What Games Should Stop Being Made?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

tippy2k2:
*Bangs head against something hard repeatedly

Seriously, I don't understand why you would want any game series to stop being made. Here's a tip: If you don't like a game (or series), you don't have to buy it.

Shocking, I know...

Every game series has it's fans, why would you want to rob them of it?

Gun to my head, I HAVE to choose something, I'd go with shovel-ware (or pick a shovel-ware game/series). Broken games that only exist to confuse Grandma at Christmas time.

Because it's a discussion forum and that's a discussion topic

Shocking, I know. . .

Foolproof:
Because them making a new series is utterly unthinkable.

What's the difference between colorful platformer 1 with silent protagonist, and colorful platformer 2 with silent protagonist? Nintendo hasn't been too terribly big on spoken dialogue and making a Mario game with someone other than Mario doesn't make it a different game. There are a plethora of platformers out there that aren't Mario. What's wrong with Nintendo's business model? It's not stagnating the market any and their games change dramatically with each iteration.

When a game series needs to end.

Any game series where you run the same boring bull shit as the previous game(s)
Example Call of Duty, Battlefield and other series that are clones of it

Series with sucky game play, story or shit/non-existant endings
Ending like the Sopranos ended would work if done right, given the right context, but not as a cop-out.

When you make New versions of the same game over and over
How many new versions of the exact same game we need? When you re release the exact same game with a different sub title more than 2 times its time to give it up and move on.
When you have already the Original Game, Gold Edition, Game of the Year Edition and Best seller edition your beating a dead horse.

Example how many versions of Street Fighter exist?
Street Fighter II the World Warriors, Street Fighter II Turbo, Street Fighter II Champion Edition, Super Street Fighter II, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Street Fighter II Turbo: Grand Master for Matching Service, Street Fighter II 3D, Street Fighter: the Movie: The Game, Street Fighter II Anniversary Edition, Street Fighter II HD Re-mix.

That is 10 versions of the exact same game

Fianl Fantasy, they should stopped at about... eh 4? I hate those games and all games like them.

I'm not going to read all 5 pages, and yet I'm shocked an appalled that no one mentioned Sonic on the first page. I can't think of another series where a game comes out and no one cares, so they then release another pile of shit so that no one can care for that.

Instead I see a few votes to axe Mario? WTF? Sure, I agree that whoever is designing the Mario games lately has no clue how to make something that holds a candle to Super Mario World or SMB3, but that doesn't mean the series is dead. The games are still somewhat functional, and are aimed quite well at their target audience.

TK421:

I would actually agree with this to a point. I love many of Nintendo's franchise's, (the exceptions that come immediately to mind are Pikmin and Star Fox, but to each their own) however I do feel that a number of them have been reached the point where adding on to it only does more harm than good. The Legend of Zelda is one such franchise. I love that series, I've loved it ever since I first got a look at the first game waaaaaay back when I was like 8 years old and didn't really understand what the game was about, but loved it anyway. I can't really comment on Skyward Sword as I currently can't get past the first Dungeon (stupid Ghid... what ever his name is), however ever since I first saw the promos for Spirit Tracks (which I still haven't played) I've begun to wonder if this series' best years are behind it. Another Nintendo franchise that comes to mind is Metroid, although personally I think Metroid should have ended after Super Metroid, but that's just me, possibly allowing for Metroid Prime, but otherwise, no.
I also feel the same way about many non-game franchises that I've enjoyed. Star Trek for one. I know how much of a shame it'd be to have it end after so many years, but after the end of Enterprise I found myself wondering where they could take the franchise from there. Much to my dismay I found out, didn't I?

I can think of a couple. These are not games that I PLAY, but I think they should end.

Pokemon should end. It's just getting old.

And Halo should end. The series is over already.

Anything with the Tom Clancy label on it, including the older series of games like Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell.

Final Fantasy. Seriously guys stop buying them, it's obvious they want to make movies instead but you just won't stop buying their games.

Its strange, there are a few series which I know they're just milking now and refusing to let them die, but I'll still get them when they come out and be at least a little excited for them.

Pokemon
Legend of Zelda
Mario
Final Fantasy

I love them all - dont want them to end but maybe make them less frequent and try something else?

Mmm.....yeah, there are a couple of exhausted franchises that come in my mind:

Metal Gear Solid
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Castlevania
Final Fantasy
Metroid
Devil May Cry
God of War
Mass Effect
Elder Scrolls
Assassin's Creed
Civilization
Hitman
Pokemon
Soul Calibur
Tekken
Street Fighters
Mortal Kombat
Colin McRae Rally
Duke Nukem
Wolfenstein
Doom
Call of Duty
Medal of Honor
Battlefield
Uncharted
Gears of War
Halo
Tomb Raider
Mario
Zelda
Grand Theft Auto
Driver
Need For Speed
Gran Turismo
Forza

Did I miss something?

ccdohl:

tippy2k2:

Seriously, I don't understand why you would want any game series to stop being made. Here's a tip: If you don't like a game (or series), you don't have to buy it.

Shocking, I know...

Gun to my head, I HAVE to choose something, I'd go with shovel-ware (or pick a shovel-ware game/series). Broken games that only exist to confuse Grandma at Christmas time.

Shocking, I know. . .

Good answer.

Final Fantasy.

It's like a once-beautiful starlet who has been washed up and abused by her agent, but she still gets forced out to perform even though she's got nothing left.

Nothing that someone enjoys, I may not like CoD but many, many people out there do.
So games that no-one likes... shovel-ware!

I was satisfied with the end of the Guitar Hero series. As it was tossed to Activision, they ruined rhythm gaming's reputation built by Harmonix and Konami. I still really enjoy the Rock Band series, as each game kind of brought something (with the exception of Lego and Green Day) and I would enjoy the prosperity of Harmonix and Rock Band.

canadamus_prime:

I also feel the same way about many non-game franchises that I've enjoyed. Star Trek for one. I know how much of a shame it'd be to have it end after so many years, but after the end of Enterprise I found myself wondering where they could take the franchise from there. Much to my dismay I found out, didn't I?

Indeed. Next Generation was really where "real" Star Trek ended for me. They tend to ruin movies this way too.

way2sl0w:
I love these series but they all should end or become less frequent:

Call of Duty (less frequent)
Battlefield (less frequent)
Assassin's Creed (end)
Madden NFL (less frequent but with roster update DLC)

should be all sports games

Mario (end)
Mass Effect (end after 3)
FEAR (end)
Dead Rising (end)
Resident Evil (less spin-offs)
Silent Hill (less frequent)
Gears of War (end)
Halo (end)
Bioshock (end)
Dead space (end)
Left 4 Dead (end)
Final Fantasy (end)

and in general:
Tower Defense games (less frequent)
3rd person cover shooters (less frequent)
'Fantasy' RPG's (less frequent)

Other than my addition I completely agree with your whole post...

I think most sequels that are the same engine should be DLC.

There are no games that should stop being made.
There are games that should be made more.

ccdohl:

tippy2k2:

Shocking, I know...

Shocking, I know. . .

I did discuss; I stated that no game series should be eliminated and gave a reason. This is more discussion value than about 75% of the posts, which just state: "I Think X Should be banned" and give absolutely no reason (and the ones that do give a reason usually is just "IT SUCKZ!!!" with no value).

tippy2k2:

ccdohl:

tippy2k2:

Shocking, I know...

Shocking, I know. . .

I did discuss; I stated that no game series should be eliminated and gave a reason. This is more discussion value than about 75% of the posts, which just state: "I Think X Should be banned" and give absolutely no reason (and the ones that do give a reason usually is just "IT SUCKZ!!!" with no value).

Well, the guy wasn't suggesting that we round up a posse and go smash games. He was just asking people to discuss which game series they want to see end.

You took the sort of strange stance of saying that the market should decide which game series should continue and, if you don't like a game, you shouldn't buy it. Duh, we know that.

What we don't know, is what our fellow escapists are tired of seeing, and the clever and fun ways in which they articulate their dislike for those series.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked