking shots and moving cloaked, drawing off contingements of enemies from the main battle line.

Don't be afraid to move: The enemy are more numerous, more powerful(if they get to put all their weight into it) and sluggish. You are special forces, you can move faster then they simply due to a willingness to move, hit them with powers and shoot them all you want, but if it's getting dangerous there's no shame in relocating and taking them on from a different direction and let them get spread out during their pursuit.
So if you're being boxed in, don't fight, run! There's no reason for you to give your life for little return when there's only four of you, instead you flee, regroup and take the enemy on fresh, reloaded and with full shields. When escaping powers like tech armour, adrenaline rush and cloak are useful powers to activate, since they will make you tougher or simply difficult to hit, survival is vital.

Watch the flanks! Okay, so you and your team is together and wreaking havoc on the enemy army advancing into the open, but wait, why did two teammates just die? And why is a phantom's sword descending on your neck? Really, when in a firefight, even more so if you didn't stay together, it doesn't hurt to check left and right, say while reloading. That way you can stay aware of where your teammates are, what they're doing, and if any enemy is creeping up on you.

Keep options. The white level is the best example of what I mean here, most players seem to congregate around the centre, mostly because they that way can get quick kills on the enemy when they appear. Some argue this is wrong, that you might instead move to a corner or a small room up north for better protection, I disagree. I'm not so much concerned about getting early kills (though slaying those appearing on the platform before they can even deploy is a good way to ease the pressure early on) but by the fact that you from there have four different directions to move in. You can therefore retreat or advance at any direction to avoid or put pressure on the enemy forces, so the central location is good for this very reason, not as a fortress, but as a place to better react to the enemy.

Objectives and revives: The best objective grabbers and medics are without a doubt the infiltrators, simply because if they've cloaked enemies almost never target them, meaning you can run up at even a friend surrounded by enemies and revive him or her without issue. But if you're not an infiltrator you should be more careful and ensure that the area is at least somewhat bereft of enemies before you decide to start hacking an objective or reviving friend. (Watch for turrets! If a friend is killed by a turret you should go after it first, not sit down next to your friend and get turned to swiss cheese as well!)

Rockets: Your rockets that you love using against Atlases? Hold on to them, treasure them! You have 2 each mission, and killing the first atlas appearing is a waste, the last 2-3 waves is where it gets really hectic and you then WANT these rockets to take out those monsters along with any supportive infantry.

Medigel: You don't have to use it the instant you're down, wait, try to keep yourself alive but not up, and hope someone comes to help you out. Heck, if it's just at the end of the wave and your team is doing well you can even allow yourself to bleed out instead of wasting a medigel pack that migth be vital in a later wave.

Weapons and powers:
Now, with the weight system in ME3 we have the issue that the more weapons you carry, the heavier the load, the slower the recovery of your powers, and all classes need their powers at some point.
With that in mind many of those playing nowadays pick one weapon and use it all the time, instead of the allowed two, this to increase the recovery time, that at max can be at 200%.
As such the submachineguns might look like a poor man's assault rifle, but bear in mind that sometimes a well timed overload is far more useful then a slightly heavier shot. I for one try to keep near or higher then the 150% mark with my sentinel, engineer and infiltrator (with the soldier I'm more generous, simply because concussive shot recharges so fast, and the Krogan manages quite well with fortification on along with a big gun) so I can swiftly regain the ability to use my powers, and therefore better handle the enemy.
In fact, thinking about keeping a synergy between weapons and powers can really help. Take the Quarian Engineer, she has no overload, but both incinerate and cryo blast are powers best used on unshielded enemies, as such my quarian uses the tempest SMG (not an assault rifle, remember, recharge of your powers is vital, especially for a power-heavy character like the engineer) that has a fast firing rate, meaning you can shave the enemy shield off pretty swiftly.
Mixing what powers you use with those of your teammates is also a great way to gain a greater efficiency, which is why a mixed team does better then a team of four soldiers or the like Overload is a great way to send the enemy shields down, mix that with a singularity and an adept and engineer can really clean house together, add a Sentinel with throw and you can send entire enemy squads flying.
And a final thing about weapons (I have more, but really, can't make this longer or I'll go crazy with myself), don't be afraid to experiment with them. Before I used to loathe the tempest I mentioned above, it was painfully innaccurate for me...then I tried shooting with it while 'in' cover...and it was suddenly as accurate as the shuriken, so test them thouroughly before you discard a weapon as useless.

Enemies:
Assault troopers: Okay, so they're not the toughest bunch out there, nor do they pack all that much of a punch. But there's many of them and each one is able to toss those annoying grenades you do NOT want to be near when they blow. All I can say is that their numbers can sometimes be a bit of a problem, especially in the first waves since they are in the majority, kill as many as you can as they deploy and it's less of a hassle dealing with them.
They also have a stunstick close combat attack that they use when up close, when they do, don't be afraid to give them a light (tap) close combat attack, it will make them stagger backwards and interrupt their attack.

Centurions: Now here's an annoying enemy, basically an assault trooper with a better gun and shields, but they can also toss smoke grenades, which annoy the crap out of us who are so eager to shoot them. You CAN see through the smoke at spots, somewhat, but it's little comfort since the enemy seems to see right through it, and will punish you severely if you think you're safe behind the smoke. Instead try to move a bit to the side and you can probably get a proper line of sight at the enemies.
As with the assault troopers, the centurions have stunsticks, but while their shields are up my above advice is fairly useless, they will shrug it off and then proceed to knock your shield down with that baton of theirs, then probably try to probe you with it, those evil bastards...

Nemesis: A sniper with a shield, takes your shield in one shot. However, they take a few moments to line their shots up, and you're warned by the sound as well as the light, so duck into cover, or if you're running in the open (As a rule I'd say: Don't get caught in the open like that, against anything.) then you can often dodge it by a quick roll or the like. You can also, if you know where they are, simply shoot them when they pop up to take a shot at you, if you knock their shields out you can stagger them, interrupting their shot, alternatively a power like overload or energy drain will also stagger them.
The nemesis does have a personal space issue, so she (it? They sound mechanical) will start running away if you get close to them, which can be very annoying since they're supprisingly swift when they get going. Taping it with a light attack can stagger her, which sets you up for a heavy close combat attack, alternatively to unload a lot of shots into her, either way, get close, make her stagger, then kill her, it's a formula that seems to work for me, at least.

Guardians: Oh how I loathe them. They have a semi-powerful gun and that shield makes them annoyingly good at avoiding damage if you don't have a steady aim (which most do, but sometimes stuff just goes wrong, don't deny it, and since dying is bad for the team, I'd say these guys are more dangerous then some give them credit for) or something like the widow or armour piercing bullets. (Or so I've heard, I've yet to test it.)
Shockwave, frag grenade and the like knocks the shield away for enough time for you to kill them though, and you can kill them from the front both by shooting their arm, feet or simply nailing their head through the slit in the shield. Due to their guns being a bit more dangerous up close (and that shield bash is just annoying) I'd advice most to kill them at a distance though.
You can also deploy a combat drone, defense turrett or similar behind them, this will cause the Guardians to turn to attack it, opening their backs to you. Stasis makes them drop the shield, and pull pulls it out of their grasp, which is another way to make the shield a non-issue.
And there's also teamwork, if one squadmate is running around them while the other stays put the Guardian will be open to being shot at the back whoever he turns to face.
In fact, I make it a rule to always shoot at Guardians facing away from me, no matter how far away they are. Why? Because if they're facing away from me it means they're facing someone else, and I bet that someone would appreciate that those advancing towers would disappear...

Engineer: Basically an assault trooper with a shield, and also the hated turret strapped to his back. The engineer is a top priority before he's deployed his turret, you want those things gone, and destroying them before they're deployed is the easiest way. If you've shot down the shield of the engineer you can actually shoot the turret strapped to his back and make it explode, nearly killing him in the process. I've also noted that it's vulnerable during his deployment animation, you can shoot it and make it explode in his face, killing both.
Once the Turrett is deployed though, it's a different issue. It will carve you up the moment it starts firing, so take cover, knock its shields out with overload or shooting, then start attacking its armour. Now a turret will fire at you when you appear, and then keep firing when you're in cover, at a point it stops though, perhaps to reload, this is when you appear to start tearing its shields and armour up, but don't stray too far from cover since the turret will soon start firing once more.

Atlas: It's a walking tank, shooting rockets, and cannon-shots that all rip shields and flesh apart. Yes, it's slow, and yes you can run rings around it and wear it down, but it's not there to actually kill you, for Cerberus it's a bonus when it does, but what it IS there for is to make you keep your head down, for you to concentrate your attention and firepower on it.
That way that horde of ants around it will appear next to you, now the size of some gleefull assault troopers willing to shoot and beat you to death. So unless you're being cornered by an Atlas (didn't I say we should stay mobile and with options how to escape!? ) your shots are usually better spent on the infantry the Atlas is covering, once they are dealt with you can run your rings around the Atlas and wear it down.

Phantoms: We all hate them. Now a phantom's 'gun' (they shoot with their free hand.) is great at taking out your shields, and not only is her gun powerful, but that sword can really carve you up. If your shields are down she can even kill your outright with that 'finisher' animation so you can't be revived.
She also has a barrier, which I've found concussive shot and overload to work the best against. (not warp, surprisingly, not sure if it's a bug...) But the without doubt best power against her is stasis. If an Asari is in your team count your blessings, she will lock down the phantom and then you should unload all hell on her, kill her fast because phantoms are annoyingly swift at shaking off such effects, it seems.
If you do not have an asari the above concussive shot and overload still works well, as does concentrated firepower, though beware her wheeling animation, it's surprisingly good at throwing my aim off, at least.
Now the thing with the phantom is that once the barrier is down and she starts taking damage, she will cloak and hide, replenishing her barrier before coming back for another go...do not let this happen. I've had surprising amount of luck versus phantoms with my soldier as of late, not just because of a spam of concussive shots, but because he's using a rapid firing gun. Let me explain, every time the cloaked phantom is hit, her cloak wavers and she becomes easier to track, you can even use powers on her if she's hit well enough. So don't let up, push the advantage and kill her off before she comes back with a vengeance.

Whew, this got longer then I planned...and I even cut some parts since I just don't have the energy to write more, (or rather, I have other things to do) so sorry. Anyway, I hope it was to some help and that others can add to what I've written, perhaps together we can make a compendium of hints and tips that will help the new players, as well as reveal things even those who've played a lot didn't know about. :-)

excellent a comprehensive tip list, I thank you for this, let me add on:

Glitches and Exploits

Map Glitching
During the Vanguard Charge, if you do a roll for cover immediately, there is a chance your character will start glitching out of the map. During this time the Full teams shield regeneration will be turned into god mode, with instantly regenerating shields.

What does this mean for other players, Invincibility, what does this mean for the other vanguard in your team. Instant Nova Spam.

Spawn Exploits

Enemies seem to follow the L4D rule of spawning out of player sight, if you cover certain key points of the map and look at them during the spawning cycle, you can control where enemies will come from, this requires full team coordination to work properly.

Though Care is needed, if a player in an enclosed location during a spawn cycle, leaves a blind spot unchecked, the game will usually land a bunch of enemies right in his blindspot, which can be absolute murder during the later waves on silver and gold difficulties.

Additionally, infiltrators running around with cloak, will often times see enemies WARP into the game, what do I mean by this, well picture a Guardian coming out of light speed from around the corner and still retaining enough speed and velocity to make a running drell seem slow.

Skill cool down and recharging clips on Soldiers.

This is a pervasive soldier glitch, where the concussive shot or carnage animations break the flow of the weapon recharge animation, its easier to pull of on rifles, thought ive seen some people manage to do it with shotguns. The gist of it is, when you run out of ammo for your particular weapon, and the clip recharge animation begins, immediately during the part where the characters hand first touches the weapon activate the concussive shot or carnage skill, this will not only keep you protected during heavy close quarters shoot outs, but it will skip over the entire reload animation. Yes this works for the Revenant as well.

hmm. I cant really add a lot. I've not played it that long.

My one tip would be that at the very start of a round to deploy a turret or drone with an engineer character so that it will shoot in the direction of where the enemies are about to spawn.

also obviously with the objectives get to them asap as this is a good source of credits which is needed for them precious veteran packs.

VANGUARDS:

As a Vanguard, you're going to be close-quarters a LOT, and as such, Biotic Charge is your best friend. Once you have it levelled up, it will fully recharge your shields every time you use it, so you should minimize your weight and use it as often as possible.

Because of this, there are very few things that are legitimate threats to you. Centurion's smokescreens will prevent you from locking on to enemies and charging, so if you find yourself in one, get out of it ASAP.

Phantoms will kill you if you give them the chance, but using charge and your other powers, you can more or less stun-lock them until they die - if you're not careful, they might one-shot you, so it's a risk. If you see one getting too close to your allies, take them out. Atlases are similar - at high levels, you can risk being around them by circling them and whatnot - but it's unadvisable unless necessary, as they can pick you up and squish you, or just missile you.

To kill a guardian, you charge them. It will stagger them, so be ready to shoot them in the head in the second that their shield is off their face. Rinse and repeat until they're dead, but this is the main reason why you should never be WITHOUT a gun, because you CANNOT kill them with your biotics unless you have a clear shot at their back.

Sometimes, you will find yourself at risk and outmatched. In these situations, you should attempt to retreat, but it's important while retreating to keep using your Charge to retain your shield - dodge backwards, then charge forwards if your shields get low. If your shields are ever low and you won't be able to get a charge off for a few seconds, don't be afraid to use a TacOps pack, it's the only time you'll ever need it.

In terms of levelling up, for the Human Vanguard at least, max out charge ASAP, get some shield strength, then focus on Nova. Nova has no recharge time, it just consumes your shields, so by alternating between Charge and Nova, you can be on a constant offensive. Nova's Half-Blast upgrade, that decreases its damage, but also its shield consumption, is a good choice, because it means in a tight spot you can dish out damage while retaining minimal defenses. Don't bother with Shockwave, it really isn't useful when you're a one-man wrecking ball anyways.

Focus on large groups of enemies, and although it's tempting try not to stray too far from the main group - focus on dealing with threats to them, rather than being on a seek-and-destroy mission.

OTHER CLASSES:

Overload and Energy Drain take down shields faster than anything else, so if you can use it, use it. It's also easy to forget that they take down Barriers, so it will make Phantoms much easier to deal with. In a pinch, it can also stun.

If you are an Asari, you have Stasis. If you have Stasis, every non-robot becomes a non-threat to you. I strongly suggest taking a headshot weapon, and focusing your attention on specialists - Phantoms, the bane of everyone else, are a joke to you, as is any single (Cerberus) enemy, short of an Atlas or a Turret.

Engineers - use your Combat Drone/Sentry Turret wisely. Throw it behind a group of enemies, and they will almost definitely stop, hold still, and turn around to fight it. Then you kill them.

Protip- with upgraded headshot and weapon damage, a headshot from the Carnifex is an instant kill on unshielded targets on Bronze. That thing turns into a head popping cannon. I easily soloed a Bronze with just that gun.

If you've managed to unlock the Asari Adept, make sure you upgrade into the stasis field. Enemies are pretty stupid and will usually just walk into it, and guardians drop their shields if you use it on them. Plus, it looks cool

When dealing with Guardians, its worth mentioning that Armor-Piercing ammo will allow you to fire through their shields. If you use the Widow sniper rifle, you have this ability by default and can bang out head-shots without worrying about clipping the shield by accident. Its nice for some of the harder difficulties if you aren't a confident shot, or don't want to waste time.

The game also makes mentions in the pro-tips that you can shatter a phantom's sword to remove their melee abilities. I assume you would do this by shooting it, but I haven't been able to confirm, since they run around like methamphetamine monkeys.

Be mindful of your race's strengths and weaknesses. A human soldier is less suited to taking damage than a Krogan, and you're allowed to have more than one character of each class so long as they're not the same race. This allows you greater flexibility--and creativity--when working with a team. For example:

Let's say that you are on a team of four players--one of whom is a Krogan Sentinel--and you are playing on Firebase White (most of my games on Silver/Gold have been on White). That central area that the OP mentioned will be our "home-base."

The enemies spawn primarily on the area beneath the ladder, or "loading-dock" as I call it, and on the landing pad. If you deploy your Krogan Sentinel at the loading dock--preferably with a supporting sniper above him who can conveniently divert his attention from the landing pad to the loading dock in a pinch--then you've effectively blocked off one avenue of attack for the enemy, allowing the rest of your team to focus on the landing pad without fear of being flanked.

The amount of strategies and tactics you can utilize are only limited by your capacity to conjure them up. Salarian Infiltrators make the best snipers, human infiltrators can be used with a shotgun/assault rifle to repeatedly flank and disable the enemy. Get thinking!

GOLD Survival Guide

General Tips

Dont Fucking Stray from the group, if you do you are fucking yourself over and your group.

Pick a Position and Hold it, you will be able to pick up your buddies if they keel over which they will.

When VIP hunt activates take your time, go as a group, flank enemies and rape the VIP with concentrated fire.

Always Take enclosed paths over open paths.

Save your missiles for VIP hunts, most people waste them early on and kick themselves when the 10th wave drops 4 Atlas VIPs on you.

If you can have a low level Team member, dont kick him unless he really sucks, having a low level Team member reduces the over all amount of enemies that come out during waves. If you play with 4 team members that are 90+, expect wave six to have 8 Atlases and 8 Phantoms

Weapons
Unless you have a Widow Maker on, you better stick with a Carnifex so you can spam skills or the Avenger.

Class Tips

Vanguard
Dont play Vanguard in Gold unless you are a god damn Jedi with Future Sight and Snake like reflexes, you will get your ass killed, if you are intent on playing a Vanguard, Play Defensively, killing anything that gets too close to your group.

Infiltrator
You are now the default Medic and reaper/intel deactivator, your job is to stay out of harms way so you can pick up your buddies.

Asari Adept
You are the Backbone of the team, Get Stasis bubble and spam the shit out of it always, leave the bio explosions to another team member, preferably a Sentinel. If you are playing with a Vanguard, the damage potential increases but so does the risk of your team getting screwed over, so unless you have a great synergy with your Vanguard Team Mate, focus on disabling enemy flankers

Soldier
You are the most useless part of the team, your best bet is to provide support and cover fire.

Krogan Soldier
If you are specced for melee go get another character, if you are specced for Tank, cover the Asari Adept and take any shots meant for her.

Sentinel Engineers
Congratulations, you can have fun in gold, just dont get separated from the team and you can blame any fuck ups to the Asari and Infiltrator

On dealing with guardians: most powers disrupt them if you hit them from behind, but there are only a few that can get rid of them in the front. Shockwave will stagger them, exposing them for a few seconds. Pull will get rid of their shield outright. Stasis will get rid of their shield and stun them. If your class has one of these skills, upgrade it even if you are not using it for other things. Hell, even if you're confident of your ability to kill them some other way, try to make sure at least one or two people on your team have these skills; you may be able to take them out easily at the best of times, but there will be times when you won't have that luxury and have to take them out (or enable others to do so) as quickly as possible, while exposing yourself as little as possible. Your aim (when trying to hit them in theirs slits) may waver, especially if there's other enemies around and you're panicking. Grenades are hard to throw accurately under pressure. And don't even get me started on charging in that situation. Shockwave, pull, and stasis just require you to use the power and get down.

As an infiltrator, if you keep an eye on your surroundings, it will be virtually impossible for you to be overwhelmed by the enemy.

Cloak might as well be an invincibility button. Just activate it and you're guaranteed to get out of pretty much every dangerous situation.

Run across the map, see if you can take down an enemy or two with your sniper rifle, wait for the enemy to close in, cloak, run past them to the other side of the map, rinse, repeat.

If you have your Cloak skill maxed, and activate it just before you interact with Intel/Reaper Indoc unit, you'll be pretty much safe from attack, since cloak will last about as long as the it takes to activate/deactivate them.

By the gods, I wish that everyone I played ME3 Multiplayer with would read this. Holy crap, I don't know how many times I've gotten screwed because the Infiltrator wouldn't F-ing do the reaper/intel deactivating, so my Asari Adept had to. That is not my job - my job is Stasis Bubbling Phantoms.

Thank you to everyone who contributed. You guys should compile this and send it to the Mass Effect Wiki. I am not kidding - do it; more people need to read this.

Daystar Clarion:
As an infiltrator, if you keep an eye on your surroundings, it will be virtually impossible for you to be overwhelmed by the enemy.

Cloak might as well be an invincibility button. Just activate it and you're guaranteed to get out of pretty much every dangerous situation.

Run across the map, see if you can take down an enemy or two with your sniper rifle, wait for the enemy to close in, cloak, run past them to the other side of the map, rinse, repeat.

Dear god this ^. Even moreso once you've got a mod on your sniper rifle that increases its damage.

See an Assault trooper? Body shot will take him down.

See a Centurion? Cloak and headshot him.

See a Guardian? Headshot him through the visor OR clip him in the leg or the arm he uses to hold his gun.

See an Engineer? Cloak and headshot him. Ditto for the turret if he gets it up.

See a Nemesis? Cloak, run towards her, headshot.

See a Phantom? Wait until she's staying still in cover, cloak, headshot.

See an Atlas? Ehh.....sticky grenade and pray?

God I love my Infiltrator. Just wish I could unlock a different race to play it as besides Human Female.

Bara_no_Hime:
By the gods, I wish that everyone I played ME3 Multiplayer with would read this. Holy crap, I don't know how many times I've gotten screwed because the Infiltrator wouldn't F-ing do the reaper/intel deactivating, so my Asari Adept had to. That is not my job - my job is Stasis Bubbling Phantoms.

Thank you to everyone who contributed. You guys should compile this and send it to the Mass Effect Wiki. I am not kidding - do it; more people need to read this.

iw ouldnt mind playing with an Asari Specialist, im sick of having to fill that role.

Add me if you are interested, my Gamer tag is in my profile.

anthony87:

Daystar Clarion:

Dear god this ^. Even moreso once you've got a mod on your sniper rifle that increases its damage.

See a Guardian? Headshot him through the visor OR clip him in the leg or the arm he uses to hold his gun.

God I love my Infiltrator. Just wish I could unlock a different race to play it as besides Human Female.

Salarian Infiltrator works really well.

They get energy drain, which is essentially like overload, except is recharges a portion of your shield.

Works really against any shielded enemies, because while you scope them with your sniper rifle, you instantaneously strip or at least dent an enemies defences and then pop them in the head to finish them off. Works really well with the Viper, since you don't have to reload after every shot and it helps negate the damage reduction with that particular rifle.

Not totally sure about this one, but enemies might be able to at least partially track cloaked Infiltrators if you disappear within their line of sight or move into their line of sight before you vanish completely. That's why you can't always sneak up on Guardians. You have to completely vanish where nobody can see you before you leave cover. I'm pretty sure they call it out to each other too. "Enemy cloaked" or something like that.

Vardermir:
If you've managed to unlock the Asari Adept, make sure you upgrade into the stasis field. Enemies are pretty stupid and will usually just walk into it, and guardians drop their shields if you use it on them. Plus, it looks cool

Bubble is fantastic. Also, makes a Phantom into a joke.

Also, I kill Atlas Mechs pretty easily with an Infiltrator. I just cloak, pop out of cover, shoot with the Mantis or the Widow, pop back into cover. Rinse and repeat.

Only tips I can really give are:
If a phantom stabs you with her sword spam your medigel, it will negate the instant "bleed out"/death.
Also if you are intent on playing gold difficulty, don't roll a melee setup class and don't roll a full biotic vanguard, you're just going to get dropped over and over. If you want to screw around with melee and full biotics play bronze or silver, but otherwise remember gold is all about everyone bunkering down and shooting from cover.
Also if you play one of the beefier classes that has weight reduction, pick up one of the heavier one shot weapons with silly high damage, like that claymore shotgun, stap on an accuracy and damage mod and use it for atlases. It really suck to play something like an infiltrator and seeing other people just carrying assault rifles and smgs and basically shooting peanuts at atlases.
Also realize that some abilities go on cooldown when you use another one, find which one you like better and max that instead of the other because you won't be able to use them both at the same time.

Mirror Cage:

The game also makes mentions in the pro-tips that you can shatter a phantom's sword to remove their melee abilities. I assume you would do this by shooting it, but I haven't been able to confirm, since they run around like methamphetamine monkeys.

Actually, I've seen that happen, actually did it by accident, but never got to see how it affected her in action. Not sure why I'd want to encourage her to use that gun more often though...

Daystar Clarion:

anthony87:

Daystar Clarion:

Salarian Infiltrator works really well.

They get energy drain, which is essentially like overload, except is recharges a portion of your shield.

Works really against any shielded enemies, because while you scope them with your sniper rifle, you instantaneously strip or at least dent an enemies defences and then pop them in the head to finish them off. Works really well with the Viper, since you don't have to reload after every shot and it helps negate the damage reduction with that particular rifle.

There's also the fact that you can upgrade the cloak so you can use a power while cloaked, essentially an injured Salarian can cloak, run away, drain a shield of an enemy and then shoot him with him now back at full shields.

Which brings me to the trick with surviving when the rest of the team is down. The Salarian, and infiltrators in general, are gods at this, but it's doable in other classes too. The trick is to keep moving, hopefully your allies whittled down the enemy before croaking, which means there are only a few left. So why take chances? Move, take cover, then take down one pursuer before continuing to flee, whittle down the opposition instead of taking them on in one great lump in some heroic last stand, your teammates want to get to the next wave, not to the lobby. :-p

Et3rnalLegend64:
Not totally sure about this one, but enemies might be able to at least partially track cloaked Infiltrators if you disappear within their line of sight or move into their line of sight before you vanish completely. That's why you can't always sneak up on Guardians. You have to completely vanish where nobody can see you before you leave cover. I'm pretty sure they call it out to each other too. "Enemy cloaked" or something like that.

I can confirm that, it's very annoying...but quite realistic.

anthony87:

Daystar Clarion:

Salarian is the BEST infiltrator by a HUGE margin.

Protip: If you max out Cloak and spec it for highest damage and least amount of cooldown, if you fire off ANY of your other two powers (shield drain, a better version of overload since it gives you your shield back, and proximity mine, which is plain fun to use) Then it will use your tactical CLOAKS cooldown instead of the other powers you use whilst cloaked. This way you can take down Atlases pretty quickly by cloaking and spamming proximity mine at it (Proximity mines will stagger the atlas, essentially STUNLOCKING IT INTO OBLIVION)

Something about Combat Engineers I haven't seen anyone mention yet. They can repair Atlas mechs.

It's a very rare occurance, only seen it happen myself once. When I was fighting a mech and had it down to around 20% armor. I looked away to kill some enemies that were flanking me, and when I turned back. The atlas was at 100% armor.

I was confused as fuck, but started laying into it again. Had it back down to 30% armor before I had to reposition myself, and when I did: Bam. 100% armor, AGAIN.

That's when I saw a Combat Engineer following closely behind the mech constantly repairing it. He was literally following it step by step and repairing it every time it took damage.
So please, for the love of all things holy, DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN!

Setrus:

Et3rnalLegend64:

I can confirm that, it's very annoying...but quite realistic.

I've seen this happen before too.

I think it is important for people to understand the differences between the different races too, and work their character build accordingly.

For example, human infiltrators get larger damage bonuses than the salarian as they level up... but cryo blast is basically useless, so your only useful abilities as a human are cloak and stickies. For the human infiltrator, I focus on making them almost a pure sniper. Max damage bonuses when possible and lots of upgrades to the sticky grenades.

Even if they are your only useful ability, sticky grenades are very nice. Throwing them does not break your cloak, and they can do great damage to atlases when they are upgraded. As a human infiltrator, you can literally cloak up, walk up to an atlas, stick all three grenades to it and run away before your cloak breaks.

For weapons, I tend to prefer the viper or widow personally. The viper does a lot less damage, but with the human's larger damage bonuses, it is still quite lethal, especially headshots. It also weighs less, and being semi-auto, it is much more forgiving and versatile in emergencies. You can actually carry a viper and SMG and get a slightly quicker recharge than with the widow. If you choose the widow, you basically can't carry any other gun, however, it will one or two-shot most any enemy short of an atlas. It can even shoot through guardian shields, making that entire enemy type totally harmless.

Now, the Salarian (and Quarian by the looks of it) play a little different. They get a lower damage bonus, but their abilities are much more useful and varied. I kind of look at it this way. Humans are dedicated snipers, Salarians and Quarians are basically James Bond-style secret agents, loaded down with gadgets. You can still build them for pure sniper damage, but they will always do a little less than the human. Their strengths seem to be in being tricky, and using their toys.

Lots of ways to do each race and each class though, but I just think some people forget that there are differences. On the bright side, every class is fun to play (except soldier =P ), which I think is a good thing in class-based multiplayer. I know I play infiltrator, engineer, adept and sentinel.

That little eye slit that the Guardians have? Shoot through that with a sniper rifle.

Anyone know how to grab enemies on the otherside of your cover, pull them over and stab them? I've seen it done a couple times, but have no idea how to do it.

Wow, amazing tips! It would be great to have some concepts explained.
Yeah, I can confirm that if you cloak in front of enemies, they will be able to guess your location, which is quite realistic and I like it.

Also the engineers repairing the Atlases. I think it's pretty cool, if I was an engineer and I see my mechas going down, I would repair them!

TsunamiWombat:
Anyone know how to grab enemies on the otherside of your cover, pull them over and stab them? I've seen it done a couple times, but have no idea how to do it.

When in cover and they're in front of it, press the close combat attack...or at least that's the advice I've been given, I've yet to have the opportunity to test it myself.

Kataskopo:

Ohh...now I'm curious, concepts like...crossfire or something? :-)

Setrus:

TsunamiWombat:

When in cover and they're in front of it, press the close combat attack...or at least that's the advice I've been given, I've yet to have the opportunity to test it myself.

Kataskopo:

Things like the abilities, sometimes I don't understand them well (I just played half of the first mass effect) and their effects on the types of enemies (what if they are shielded? or if they have a barrier or whatever?)
And sometimes the upgrades too, i'm not sure of their effect.

Kataskopo:

Setrus:

TsunamiWombat:

Kataskopo:

Things like the abilities, sometimes I don't understand them well (I just played half of the first mass effect) and their effects on the types of enemies (what if they are shielded? or if they have a barrier or whatever?)

A good rule of thumb is that most abilities will either not affect, or have their effect severely weakened if an enemy has a shield, armor or barrier up. Like, if you use throw on a shielded centurion,he might just flinch, but without his shield he can be tossed around like a normal assault trooper.

There are some exceptions. Stasis works on an enemy whether they have shields, armor or barriers up or not. That is what makes it such a useful ability.

In general, you want warp AND overload on your team at all times (stasis too, if any friends like being asari). Warp can weaken armor and overload is traditionally good against shields (and apparently barriers this time too. I guess they changed that). Overload is especially useful since it has a chance to momentarily paralyze enemies in power-armor (which is pretty much all of Cerberus). Warp is has a cool added effect too, if an enemy is being influenced by a biotic effect (pull, singularity, etc), warp will detonate it, doing extra damage to the enemy and those around it.

Any abilities or other such things you had specific questions about?

Setrus:

TsunamiWombat:

Pretty much this. Has to be in while in a chest-high wall cover, with the enemy directly on the other side. You'll know when you can do this because the "Jump over" signal on your screen will turn into a fist.

Some additional tips I can think of:

-Since Phantoms can block attacks from the front, Flanking Phantoms is vital. If you find yourself behind a phantom, blast her with whatever you got. Hitting them with cryo blast to slow them is very helpful.
Staggering phantoms is also a big advantage. Tech armor bursts, novas, Biotic charges (Not recommended due to bullshit instakills) and grenades are reliable ways to stagger her. While staggered, she is much less likely to defend against any attacks.

^Of course if you have an asari adept, they're much easier to manage.

-A point blank shotgun blast to Guardians have a good chance of blowing their shields aside making them vulnerable to attack. (Similar to hitting them with throw)

-The Combat Drone generates more "threat" than the Quarian sentry does. Although the sentry might be a deadlier tool, it does not gather as much attention as the drone does. Remember this when trying to take out Guardians, because they might not turn around to engage the turret that's tearing their butts apart or shooting flames at them.

-Biotic explosions work on Atlas mechs, and are a handy way to stun them.

hmmm I'm sure I can come up with more, but this is all I can think of for now.

rcs619:
Warp is has a cool added effect too, if an enemy is being influenced by a biotic effect (pull, singularity, etc), warp will detonate it, doing extra damage to the enemy and those around it.

Tech attacks can also be combined to cause "Tech Bursts". Just like Biotic explosions. (Combo attacks can be set off by combining all sorts of different attacks. I've set off tech bursts by using a biotic attack on an enemy affected by a tech debuff, and also by hitting them with concussive shots.)

Hitting an enemy with incinerate, followed by an overload, will "detonate" the fire effect similar to overloading the Pyro enemies in ME2.

Conversely, stunning an enemy with overload followed by an incinerate will cause a Fire explosion. (I might have this backwards though...) This can also be done with Krogan soldiers by combining Carnage with Fire grenades.

Lastly, it is possible to set of Cryo explosions as well. These are the hardest to do, because in order for a Cryo explosion to take effect, the attack used on them MUST kill them. (If you, for example, overload a frozen target at full health. It won't do anything. But if your overload kills a frozen target, it will cause an Ice explosion that will freeze/chill everything around it.)

TsunamiWombat:

When you are in cover and enemy gets very close, the Arrow icon that appears will change to a fist, when that happens use the melee attack and you will do an instant kill attack.

Kataskopo:

Setrus:

TsunamiWombat:

Kataskopo:

All shielded enemies will stagger when you use a skill on them, this includes barrier(purple), shield (blue) and armor(orange), when they have a red life bar, the normal ability skill will apply. With the Exception of Stasis, which circumvents all protections except against machinery, all other skills need you to take out the protection before applying their proper effect.

Three tricks to win:

1) Use Overload, Stasis, or other effects to stun someone and kill them. Or stun one guy and kill his friends first.
2) STAY TOGETHER AT ALL COSTS
3) CONCENTRATE YOUR FIRE AND NEVER LEAVE YOURSELF EXPOSED.

Honestly three is the most important.
I would tier the enemies as: Phantom, Atlas, Nemesis, then Centurion, Guardian, and Trooper at the same level there.

No enemy, at any level can long survive 4 players concentrating fire on them, short of an Atlas.

Also if someone goes down, DONT CHARGE IN UNLESS ITS SAFE. I cant count how many times people have wandered into a perfect crossfire or a Phantom, or an Atlas. It saves your ass, and their med kits greatly to do this.

Dont play the hero ever, and always keep in mind that any foe can kill you if you dont focus.
I have gotten mobbed my Troopers, and trapped by Guardians and it aint funny.

Just always play as a team and you are 4 times as good as you would be if you dont.

If you have unlocked the Widow sniper rifle you will have a very easy time killing Guardians. Your bullets will fly right through their shields and result in an instakill, even on gold if you're a cloaked infiltrator.

tmande2nd:

Vanguards and infiltrators are allowed to leave the group.

Warp supposedly damages biotic shields, but i've never seen it really be effective. Then again, the only enemies currently who have them are Phantoms, who are fuckall annoying and always dodge or block. Overload is far more effective on Phantoms, as it cannot be dodged or blocked.

Fredvdp:
If you have unlocked the Widow sniper rifle you will have a very easy time killing Guardians. Your bullets will fly right through their shields and result in an instakill, even on gold if you're a cloaked infiltrator.

tmande2nd:

Vanguards and infiltrators are allowed to leave the group.

as long as it isnt gold.

Even Vanguards and Inf. should not do that.
I have seen on Silver them getting caught to far away to be helped far to often.

On Gold its just suicidal to even think of leaving the group.
LFD2 shows us that.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked