Halo 4 Speculation (Spoilers BE WARNED)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Once again, this will be full of spoilers. So if you haven't finished Primordium, Cryptum, Glasslands, or seen the Halo Anniversary Terminals. Walk away now.

I made a thread like this before, but with new info I wanted to add more onto it. I believe that was just about villains but this will be more.

Though for those who don't care for spoilers. I will explain something as I go.

Possible Allies

343 Guilty Sparks/Chakas.

-As shown in Halo: Primordium, the ancient human Chakas was what they used to create 343 Guilty Sparks and shown that a heavily damaged duplicate was found. In which ONI discovered his origins and learned more about the Human-Forerunner War and Forerunner Flood-War. Though unlike the Guilty Sparks in Halo 1-3, this one was clearly controlled through the mind of Chakas. When they spaced his body (since it was wrecked beyond repair) he slipped into their systems and took over and now has control over an unidentified UNSC vessel (though I am speculating that it's the UNSC Infinity.) Then proceeded to move the ship to somewhere he believes The Librarian is still alive.

Now if I were to guess, where he believes the Librarian to still be alive will be the shield world in Halo 4 which would explain why the UNSC Infinity is there. The reason for I believe he is a possible Ally is because unlike the previous Guilty Sparks, this one still has somewhat of his human mind still there and also the Librarian was extremely close to humans and there is the ancient human Vinnevra who was said to have possibly been with the Librarian. (Though I may be wrong about that) though if he does find the Librarian, most likely Vinnevra would have died many years ago.

The Librarian.

-When the Librarian was told to have died, she was on Earth, in a location near the portal named 'Eden.' But I don°¶t think this is true. As Guilty Sparks during Primordium as he looked at humanity°¶s new history would have noticed immediately that she was there. Instead he was being very secretive. Although because of how many years have passed, he may have just not noticed. As one of the terminals did show her (at least her shadow) minutes before death.
But similar to what they did with Chakas to make him into Guilty Sparks, she may have made herself into an AI. Now it would seem likely that she would be an ally as she cared greatly for humanity and when her body died, she was even on Earth and she stopped the Forerunners from completely wiping out Humanity and suggesting other ways of punishment but still overlooked and helped Humanity in subtle ways.

Spartan IV's.

-As stated in Glasslands, there is already some Spartan IV's and some are stationed on the Infinity, which has been showing up in Halo 4 Concept art even before Glasslands had it in it. So most likely they would assist the Chief. Not much else to say since they were only mentioned and we haven't seen any.

The Forerunners.

-The Shield Worlds they built were to allow people inside them to survive the Halo Array's but the one shown in Glasslands/Ghosts of Onyx was seemingly devoid of any Forerunner life. But as they have stated, the Shield World in Halo 4 is very much active meaning there could be Forerunners still alive in the Shield World.

Ancient Humans.

-In Halo CEA, one of the terminals showed a highly advanced ship landing on Installation 04, 50 thousand years before Pillar of Autumn. This ship's internal atmosphere was the exact same as the Halo's which is exactly like Earths. Though no Humans stepped out (in fact nothing did) it is easy to speculate that these were Humans that left the galaxy (as it was stated) before the end of the Human-Forerunner War and so they were unaffected. Though if any Ancient Humans actually truly did leave the galaxy is unknown atm.

Possible Villains

The Precursors.

-Creators of the Forerunners and most life, they fought a war against the Forerunners and lost as the Forerunners found out that the precursors were going to wipe out the Forerunners as they believed they weren't fit for the Mantle. Though they did create another race that was going to be fit for the mantle, Humanity. But while the Forerunners believed the Precursors were wiped out, instead some fled the galaxy.

Thus over the last 100,000 years I believed they began to rebuild to wage another way. They were also said to be the creators of the Flood. Though it is interesting that they created it as they wanted to use the Flood to reunite the Forerunners and Humanity back to their shared origin. So they might hint that the Flood is directly related to the Precursors?

Also the Precursors would fit the bill of being an Ancient Evil that threatens the galaxy.

Ancient-Ancient Humans.

-While AA Humans don't exist, this is to refer to Humans that directly fought in the Human-Flood War/Human-Forerunner War. Reason they can be seen as villains is directly because of their actions at Installation 07. While all AA Humans were dead, they were able to take over or extract their minds from living Humans (and put them into Constructs) with GEAS in them that the Librarian instigated on many humans and linages at birth. At Installation 07, they were working with the Timeless One (A Precursor/Gravemind.) They were going to help the Flood in their attack on the Forerunner Capitol. While it was stopped, some AA Humans on other places may have also put themselves into Constructs and have been scheming for the last 100,000 years.

The Flood.

-Though I doubt they will have such a large role as they did in Halo 1-3, I believe they will make a return in some form. Other Installations have Flood Spores and they came from outside the Galaxy (where the Precursors had gone) and it is possible they would be on side with the Precursors.

Other Info and further Speculation on Halo 5 and 6.

Sangheili Civil War

-As shown in Halo: Glasslands, tensions between Sangheili are bad. Some still believe in the Great Journey and wish to stop the Arbiter and his colleges from becoming the head of Sanghelios and they fall under their new rules. While not totally confirmed, it was hinted at that the explosion at the end of Glasslands was a declaration of war.

While most likely not being in Halo 4, it is possible for it to appear in Halo 5 or 6. Though most likely it will be covered in the 2nd, Post-War Novel after Glasslands.

The Greater Ark.

-It was similar to the Ark but made Halo rings three-times larger than the one°¶s in the games. Though it is a mystery if it still exists as it may have been destroyed as the Lesser Ark shown in the games is referred to as Installation 00. Though hopes up that it may appear in the Reclaimer Trilogy.

---

And that is the end of the Speculation for now. I hope that they do announce info soon and I hope others who have been reading the novels and hoping some news comes out come in here and speculate and comment(Disscussion TOPIC!) on my speculations. :D

I haven't yet read Primordium (apologies there), but the spoilers here, I'm not worried about, and really don't surprise me too much anyway. Not stuff I'd have guessed, but still interesting anyway. The only reason I've not yet read the book is because I'm waiting for the smaller print release in the UK (i.e. smaller book size), which is about £5 cheaper than the larger book size currently out. Yes, I'm a cheapass bastard.

Anyway, on that note, I have another speculation here - Kilo-5. What will their role be? It's clear that they will have a lot to do with any potential Sangheili Civil War, which I agree probably will erupt after the events at the end of Glasslands. Phillips is of course caught up in that on Sanghelios, and yet Kilo-5 were meant to be joining the Infinity, right? Could Halsey, and the Infinity, have anything to do with Halo 4? And also, what would the effects of a civil war be on ONI, and will that tie in with the events of the new trilogy, if not Halo 4 alone? I'd personally be very intrigued by John having to deal with the fallout of an internal ONI conflict between Parangosky/Osman/Beta-5, and the rest of the group (I'd expect Section III to be split, with Sections I and II staying to one side, being ONI's 'public faces'...). Also, I'd love to see John's reaction to finding out Naomi is still alive, along with the rest of Blue Team. And to see where Naomi's loyalties will ultimately lie...

I realise I'm getting off track from my original point here, but these are all pretty interesting things to consider, right?

Halo sucks.

:P Just kidding, I enjoyed the games, don't know about Halo 4 though. I've got pretty mixed feelings. If the Flood does play even a side/supporting role in Halo 4, I'll be disappointed...it'll really start to feel like they're just trying to milk the Halo cow way too much. For that matter though, I had grown accustomed to fighting the Covies...Elites are to MC as Koopa-Troopas are to Mario...it'll just feel weird having MC fighting anything but them.

I realize that the first half of the above paragraph half-way contradicts the second half...but that's why I have mixed feelings towards the game. I really think Halo should have stopped at 3, but we'll see.

Seems like you got a good hold on things, I haven't even read any of the books so this stuff seems plausible. I just don't want the flood to be in the game, because it will be a lame cop out.

Boy oh boy I need to brush up on my Halo back story. If any of what you just said is right on the money, I'm going to need to read much more of the books to figure out what the hell is happening in this new trilogy. So far the only one I've read is First Strike, which I enjoyed but I never got round to buying any of the others.

Well first I want to say thank you for telling me about the Forerunner Trilogy which I just happily caught up on thanks to the Halo Wiki.

As for your guesses, they all seem pretty spot on. The Librarian I am going to guess is probably on the planet shown at the end of Halo 3. Could also be where The Timeless One began to build his army anew in order to fight the Forerunners/Humanity which might explain the Halo 4 trailer a bit. Could be both of them on there, though I am also more inclined to think the Librarian is actually on the Greater Ark and in control of it now.

I'm pretty curious to see how Infinity and the new Spartan IV are going to fit into the battle.

Halo 2 = Halo CE 1.01
Halo 3 = Halo CE 1.02
Halo ODST = Halo CE 1.03
Halo Reach = Halo CE 1.04
Halo 4 = ???? ?? ?.??

CaptainOctopus:
Halo 2 = Halo CE 1.01
Halo 3 = Halo CE 1.02
Halo ODST = Halo CE 1.03
Halo Reach = Halo CE 1.04
Halo 4 = ???? ?? ?.??

Stop trolling.

EcksTeaSea:
Well first I want to say thank you for telling me about the Forerunner Trilogy which I just happily caught up on thanks to the Halo Wiki.

As for your guesses, they all seem pretty spot on. The Librarian I am going to guess is probably on the planet shown at the end of Halo 3. Could also be where The Timeless One began to build his army anew in order to fight the Forerunners/Humanity which might explain the Halo 4 trailer a bit. Could be both of them on there, though I am also more inclined to think the Librarian is actually on the Greater Ark and in control of it now.

I'm pretty curious to see how Infinity and the new Spartan IV are going to fit into the battle.

Well the Timeless One died at the end of Primordium due to being so old his body began to decay and break apart.

Korten12:

EcksTeaSea:

Well the Timeless One died at the end of Primordium due to being so old his body began to decay and break apart.

'

I thought the Timeless One died because the Didact killed him in a fit of rage after learning about how there is no real cure for the Flood, but the Flood can pick and choose who to infect.

Also before that at the end of Cryptum, the Didact remembers the first thing that the Timeless One said "We meet again, young one. I am the last of those who gave you breath and shape and form, millions of years ago. I am the last of those your kind rose up against and ruthlessly destroyed. I am the last Precursor. And our answer is at hand." I kinda get the feeling that he had been building his army or whatever the entire time before it died on the unknown planet.

There are a few major holes in this of course as the Timeless One was put on Installation 07 to be studied and then recaptured on there as well. So in the end I have no idea! SPECULATION ABOUND.

EcksTeaSea:

Korten12:

EcksTeaSea:

'

I thought the Timeless One died because the Didact killed him in a fit of rage after learning about how there is no real cure for the Flood, but the Flood can pick and choose who to infect.

Also before that at the end of Cryptum, the Didact remembers the first thing that the Timeless One said "We meet again, young one. I am the last of those who gave you breath and shape and form, millions of years ago. I am the last of those your kind rose up against and ruthlessly destroyed. I am the last Precursor. And our answer is at hand." I kinda get the feeling that he had been building his army or whatever the entire time before it died on the unknown planet.

There are a few major holes in this of course as the Timeless One was put on Installation 07 to be studied and then recaptured on there as well. So in the end I have no idea! SPECULATION ABOUND.

Oh your right about the Didact killing it. Just checked the wiki. Guess I missed that part.

Korten12:

EcksTeaSea:

Korten12:

'

Oh your right about the Didact killing it. Just checked the wiki. Guess I missed that part.

Lots of cool stuff on that wiki. Reading everything got me pretty psyched for Halo 4.

EcksTeaSea:

Lots of cool stuff on that wiki. Reading everything got me pretty psyched for Halo 4.

Yeah 343 is doing a really good job. I really can't wait for Halo 4 info to actually be released and see what happens. I know many think it's just a money grabbing game but honestly with the amount of lore that is there now compared to Halo 1-3. There is a lot going for it, and if they manage to tie all the novels into the games, then it could be the best Halo yet.

NinjaDeathSlap:
Boy oh boy I need to brush up on my Halo back story. If any of what you just said is right on the money, I'm going to need to read much more of the books to figure out what the hell is happening in this new trilogy. So far the only one I've read is First Strike, which I enjoyed but I never got round to buying any of the others.

Go to http://www.halopedian.com/ Most reliable source for all Halo lore if you need to get easy access to learning the overview of all the books. Though I would suggest reading some more of the books. Specifically Halo Glasslands, Cryptum and Primordial (Primordial is the 2nd book in the Forerunner Saga, Cryptum is first) as they will give lots of insight into Halo 4.

Trivun:
I haven't yet read Primordium (apologies there), but the spoilers here, I'm not worried about, and really don't surprise me too much anyway. Not stuff I'd have guessed, but still interesting anyway. The only reason I've not yet read the book is because I'm waiting for the smaller print release in the UK (i.e. smaller book size), which is about £5 cheaper than the larger book size currently out. Yes, I'm a cheapass bastard.

Anyway, on that note, I have another speculation here - Kilo-5. What will their role be? It's clear that they will have a lot to do with any potential Sangheili Civil War, which I agree probably will erupt after the events at the end of Glasslands. Phillips is of course caught up in that on Sanghelios, and yet Kilo-5 were meant to be joining the Infinity, right? Could Halsey, and the Infinity, have anything to do with Halo 4? And also, what would the effects of a civil war be on ONI, and will that tie in with the events of the new trilogy, if not Halo 4 alone? I'd personally be very intrigued by John having to deal with the fallout of an internal ONI conflict between Parangosky/Osman/Beta-5, and the rest of the group (I'd expect Section III to be split, with Sections I and II staying to one side, being ONI's 'public faces'...). Also, I'd love to see John's reaction to finding out Naomi is still alive, along with the rest of Blue Team. And to see where Naomi's loyalties will ultimately lie...

I realise I'm getting off track from my original point here, but these are all pretty interesting things to consider, right?

Kilo-Five I could possible see making an appearance. Though I think it is more likely to see Lucy, Tom, Kelly, Fred, and such appearing along side the Spartan IV's. Which would be REALLY cool and I hope they do that as they need to put more Spartan II's and such in the game.

Though I feel like ONI may be a villian also in maybe Halo 5, and 6. They seem to be expanding and gaining too much power for their own good. Hell they want the Sangheili to go into Civil War so it weakens them and then ONI can come in and slice of their heads making Humanity the dominant force in the galaxy.

With Naomi, I am very interested in what she does. Her father is still alive and is a Insurrectionist leader... That won't go over well when he learns that she is still alive. I think she might be able to take it better (as they never said their parents were dead in the first place) but still lots of things are going to happen. Though I feel that storyline may only continue in Halo: Glassland's seqeul.

Korten12:

Stop trolling.

If you think about it I wasn't really trolling, I mean one could easily argue the difference between TF2 vanilla and TF2 today is greater than the difference between Halo CE and Halo Reach, besides the graphics of course. Don't get me wrong Halo CE was an okay game for its time and I understand why they haven't change the formula very much since people still buy the games. Then again seeing how MW now have become the "new Halo" on consoles they might actually try to mix up some things in Halo 4, although I'm not sure it will be for the better. Seeing how these kind of casual games more and more are design by market committees, my guess is they will primarily concentrate their efforts on taking back the multiplayer dominance they once had. And knowing how simpleminded most game studio executives and producers are they probably will just simply copy the perk, killstreaks and levelup system in the MW games and introduce some crappy must have service for playing the game. Singleplayer will in all likelihood just be a second priority (or third if you add in marketing), so as usual I very much doubt we will see anything beyond the ordinary.

CaptainOctopus:

Korten12:

Stop trolling.

If you think about it I wasn't really trolling, I mean one could easily argue the difference between TF2 vanilla and TF2 today is greater than the difference between Halo CE and Halo Reach, besides the graphics of course. Don't get me wrong Halo CE was an okay game for its time and I understand why they haven't change the formula very much since people still buy the games. Then again seeing how MW now have become the "new Halo" on consoles they might actually try to mix up some things in Halo 4, although I'm not sure it will be for the better. Seeing how these kind of casual games more and more are design by market committees, my guess is they will primarily concentrate their efforts on taking back the multiplayer dominance they once had. And knowing how simpleminded most game studio executives and producers are they probably will just simply copy the perk, killstreaks and levelup system in the MW games and introduce some crappy must have service for playing the game. Singleplayer will in all likelihood just be a second priority (or third if you add in marketing), so as usual I very much doubt we will see anything beyond the ordinary.

Halo has changed. Saying it barely had is trolling.

Hell, just play Halo CE and then play Reach, the difference between them is a lot.

CaptainOctopus:

Korten12:

Stop trolling.

I don't agree with Halo bashing at all, but my cynicism tells me your idea about the new, NON-Bungie halo being made is probably right. They'll probably crib the shit out of MW.

All I want is to know gameplay details. Not that that stuff isn't interesting, I just know nothing about it. Fingers crossed for no reticle bloom. God I hate reticle bloom...

TsunamiWombat:

CaptainOctopus:

Korten12:

Stop trolling.

I don't agree with Halo bashing at all, but my cynicism tells me your idea about the new, NON-Bungie halo being made is probably right. They'll probably crib the shit out of MW.

Honestly, I doubt they will be Multiplayer focused too much. All they have been doing so far is building up the story.

But I won't argue... So does anyone have any speculation on the story instead?

Korten12:

EcksTeaSea:

Yeah 343 is doing a really good job. I really can't wait for Halo 4 info to actually be released and see what happens. I know many think it's just a money grabbing game but honestly with the amount of lore that is there now compared to Halo 1-3. There is a lot going for it, and if they manage to tie all the novels into the games, then it could be the best Halo yet.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Go to http://www.halopedian.com/ Most reliable source for all Halo lore if you need to get easy access to learning the overview of all the books. Though I would suggest reading some more of the books. Specifically Halo Glasslands, Cryptum and Primordial (Primordial is the 2nd book in the Forerunner Saga, Cryptum is first) as they will give lots of insight into Halo 4.

Trivun:

Kilo-Five I could possible see making an appearance. Though I think it is more likely to see Lucy, Tom, Kelly, Fred, and such appearing along side the Spartan IV's. Which would be REALLY cool and I hope they do that as they need to put more Spartan II's and such in the game.

Though I feel like ONI may be a villian also in maybe Halo 5, and 6. They seem to be expanding and gaining too much power for their own good. Hell they want the Sangheili to go into Civil War so it weakens them and then ONI can come in and slice of their heads making Humanity the dominant force in the galaxy.

With Naomi, I am very interested in what she does. Her father is still alive and is a Insurrectionist leader... That won't go over well when he learns that she is still alive. I think she might be able to take it better (as they never said their parents were dead in the first place) but still lots of things are going to happen. Though I feel that storyline may only continue in Halo: Glassland's seqeul.

You make a very good point with Naomi, and it does seem that whole story will be continued in the Glasslands sequel. However, bear in mind that real world release dates for Cryptum and Primordium were about a year apart, and I fully expect another year or so before both the Forerunner conclusion and the Glasslands sequel - which would put the release of both right around the time of Halo 4's release too. If 343 and Microsoft have planned it right, then it may well be, extrapolating on that data, that the story of the Glasslands sequel will run aongside Halo 4, and tie in with it, while the conclusion of the Postwar Trilogy will run as a hint towards/alongside Halo 5. And the Forerunner conclusion will of course lead directly to the events of Halo 4 as well as giving further understanding of every aspect of the series so far given.

Anyway, moving on, I don't really think ONI will be bad guys at any point. Parangosky may be stepping down as ONI head, and passing the buck on to Osman, but they both care deeply for ONI, the Navy, and humanity in general. I don't think they'll be villains, even purely to see humanity become dominant in the galaxy. Personally, I see a schism, with Parangosky/Osman/Section III loyalists staying true to the overall goals of humanity, while a splinter faction breaks off determined to do as much damage to the Sangeili and the Insurrectionists as possible and vie for political power in Parangosky's absence. Osman may be on course to take Big Maggie's role as head of ONI, but there will certainly be a power vacuum there to gain favour with Osman. Halsey may play a key role in this, since she of course has a massive grudge against Parangosky, and Section III, but she's still relatively loyal to humanity, the UNSC and UEG, and the Spartans in general. She may also try to play both sides for no other reason than the chance to get involved with the SPARTAN-IV Project, despite Parangosky's resolution that Halsey be nowhere near it. Section I and II will wisely stay out of the politicking, simply becasue they need to present a good public image of ONI and getting involved in an internal dispute is hardly a good way to ensure public confidence in the intelligence community.

All of this is pure speculation, of course, but I'd say it could be a possible route at least for the expanded media, even if it isn't mentioned in the games. It could easily be a backdrop to the games, in fact, helping determine who John's allies and enemies are in Halo 4 onwards.

One final point that I thought of at work earlier - Lord Hood. He's no idiot, as the leader of the UNSC Navy he's literally one of the four most important people in the entire human empire - the others being Parangosky as head of ONI, the (new) UEG President, and the (so far unnamed as far as I'm aware) head of the UNSC Army. In order to get that position in the first place, he needs to be ruthless and clever, as he shows in the books and indeed the games too (regardless of how decent and nice he seems as a person). He managed to develop relations with Thel 'Vadam, and open negotiations for an official peace treaty between humans and Sangheili. It's stated outright that he's clashed with Parangosky before, and somehow managed to pull through and keep his position and reputation - things that Parangosky can normally strip from any other man or woman without breaking a sweat. Which is a relief, given her age... But anyway, he's a clever guy. Which means that there is no way on High Charity that he doesn't know something's up with ONI and the Sangheili. It's half the reason why Kilo-5 have to tread so carefull around him, and why Osman has to deal carefully with him when he talks to her in Glasslands, regardless of the new career she's soon going to be taking on. Chances are he doesn't know the details, but Hood has to know that part of Section III, most likely related to Beta-5 Division (and therefore the upper echelons, and therefore Parangosky-approved), is trying to stir up trouble. If you recall, the end of Glasslands featured Phillips on Sanghelios just as a bomb went off, while in the custody of the leader of the seperatist forces - almost certainly their declaration of civil war. If Hood doesn't know by this point that Kilo-5 are responsible for arming the dissidents and helping provoke the conflict, then I severely underestimated him. And I reckon this is something Karen Traviss is banking on as writer, too.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this ties in to Halo 4, and I am willing to bet that Hood will almost certainly be referenced at the very least, and maybe even featured as an actual character, in Halo 4. That is my key prediction, and I will stand by that until the game's release, when I will be proven either right, or so very very wrong...

Sorry probably not the best place, but i've wanted to explore more of Halo's backstory for a while, and I finally have time so could anyone suggest some of the novels and comics to pick up.

JohnDoey:
Sorry probably not the best place, but i've wanted to explore more of Halo's backstory for a while, and I finally have time so could anyone suggest some of the novels and comics to pick up.

It is fine. Good to see more interested in it.

Here is a bit of the timeline. (Books and games, leaving out other stuff for the sake of simplisity)

(B) - Books
(G) - Games

-Halo: Cryptum - takes place 100,000 years before (B)
-Halo: Primordium - takes place near the end of Cryptum (B)
-Halo: Book 3 of Forerunner trilogy (Cryptum, Primoridum, etc... Best read these after the other books.)

-Halo: Contact Harvest (B)
-Halo Wars (G)
-Halo: The Cole Protocol (B)
-Halo: Fall of Reach (B)
-Halo: Reach (G)
-Halo 1 (G)/The Flood (B) (The Flood is the book ver of Halo 1)
-Halo: First Strike (B)
-Halo 2 (G)
-Halo: Ghosts of Onyx (B)
-Halo 3: ODST (G)
-Halo 3 (G)
-Halo: Grasslands (B)
-Halo 4 (G)
-Halo 5 (G)
-Halo 6 (G)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DocumentN/Halo_chronological_order

Personally I would start with Halo: Fall of Reach, then go onto the other ones. To see what happens in the halo games, watch the cutscenes on youtube. :D

I can't say much for the Comic's though.

Trivun:
You make a very good point with Naomi, and it does seem that whole story will be continued in the Glasslands sequel. However, bear in mind that real world release dates for Cryptum and Primordium were about a year apart, and I fully expect another year or so before both the Forerunner conclusion and the Glasslands sequel - which would put the release of both right around the time of Halo 4's release too. If 343 and Microsoft have planned it right, then it may well be, extrapolating on that data, that the story of the Glasslands sequel will run aongside Halo 4, and tie in with it, while the conclusion of the Postwar Trilogy will run as a hint towards/alongside Halo 5. And the Forerunner conclusion will of course lead directly to the events of Halo 4 as well as giving further understanding of every aspect of the series so far given.

Anyway, moving on, I don't really think ONI will be bad guys at any point. Parangosky may be stepping down as ONI head, and passing the buck on to Osman, but they both care deeply for ONI, the Navy, and humanity in general. I don't think they'll be villains, even purely to see humanity become dominant in the galaxy. Personally, I see a schism, with Parangosky/Osman/Section III loyalists staying true to the overall goals of humanity, while a splinter faction breaks off determined to do as much damage to the Sangeili and the Insurrectionists as possible and vie for political power in Parangosky's absence. Osman may be on course to take Big Maggie's role as head of ONI, but there will certainly be a power vacuum there to gain favour with Osman. Halsey may play a key role in this, since she of course has a massive grudge against Parangosky, and Section III, but she's still relatively loyal to humanity, the UNSC and UEG, and the Spartans in general. She may also try to play both sides for no other reason than the chance to get involved with the SPARTAN-IV Project, despite Parangosky's resolution that Halsey be nowhere near it. Section I and II will wisely stay out of the politicking, simply becasue they need to present a good public image of ONI and getting involved in an internal dispute is hardly a good way to ensure public confidence in the intelligence community.

All of this is pure speculation, of course, but I'd say it could be a possible route at least for the expanded media, even if it isn't mentioned in the games. It could easily be a backdrop to the games, in fact, helping determine who John's allies and enemies are in Halo 4 onwards.

One final point that I thought of at work earlier - Lord Hood. He's no idiot, as the leader of the UNSC Navy he's literally one of the four most important people in the entire human empire - the others being Parangosky as head of ONI, the (new) UEG President, and the (so far unnamed as far as I'm aware) head of the UNSC Army. In order to get that position in the first place, he needs to be ruthless and clever, as he shows in the books and indeed the games too (regardless of how decent and nice he seems as a person). He managed to develop relations with Thel 'Vadam, and open negotiations for an official peace treaty between humans and Sangheili. It's stated outright that he's clashed with Parangosky before, and somehow managed to pull through and keep his position and reputation - things that Parangosky can normally strip from any other man or woman without breaking a sweat. Which is a relief, given her age... But anyway, he's a clever guy. Which means that there is no way on High Charity that he doesn't know something's up with ONI and the Sangheili. It's half the reason why Kilo-5 have to tread so carefull around him, and why Osman has to deal carefully with him when he talks to her in Glasslands, regardless of the new career she's soon going to be taking on. Chances are he doesn't know the details, but Hood has to know that part of Section III, most likely related to Beta-5 Division (and therefore the upper echelons, and therefore Parangosky-approved), is trying to stir up trouble. If you recall, the end of Glasslands featured Phillips on Sanghelios just as a bomb went off, while in the custody of the leader of the seperatist forces - almost certainly their declaration of civil war. If Hood doesn't know by this point that Kilo-5 are responsible for arming the dissidents and helping provoke the conflict, then I severely underestimated him. And I reckon this is something Karen Traviss is banking on as writer, too.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this ties in to Halo 4, and I am willing to bet that Hood will almost certainly be referenced at the very least, and maybe even featured as an actual character, in Halo 4. That is my key prediction, and I will stand by that until the game's release, when I will be proven either right, or so very very wrong...

Good post (Wish I saw more likes these in the thread) and while it does sound good, ONI has shown to be able to go to extreame lengths to secure Humanity's top spot, and they're willing to have the Sangheili wiped out to see that become true.

While Lord Hood has lots of control, the problem is that ONI is going around him. Before and after he met with the Arbiter he still didn't know that ONI was helping give Sangheili, Servants of Abiding Truth, weapons to start and help assassinate Thel'Vadam.

Korten12:

Good post (Wish I saw more likes these in the thread) and while it does sound good, ONI has shown to be able to go to extreame lengths to secure Humanity's top spot, and they're willing to have the Sangheili wiped out to see that become true.

While Lord Hood has lots of control, the problem is that ONI is going around him. Before and after he met with the Arbiter he still didn't know that ONI was helping give Sangheili, Servants of Abiding Truth, weapons to start and help assassinate Thel'Vadam.

Thank you :). And fair point, but I don't really deny that ONI are going around him. It's clear in the book that Hood doesn't know what's going on, otherwise he'd have said something, or made veiled comments regarding it, to Osman when they met before seeing Thel for the peace talks. And he doesn't know a thing about the Servants of Abiding Truth. However, what I was saying is that although he doesn't know specifics, he has to know that ONI ae up to something, basically due to common sense, and although he can't do anything to stop ONI from doing this, he certainly has to know that ONI are planning something. That being said, he probably expects it to be Beta-5 Divison, what with them being established in Ghosts of Onyx as the most shadowy cabal of officers in ONI, yet as we know as readers Parangosky is ordering Kilo-5's actions directly without anyone else's knowledge. Even her top officers are unaware of what's happening. There's a reason she enlisted ODSTs instead, after all, with Osman, BB and possibly Naomi as the only ONI reps present.

As for the assassination of Thel 'Vadam, to be fair common sense on Hood's part will also mean he's aware that Thel's life is threatened anyway, purely because of his position. He doesn't know that Kilo-5 would welcome such an act, but he must know Thel is a target just as much as he himself is a target, Parangosky is a target, any other military leader would be a target because of who they are and the power they hold. On Thel's part, he knows there's a plot anyway, though he doesn't know about the impending attacks or who is responsible (i.e. the Servants), but he knows that people are going to want him dead. And he addresses that himself, and tells them "go ahead, have a go, and if you succeed then fair play to you, good luck leading the Sangheili in my stead". Sangheili culture welcomes assassination attempts as a method of leadership progression and settling disputes, if you remember from the start of Glasslands, and so Thel's outlook on such an attempt would of course be rather different than Hood's outlook. My point still being, of course, that Hood must know Thel is a target for attack, just not that ONI would be behind it or be enabling it through their behin-the-scenes wetwork.

Trivun:

Korten12:

Thank you :). And fair point, but I don't really deny that ONI are going around him. It's clear in the book that Hood doesn't know what's going on, otherwise he'd have said something, or made veiled comments regarding it, to Osman when they met before seeing Thel for the peace talks. And he doesn't know a thing about the Servants of Abiding Truth. However, what I was saying is that although he doesn't know specifics, he has to know that ONI ae up to something, basically due to common sense, and although he can't do anything to stop ONI from doing this, he certainly has to know that ONI are planning something. That being said, he probably expects it to be Beta-5 Divison, what with them being established in Ghosts of Onyx as the most shadowy cabal of officers in ONI, yet as we know as readers Parangosky is ordering Kilo-5's actions directly without anyone else's knowledge. Even her top officers are unaware of what's happening. There's a reason she enlisted ODSTs instead, after all, with Osman, BB and possibly Naomi as the only ONI reps present.

As for the assassination of Thel 'Vadam, to be fair common sense on Hood's part will also mean he's aware that Thel's life is threatened anyway, purely because of his position. He doesn't know that Kilo-5 would welcome such an act, but he must know Thel is a target just as much as he himself is a target, Parangosky is a target, any other military leader would be a target because of who they are and the power they hold. On Thel's part, he knows there's a plot anyway, though he doesn't know about the impending attacks or who is responsible (i.e. the Servants), but he knows that people are going to want him dead. And he addresses that himself, and tells them "go ahead, have a go, and if you succeed then fair play to you, good luck leading the Sangheili in my stead". Sangheili culture welcomes assassination attempts as a method of leadership progression and settling disputes, if you remember from the start of Glasslands, and so Thel's outlook on such an attempt would of course be rather different than Hood's outlook. My point still being, of course, that Hood must know Thel is a target for attack, just not that ONI would be behind it or be enabling it through their behin-the-scenes wetwork.

Though if Hood does find out that ONI is helping Servants of Abiding Truth then that would cause a lot of tensions between Hood and ONI. Sure it's one thing to know that many High Ranking people are up for assassination and then another to know that your own people are helping a group assassinate another High ranking person you wish to make peace with.

Korten12:

Trivun:

Korten12:

Though if Hood does find out that ONI is helping Servants of Abiding Truth then that would cause a lot of tensions between Hood and ONI. Sure it's one thing to know that many High Ranking people are up for assassination and then another to know that your own people are helping a group assassinate another High ranking person you wish to make peace with.

Exactly. That's why I think Parangosky and Kilo-5 are playing a very dangerous game by allying themselves with the Servants of Abiding Truth, and also why I feel Hood will play a key role either in any Glasslands sequel or in Halo 4, depending on how linked Halo 4 is to the Postwar Trilogy...

Maybe relevant, this was posted on GT today:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/interview-story-halo-4/727565

K84:

Just saw that... HELL FUCKING YES!!! Finally some footage and the multiplayer looks slick!

Plus my speculation has been good, Spartan IV's are in Halo 4. :)

It will suck!

That is all.

Forlong:
It will suck!

That is all.

Wow what a troll... How original.

Korten12:

K84:

Just saw that... HELL FUCKING YES!!! Finally some footage and the multiplayer looks slick!

Plus my speculation has been good, Spartan IV's are in Halo 4. :)

K84:

Note that they say Red and Blue Teams in multiplayer will have a reason for fighting each other? Either this is related to 'training' in some way (like the Assassin's Creed multiplayer, and like the training CTF missions the Spartans did growing up against ODSTs), or perhaps my speculation on an ONI schism will be on the mark...?

For the record, the more hardcore fans have their panties in a bunch over at Bungie.net. Basically the complaints are the same that they had for Reach, it's not Halo 3. Honestly if they love Halo 3 so much why do they even want new games?

Korten12:

Forlong:
It will suck!

That is all.

Bungie decided to give the series the axe. Why shouldn't that be respected? This is why I expect the game to suck. If they don't respect that about the core developers, why would they respect anything else? All they want to do is cut holes in your wallets.

Forlong:

Korten12:

Forlong:
It will suck!

That is all.

Bungie decided to give the series the axe. Why shouldn't that be respected? This is why I expect the game to suck. If they don't respect that about the core developers, why would they respect anything else? All they want to do is cut holes in your wallets.

Do I have to be the one to point out the fact that most of the employees at 343 used to work at Bungie? Also the didn't discontinue the series, they left it in the hands of 343 while they went to work on other things. And even if this wasn't true, automatically assuming it's bad is the height of pointless and unfounded cynicism.

erttheking:
And even if this wasn't true, automatically assuming it's bad is the height of pointless and unfounded cynicism.

Actually, that means that if its good, I get to be fondly surprised. If it isn't, I don't feel disappointed in misplacing my hopes. So I will continue to expect tripe, unless it becomes clear that Halo 4 will not be that. Quite a few things have to occur for me to be convinced of that.

Forlong:

erttheking:
And even if this wasn't true, automatically assuming it's bad is the height of pointless and unfounded cynicism.

Actually, that means that if its good, I get to be fondly surprised. If it isn't, I don't feel disappointed in misplacing my hopes. So I will continue to expect tripe, unless it becomes clear that Halo 4 will not be that. Quite a few things have to occur for me to be convinced of that.

You know, apart from the video that came out...TODAY I think, we know next to nothing about the game except for a magazine article or two, there's over half a year between us and the release, so it's way too soon to be condemning it.

erttheking:

Forlong:

erttheking:

You know, apart from the video that came out...TODAY I think, we know next to nothing about the game except for a magazine article or two, there's over half a year between us and the release, so it's way too soon to be condemning it.

Did you miss the part where I said I haven't ruled out the possibility of a good game? I put it in bold, just to be sure. The reason I expect it not to go well is because experience has taught me that sequels by a different developer usually doesn't work. I am open to the possibility of being wrong, but I'm not going to be naive. Yes, it is perfectly possible for 343 to turn out a crappy title. Let me turn your argument around: "we know next to nothing about the game, so its way too soon to be praising it".

Forlong:

erttheking:

Forlong:

Did you miss the part where I said I haven't ruled out the possibility of a good game? I put it in bold, just to be sure. The reason I expect it not to go well is because experience has taught me that sequels by a different developer usually doesn't work. I am open to the possibility of being wrong, but I'm not going to be naive. Yes, it is perfectly possible for 343 to turn out a crappy title. Let me turn your argument around: "we know next to nothing about the game, so its way too soon to be praising it".

I'm sorry I just kind of assumed that you thought that it would be bad when you posted "it will suck! that is all" I guess when you use things like that in your opening argument in tends to stick with the other person. Also kindly point out where I was praising it on this thread. The only thing that I commented on besides arguing with you, is how the Bungie.net forums are in a state of nerd rage, because 343 is refusing to make Halo 3.5.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked