15.2% (5)
No, keep her gender ambiguous
72.7% (24)
72.7% (24)
Other (Post in thread)
12.1% (4)
12.1% (4)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Poll: Should Capcom have a vote on Poison's gender?

A while ago Capcom annouced the the character Poison would be included in the upcoming game Street Fighter x Tekken. Of course, no one can discuss Poison without discussing her gender.

Thats where the Youtube user MegatonStammer comes in. He recently posted a video on his channel that tries to decide on her gender. In it he mentioned that some of Poisons creators "hinted" at having a vote to decide her gender. Thanks to MegatonStammer, i now firmly believe Capcom is a giant company of trolls. (The fighters themselves now comment on Poison's masculinity in a way im sure is a nod to the fans).

Point is, i think that if Capcom had a vote to finalize her gender it could be a double-edged sword. On one hand, it will leave the decision up to the fans and let them decide what she is. On the other hand it's been one of the most memorable gaming debates for the past 20 years and the ambiguity is one of the reasons she is so liked.

So what does the Escapist think? Should there be a vote on her gender? Or should it remain ambiguous?

MegatonStammer's video. Watch it if you can. It's good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lj-9npanOI&feature=channel_video_title

Poison is what Poison is, and that is awesome.
I vote ambiguous, as it has always been.

I say vote so we can all fap to her without feeling self-conscious :P

Fappy:

Ahh, but what if the community votes to make her an official transgender?

Patinator:

Fappy:

Ahh, but what if the community votes to make her an official transgender?

Then many will likely seek therapy :(

No. If they need to settle the "debate", make what is already known official, and watch the internet rage in a glorious, indignant fire as boys the world over question their sexuality.

Ambiguous, because it really doesn't matter what gender Poison is. It's a game character ffs. Anyone who desperately needs to know so they can fap to Poison has got some issues going.

Just make her/him a hermaphrodite and end it there . Thats a scandal for you . And free publicity . Plus they wouldvet bonus points for having the first hermaphodite character ever!

chimpzy:
Ambiguous, because it really doesn't matter what gender Poison is. It's a game character ffs. Anyone who desperately needs to know so they can fap to Poison has got some issues going.

The video does go over that, to an extent. Yes it doesn't matter her gender gameplay wise. But! People get attached to the characters in the games they play. It just happens. Sub Zero, Alyx Vance, Jade, Dan Hibiki, Farah. In all of their games people love the characters for who they are and want to know as much about them as possible.
Some, maybe a lot of people want to have it be decided cause they want to fap to her, thats true. But i don't think it's the majority of people. Imagine, one of your favorite game characters, you don't even know what their gender is. Whether i agree with it or not, I can understand it.

Does anyone else find the idea of leaving her gender identity up to a democratic process weird?

Leave her be and let the gamers who can't take a hint (well, multiple hints) stay confused.

yunabomb:
Does anyone else find the idea of leaving her gender identity up to a democratic process weird?

Leave her be and let the gamers who can't take a hint (well, multiple hints) stay confused.

I like how you say that, but constantly refer to him as "her" anyway. ;)

I say just have her be a futa.
Honestly, how many people buying this game won't know what a futa is? It's the best of both worlds! Also I can fap to futa...

No.
If there was a vote open to the public all the guys would vote girl so they wouldn't feel gay when checking her out.
Just leave her as she is, sheesh, theres scarce enough diversity in gaming, so getting rid of a character just because she makes straigh guys feel icky is just batshit lunacy.

Loop Stricken:
Honestly, how many people buying this game won't know what a futa is? It's the best of both worlds! Also I can fap to futa...

I wish people on the internet would just stop mentioning those things... I mean, it's not like anyone ever asks "Hey, bro, what do you wank to? Well... that's kinda boring! Don't you have anything more unusual?" Everyone just kinda seems to have the urge to tell random people on the about their fetishes... on that matter i'm all for "don't ask, don't tell" or at least "Only tell if someone else asked"

PsychedelicDiamond:

Loop Stricken:

I wish people on the internet would just stop mentioning those things... I mean, it's not like anyone ever asks "Hey, bro, what do you wank to? Well... that's kinda boring! Don't you have anything more unusual?" Everyone just kinda seems to have the urge to tell random people on the about their fetishes... on that matter i'm all for "don't ask, don't tell" or at least "Only tell if someone else asked"

Well, if you're going to take everything you read on the internet so very literally, of course you're going to feel like that.

Nah, it gives the fan-art people something to do.
Besides, it's Capcom. Chances are that even if they were given the chance to choose Poison's gender, they'd still keep it ambiguous

Baron von Blitztank:
Nah, it gives the fan-art people something to do.
Besides, it's Capcom. Chances are that even if they were given the chance to choose Poison's gender, they'd still keep it ambiguous

It would probably step on the least toes overall i suppose. Like i said in the original post too, I now think Capcom is a giant bunch of (awesome) trolls.

Aris Khandr:

yunabomb:

I refer to a person using pronouns that match their gender identity. Plus that's how Capcom refers to her. That's also the best thing to do irl.

yunabomb:

Aris Khandr:

yunabomb:

I refer to a person using pronouns that match their gender identity. Plus that's how Capcom refers to her. That's also the best thing to do irl.

I was under the impression that Poison was a transvestite (someone who dresses as the opposite gender for sexual/fetish reasons), not a transsexual (someone who has the opposite gender identity).

I was under the impression that Poison was a transvestite (someone who dresses as the opposite gender for sexual/fetish reasons), not a transsexual (someone who has the opposite gender identity).

And thats the beauty of Poison, everyone has different opinions!

Aris Khandr:

This shows the problem with a character like Poison, who has so little characterization. You have to infer her gender identity. I infer that her gender identity is female since she consistently presents herself as female (although some form of genderqueer identity is also possible).

well personally i think poison should remain the way poison is since the beginning. i mean samus was a great character blasting his way through all the levels to the end. and when gamers found out he was really a she people still loved her even if she was a chick with a gun. so if poison's gender is determined well i bet people will still love her or him regardless. just love of the game

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then who gives a shit if it's actually a Drake ..... with breasts.

Phasmal:
No.
If there was a vote open to the public all the guys would vote girl so they wouldn't feel gay when checking her out.

Thanks for generalising, that helps everyone.

/s

Phasmal:
No.
Just leave her as she is, sheesh, theres scarce enough diversity in gaming, so getting rid of a character just because she makes straigh guys feel icky is just batshit lunacy.

lolol lovin the generalization there

always classy ;)

OT: I'm not a huge fan of the series, so can't exactly comment too much, but with all the confusion going on i would simply have the character as a hermaphrodite, but meh, if they have a vote, then so be it. (will be interesting to see all the responses to it)

I prefer it remain a mystery....though she'll always sport a dick in my mind.

Bloody hell who necro'd this thread?

Matthew94:

Phasmal:
No.

Thanks for generalising, that helps everyone.

/s

gmaverick019:

Phasmal:
No.

lolol lovin the generalization there

always classy ;)

OT: I'm not a huge fan of the series, so can't exactly comment too much, but with all the confusion going on i would simply have the character as a hermaphrodite, but meh, if they have a vote, then so be it. (will be interesting to see all the responses to it)

Oh I do apologise. SOME guys. Better?

I thought it was already known that Poison is a female, but due to NOA rules Poison had to be made a transgendered.

What a weird thread to get necro'd. Anyway...

OT: It's already been settled; she's a pre op transsexual in the Japanese games and post op in the Western ones.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked