What Games Should Stop Being Made?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I have been checking plenty of sites for upcoming games and I was curious what games you guys thought should have ended and are now sort of just milking the cash cow?

hmmmm

Mario

oh and if an Mass effect MMO ever happned.....

*Bangs head against something hard repeatedly

Seriously, I don't understand why you would want any game series to stop being made. Here's a tip: If you don't like a game (or series), you don't have to buy it.

Shocking, I know...

Every game series has it's fans, why would you want to rob them of it?

Gun to my head, I HAVE to choose something, I'd go with shovel-ware (or pick a shovel-ware game/series). Broken games that only exist to confuse Grandma at Christmas time.

I love these series but they all should end or become less frequent:

Call of Duty (less frequent)
Battlefield (less frequent)
Assassin's Creed (end)
Madden NFL (less frequent but with roster update DLC)
Mario (end)
Mass Effect (end after 3)
FEAR (end)
Dead Rising (end)
Resident Evil (less spin-offs)
Silent Hill (less frequent)
Gears of War (end)
Halo (end)
Bioshock (end)
Dead space (end)
Left 4 Dead (end)
Final Fantasy (end)

and in general:
Tower Defense games (less frequent)
3rd person cover shooters (less frequent)
'Fantasy' RPG's (less frequent)

tippy2k2:

Seriously, I don't understand why you would want any game series to stop being made. Here's a tip: If you don't like a game (or series), you don't have to buy it.

Shocking, I know...

Gun to my head, I HAVE to choose something, I'd go with shovel-ware (or pick a shovel-ware game/series). Broken games that only exist to confuse Grandma at Christmas time.

Hey now, no need to start assuming that I dislike games because their games will not stop, and I certainly do not want to rob any gamer of his or her favorite game series from discontinuing. This is just a little question that I asked because I am sure everyone has one or two games that has a series that should have ended and now it just seems like they are milking the cash cow too much.

way2sl0w:

Call of Duty (less frequent)
Battlefield (less frequent)
Assassin's Creed (end)
Madden NFL (less frequent but with roster update DLC)
Mario (end)
Mass Effect (end after 3)
FEAR (end)
Dead Rising (end)
Resident Evil (less spin-offs)
Silent Hill (less frequent)
Gears of War (end)
Halo (end)
Bioshock (end)
Dead space (end)
Left 4 Dead (end)
Final Fantasy (end)

and in general:
Tower Defense games (less frequent)
3rd person cover shooters (less frequent)
'Fantasy' RPG's (less frequent)

And I agree with you on CoD and GoW and AC; CoD especially with games coming out almost yearly. Mario I can sort of see but Mario is Nintendo's favorite mascot (or maybe that is Link) and they normally need one or the other to have a game on a new console to really make it an official Nintendo console.

The elder scrolls, mario, legend of zelda, call of duty, and battlefield. Rest, keep on going.

Anything to do with FIFA. I fucking hate these games. You want to play football?
GO OUTSIDE.

Vault101:
Mario

No, no, NO, NO!

Don't dare take Mario away from me, ever.

While I do not really want Mario to go away, I would not mind them finding something different for him that isn't galexy related.

tippy2k2:

Shocking, I know...

I love the Mass Effect series, but I'm going to be pissed if its not over with the third game. One thing the entertainment industry needs to learn is to write proper endings.

Witcher 1. Thats a fucking ending.

FF8. Thats a fucking ending.

A REAL ending to a story should be like a climax in sex. The culmination of all the tension in the story exploding in a blast of awesomeness.

I cant believe I just wrote that.

But its true. Sex is better because it ends. So are games/stories.

Edit: I have to moderate myself by saying that a series is not necessarily bad. I'm thrilled Witcher 2 was made, but only because I get more adventure in a world I love. Not because the story continues. I want a NEW story. If the characters from the first ones arent dead, feel free to use them, but for the love of god. Write the story, and be done with it.

LilithSlave:

Vault101:
Mario

No, no, NO, NO!

Don't dare take Mario away from me, ever.

I can agree with that: Loves me some Mario.

I don't think any games should stop being made but can we maybe take a year or two off of first person games and, dark-fantasy RPGs? Make people savor their current games and anticipate the next one in the making.

tippy2k2:

Shocking, I know...

Quoted for the truth.
My opinion NONE. I may not like them but other people like them so they can play it.
I am not arrogant and selfish enough to tell others what they should or should not like. Already to many people with the opinion "If i do not like it , it shouldn't exist" out in the world. Juts live and let live.

I hate to admit it, because it's one of my favourite games, but Halo. In my mind it was mainly a brilliant story told in game format, with multiplayer thrown in on the side. The story should have ended after Halo 3. I guess Reach and ODST were all right because one was a prequel and the other had little connection to the main storyline, but there should not be a 4th.
And yet I'll still buy it lol.

Also Call of Duty needs to either end or be less frequent.

Soul Calibur. I think they've run out of ideas.

tippy2k2:

Shocking, I know...

Because in some cases, the fans to a particular series can suck it. Nobody likes them.

Anyways, I feel that sports games in general should stop being made every year, just like COD. Not stopped completely, mind you, just slowed down.

To Be Honest, I feel there are more games that should have been givin a chance and made, than games that should be removed from exsistance.

Amethyst Wind:

What about the other fighting games? I am just curious why you picked SC instead of say CvM or Tekken.

tzimize:

tippy2k2:

Shocking, I know...

I love the Mass Effect series, but I'm going to be pissed if its not over with the third game. One thing the entertainment industry needs to learn is to write proper endings.

But why? You are not going to be forced to purchase Mass Effect 4 if it's shitty. If Mass Effect 4 is shitty, is it going to make you hate the original trilogy? Did people start arguing that the original movies now suck because Episode 1-3 was created?

I seriously don't understand why anyone would want a series to end just because they think it's a bad series. All I'm seeing in this thread are "Stop liking what I don't like!!!" people.

ChaosDemon:
Anything to do with FIFA. I fucking hate these games. You want to play football?
GO OUTSIDE.

You see, that's just a silly line of reasoning. I'm 26 years old and I live in Minnesota (check the weather for yesterday). I can't exactly find a bunch of friends who enjoy soccer (Hell, I'm in America, it's hard enough to find someone who knows what soccer is...), find a field with some goal posts, and start playing.

You like Call of Duty? Why, just join a real war (or if it's not actiony enough, just head on over to Iraq and start shooting people)? You like Final Fantasy? Huff some paint until you taste purple and start swinging your homemade sword at inanimate objects. You like Street Fighter? Go outside and punch random people until somebody starts fighting.

tippy2k2:

tzimize:

tippy2k2:

Shocking, I know...

But why? You are not going to be forced to purchase Mass Effect 4 if it's shitty. If Mass Effect 4 is shitty, is it going to make you hate the original trilogy? Did people start arguing that the original movies now suck because Episode 1-3 was created?

I seriously don't understand why anyone would want a series to end just because they think it's a bad series. All I'm seeing in this thread are "Stop liking what I don't like!!!" people.

I don't see what Star Wars has to do with this. And all I am asking for is what games do you think should end because the company in charge of the games' seem to only be making it for the money and not for the fans.

Devil May Cry

And no, I'm never going to shut up about that

tzimize:

A REAL ending to a story should be like a climax in sex. The culmination of all the tension in the story exploding in a blast of awesomeness.

I cant believe I just wrote that.

But its true. Sex is better because it ends. So are games/stories.

The only issue I have with your analogy is that it suggests that you can only have sex once. Presumably, if you are in a stable relationship, you can have sex again anywhere from 5minutes to whenever.

Your analogy works counter to your argument in that the sequels to any games would be like the next instance of sexual congress. The first act/game was completed and now we begin the next one.

To further stretch the analogy, I wonder if the single-player version of first person shooters (COD/MW/etc.) would be akin to premature ejaculation and something like Skyrim would be like having tantric sex for nine hours?

Xannidel:

Amethyst Wind:

What about the other fighting games? I am just curious why you picked SC instead of say CvM or Tekken.

Because Soul Calibur 4 was the only fighting game I liked this console generation. I already gave up on Tekken (sod those juggle mechanics) and Street Fighter is just terrible, never been interested in MvC. Dead or Alive is okay for a few rounds when the guys are over but eh.

So yeah, I liked Soul Cal 4 but then I played 5 and it just seemed so utterly lazy in design, nothing new had been added and they'd removed some of the best bits of 4.

D Moness:

tippy2k2:

Shocking, I know...

Quoted for the truth.
My opinion NONE. I may not like them but other people like them so they can play it.
I am not arrogant and selfish enough to tell others what they should or should not like. Already to many people with the opinion "If i do not like it , it shouldn't exist" out in the world. Juts live and let live.

Why can't people engage in a little experiment involving imagination? It's a completely made up question and your answers will have no impact on the world. The most you can do is provide a valid and good point that makes people think and get a better perspective on things.

Read tzimize's post.

That is a good point. That is an excellent point. That is exactly what I think - gaming industry should learn moderation. A series may be good but too much of it is bad. And sometimes a "series" is just slapping a brand on something and milking the brand itself. We need more diversity not "more of the same" all the time. Reboots and meaningless sequels don't help the series, they sap creativity and put a limit on what we, as gamers, can experience and enjoy.

And exactly as tzimize points out - they can feel free to use the setting and the world but the established plot and story shouldn't be hurt or made meaningless by retcons. New stories and characters help - reusing the old ones until they look like zombies trained to jump on command, doesn't however.

Lagao:
The elder scrolls

lolwut.jpg
TES games come out every 4 or 5 years and generally maintain a particularly high standard, I assume you want GTA to stop too

way2sl0w:

Left 4 Dead (end)

The last Left 4 Dead game (2) came out three years ago with no sign of a sequel on the horizon, how is that frequent by anyone's standards?

By all rights we should be expecting Left 4 Dead 3 sometime soon, but as we know Valve have an aversion to that number.

Final Fantasy needs to end so SquareEnix can do what it really wants to do. And that's - as Yahtzee pointed out - make CGI movies.

Seriously though, apparently they're wanting to bump the schedule and crap out a new Final Fantasy every year now...their games are already crap, I fail to see how rushing them to be produced in a year will improve them.

Xannidel:
I have been checking plenty of sites for upcoming games and I was curious what games you guys thought should have ended and are now sort of just milking the cash cow?

Samey-MMO's. I keep trying new ones, and they all wreak. WoW was alright, but I quit that after 3 months when I samey'd my way to max level and nothing was new or interesting ever again.

They're becoming like FPS'. Same game, new package. Nothing interesting to write home about ever again.

As much as I hate to say but I can understand why Pokemon (Red, Blue, Black, White etc) should stop being made (people hating the new Pokemon designs).

Odbarc:

Xannidel:

Samey-MMO's. I keep trying new ones, and they all wreak. WoW was alright, but I quit that after 3 months when I samey'd my way to max level and nothing was new or interesting ever again.

They're becoming like FPS'. Same game, new package. Nothing interesting to write home about ever again.

Hmm one thing that normally keeps me into an MMORPG that I really like to play is the lore. One aspect of WoW that kept me going for years was the lore and the previous games in the series along with the numerous novels that helped with backstory. But I can see what you mean about MMORPGs not really showing off anything new like WoW did back when it was released.

tippy2k2:
(Paraphrasing): Why want a game series to end when all that does is rob its fans? If you don't want something don't buy it.

Two reasons. One, if some of these massive series weren't being perpetuated ad infinitum, it would free up the manpower and financial resources devoted to it and allow new, creative stuff to come out there. So it's not like it's all pain and no gain. Secondly, it reads to me as more of an opinion question of which series have stopped being relevant/interesting/original/good, however you want to phrase it. It's not saying 'Which series MUST END, NOW, GRAAAGH', but more 'which ones, in your opinion, should just stop already'. Not a declaration of war, just an opinion.

As for me, I really think it's fine to continue a series if you're taking it in new and interesting directions, but some just don't do that. AC: Revelations feels like it's stagnated and run itself into the ground HARD, but I can't say I think it should end, just that it should innovate.

EDIT: Corrected quote target, woops.

R3VOLU7ION:
I hate to admit it, because it's one of my favourite games, but Halo. In my mind it was mainly a brilliant story told in game format, with multiplayer thrown in on the side. The story should have ended after Halo 3. I guess Reach and ODST were all right because one was a prequel and the other had little connection to the main storyline, but there should not be a 4th.
And yet I'll still buy it lol.

Also Call of Duty needs to either end or be less frequent.

Wait, sorry, seriously? I have no problem with someone loving Halo (my best friend loves it to death) but I can't really find it a brilliantly told story when the main character is essentially a god (come on basically MC can do no wrong) but the "multiplayer thrown in on the side" is a flatout lie. That is what the game is designed around. Sorry, not trying to bash the game or anything, but your statement confused me.
P.S. yes I do enjoy playing the game too! :-)

I cant think of any series that need to stop being made completely, but shitty movie tie in games need to die.

Pinhead Larry:

Lagao:
The elder scrolls

lolwut.jpg
TES games come out every 4 or 5 years and generally maintain a particularly high standard, I assume you want GTA to stop too

actually yes.

And this is my opinion, don't like it? Don't respond.

I can't believe no one mentioned this one. The Legend of Zelda. It's the same story in slightly different formats.

Smiley Face:

Xannidel:
(Paraphrasing): Why want a game series to end when all that does is rob its fans? If you don't want something don't buy it.

Two reasons. One, if some of these massive series weren't being perpetuated ad infinitum, it would free up the manpower and financial resources devoted to it and allow new, creative stuff to come out there. So it's not like it's all pain and no gain. Secondly, it reads to me as more of an opinion question of which series have stopped being relevant/interesting/original/good, however you want to phrase it. It's not saying 'Which series MUST END, NOW, GRAAAGH', but more 'which ones, in your opinion, should just stop already'. Not a declaration of war, just an opinion.

As for me, I really think it's fine to continue a series if you're taking it in new and interesting directions, but some just don't do that. AC: Revelations feels like it's stagnated and run itself into the ground HARD, but I can't say I think it should end, just that it should innovate.

I think you paraphrased the wrong person, and also I personally do not want any series to really end, this is all just for fun.

Everything made by EA.

And CoD.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked