13.7% (38)
13.7% (38)
whassa isometric?
5.4% (15)
5.4% (15)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: God I miss Isometric

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

By all that is holy I miss isometric perspective.

Baldur's Gate, Red Alert 2, Age of Empires 2, Diablo 1 and 2, Fallout 1 and 2. Pretty much 90% of all decent PC gaming experiences used it back in the day. Man isometric perspective rocked.

Why does no one make isometric RPGs anymore? Even on handheld's they're super rare. The iPhone should have at least one decent one.
Why does every RTS need to be able to swing cameras around like crazy? They don't. It's stupid.

So yeah...Anyone with me?
miss isometric?
Want it back?
what were your favorite isometric games?

oh and this includes oblique and trimetric projection as well, before mathematitians jump on me for fallout

I'm replaying the Megaman Battle Network series right now, and I love the isometric look of the games. Also, I've just decided, I'm going to bring this up with our project leader for the game I'm (meant to be) working on. I'd find it easier anyway to design the levels with an isometric look, and hopefully it would make the graphics look more professional and pretty (and God knows we need something to do that, given what I've had to work with so far. Not trying to be nasty, but even so...)...

But yeah, I've always preferred isometric design to simple square blocks and tiles. It just makes it look, I don't know, more 'real'...

Isometric was awesome.
I hate how everything has to be converted to FPS/TPS perspective these days.

My favourite games are still Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate series and Planescape:Torment.
I wish someone would make a decent sequel to those games.

:)

Doitpow:

Why does no one make isometric RPGs anymore? Even on handheld's they're super rare.

Someone still does. Runic Games' Torchlight II uses it, IIRC, and is due out "Real Soon Now". Supposed to be very good if you're a Diablo II fan, so I'm watching for it.

Mmmm isometric. Had a nice throwback with Bastion.

I do like good graphics and all that, but I can see uses for isometric. Some of the best RPGs are isometric.

I think it's a little like how Resident Evil originally had those static cameras, and while annoying it actually greatly added to the scaryness of the game. In a similar way, only showing a top-down view of everything removes a little but it also adds to an experience in a different way.

I don't. I hate the isometric view. I want to be able to freely look around and when you can't control your character directly it becomes even worse. Isometric perspective can work (like in Bastion) but most of the times I find it just annoying to look at my character(s) from the sky. Third person perspective is what I'm most comfortable with.

Tayh:
Isometric was awesome.

My favourite games are still Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate series and Planescape:Torment.

Fallout 2 and Baldurs Gate pretty much fucked themselves over with their endings, how would you go go about making decent sequels to clusterfucks like those, if you arent satisfied with what came from one of them?

I don't miss isometric. 3rd person gives a lot more camera freedom.

skywolfblue:
I don't miss isometric. 3rd person gives a lot more camera freedom.

You are not welcome here.

I'm joking obviously.

The downside of an isometric viewpoint is that your viewpoint is limited to a short range around you. Sure, you can get a better grasp of your immediate surroundings, but it essentially restricts all encounters to a ten meter radius.

While I'm certainly nostalgic about many of the games that used it back in the day, for the most part I can't say I really miss it. I did use the zoomed-out camera extensively during combat in Dragon Age: Origins but for the most part I find third person a lot more free and visually impressive since you can actually see out into the distance, get a sense of height and don't have to worry about things being hidden by walls.

I like it when a game gives me the option to switch between Isometric and full 3D camera modes. Dragon Age 1 did this particularly well. Dragon Age 2 omitted it so... they could make ceiling textures. That you never see.

boag:

Tayh:
Isometric was awesome.

Fallout 2 and Baldurs Gate pretty much fucked themselves over with their endings, how would you go go about making decent sequels to clusterfucks like those, if you arent satisfied with what came from one of them?

Clusterfucked? Clusterfucked!? Since when is a story well told and closed properly instead of being a sequell hook translated into "clusterfucked"?

I agree, they ended so that sequels are impossible, but that's in this case a good thing.

Also, bring in some isometric, but hmm, didn't Bastion try it and pulled it off rather well actually?

Personally I've had more fun playing Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate, and Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (all for the first time) in the last year or so than I have with any new games released this generation. So yes, I'm a fan.

It's not the perspective that what made those games great though (moving around was often annoying). Still, perhaps returning to it today would mean more time spent on mechanics and quest design, and less on making everything pretty.

I dunno, the Isometric view seemed to mess with the map quite a bit (in C&C Tiberium sun especially, you frequently got the bottom centimetre of the map cut off)
And I remember the first time I found out that I could zoom right in to my high fidelity units in Tiberium Wars. Compared to the tiny, pixelated sprites of T.S., there was no comparison.

But in a small time, retro-y game for handhelds, Isometrics would still do the business excellently. I'm surpried it isn't used more.

You're missing "it doesn't really matter, the vantage point is not one of the main reasons RPGs have declined."

Several of the pioneering RPG series out there weren't even isometric. Wizardry, Might and Magic, Eye of the Beholder, etc.

Even Pool of Radiance was a 1st person/top down combo.

ResonanceGames:
You're missing "it doesn't really matter, the vantage point is not one of the main reasons RPGs have declined."

Thank you very much.

No, I don't miss isometric. It's an antiquated piece of technology that still has it's uses on low-end platforms (handhelds, phones) but there are way better alternatives on more powerful platforms.

Isometric is just needlessly restrictive for both the player and the developer. It also really fucks up perspective.

Wolfram01:
Had a nice throwback with Bastion.

I was about to say, imagine an old-school CRPG with a Bastion-type aesthetic.

...shit, gotta go change my pants.

Doitpow:
Why does no one make isometric RPGs anymore? Even on handheld's they're super rare. The iPhone should have at least one decent one.
Why does every RTS need to be able to swing cameras around like crazy? They don't. It's stupid.

So yeah...Anyone with me?
miss isometric?
Want it back?
what were your favorite isometric games?

Isometric is out? Didn't recived the memo, i spent hundreds of hours on SC 2 and DotA 2 last year, will play Tourchlight 2 and Diablo III this year too. Grated, it's not "true isometric", but 3d models with isometic inspired perspective.

Isometric RPG? Wouldn't know, i have been drifting away from RPGs since the end of the PS one era.

I still go back and play my old iso RPGs from time to time... most recent was a heavily modded playthrough of Icewind Dale featuring Final Fantasy IV/VI characters.
As an aside, making bows, daggers and small swords usable by clerics in a 2nd ed. D&D Infinity Engine game is a pain in the ass.

This gives me some small hope, though seeing "mobile ports" mentioned in reference to the company stomps on that hope a bit.

Smertnik:
I don't. I hate the isometric view. I want to be able to freely look around and when you can't control your character directly it becomes even worse. Isometric perspective can work (like in Bastion) but most of the times I find it just annoying to look at my character(s) from the sky. Third person perspective is what I'm most comfortable with.

roughly this. in dragon age i spent probably 80% of my time in third person while 20% of it zoomed out in a semi isometric view, just because i liked controlling the camera look better.

I'm gonna say Bastion for a start.

And then follow up with a nice link for you: http://www.classic-retro-games.com/Adventure_games_5.html

Yes I miss Isometric 3D - as others have said Bastion was a wonderful throwback though.

Regarding isometric games that I enjoyed: Ultima Online was time-consuming but fun; Pharaoh was very involving; and Throne of Darkness conjures up a lot of fond memories.

But it's all about the IMMERSHUN now to this new breed of gamers. God i hate that word.

But like ResonanceGames said, they used to have 1st person, 3rd person and Isometric ones. It was nice to have the variety and different styles.

Especially for the tactical ones where positioning of party members is crucial, it's nice to have that overhead view.

I miss isometric games too.

If I had the option to continue the trend of "EVERYTHING'S A GENERIC FPS!!!!" or go back to isometric, I'd gladly watch the stale FPS/TPS genre burn to the ground.

Just on my umpteenth playthrough of BG2 and it is delicious.

So I guess im pro-iso.

I loved being able to switch between OTS and isometric in DA:O - oggle at finishers and monster detail from up-close one second, enjoy beautiful scenery and a convenient tactical view the next.

It certainly has a place in modern gaming, but since it's not really usable on a console and takes quite a bit of extra work it's not very high on most developers' priority lists.

I love me some Isometric games! I am playing Final Fantasy Tactics right now, that's some good game right there!

To be honest. I am struggling to keep up with the projection angle mentioned here! I know it is all to do with dimensions and things, but in simple terms can it mean anything between top down and side veiw? I suppose the true isometric is when 3D is made into 2D, so that objects placed at different distances have sligtly different dimensions right? Kind of why jumping between platforms in some games that use that type of view can be difficultm because it is harder to tell where the platforms are in relation to eachother...

In terms of that type of game, then it is good that games like Mario have moved on... makes it a whole lot easier!

Otherwise I think the view type will stick around longer still... The recent success of Bastion will probably kick start some money thirsty developers, and the recent upheave of handheld gaming via the Vista/3DS and phones will probably encourage more games using this angle!

Smertnik:

Finally someone who shares my opinion. Jesus christ, everyone else seems to just be all over the isometric view, but it's what's kept me from going back and completing baldur's gate 2 or starting fallout 1 and 2, or neverwinter nights. Third and first person are a lot better, or even just being able to move the camera would make it more tolerable.

Meh, isometric wasn't that great. I'm not against it being used in more games if it's suited to it, but if it's not necessary then it shouldn't be there. But I generally prefer 3rd person overall. But wasn't the point of isometric supposed to be that it made a game look 3D when it really wasn't? We haven't needed that for decades. But whatever, I can see why isometric works well with things like RTS games. Just as long as it stays away from racing games. I really don't get why they still make racing games with a a top down/isometric view when we don't have to. It's the worst perspective you can have for that type of game!

I do miss isometric games, but I think it has more to do with the games (especially Planescape: Torment and Fallout) than with the perspective itself.

I don't miss it. I consider Third Person the natural evolution of the isometric view. I don't think isometric holds any advantages over third-person, while third-person eliminates the most annoying disadvantage of iso: the blind spots.

It's fun for tactical, turn-based stuff, but otherwise, no.

Cheap and beautiful, I definitely miss it, despite the fact that I wasn't actually gaming much when it was the standard. It's a lot easier to make a good looking game in a 2d isometric format than it is a full 3d one, so ideally it would either allow games of greater scale to be created for the same cost, or allow riskier games to be developed due to the lesser budget.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked