Mass Effect 3: Why is Kinect needed for voice commands?

So, on the X360 version of Mass Effect 3, you can use voice commands with Kinect to command your followers, change weapons or ammo types. I see how this feature can be useful, and how it'd be terrible. BUT, I don't see why it should be exclusive to Kinect.

Does anyone have a clue as to why this is exclusive, and why you can't use any ol' mic?

It's only there, because Microsoft forced Bioware (or just possibly asked them in an friendly manner) to add it. Microsoft's been doing that with most, if not all, of the latest games (Gears of War 3 is a surprising exception). Short story: because Microsoft wanted too.

And if there's anyone out there, who for some reason says: "this can only work with Kinect!" Go play Binary Domain, which let's you give voice commands to your AI comrades, with a headset.

I think the Kinect is more accurate, I remember Rainbow 6 Vegas allowed you to issue commands to squadmates with a mic, but it was really unresponsive

The_Blue_Rider:
I think the Kinect is more accurate, I remember Rainbow 6 Vegas allowed you to issue commands to squadmates with a mic, but it was really unresponsive

Wait, so a mic sitting an inch from your face is less accurate than a box sitting 10 feet or so away from you picking up area sounds? wat?

Kinect offers an out-of-box Voice API that allows the developers to map voice commands directly to in-game actions, while Kinect software (and possibly hardware) handles all the actual work. Kinect is not required to do voice, but if you use it, you can implement voice commands without spending any time or money on actual voice recognition. It allows them to offer an optional, cool feature with little to no cost to develop.

Or at least this is the official explanation.

longboardfan:

The_Blue_Rider:

Wait, so a mic sitting an inch from your face is less accurate than a box sitting 10 feet or so away from you picking up area sounds? wat?

Just because its closer doesnt make it better at voice recognition you know

EDIT: That being said, im not an expert on the Kinects systems, I was merely offering a suggestion. In my experience voice commands through standard mics suck

The_Blue_Rider:

No Kinect is less accurate and voice commands are always unresponsive.

They lock it down for Kinect so you will buy that shit, it's really sad we even haveto point that out.

Kinect has voice recognition and translation software in built so if we compare Mass Effect 3 to Binary Domain, similar titles with similar functions only one uses Kinect, the other uses the mic we get.

Mass Effect 3: Liara! Warp! - Liara uses Warp
Binary Domain: Cain! Help! - Cain: "Hold? I can't do that right now" (confused face)

or maybe

Mass Effect 3: Open Door! - Door opens
Binary Domain: No! - Faye Lee: "What? Did you just shout me? What do you want?"

Yeah, it really is that big a difference.

I kind of like the Kinect voice commands. When it comes to opening doors it is more superfluous than pressing a button, but when it comes to barking orders to my squad-mates it adds a little something extra.

That said, I wouldn't buy Kinect solely on that ability. It's a nice touch that's all.

In regard to the topic, I know for a fact that my headset mic is waaaay more crappy in terms of recognising my voice than Kinect is (and my Kinect unit is sitting five feet away as opposed to five centimeters). I think it boils down to the fidelity of the hardware.

I take it no one here has experienced the voice commands (using a mic) of Tom Clancy's End War. While a mediocre-good RTS for a console, that game has one of the best voice recognition systems I've seen to date, Kinect be damned.

Houmand:
Does anyone have a clue as to why this is exclusive, and why you can't use any ol' mic?

I'm fairly certain it's because the Kinect includes speech recognition software, not just a microphone. So if Bioware wanted to include voice commands in Mass Effect 3 that could be used with just a microphone, they'd have to write their own speech recognition (and use up development time on something that's only a throwaway feature). Using the Kinect, all that work has been done for them.

It's also possible that Microsoft is offering some sort of incentive to publishers to use the Kinect.

Nico4:
And if there's anyone out there, who for some reason says: "this can only work with Kinect!" Go play Binary Domain, which let's you give voice commands to your AI comrades, with a headset.

Really? That sounds like it makes it even more rage-inducing when your squadmates tell you to fuck off after giving them an order. Does it help if you start yelling at them? :)

Possibly processing power, as voice commands are quite expensive, and it's more important to focus on graphics etc. If they'd really wanted to make it inclusive though I'm sure they could have done it with only an xbox.

chimpzy:

Nico4:

Really? That sounds like it makes it even more rage-inducing when your squadmates tell you to fuck off after giving them an order. Does it help if you start yelling at them? :)

no idea... Gotta find out!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked