Image of Assassins Creed III's main character leaked

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

...anywhere other than America would have been fine. We already have plenty of games/media set in America/this particular era of history, so I'm hoping this is a fake. I'm sure it'd be fun to play, but this story needs resolving with Desmond first.

I am no longer purchasing the third game.

mightybozz:
Dammit. I was hoping for a female protagonist.

Have you no sympathy for Desmond, sir? Imagine how uncomfortable that'd make him. Also, relentless mocking from Shaun.

...and I liked the plot of the previous games :,(

So, what's the betting that the Brits are all racist and horrible and the Americans want to free slaves and are all really nice and stuff?
Fuck The Patriot.
I hope they play this right but I can already see how it's gonna go: "Hurr durr America is teh BEST LOL!!"

So many great eras they could have visited, so many great wars and times of unrest and they choose this? Ah well. If they do it right it'll be okay but there's too much potential for it to be just another patriotic game full of lies.

TheCaptain:

mightybozz:
Dammit. I was hoping for a female protagonist.

Have you no sympathy for Desmond, sir? Imagine how uncomfortable that'd make him. Also, relentless mocking from Shaun.

...and I liked the plot of the previous games :,(

Ah I did quite like Shaun, even if he was a little 2 dimensional and predictable when he gets sarcastic at every single thing anyone says or does. So some vicious mocking would be quite welcome.

Haha, well, this may restore my faith in the series. I love that era, and if done well, this could be amazing. Doubt it will top RDR as my favourite western though :P Also, hope they improve the outfit, looks a bit messed up at the moment :)

I like it. I like it a lot. Especially if the new assassin really is half Native American. It's never been done before. And American Revolution is a really cool setting. So many important historical figures, and a really important moment in history. If you remember in one of the previous games puzzles, there was a painting of George Washington with the Apple of Eden.

Yassen:

ablac:
How could the ancestor be a native american. Th bloodline runs from the middle east to italia making it impossible to include a native american. I really had my heart set on victorian london because I was interested more in that and im not sure how you could have the extremely tall buildings in colonial america but i supose we can only wait and see.

Actually the bloodline doesn't run from the Middle East to Italy, Ubisoft has come out and said that Altair and Ezio aren't actually related. Desmond is the descendant of both Altair and Ezio but they have different bloodlines that merged with Desmond's family. So it's entirely possible for this third ancestor to be entirely unrelated to the previous protagonists.

Fair enough. I dont know much about that time period itself in the colonies so im now wondering howw they would achieve the huge expasive cities and tall buildings that are a large part of the series.

Its certainly a major part of history but it feels like a cop out. An easy way of finishing it with uber patriotic bull. I do hope they represent this for what it is rather than the evil british templars vs the good american, pith fork wielding rebels.

Bernzz:

Disclaimer: To counteract the inevitable member bitching at me for being anti-American, I'm not. I'm just sick of games set in and focusing on America. They could go to any point in history, really, and they chose America. As I feared.

Exactly how I feel, too. There goes any interest whatsoever I had for the game.

Chainsaws_of_War_2:
Good lord Ubisoft, you're almost becoming as bad Activision with these games. Who wants to buy a new Assassin's Creed every year?

Assassin's Creed 3 has been in development since AC2 was released. And it's not something they can simply lie about. It will be obvious if they're telling the truth once the first gameplay is revealed.

mightybozz:
Ah I did quite like Shaun, even if he was a little 2 dimensional and predictable when he gets sarcastic at every single thing anyone says or does. So some vicious mocking would be quite welcome.

Actually I don't think there's a chance they're not bringing him back. If that comedian guy is still up for it, that is.

I'd really be missing the team if they move on with the series one day. But then again, I tend to get rather attached to characters, so it's probably just me. I'm already missing Ezio and Altair, too.

Adam Jensen:
Especially if the new assassin really is half Native American. It's never been done before.

Sarcasm?

...and wasn't Cordell Walker part native american?

Marketing to Americans 101.

There's like a hundred more interesting periods(for all the thing that make AssCreed what it is, dicking around on rooftops of medieval civilzations, swordplay, interacting with famous/exotic characters of history etc.) yet they have to go and pick one of the blandest just to appeal to the american market. There will be lots of americans buying it just to see if they can be buddy buddy with benjaming franklin, if washington was an assassin, if some of the british were templars and so on. I am getting bored just typing this.

Ubisoft just lost the opportunity to go on less treaded(and thus more interesting) ground in order to sell more units since revelations was a mild disappointment. They are selling out bigtime.

Holy land around the crusades and renaissance italy are also quite ubiquitos in games but those periods have/had HUGE potential in them, especially the renaissance period. What the f**k are we gonna do in the american revolution? I know, we will help the americans against the british and .....

No offense to our american counterparts but the setting just isn't as interesting as others could have been. Not from a historical pov, not from a aesthetic pov(compare the arhitechture of early colonies to medieval rome or jerusalem and you'll see what I mean) and I worry that swordplay will lose out to guns(as if we needed more games where you can shoot stuff). If Ubi keeps going into modern times, pretty soon Desmond will be messing about the NY skyline like a freaking Peter Parker.

Hugga_Bear:
So, what's the betting that the Brits are all racist and horrible and the Americans want to free slaves and are all really nice and stuff?
Fuck The Patriot.
I hope they play this right but I can already see how it's gonna go: "Hurr durr America is teh BEST LOL!!"

So many great eras they could have visited, so many great wars and times of unrest and they choose this? Ah well. If they do it right it'll be okay but there's too much potential for it to be just another patriotic game full of lies.

good sir, the Ubisoft Montreal made the AC franchise.... its highly unlikely that they are american patriots, because most of them are not americans

zombiekiller1907:

Hugga_Bear:
Fuck The Patriot.

good sir, the Ubisoft Montreal made the AC franchise.... its highly unlikely that they are american patriots, because most of them are not americans

Ubisoft have a lot of canadian and european employees, this is not done out of "patriotism", it's pandering to the large american market in the most direct way possible.

oh, for chrissake! Why this? Just, effin, why!? I was hoping for 1800s England, or WW2 Russia, or the French Revolution, or 50s US (when the Templars became Abstergo), or even the unification of Germany, but, but, the American revolution as a Native American in abastardised AMERICA! FUCK YEAH! Histry, with a bastardised Native Culture, with that abomination of a period outfit!?!?

Weirdly, it seems half the forum agrees, the other will try to get me banned.

Hey, here's a way to get all the Yanks out there furious: You woulda lost the revolutionary war if it wasn't for good ol' France saving your bacon!

TheCaptain:
Sarcasm?

It was all sarcasm. Except for the last sentence. There really is a painting of Washington with Apple of Eden in one of the previous games. Personally, I wanted Victorian London or French revolution. Musketeers FTW!

Oh, and the American Revolution is not an interesting time period. Here's what happened: America was sick of the high british taxation rate and, instead of just complaining, or sending a guy, they sank a British ship. The war started then, but the Brits really weren't all that into it. They didn't really want to hold on to the colonies, they just fought as a matter of principle. Then the French joined in, siding with the Yanks, and Britain pulled out because America was far more trouble than it was worth.

In other words: Shame on you Ubisoft for abandoning whatever awesome idea you had come up with in favour of this blatant pandering to the American market. I hope you realise that now the only people who will uy this game are Yanks, now, right?

willofbob:
I hope you realise that now the only people who will uy this game are Yanks, now, right?

I'm excited as hell for this and I'm not a yank.

This has far from sold it for me.

I'm going to play it REALLY safe and just wait for some actual game play or a features list to appear. I'm not spending 40 just to "finish the story", AC got bland for me after Brotherhood included multiplayer and didn't really add too much with the singleplayer over AC2. IF they can show me that they're doing lots of new, clever things whilst keeping the really good old stuff, then I'm sold - but if not I'm happy with my older copies of the games.

Mass Effect 3 can finish teh story whilst improving an acclaimed game drastically, finishing the story with lots of awesome new features; so I'd like to see AC3 do it as well.

But I'm not going to jump to conclusions just yet. I will have to see if it's worth a purchase.

Question is, would it even make sense to try and win over the american market like this? I always thought the kind of overblown patriotism you see in the movies was more of a caricature than anything else - and even if there ARE people who feel that strong about the states, do these people make up the bigger part of the US gamer population?

TheCaptain:

mightybozz:

Actually I don't think there's a chance they're not bringing him back. If that comedian guy is still up for it, that is.

I'd really be missing the team if they move on with the series one day. But then again, I tend to get rather attached to characters, so it's probably just me. I'm already missing Ezio and Altair, too.

Adam Jensen:
Especially if the new assassin really is half Native American. It's never been done before.

Sarcasm?

...and wasn't Cordell Walker part native american?

Also Turok

Is he rocking a sweet beard?!

willofbob:
Oh, and the American Revolution is not an interesting time period. Here's what happened: America was sick of the high british taxation rate and, instead of just complaining, or sending a guy, they sank a British ship. The war started then, but the Brits really weren't all that into it. They didn't really want to hold on to the colonies, they just fought as a matter of principle. Then the French joined in, siding with the Yanks, and Britain pulled out because America was far more trouble than it was worth.

In other words: Shame on you Ubisoft for abandoning whatever awesome idea you had come up with in favour of this blatant pandering to the American market. I hope you realise that now the only people who will uy this game are Yanks, now, right?

It would be weird for the British at the time to be very "into it"(squashing the rebellion in the colonies) since they had a lot of trouble with the French(globally their interests were divided and they were at constant war with eachother). And there was that Napoleon guy as well...

Anyone interested in the history of that time knows that they had far bigger and more pressing problems than those 13 colonies rebelling.

I played up to brotherhood but honestly by this point I don't care anymore. The series appears to have staled and I'm not really interested in playing it anymore.
This looks kind of interesting but not enough to make me want to play it.

I'm satisfied with this, as long as this Native American Assassin is kept to the side of the main storyline of Desmond. It'd be thrilling if they did a contrast between Desmond and this new character, as they both learn how to manage their art with guns and weaponry.

Perhaps they'll even decide to forgo the Animus in favour of Desmond's seemingly natural ability to recall the past of his ancestors, and have the whole Bleeding Effect and Ancestor Gameplay as a mere facet of a greater scheme.

The potential for symbolism here is amazing.

There should be an Assassins creed based in Victorian England. Just think, Jack the Ripper :D

That sounds good...That actually could have been a lot worse but dammit, I still want to play as an actual Ninja in one of these! At least it's finally Assassin's Creed 3 though instead of 2.9 or something.

Janus Vesta:
Can we have a source on this? I'm not really doubting you but I've seen plenty of high quality fan art for Assassin's Creed in the American and French revolutions.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/891809-assassins-creed-iii-set-during-american-revolution-confirm-leaks

...meh?

I'd really have preferred middle/western europe during the french revolution and/or Napoleon. Maybe the revolution during your younger years and Napoleon when the character is older. Cites could be Paris, Berlin and Vienna.

Or Victorian-era England/British Empire. Could also have a little steampunk in it for some great gadgets.

But what is up with the white cloak? It seems like it doesn't really fit into the period.

Eeeeeeh, I am slightly dubious about this idea, hopefully this is actually story driven and not just 'Heheh, money to be made'.

But as I saw the pic I thought about the point that has been commented on before hand, where is the great architecture and city-scapes in Revolution America? IIRC it was mostly wooden buildings and 2 floors at best, please correct me if I am wrong. :)

Although I wonder if old Benjamin Franklin will be the new Leonardo/Piri Reis character, bit of a mad tinkerer?

Also Gothic/Victorian England would be much better to climb around and jump across tall ships on the Thames, but I am biased. :P

skywolfblue:

That outfit is a horrid abomination. I mean absolutely shitty. Trying to mix the original outfit with revolution era buckles, just wrong wrong wrong. Go one way or the other.

I don't think it's really shitty, more so that it looks the exact same as the last few, and extremely out of place for the time period.

The last two outfits were sort of supposed to blend in with a crowd of half blind people. Altair sorta looked like a Monk, Ezio just seemed like a rich person.

This is just a tad bit too flamboyant.

But at the same time, I'm glad they chose this. No matter what time period they would have chosen, people would have bitched. That's the price that the series finally trying something new had to take. The American Revolution is a perfect time period. No game like this has been done there. And Native American? Even extra bad ass. (though I'm a little curious as to how he's somehow gonna be related to Ezio and Altair if he's a "Native American". And where did he get that outfit?

BakaSmurf:
Really, what is it everyone has against him?

Nobody has anything against Ezio. It's just that his story was already overdone in the Brotherhood sequel. A game that literally can choose nearly any point in History as it's setting and it keeps rehashing the same time period over and over again, it's gonna get called out.

Edit: Wait a minute! Who ever said it was the American Revolution though? Just spitballing, but it could be during the war of 1812. It would make a tad bit more sense and I think by that time the cities would have evolved enough to make sense for the Assassin's Creed gameplay.

Just a thought.

willofbob:

Dude... That was three hundred years ago.

Let it go.

I want this now!!

JoesshittyOs:
The American Revolution is a perfect time period.

How is it perfect when there are many other periods that have much more potential?

And just what are we gonna climb in colonial america?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked