What Games Should Stop Being Made?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Lagao:
The elder scrolls

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING? The Elder Scrolls are excellent games. While I haven't played Arena, I've soaked hundreds of hours into each other Elder Scrolls game. They don't come out too frequently, and they are always well-made. They support the games and have recently started to greatly support the modding community through their work with Steam on the Workshop.

I'm suprised no-one's said Fable yet, I thought that was an obvious one for most gamers :P

Me though I want Fable to continue, love the series as a whole, even 3 lol.

For me, I'd say

CoD (just plain snore fests, MW was the only CoD title that I actually liked, and I only played like 4 hours of it) and Halo (ended with reach for me)

I can't really say I should have the right to say what games people can and can't play anymore, but those two really do need to stop

Ahem....

Final fantasy (FUCKING DIE! YOUR ALL FUCKING SHIT GAMES ANYWAY!)
Call of Duty
Zelda
Mario
Sonic
Pokemon

There are more but those are my main ones ^^

As soon as I saw the title of this thread, Assassin's Creed was the first thing I thought of. Assassin's Creed games are almost as bad as the yearly CoD now. Also Halo should have stopped with Reach. It was a great way to end the series. A 4th game just isn't needed, unless somehow it's completely different to Halo 3 which I really doubt it will be.

The bad ones then I wont have to bother sorting through the chaff and can just get on with gaming. Or dont stop making any in fact make more if I dont like it I wont buy it but more choice is always a good thing.

Modern Warfare. I don't hate all CoD games but really, after the shitfest that was MW2, then the glorified map pack they called MW3 they need to just stop. But they won't. The console generation seem to love to buy the same game over and over again.

Also yearly sports games need to stop. Minor changes do not warrant entirely new full priced games.

DoPo:

D Moness:

tippy2k2:
*Bangs head against something hard repeatedly

Seriously, I don't understand why you would want any game series to stop being made. Here's a tip: If you don't like a game (or series), you don't have to buy it.

Shocking, I know...

Every game series has it's fans, why would you want to rob them of it?

Quoted for the truth.
My opinion NONE. I may not like them but other people like them so they can play it.
I am not arrogant and selfish enough to tell others what they should or should not like. Already to many people with the opinion "If i do not like it , it shouldn't exist" out in the world. Juts live and let live.

Why can't people engage in a little experiment involving imagination? It's a completely made up question and your answers will have no impact on the world. The most you can do is provide a valid and good point that makes people think and get a better perspective on things.

So i gave my answer to the question and according to you that isn't good enough. Not everyone in the world has the opinion of certain games should stop being made. Some people just like it the way it is. I might not like some series so i do not buy them but that doesn't mean they should stop making them. Any long running series is being milked in the opinion of many different people but that doesn't mean other people do not like it.

As for the excuse that if publishers stop pumping out sequels they would make new IP ... to bad most gamers scream about new IP's but when they come most do not buy them (where are the people that bought mirror's edge when it was released). People scream they want innovation but buy what they know.

I only played the first 2 fables and i thought the first one was pretty good but the second one was lacking in some ways. I have never really been a huge Halo fan but my roomates were obsessed with the series and I thought Reach was a fitting end to the series.
One of my favorites FPS games is Resistance and I am happy they ended it at 3 but I am a little irked that another company might be making more them.

Yearly released sports games. (Mostly Fifa)

Constantly repeating JRPGs with stereotypical characters (I'm looking at you FF.)

Constant repeats of old games which have long since lost their charm (Mario, sonic, Zelda etc.)

Fantasy games with the same damn story of "You and only you being the only one to save the something from the evil something!"

I wouldn't say I want any of these to completely STOP, there are fans, and some can be fun, but I just want to see less and more studios branching out with newer ideas instead of sticking to formulas which are decades old now.

evenest:

tzimize:

A REAL ending to a story should be like a climax in sex. The culmination of all the tension in the story exploding in a blast of awesomeness.

I cant believe I just wrote that.

But its true. Sex is better because it ends. So are games/stories.

The only issue I have with your analogy is that it suggests that you can only have sex once. Presumably, if you are in a stable relationship, you can have sex again anywhere from 5minutes to whenever.

Your analogy works counter to your argument in that the sequels to any games would be like the next instance of sexual congress. The first act/game was completed and now we begin the next one.

To further stretch the analogy, I wonder if the single-player version of first person shooters (COD/MW/etc.) would be akin to premature ejaculation and something like Skyrim would be like having tantric sex for nine hours?

I considered writing load blown to pun a little, but I decided against it.

D Moness:
So i gave my answer to the question and according to you that isn't good enough.

You gave your opinion but also bashed everybody else's.

D Moness:
I may not like them but other people like them so they can play it.
I am not arrogant and selfish enough to tell others what they should or should not like. Already to many people with the opinion "If i do not like it , it shouldn't exist" out in the world. Juts live and let live.

Because people in this thread are arrogant and selfish? Is that why they decided to share what they think should stop? No, it's a complete speculation. Saying "I think this or the other has outlived its usefulness" does not make a person bad.

As a former fan of Sonic and Pokemon...

Sonic and Pokemon.

Pokemon could at least be salvaged if they stopped recycling Red/Blue and made an original RPG again. As it is right now, gamers only buy the new Pokemon games for their tweaks to the multiplayer.

Generic loli fest rpg with generic plot. YOUR KILLING THE ****ING GENRE. Also why would ANYONE play a game like Record of An Arghest war when pretty much EVERY srpg the ds can play is better?

Rpgs that do not require you to think at all AND have dull plots. Why do games like SUikoden Terikass even exist? Did the person who make that game have Christianity and Determinism explained to them by a 6 year old? Why is a game targeted at teenagers who have played other games EASIER than Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, a game targeted at young children playing their first rpg? And people complaing about MQ's lack of challenge but give Suikoden Terikass, "Glory" of hercules, Sands of Destruction and Eternal Sonata a free pass? BULL****.

Rpgs that try to coast by on spectacle or misuse their budget.
Eternal Sonata is a great example of this. Final Fantasy 13 wasn't a bad game, but the ridiculous amount of time and money it had it should have been A LOT better. Rpgs are REALLY not a genre where you can get by on spectacle. Games in general need to cut back on this, but if your an rpg maker and think this can work, you don't actually understand rpgs and will just further damage to the genre. Go make another bargain basement worthy shooter.
Also I adored Birth By Sleep, but I would happily have traded the lush graphics for better fleshed out characters and a better script. But the combat system is good, so I guess Crisis Core is a better example of style over substance (why do we need a DUMBED DOWN version of the KH battle sytem? Why does anyone think we need Genesis?)

Retraux rpgs. The majority of 8bit rpgs and 16 bit rpgs that aren't Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger are not that good and we really don't need to go back them. Even the good ones have aged. Fortunetly I think this one is dying, as anyone with more than 2 brain cells can see Shadow Dragon is a poor Fe compared to the GBA games.

Bad license games. A given, but will keep going as long as people are stupid enough to buy them.

"Free" online games where victory is determined by you ability to buy things and grind mindlessly. I'd rather just buy a completed game rather than play your not really free shovelware game. Also I fail to see the point of those Facebook games where victory comes from being able to invite more people to the game than anyone else. Thats not a game, thats a meme virus.

tzimize:

tippy2k2:

Seriously, I don't understand why you would want any game series to stop being made. Here's a tip: If you don't like a game (or series), you don't have to buy it.

Shocking, I know...

Gun to my head, I HAVE to choose something, I'd go with shovel-ware (or pick a shovel-ware game/series). Broken games that only exist to confuse Grandma at Christmas time.

I love the Mass Effect series, but I'm going to be pissed if its not over with the third game. One thing the entertainment industry needs to learn is to write proper endings.

Witcher 1. Thats a fucking ending.

FF8. Thats a fucking ending.

A REAL ending to a story should be like a climax in sex. The culmination of all the tension in the story exploding in a blast of awesomeness.

Edit: I have to moderate myself by saying that a series is not necessarily bad. I'm thrilled Witcher 2 was made, but only because I get more adventure in a world I love. Not because the story continues. I want a NEW story. If the characters from the first ones arent dead, feel free to use them, but for the love of god. Write the story, and be done with it.

Any continuation of mass effect is just going to be in the universe it wont involve shepard bioware confirmed this ages ago it will be a completely new story

Every game series Capcom wants to work on, so they have to get back to Megaman. Seriously, did they forget how popular those games are?

Prince of Persia should be axed to. Sands of Time was great, but after four tries they still haven't been able to release a game in the series that compares. Just end it and let us enjoy Sands of Time. Maybe re-release the game with some minor gameplay improvements.

lRookiel:
Ahem....

Final fantasy (FUCKING DIE! YOUR ALL FUCKING SHIT GAMES ANYWAY!)
Call of Duty
Zelda
Mario
Sonic
Pokemon

There are more but those are my main ones ^^

How can you say that about Final Fantasy? 4, 8, 10, 11, 12, & 13 are crap for sure; but not the other games. They're great.

And Zelda!? Are you serious? Why axe a series that has been consistently great for 25 years? Wind Waker was amazing and Skyward Sword was great. Twilight Princess was...okay, but not as impressive as it first appeared to be. The only Zelda games that were total crap were the CDi games, and even Nintendo agrees. Adventure of Link is a mixed bag, but that game is over 20 years old. You have to go back decades to find an even remotely poor Zelda title. The other series you mentioned had several bad titles very recently, so your complaints on them make sense.

lets see:
assassins creed, FIFA, Call of duty, spyro the dragon, ben 10, uncharted, final fantasy, diablo, warcraft, fallout, mass effect, dragon age,resident evil.

thats what is at the top of my head atm.

tzimize:

tippy2k2:

Shocking, I know...

Gun to my head, I HAVE to choose something, I'd go with shovel-ware (or pick a shovel-ware game/series). Broken games that only exist to confuse Grandma at Christmas time.

I love the Mass Effect series, but I'm going to be pissed if its not over with the third game. One thing the entertainment industry needs to learn is to write proper endings.

Witcher 1. Thats a fucking ending.

FF8. Thats a fucking ending.

Edit: I have to moderate myself by saying that a series is not necessarily bad. I'm thrilled Witcher 2 was made, but only because I get more adventure in a world I love. Not because the story continues. I want a NEW story. If the characters from the first ones arent dead, feel free to use them, but for the love of god. Write the story, and be done with it.

That's what they're doing with Mass Effect (at least, that's what they're saying they're doing). Shepard's story ends with 3 and we get a new story and characters in the next game(s). I really like that--they don't have to milk Shepard's story long after it's dead just to keep making ME games, and it looks like they're not going to.

Edit: Whoops, getoffmycloud already said this. It's easy to miss the second page on these forums.

Any game that has been annualized or has less than a 3-4 year development cycle. Barring of course if they can revolutionize the IP or genre in that time.

I love call of duty, I have most of them save for world at war, mw3 and the sole reason I got black ops was it was where my social group was at the time, and it was in a different setting than every previously offered.

However the cycle is ludicrous now, not respecting that they kill off the old game more or less when the next one comes out, everyone will be over on blops 2 this november and mw4 the following.

This comes back to the dlc problem where they add 70 bucks worth of maps for a game that gets 1uped shortly after all the content is released for it. The gaming equivalent of apple products, buy now, regret it when we shove the new one in your face 6 months later.

Now having said this, call of duty gets this flack because it does so incredibly well. Which in turn gets everyone to follow suit.

I want something to happen before we set in stone annualized games with day one dlc, multiplayer passes, 200 bucks worth of dlc that is mostly just cool stuff taken out because they knew you'd buy it. and then get one upped the following november 14th.

If your game is nothing more than a reskin with new story, cut development right now.

Sonic: the hedgehog

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

Duke Nukem

None, really. More games for me to buy at bargain bin price when I ignore them for a couple of years.

tippy2k2:

Shocking, I know...

I agree, I don't see the need to get rid of any game series. If you don't like it don't buy it but don't say that people who do like shouldn't get to play it.

LilithSlave:

Vault101:
Mario

Don't dare take Mario away from me, ever.

I'm with you, I like Mario.

Mario, Zelda, Halo (until they start making them like the fucking advertisements), Sonic, Call of Duty (Less frequent, more polish, no more 5 hour single player), Final Fantasy (after versus 13 just stop, please) and The Sims.

Can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Smiley Face:
One, if some of these massive series weren't being perpetuated ad infinitum, it would free up the manpower and financial resources devoted to it and allow new, creative stuff to come out there. So it's not like it's all pain and no gain.

But that's not how the industry works unfortunately.Take CoD for example.If Activision decided to stop making CoD games with immediate effect do you really think their dev studios would be free to work on new creative games?No they'd just be put to work on whatever franchise Acti thinks is the next one it can milk annually.Do you think we'd see a decline in military FPS games?No because there's clearly a massive market for them so all we'd get is other companies rushing to fill the void

If you don't like it, don't buy it; I see no reason to posit opinions on what series require what release timings, if any, especially when a form of entertainment which has so many venues is under scrutiny.

As long as the series remains relatively consistent and loved by its fanbase, I really don't see any reason why they can't go on forever. There are a lot of games out there that I have no real love for, Madden, Halo, Elder Scrolls, anything Bioware, FPS genre in general, but I do not want to see them disappear from the shelves. Instead, they should be there for the people that are interested in them, and so should be all the stuff that I'm interested in.

I would reserve a few caveats to this:

If the franchise falls into self parody, like the Guitar Hero franchise, then it probably should disappear for a half decade so people can start wanting it again.

If you have three or more production houses working on franchise installments simultaneously just to make sure you meet some one game a year quota, you probably should retire the franchise for a time.

If you just release the same game every year anyway, consider a subscription based model, where the disc is all the information that makes the game run and make everything else downloadable content. It would save EA so much money if they just did not make Madden 13 and make it just Madden. They can charge a little more for the disc, say 70.00 dollars, and something reasonable for the season pack, like 25.00 or something.

Battlefield, anything made directly by Nintendo right now.

LilithSlave:

Vault101:
Mario

No, no, NO, NO!

Don't dare take Mario away from me, ever.

how is any new mario game different from any other mario game though?

your content to spend money on the same game very year?

same thing for zelda, nintendo has been milkin these cows for far too long

Xannidel:

Odbarc:

Xannidel:
I have been checking plenty of sites for upcoming games and I was curious what games you guys thought should have ended and are now sort of just milking the cash cow?

Samey-MMO's. I keep trying new ones, and they all wreak. WoW was alright, but I quit that after 3 months when I samey'd my way to max level and nothing was new or interesting ever again.

They're becoming like FPS'. Same game, new package. Nothing interesting to write home about ever again.

Hmm one thing that normally keeps me into an MMORPG that I really like to play is the lore. One aspect of WoW that kept me going for years was the lore and the previous games in the series along with the numerous novels that helped with backstory. But I can see what you mean about MMORPGs not really showing off anything new like WoW did back when it was released.

Little reason to jump to other MMOs. I abandon many MMOs for this reason. It's horrific when they can't even improve on older games. Of if you end up with 10 useless skills to start off with. I think the one I tried yesterday, by level 3, I would start a 1v1 fight (they're always 1v1), and I pressed 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 to use those skills in turn. None of it really mattered.

Games that I don't like.

oh man </thread>. Or something like that. Because how dare someone have a different taste in games from me. This is directly impacting my happiness, even though I don't play those games. Grr!

Well IDK if I'm hitting the spot with this really, but I do feel that a lot of the MMOs around are shooting themselves in the foot by following the WoW recipe, and that games that do this should stop. From what I can see, the vast majority of MMOs that do this (...and the vast majority DO) tend to fail because WoW simply does it "better". They have the experience, the loyalty, the funds and the background to beat almost anyone trying to snatch a piece of MMO pie.

Then again many of the MMOs that try to do something new fail too, so I guess the question becomes "how does one do an MMO in a new way that will get people playing continuously?"

No idea... Personally I liked the way Fallen Earth did it. Shame not enough others did, likely something to do with the massively annoying problems and bugs the game experienced in the first year or so ater release release X3. My favorite part was the extremely detailed and vast crafting system in that game. I think WoT does so well because it's the only proper Tank MMO out there (or tank game hands down, not counting a few pretty decent simulators and older games). It doesn't really compete with WoW. While I love the customization options in APB: Reloaded (more companies do this please!!!), it's messy combat kind of spoils the atmosphere. There's much more being angry and fustrated than there is having fun, for me anyway. The only things I could be sure of enjoying was sitting around making my character and her clothes awesome. Combat could be neat if you fought against someone you were somewhat equal with in experience, weapons and level, but as soon as you get into a fight with someone that plays a lot more than you (and I play so many games, never dedicate myself to a single one at any time), you'll end up getting killed 20 times in a row easily and do nothing sensible at all. Very annoying *shakes fist at bunny-hopping supershotgunwielders of doom*.

And Zelda for purely selfish reasons, I'm tired of friends going on and on about how the "new Zelda game is sooo awesome", but every time I watch them play it I get that distinct feeling of having seen them play in that area before in a previous game... Perhaps with worse graphics, but still.

Lagao:

Pinhead Larry:

Lagao:
The elder scrolls

lolwut.jpg
TES games come out every 4 or 5 years and generally maintain a particularly high standard, I assume you want GTA to stop too

actually yes.

And this is my opinion, don't like it? Don't respond.

Why? Justify your opinion at least. If TES and GTA were coming out every 2 or so years, yeah, I'd understand. But it was 4 years between Oblivion/IV and Skyrim/V. No need to be so touchy because someone's called you out.

tippy2k2:

Shocking, I know...

THIS!
This repeated a hundred times!

Seriously, I you don't like it, don't play it. It's simple. I don't like many games, but I've never thought that they should stop making them.

evenest:

The only issue I have with your analogy is that it suggests that you can only have sex once. Presumably, if you are in a stable relationship, you can have sex again anywhere from 5minutes to whenever.

Your analogy works counter to your argument in that the sequels to any games would be like the next instance of sexual congress. The first act/game was completed and now we begin the next one.

To further stretch the analogy, I wonder if the single-player version of first person shooters (COD/MW/etc.) would be akin to premature ejaculation and something like Skyrim would be like having tantric sex for nine hours?

If you over look that each game is one experience, your rebuttal of it would work. However, you are adding way too many things to it. Each game is one experience and each sexual encounter is one experience also and should only have one climax where everyone is satisfied. If it leads to multiple sexual encounters later on down the line, or coming back for multiple sequels, well that really depends on how good the first one is.

way2sl0w:
snip

May I ask how L4D ended on this list? Two games of which the last was released 2009 and no announced followup... I would not call that "frequent".

Please help me understand :X

On Topic: I'd like to stop ads that are shoved down my throat about games I don't give a crap about...

Maybe a little off topic, but I am a strong believer that Final Fantasy should never end. Even when it gets to Final Fantasy XXVII, but mean why should it end, each game is pretty unique and very much liked. Even XIII had it's fans. *Includeing me*

I would just like to see how far they can get and if they keep such great quality.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked