Image of Assassins Creed III's main character leaked

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Radoh:
To all the people saying Ubisoft is pandering to the "America, Fuck Yeah!" crowd, I'd like to point out this is a Native American Assassin.

Let that sink in for a few.

Okay, is it there yet? The Americans are likely going to be bad guys since we've seen a picture of George Washington holding an Apple of Eden, thus hinting that he's likely a Templar.

Now let that one sink in for a bit.

Also, the "sick and tired of games set in America during this era" argument. You mean like Empire: Total War which had a small "Main Campaign" that acted as a tutorial? Because beyond that I can't think of any other game I've ever played in this setting.

This.

I'm just happy they're not falling into the "yet another WW2 game" trap. In fact, after AC3, I hope we skip straight to the future so that Desmond can get some real shit done.

Zydrate:

Radoh:
To all the people saying Ubisoft is pandering to the "America, Fuck Yeah!" crowd, I'd like to point out this is a Native American Assassin.

Okay, is it there yet? The Americans are likely going to be bad guys since we've seen a picture of George Washington holding an Apple of Eden, thus hinting that he's likely a Templar.

Also, the "sick and tired of games set in America during this era" argument. You mean like Empire: Total War which had a small "Main Campaign" that acted as a tutorial? Because beyond that I can't think of any other game I've ever played in this setting.

This.

I'm just happy they're not falling into the "yet another WW2 game" trap. In fact, after AC3, I hope we skip straight to the future so that Desmond can get some real shit done.

Ah, I see you sporting that avatar so proudly.

But that's the thing that confuses me the most though, it's been said several times that since the pivotal time of the AC series is on 12/21/2012 and since that I heard quite a few things about this before suggesting that the release was going to be 12/21/2012 that it was implied AC:III was supposed to be about Desmond.

That's what has me worried about this more than anything else, it's that Desmond is going to be playing the pivotal role but is still taking a back seat to some other ancestor.

Didn't previous games hint that America is just one giant templar breeding ground cuz of corporations selling toothpaste or something? So don't worry Brits I'm sure it'll only focus a little on that war you loss.

This will be the second Native American main playable character I know of. The first is Tommy from Prey.
OT: RADICOOL! I'm throwing my money at Ubisoft.

oh my g

Plinglebob:
While it being set in the American Revolution isn't any sort of a shock, the idea of using a Native American feels slightly forced and I'm not looking foward to how bad they make the Brits out to be *cough*The Patriot*cough*. Also, as someone who loved the earlier games for the architecture, I feel there could have been a lot more to be gained from 17th Century Paris during the revolution or 18th Centry London during the industrial revolution.

Edit:

Chainsaws_of_War_2:
Good lord Ubisoft, you're almost becoming as bad Activision with these games. Who wants to buy a new Assassin's Creed every year?

*Raises Hand*

*also raises hand*

Guys, this is rediculous. This is keeping in line with AC visiting crucial moments in history and like it or not, the American Revolution was one of those moments, just as much so as the French Revolution, especially when the French Revolution wouldn't have happened had King Louis XVI not bankrupted France by committing so many Francs and troops to the American cause. The American Revolution was the first time that European colonies rebelled successfully against its masters, it proved that the European Empires could be opposed with success. And by the way, both the colonists and the British had Native American allies. And as it's been pointed out, there were big cities: New York, Boston, Baltimore, Maryland, Pennsylvania etc. The Thirteen Colonies were the territorial and population bulk of the British Empire then, of course it was that developed with proper urban cities that could serve a roof-hopping Assassin.

As for anyone saying that it should've been feudal Japan, like the Warring States era for example, that would've required UbiSoft to go backward as the Warring States era was from 1467 to 1573. And the Boshin War in 1868 would be a much more poignant time to visit. The Boshin War spelled the end of 235 years of isolation from the West, 264 years of rule by the Tokugawa family and 675 years of the de facto feudal military dictatorship of the Shoguns and the end of its choking repression. Back then everyone, even the Samurai, where severely restricted in the their activities and even their behavior. The war meant the return to power of the Emperor as the rightful ruler of Japan, the end of the ancient ways, and the modernisation of Japan. That's more in line with Assassin's Creed's themes of freedom, oppression, free thought, the relationship between the powerful and the people they rule and the very nature of Human civilisation.

Radoh:

Zydrate:

Radoh:

This.

Ah, I see you sporting that avatar so proudly.

But that's the thing that confuses me the most though, it's been said several times that since the pivotal time of the AC series is on 12/21/2012 and since that I heard quite a few things about this before suggesting that the release was going to be 12/21/2012 that it was implied AC:III was supposed to be about Desmond.

That's what has me worried about this more than anything else, it's that Desmond is going to be playing the pivotal role but is still taking a back seat to some other ancestor.

Which is why they need to change this shit up.

Here's what I hope:
AC3.
AC-Desmond.
AC-FEMALE. With new plots and shit.

I mean really. I gathered up a whole harem-like sisterhood which was pretty cool watching four hot chicks gang up on a platoon of guards but I want to BE ONE OF THEM.

Zydrate:

Which is why they need to change this shit up.

Here's what I hope:
AC3.
AC-Desmond.
AC-FEMALE. With new plots and shit.

I mean really. I gathered up a whole harem-like sisterhood which was pretty cool watching four hot chicks gang up on a platoon of guards but I want to BE ONE OF THEM.

I know how you feel, but to add to it, what I want is a female assassin played as a male in the Animus.
When AC:II happened and at the very beginning Desmond was playing as a baby, that was unusually fun for me, seeing how he reacted etc.

BlackStar42:
I hope they don't just make all the Templars British, that would be WAY too obvious. It'd be good if they made the Founding Fathers Templars just as a mind fuck.

Corporal Yakob:
Cool!!!!!!

So lets our place our bets on which of the Founding Fathers were secretly Templar bastards: I bet we will have to fight George Washington!

Oh, that would be good!

I agree with this. FUCK YOU WASHINGTON AND YOUR PENIS MONUMENT!

This'll give me a reason to buy something about this series, even if it sucks, this would just be awesome to look at.

Everyone should remember that Ubisoft stated that this game will be the end of Desmond's story and after this one there going to take more time to make future installments.

Personally I think they should ditch the modern day aspect of the series after this one and focus on individual stories of different Assassins.

superdelux:
Everyone should remember that Ubisoft stated that this game will be the end of Desmond's story and after this one there going to take more time to make future installments.

Then they better fucking well do something with future Desmond.

Uh, I like that it's being set where I live, but there's a bit of a problem, in Colonial America there weren't that many tall buildings, we're not going to have the same "wow" moments that the previous games had. In my opinion, London or Paris would have been better. Imagine assassinating someone from the top of buckingham palace.

DC_Josh:
It will be released on Independence Day and make millions.

The English will be demonized, that or the super shock twist is that Washington is a secret templar who uses the Apple to brainwash the Assassins you work with. He will then reveal to be the Force Ghost of Al Mualim.

Funny you mention that, in the previous games we saw that Washington's sword was a piece of Eden. Wonder what they're going to do with that.

Wait, his family line somehow goes from Italians to native Americans?

Hosker:

Family trees man.
I've got German, Italian, Polish, English, Swiss, and Swedish ancestry.
Say your great grandmother from France married a gentleman of Japanese ancestry, you can tie practically anything to anyone.
Even so, there's no solid guarantee that this is an ancestor of Desmond.

Hosker:

Sure. Lineage/Ancestry can get pretty wacky.

People traveled. Does that shock you?

That's me out... good-bye assassns creed, you were fun whilst you were interesting!

Here's to hoping you'll get to beat a few founding fathers to death with their own spines. The shitstorm once Fox gets hold of that footage'd be beyond priceless.

I think that is really really awesome but can someone please explain to me how Desmond is descendant of an Arab, an Italian, and a native American but looks like none of these? please?

other than that looks great, can't wait to get it. (but I miss Altair!)

Zydrate:

Hosker:

Sure. Lineage/Ancestry can get pretty wacky.

People traveled. Does that shock you?

Not at all, but I never thought there was much interbreeding between the Europeans and native Americans.

Chester Rabbit:
Wh-WHAT!? I thought we were done with time travel now and it was Adam Sandlers' time to shine?

Who wants to play as Desmond? That guy is boring as hell. American Revolution, MUCH more interesting. I have no idea why a Native American would care though. Either way their land gets taken

Disregard my last post, I had neglected to see the released box art. I can appreciate the Revolutionary War as the next setting, makes sense when you think about the ending of Revelations. And really, how often has this setting been explored in gaming?

Plus, the span of time between AC3 and AC2 is pretty much the same as that between AC2 and AC so the premise seems reasonable to me.

Tomahawk and bow & arrow? Yes, please!

GoaThief:

JoesshittyOs:
The Industrial Period really doesn't have anything on the development of the US.

Haha, are you serious?

Haha, yes.

For one, I get the feeling that the Industrial Revolution would lead to a lot of grey and murky settings.

And besides giant industry movements, I honestly have trouble thinking of any characters besides Jack the Ripper who really stick out.

Tim called it... for the most part.

This seems a little odd. During the American Revolution most native Americans fought against the US, so a apparently native assassin in front of an American flag seems out of place. And, frankly, I don't think it will be about killing American revolutionaries as that would probably get a lot of opposition. Also what's with all the male protagonists, I get the entire author/player insertion thing that you all like to do, but surely you have to realize that a strong female protagonist is a selling point right?

Plinglebob:
While it being set in the American Revolution isn't any sort of a shock, the idea of using a Native American feels slightly forced and I'm not looking foward to how bad they make the Brits out to be *cough*The Patriot*cough*. Also, as someone who loved the earlier games for the architecture, I feel there could have been a lot more to be gained from 17th Century Paris during the revolution or 18th Centry London during the industrial revolution.

Edit:

Chainsaws_of_War_2:
Good lord Ubisoft, you're almost becoming as bad Activision with these games. Who wants to buy a new Assassin's Creed every year?

*Raises Hand*

Who knows. Maybe they'll throw us a curve ball and make the French reinforcements secretly the real Templars the WHOLE TIME! *dun dun dun*

and that would go on to explain why their revolution turns out to be such shit.

I am having mixed feelings about this.

Personally, they picked a really bad time period. George Washington and the Founding Fathers could not have been Templars unless they were really, really good actors. Their personal beliefs are in contrast.

Second, if they turn this into a "Native Americans versus Settlers" scenario I will rage. It just feels a little forced.

I have no problem with a Native American protaginast, but if you don't have a few good settlers in there it's going to seem preachy.

For example, the frontiermen in Tennessee and other border state had skills similar to the indians. Why can't they be Assasin's too?

Ubisoft is treading a very fine line with this one.

i will buy this if they drop everything relating to desmond, that bullshit space conspiracy, and anything that isnt about a gang of assassins ruining people shit.

but i know it wont so...fuck it. this series jumped shark long ago.

godofslack:
This seems a little odd. During the American Revolution most native Americans fought against the US, so a apparently native assassin in front of an American flag seems out of place. And, frankly, I don't think it will be about killing American revolutionaries as that would probably get a lot of opposition. Also what's with all the male protagonists, I get the entire author/player insertion thing that you all like to do, but surely you have to realize that a strong female protagonist is a selling point right?

actually, not quite, the natives were for the most part neutral because the British treated them worse than the french and Spanish, really more fought AGAINST the British.

TheProffesor:

Personally, they picked a really bad time period. George Washington and the Founding Fathers could not have been Templars unless they were really, really good actors. Their personal beliefs are in contrast.

This is an alternate history, I think. They have their own set of lore.

Jegsimmons:
i will buy this if they drop everything relating to desmond, that bullshit space conspiracy, and anything that isnt about a gang of assassins ruining people shit.

but i know it wont so...fuck it. this series jumped shark long ago.

Jumped shark as in some guy in the somewhat future is reliving the memories of his ancestor because his genetics is a grand tapestry of recorded information?
You mean the first ten minutes of the first game?

I'm happy that a Native American is getting the spotlight again, however, I'm still wondering how they'll handle it. Hopefully there will be no BS Indian Princess Pocahontas kinda crap.

I also hope that they'll show more of the real side of George Washington, like how he was a shitty general.

Jegsimmons:

godofslack:

actually, not quite, the natives were for the most part neutral because the British treated them worse than the french and Spanish, really more fought AGAINST the British.

Honestly, that untrue, a quick wikipedia search will disprove that claim. It's true that native Americans were officially neutral many did fight in the war, and I can't think of a single citation in which natives fought against the British during the war. Remember one of the causes for the war was that Britain had set out more than half the country for the Natives (they didn't know how much though) and the colonists wanted to go past the line into native territory.

superdelux:

It appears that the next game in the series will take place during the American revolution and will star a Native American ancestor this time around.

Ok, that's it. Assassin's Creed has just been downgraded in my eyes. Ubisoft no longer cares about finishing this damn storyline. They were completely prepped for FINALLY going to Desmond's part of the story so, but now they're just doddering about in order to wring more cash from fans. This its entirely unecessary, and more so poorly chosen as a setting due to the number of difficulties there are in trying to implement a solo melee fighter in a world of people fighting as ranged units. Whoever this new character is, he is not going to last long against a full volley of muskets.

Seriously, Ubisoft has lost what little respect I had for them with this one. There's no narrative point at all for why this game should be placed in this setting, and all the gameplay could have been more easily and logically put into the Desmond era. It's there to just shamelessly draw out more money, and that is inexcusable.

I want to have a Frontiermen sidekick. Maybe Daniel Boon will show up like Machievelli.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked