Booting lower levelled player, right or wrong?
Right. I don't want to have to baby sit players
11.3% (43)
11.3% (43)
Wrong. Everyone has to start somewhere
83% (317)
83% (317)
Other. Please comment
5.5% (21)
5.5% (21)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: The booting of lower levelled players in Mass Effect 3 multi-player demo

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Over the weekend I played the Mass Effect 3 multi-player demo quite a bit and I noticed that if I was teamed up with people of a similar level and there was one person who was a much lower level, say under 8, they other people would immediately bring up the "kick" icon for them. Being a man of principal I left them be as I think that people have to start somewhere and have a chance to prove themselve, but I could tell the other players weren't overly impressed.
As an experiment I tried using my level 4 Krogan Soldier and I was put in the lobby with other players ranked between 12-16 and immediately two "x of death" icons went up next to my name (despite having a N7 rank of 35). I switched to my level 18 human Sentinel and the boot marks went away and I had a match with those players.

I'd like to canvas opinions of the ME3 multi-players out there. Do you agree with kicking out players from your group that are under a certain level, or do you give them a chance?

Incidentally my level 18 Sentinel got booted by three level 20 players. If I ever catch the bastards...

I think simply because of the difficulty and lack of scaling for quantity of people you should at least do like, 2 bronze games and get a couple of levels before doing Silver.

Team Fortress 2. Where the multiplayer isn't a bolt-on feature and the noobs can (sometimes entirely by accident) play well. Also where people can't kick you from the server based on random assumptions.

As much as it fustrates me I can see why people do it, countless times on all games I've lost/died etc because of a n00b. However I'd never personally kick them, as I know we all have to start somewhere and I get annoyed when people kick me for not being a high enough class like in ME3.

I can understand where people are coming from when they choose to kick low-level players. Yeah, it's true that we were all low-level once, and everybody's got to start somewhere, but some days, you just don't want to deal with having to save a player's ass a million times because they weren't leveled high enough to keep up with you.

It's for this reason that I mostly play those sorts of games with people I actually know. They tend to be more forgiving about that sort of thing.

hazabaza1:
I think simply because of the difficulty and lack of scaling for quantity of people you should at least do like, 2 bronze games and get a couple of levels before doing Silver.

Good point. There is a significant jump in difficulty between Bronze and Silver. There was a situation where we ended up with a three player team on Silver and it was a living hell. It was an absolute revive-fest but we got there in the end.

Fair enough if you're doing Gold or Silver, don't want anyone under level 15 in them, but I'll just fight with anyone in Bronze.

Terrible, terrible games design. Players are going to do what they're going to do, it can only be controlled at design level. And ME3 multiplayer has awful awful designers.

Yeah the jumps in difficulty are pretty harsh. Even a very good player becomes a liability if they jump into Silver with a character below level 5. Your abilities at that point just plain won't cut it in Silver.

I still don't kick over it but I don't hold anything against those that do.

Well I like to play Infiltrator and on the bronze levels I would never kick anyone just for level. The thing is, if that person repeatedly dies I get ticked because we lose the don't die bonus, but it isn't that big of a deal.

The thing is though, when I play with a low-level person there's only a certain amount of times I would go out of my way to revive them. I know that as an Infiltrator with cloak I understand that it is generally expected of me to revive people, but for new players that I don't even know, I usually don't bother after a couple of times. That may be seen as a bit harsh, but it's just the way I end up playing.

However if this situation were to ever happen on Silver, I think that I would kick a low-leveled player. By low-leveled I mean people that are level 1-3 who are still inappropriately equipped. However I wouldn't be attempting Silver with strangers anyway. If I do play Silver it's because I have a group that I generally know and trust already. :P There's not a whole lot of room for my normal solo antics that I get away with in Bronze.

AwkwardTurtle:

The thing is though, when I play with a low-level person there's only a certain amount of times I would go out of my way to revive them. I know that as an Infiltrator with cloak I understand that it is generally expected of me to revive people, but for new players that I don't even know, I usually don't bother after a couple of times. That may be seen as a bit harsh, but it's just the way I end up playing.

Not really. I'll go out of my way to revive people, but if they keep dying and a) they're a fair way off and b) I think we've got a better chance clean sweeping the wave I'll leave them to die. They always get revived at the end of the wave, so that's fair.

I must admit I love going to rescue though. When someone is about to get curb-stomped and you blast away the attacker and make the revive, it's a bit of a rush.

Programmed_For_Damage:
Snip

Ehehe, well a fellow infiltrator probably won't see it as much of a problem, but I felt that those who were doing the dying would probably find my attitude a bit uncaring possibly even "selfish". :P

ResonanceSD:
Team Fortress 2. Where the multiplayer isn't a bolt-on feature and the noobs can (sometimes entirely by accident) play well. Also where people can't kick you from the server based on random assumptions.

Depends on what server you get into though. Some of the servers run by the likes of No More Heroes I find can be rather elitist.

That's why I always stuck to Fugworld.

The only time I've ever booted someone from a ME3 match is when everyone else had readied up and #4 was AFK

erttheking:
The only time I've ever booted someone from a ME3 match is when everyone else had readied up and #4 was AFK

I must admit I did that after waiting a good 5 minutes for them to get their act together.

If I try to play silver/gold I will try to kick anyone below lvl 12 for silver and 20 for gold.

If they are level 1-8 or so going to try playing a silver or gold match, I don't boot them, I leave. Because I know better than to trust someone who barely has any upgrades to their skills/stats to do well in a very tough level. I mean I stayed at bronze difficulty until level 17 before I even attempted to do a silver, my team still got destroyed by the enemy.

Programmed_For_Damage:

As an experiment I tried using my level 4 Krogan Soldier and I was put in the lobby with other players ranked between 12-16 and immediately two "x of death" icons went up next to my name (despite having a N7 rank of 35). I switched to my level 18 human Sentinel and the boot marks went away and I had a match with those players.

What difficulty was this on?

Depends. If on a bronze game, I wouldn't care. Bronze is there for people to start on and begin leveling, and buying new weapons. Levels are very easy to come by early on in the game through playing and through purchased packs.

Once the jump is made to Silver, the lowest people can go before it begins bothering me is level 8. But I probably still won't kick a person if he is the only person in the game below 8.

However, on Gold, I don't stomach people below at least 17 before I kick them.

Yes I know people have to start somewhere. But for gods sake, don't go into a gold game with a level 2 character.

Last night I was playing a gold game with 2 other people, and one other person joined us. A soldier. Almost immediately afterwards, he began dying over and over and over. I had no idea what this guy's problem was, but I kept trying to resurrect him, and then I noticed that he would literally get killed with just 2 shots! He came in during later waves with 10 phantoms and 8 mechs altogether.

We wiped shortly after for a lot of reasons. When we got back to the lobby, we saw that this guy was level 2 (With an n7 level of 2). We all promptly voted him out of the match.

It reminds me of Killing Floor. Where unfortunately, a low-level person just cannot pull their weight on a harder difficulty. There are more high-ranking enemies, every enemy has more health, deals more damage, and are more aggressive.
Without a character that has the proper skills, weapons, equipment, and strengths to handle the horrors of Gold difficulty, you would really be of no help.

Bronze is there for everyone to begin playing on. Silver has a significant jump of difficulty level, and this is where teamwork begins to really be stressed. But can be done even with people who are slightly low on level. From what I've seen, Gold is just not a difficulty for low levels at all.

I think you shouldn't have the option to kick them on Bronze levels as thats where a noob is gonna be, the easiest levels in the game. But Silver and Gold....I'm not so sure about.

What level you are rarely matters in that game. I've tripled other player's scores on level 1 characters. Skill > Level

Now, if you're doing Gold... Yea, don't join Gold matches at less than level 20. Ever.

Particularly on Bronze I couldn't care less because in most cases it's what the player does with the character that's important, not what level they're on. You're much better off having a good player with a low-level character who understands the importance of working together than you are with a Level 15 who ignores objectives and just runs off on their own to get killed the whole time.

That said, I haven't seen much of this phenomenon. What I've noticed a lot more of is individual players just leaving if they don't like the makeup of the team they've been matched with.

Tohuvabohu:

Programmed_For_Damage:

What difficulty was this on?

It is rife in Silver but I have seen it on Bronze. I've often wondered what level 18-20 people are doing on Bronze anyway. I haven't gone Gold despite having a level 18 Sentinel. The last couple of waves in Silver have been enough to push my skill level. The last thing i want to be is "that guy" who has to get revived every minute.

It depends exactly how low-levelled they are, what difficulty you're on, and what their N7 rank is. If you're on Bronze, it's not cool. If you're on silver, and they're N7 level and character level are super low (I dunno, 5 or less with low N7), it's understandable. If it's on Gold, the standard rises.

That said, it shouldn't happen except at REALLY low levels, because once you have enough experience, characters function almost as well at low levels as they do at high levels. When I shifted to a new class after getting to high levels of Engineer and Vanguard, I already had enough of the basic skills down that it didn't really matter that I was using a different class - not to mention that my guns were already levelled up a lot. So I was, I dunno, a Lvl. 2 Sentinel, and I still did much better than everyone else on my team, who were all medium-high level.

I only get annoyed if it happened on Bronze. That's the noob level. People above level 12 shouldn't be hanging out on Bronze.

Silver and Gold are for experienced players, so yeah I can totally understand not keeping a low-level person on that part. Hell, Silver was painful for my three-man team and we were at least lvl 14 all around.

Now that all my classes are over ten I don't kick someone of a lower level on bronze, I can run it by myself if I have to, but silver and up they have to go

That's pretty much the case with any level based co-op game I've played, in Killing Floor and Payday you can pretty much expect an instakick if you pop into any of the harder maps or difficulty settings while you're below a certain level.

I hadn't noticed it in ME3, but I only played for one evening and won a gold victory at level 8 about 2 hours into playing it, so it seems to me like it's one of the more forgiving games for a low level.

Still, noobs will be noobs. The whole point of level based gameplay is to allow dumbtards to hide their lack of skill behind stat-based level progression, so I'm not too surprised they'd overlook N& rank altogether.

Guess that's one way to level the playingfield.

I boot the level one players in Silver matches. Manytimes they have a low N7 ranking as well.

So they have no business really being there and probably didn't know what they were doing anyway. Saves everyone from a bad experience.

It changes drastically with a couple levels though, I mean at level one you get like what? one skill point? Haven't even unlocked a second ability yet.

No booting in bronze, below level 10 in silver, I haven't played enough gold to gauge.

The only time I ever booted somebody from a game is because they were dicking around and not ready for the game. I mean a minute or two is fine, but to take 5 or more seems stupid.

If I'm playing gold or silver and I'm playing with lvl 15-20s, and someone under level 5 joins with no N7 Rank. I'm going to politely suggest he try some bronze runs. If he doesn't respond or doesn't leave I will start a votekick. If he is low level but has good N7 rating. I will give him a chance on silver. If it is gold I will ask him to switch to a higher level character. If he doesn't respond I will vote kick.

Depends. On Bronze, 100% wrong. On Silver, check the N7 rank too, and if both are low it may be justified. If Gold, I'm sorry, but use your best character and be competent please. It isn't a simple walk in the park.

Booting a player you've never played with before,simply because of a low level? That's not on. Everyone starts at level one,and the only way to raise that level is to play. To boot someone because of their low level is to deny them the (much needed) opprotunity to advance in the game.

Being someone who during the course of the Demo lost 4 maxed out characters due to weird glitches that reset my multiplayer progress, I've seen my fair share of people booting low level players. But from what I saw, it's mostly people who are in a group together who don't know how to make a private room.

I'm wondering if the people who are saying that it is wrong have actually played the multiplayer aspect of the demo. Even if you're an amazing player you can't do much on silver or gold difficulty in ME3 if your character is a low level. You can't carry people through a match, they end up getting jack experience from not getting kills and if they die and someone gets killed while trying to revive them it just hurts the team and if the team lets the guy die then he is just sitting there doing nothing and getting no exp.

If you're under level 10 don't join a silver game. I keep getting in to silver/gold games with lvl 1s, wtf.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked