whassa isometric?
5.4% (15)
5.4% (15)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: God I miss Isometric

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Tayh:

endtherapture:

Baldur's Gate 2 Throne of Bhaal ended perfectly. All the story threads were wrapped up.

A sequel would just sour that. It didn't need an ending to set up that sequel because it was the end of the Bhaalspawn saga. If there was a sequel it'd just feel incredibly cheap.

As I said, it doesn't need to have the same lead characters.
You don't play the same character in Fallout 2 which you ended Fallout with, for instance, but Fallout 2 is still a great game.

What's the point in calling it Baldur's Gate then? It will just be yet another D&D game set in the Sword Coast.

endtherapture:

What's the point in calling it Baldur's Gate then? It will just be yet another D&D game set in the Sword Coast.

... So?
Fallout did it, Neverwinter Nights did it, Dragon Age does it, Elder Scrolls does it.
Hell, BG2 barely had anything to do with Baldur's Gate, but that didn't stop them from using the same name and tacking a '2' on it. Same with NWN.
Come on, don't make me break out the flowcharts and diagrams.

Tayh:

endtherapture:

... So?
Fallout did it, Neverwinter Nights did it, Dragon Age does it, Elder Scrolls does it.
Hell, BG2 barely had anything to do with Baldur's Gate, but that didn't stop them from using the same name and tacking a '2' on it. Same with NWN.

Have you played Baldur's Gate 2?

It was set a few months after Baldur's Gate 1, in the neighbouring land, with the same player character. It also had appearances by loads of the NPCs in BG1, and continued the story of the Bhaalspawn.

I dont think you have a clue what you're on about if you think BG2 had nothing to do with BG1.

I really don't miss it. In RTS, where it is all basically an abstract mesure for sight of your units etc, it works fine. In a tactical game like Commandos it really annoyed me that my dudes had a vision like myself when I'm not wearing my glasses. A free moveable camera is better. Period.

gmaverick019:

Smertnik:
I don't. I hate the isometric view. I want to be able to freely look around and when you can't control your character directly it becomes even worse. Isometric perspective can work (like in Bastion) but most of the times I find it just annoying to look at my character(s) from the sky. Third person perspective is what I'm most comfortable with.

roughly this. in dragon age i spent probably 80% of my time in third person while 20% of it zoomed out in a semi isometric view, just because i liked controlling the camera look better.

I was the opposite. I pretty much zoomed up as high as I could go 2 seconds after gaining control of the camera and left it there for 99% of the game.

endtherapture:

Tayh:

endtherapture:

... So?

It was set a few months after Baldur's Gate 1, in the neighbouring land, with the same player character. It also had appearances by loads of the NPCs in BG1, and continued the story of the Bhaalspawn.

I dont think you have a clue what you're on about if you think BG2 had nothing to do with BG1.

He is right though, a sequel doesn't necessarily have to follow the same characters. Black Isle had the intention of making a third Baldur's gate game, and it didn't follow the Bhaalspawn. It more a sequel in terms of gameplay, which is fine. The story concept sounded awesome as well.

Condiments:

endtherapture:

Tayh:

... So?

He is right though, a sequel doesn't necessarily have to follow the same characters. Black Isle had the intention of making a third Baldur's gate game, and it didn't follow the Bhaalspawn. It more a sequel in terms of gameplay, which is fine. The story concept sounded awesome as well.

Doesn't that mean it's just Icewind Dale then?

Isometric is still the best for RTS games, nut overall i feel that modern camera perspectives are far more superior.

There's a reason it was phased out.

Yeah, I love isometric. Normally I'll accept that modern games are superior to older ones in the technical aspect, but there's something about running around on an isometric map that makes exploration seem more grand.

btw, I noticed you didn't include Arcanum in your list, OP. If you haven't played it yet, definitely check it out (and excuse the mediocre gameplay, the exploration and story more than makes up for it)

I miss the old SSI "Gold Box" series (secrets of the silver blades, curse of the azure bonds)
Those were the first games I played when I got a PC of my own

Well, I miss isometric for RTS games since there was never really a need to turn the camera. Things just feel a bit off in modern games.

boag:
Fallout 2 and Baldurs Gate pretty much fucked themselves over with their endings, how would you go go about making decent sequels to clusterfucks like those, if you arent satisfied with what came from one of them?

Jesus Christ. I want to decapitate you.

How is having the balls to actually end your story instead of leaving the door open to tiresome cash-ins the same as clusterfucked?

The OP didn't even ask for literal sequels to specific games, just more games in the spirit of isometric games like those (and I agree with him).

You may have been having some obscure little joke, of course. Being ironic or something like that. In which case I still want to decapitate you. I just feel like decapitating. In an isometric perspective.

I prefer Isometric because (if the game is made well) you don't have to fight the camera. And you don't have to spend alot of time searching around new rooms with the camera to find things.

Doitpow:
By all that is holy I miss isometric perspective.

Baldur's Gate, Red Alert 2, Age of Empires 2, Diablo 1 and 2, Fallout 1 and 2. Pretty much 90% of all decent PC gaming experiences used it back in the day. Man isometric perspective rocked.

Why does no one make isometric RPGs anymore? Even on handheld's they're super rare. The iPhone should have at least one decent one.
Why does every RTS need to be able to swing cameras around like crazy? They don't. It's stupid.

So yeah...Anyone with me?
miss isometric?
Want it back?
what were your favorite isometric games?

To get your modern Isometric fix please give Bastion a play through. Its short but worth every penny of your 14 bucks.

I never cared for isometric games, as I always seemed to get caught behind some piece of scenery where I had no clue what was happening. Might be kind of cool for RTS or turn-based-combat RPGs, but pretty horrible for any kind of action game, and since I prefer action games...

It's like those side-scrollers where they kept putting objects (like pillars) between you and your character. No, just NO!!!

Sandytimeman:

To get your modern Isometric fix please give Bastion a play through. Its short but worth every penny of your 14 bucks.

You know what, that recommendation is the straw that broke my stubbornness. Everyone has been recommending it, I'm going to get it...now.

Isometic view is surveyable and fast, but a similar camera angle but with a real perspective draw is also good to me.

If someone asked me, I'd probably say that I hate isometric games. I've played way too many flash games. But I know that if I get my hands on a game, I'll probably like it even if it's isometric. Basically, I would like it if games weren't isometric if they can avoid it, but I won't say that a game is bad just because of the perspective being isometric.

There are some games that used it well and some that it annoyed the hell out of me, but on the whole I don't miss it. Not having some camera control is one of my pet hates though, so I may be a little biased.

I love isometric, and am sad that it's mostly gone. Any strategy game or RPG that goes isometric gets instant points from me.

It's not just nostalgia, either. I grew up with bird's eye and third person games, and I only recently started playing X-COM, which I can agree is amazing.

Skoldpadda:
You may have been having some obscure little joke, of course. Being ironic or something like that. In which case I still want to decapitate you. I just feel like decapitating. In an isometric perspective.

May I recommend Fallout 2, then?

:P

I think one of the big points here is that the isometric view helped a lot of the old RPG's because it was cheaper. The environment was essentially a painting, there were no faces that had to be animated to match speech, and lack of camera control meant that objects didn't need a backside to be drawn.

So, you can add more dialogue options just by typing them. And level design could take a mere few hours instead of months. All of these mean more creative things could be added without the worry of adding to the animation team's workload.

Yes, the isometric view severely limits your camera control and fancy graphics. But one thing it doesn't limit is your imagination!

...That may just be the cheesiest thing I've ever typed.

I never liked isometric. Turning the map 45 degrees to make it look prettier and harder to use seemed like a step backwards. I prefer either straight top down like in Civilization 1 or Wasteland, or third person 3D with good camera controls like Total War series or Jagged Alliance BIA.

Isometric view was an aesthetic hack to make 2D graphics look 3D'ish, and there was a time when it made sense.

Skoldpadda:

boag:
Fallout 2 and Baldurs Gate pretty much fucked themselves over with their endings, how would you go go about making decent sequels to clusterfucks like those, if you arent satisfied with what came from one of them?

Jesus Christ. I want to decapitate you.

How is having the balls to actually end your story instead of leaving the door open to tiresome cash-ins the same as clusterfucked?

The OP didn't even ask for literal sequels to specific games, just more games in the spirit of isometric games like those (and I agree with him).

In Baldurs Gate you rampage across Dimensions fighting Demons and Demigods and at the end ascend to god hoood while your friends fuck off to nowheresville.

I consider that a clusterfuck ending, an Awesome Clusterfuck ending, but a clusterfuck ending nonetheless, I dont see why you would want to cause physical harm to someone, for having a different opinion than yours. Its a very irrational reaction.

Good Isometric thread with pics going on at the codex.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/just-what-is-isometric.69829/

Look at the top down view of Ultima 7 on pg2. To me it doesn't look as good as some of the isometric pics on pg 1.

Anyone else really like Nox? Or even play it? Or ever even heard of it?

That was one hilarious and awesome iso RPG.

endtherapture:

Heh.
I meant Baldur's Gate as in the *actual* Baldur's Gate. You know, the city.
In retrospect, I probably should have specified that...

I hope this outcry for isometric perspective games doesn't get too loud. Sure it was kind of neat in it's own way, but the reason those games were good had little to nothing to do with the isometric perspective. We don't need developers starting to cash in on our nostalgia by making lackluster lookalikes, if they're gonna cash in on our nostalgia they'd better do it properly! Not just by applying an old graphical style and calling it a day.

Final Fantasy Tactics was a great one. Tactical games like that just seem to fit better with an isometric view. You could still rotate the camera around too, but it kept that viewpoint.

Doitpow:
By all that is holy I miss isometric perspective.

Baldur's Gate, Red Alert 2, Age of Empires 2, Diablo 1 and 2, Fallout 1 and 2. Pretty much 90% of all decent PC gaming experiences used it back in the day. Man isometric perspective rocked.

Why does no one make isometric RPGs anymore? Even on handheld's they're super rare. The iPhone should have at least one decent one.
Why does every RTS need to be able to swing cameras around like crazy? They don't. It's stupid.

So yeah...Anyone with me?
miss isometric?
Want it back?
what were your favorite isometric games?

Id be in favor of it if they seriously polished it. I mean lordy, In fallout for example, it was such a pain in the ass just walking through doors and just overlooking shit in general.

Tayh:

endtherapture:

Heh.
I meant Baldur's Gate as in the *actual* Baldur's Gate. You know, the city.
In retrospect, I probably should have specified that...

Well it was a direct sequel which shared characters, and the subtitle was "Shadows of Amn" so it makes perfect sense.

fallout 1 and 2? those are still my favourites

although I loved age of empires, I never got round to playing age of empires 2 but hearing from others that its the best, I can assume it was.

i loved isometric in some games. baldur's gate was awesome. recently however i was playing planescape torment, and seeing as the environment was quite alien, i couldnt tell what was door and what was crate. i think isometric works well when dealing with environment that is familiar, it can make game more beautiful than full 3d because you see it as a whole, and not just what is in your field of view. sometimes environment is fantastic, but you just look in the wrong way and miss it all.

so, it is great when it fits correctly, and bad when not. yeah, i know, its mindblowing.

as to missing it? i preferred isometric when 3d was new, because you could get incredible realistic 2d, or crappy blocky 3d. but nowadays, i think it could work in indie games, because i dont think you can justify 50/60$ tag on 2d game.

AdmiralCheez:
I think one of the big points here is that the isometric view helped a lot of the old RPG's because it was cheaper. The environment was essentially a painting, there were no faces that had to be animated to match speech, and lack of camera control meant that objects didn't need a backside to be drawn.

So, you can add more dialogue options just by typing them. And level design could take a mere few hours instead of months. All of these mean more creative things could be added without the worry of adding to the animation team's workload.

Exactly. You have to look at the bad side effects modern RPGs, and how things like 3d, full VO, severely limits the depth and options in these games. Not just compare one view to another visually.

Give me a deeper/more complex 2d RPG over a dumbed down pretty 3d one any day. Since when did true RPG fans become graphics whores anyway ?

Have you heard of Basilisk Games and Spiderweb Software?
Check them out, they make some nice games.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked