Things they should make game adaptations of

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I mean anything. Television, movies, books, history, ANYTHING.

I think an adaptation of some of the more grim parts of the Bible. Remember those dumb bible games from the 80s. Non of them picked anything that would make a good game. How about the invasion of Canaan? That was brutal.

The Walking Dead.

One bite and you're finished. Ammo is super scarce. If you're gonna be unnecessarily loud (shotgun), you're gonna attract walkers. Night is pitchblack, like in STALKER SoC.

It's all about stealth and cleverly using terrain (ladders and elevations) to your advantage to avoid hordes.

You might live if one walker grabs you from the front and you manage to stick a knife in his eye-socket. If there are two in close proximity you're pretty much dead if one manages to grab you.

Oh and you have a stamina bar; can't run forever, can't climb forever, can't wrestle with walkers forever.

+ limited weight carry capacity

Basically this game should be friggin hard, but fair. Like Dark Souls.

I would like to see a RPG set in the Discworld from the Terry Pratchett books. I love this Universe.

Nextwave, i loved that comic.
I want that insanity back...*sob*

N3squ1ck:
I would like to see a RPG set in the Discworld from the Terry Pratchett books. I love this Universe.

Just double checking here, but are you aware there are 3 Discworld games already?

Yeah, I know, they're adventure games, but I'd prefer another adventure, or action adventure to an RPG. The idea of Vimes, Rincewind, or whoever doing monotonous grinding is completely against what the series is about - great dialog. Unless the game was activelly poking fun at rpgs (which it's about time we had a major commercial video game taking the complete and utter piss out of RPGs).

As for me, a few years back on this forum I suggested a Waterworld MMORPG. You get your own ship, and you go around the waterworld fighting other pirates in search of land, or water colonies. Going underwater to search the old world, trading slaves, etc.

Old thread is here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.179979-Poll-Waterworld-The-MMO-RTS-Good-Idea#5265420

@Terramax
I know that there are the adventures, but sadly, it is not my favourite genre, to put it like that.
Nevertheless I tried to get them somehow anyways, since I was way too young when they first were released, but I failed and didn't find anything, this is a few years back, so I dunno if that has changed in the slightest.
Maybe I should check ebay again.

Starship Troopers. The jingoistic book, not the jingoistic-in-an-ostensibly-"ironic"-fashion movie. Every military sci-fi game already apes it; might as well go back to the source. I guarantee you that any Mobile Infantryman would whup the Master Chief in a fight anyway.

@N3 - Yeah, the first two are hit and miss. Some love, some hate. Discworld Noir on the other hand is a fantastic game to this day. If you like the new Discworld books with the Watch, be sure to play this one.

@Hal10k - There's already been a starship troopers game. Sad to say, it was released in at a time where we didn't have powerful enough computers to realise that epic film in a video game. The game itself was buggy as hell (no pun intended).

I've recently been very interested in finding a game about wilderness survival. Like, you get stranded on an island/mountain/lost in a forest/ etc. and have nothing and have to try to survive until you get rescued or try to find civilization yourself. The only game I've found like this is Stranded 2, which is fun but its kind of old, and not really very realistic or varied.

A mainstream, fairly realistic survival sim would be awesome imo.

Also, I really like the first commenters idea of the Walking Dead. I'd totally play that.

N3squ1ck:

I think it would make a great MMO: Imagine the Mended Drum as a PVP arena. Imagine all of the quests that could come out of Unseen University, The Patrician's Palace, The Many Guilds (yes, including useless ones like Barbers and, musicians). That's just AM too, imagine starting zones in Uberwald, The Ramtops, Pseudopolis, Sto Lat, Quirm, Klatch, CW-Continent...Also I would imagine a Discworld MMO would feature the best Death system (especially if they can get Christopher Lee and really work his ass with novels-worth of dialogue. I would love to see Death be a sort of Psycho Mantis, commenting on your quests and achievements and whatnot; maybe even offering his own quests.)

A single player Skyrim style game set in Middle Earth, with the option to travel as a party of up to 9 with Dragon Age Origins style combat. With a massive open ended quest, origin stories, the chance to replay the journey of the Fellowship, etc. etc.

Aesthetics of the LoTR films, canon of the books.

It's literally all I ask for.

A single player Skyrim style game set in Middle Earth, with the option to travel as a party of up to 9 with Dragon Age Origins style combat. With a massive open ended quest, origin stories, the chance to replay the journey of the Fellowship, etc. etc.

Aesthetics of the LoTR films, canon of the books.

It's literally all I ask for.

Babylon 5 - It could be an RPG, an RTS or a turn based strategy game

Crank - beat'em up, fps, third person action, or a combination of everything

Community - RPG or adventure

Planescape - RPG

Terramax:
@Hal10k - There's already been a starship troopers game. Sad to say, it was released in at a time where we didn't have powerful enough computers to realise that epic film in a video game. The game itself was buggy as hell (no pun intended).

Like I said, the book, not the pseudo-satirical movie. The movie has untrained weirdos armed with cloth vests and BB guns. The book has professional soldiers in flying power armor with enough firepower to level medium-sized cities.

The Eternaut

That name alone makes the world tremble. You will be surprised how many people/movies/games take notes from that Argentinian comic made in the 1957

Manji187:
The Walking Dead.

One bite and you're finished. Ammo is super scarce. If you're gonna be unnecessarily loud (shotgun), you're gonna attract walkers. Night is pitchblack, like in STALKER SoC.

It's all about stealth and cleverly using terrain (ladders and elevations) to your advantage to avoid hordes.

You might live if one walker grabs you from the front and you manage to stick a knife in his eye-socket. If there are two in close proximity you're pretty much dead if one manages to grab you.

Oh and you have a stamina bar; can't run forever, can't climb forever, can't wrestle with walkers forever.

Seconded. I'm imagining a sort of Dead Island/Resident Evil 4 crossover. Bright colours in the day, pitch black night time. Third person, maybe over the shoulder for shooting and all of the above.

It would need to be really hard. You could create your own character and if it had a co-op online mode you would band together with other survivors but this would increase the possibility of attracting walkers, the strain on rations, someone getting infected. I'd like to try and include the morality of mercy killing someone or not letting people join up with you but since it's a game it'd be pretty hard to implement.

I'd love to see the X-Wing books made into a game(s)

Epic space battles, a cause worth fighting for

but it'd be made by Lucas, so on second thoughts, no leave them alone!

Terramax:
@N3 - Yeah, the first two are hit and miss. Some love, some hate. Discworld Noir on the other hand is a fantastic game to this day. If you like the new Discworld books with the Watch, be sure to play this one.

Besides if you want a game of the Starship Troopers movie there is always Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon.

Myself, I have always thought that a game based around The Most Dangerous Game would be neat. Sort of a stealth survival game.

I think the perfect IP for a MMO is Paranoia, I figure it would be sort of a F2P model but with permadeath for when you run through your allocation of clones.

Also a proper Shadowrun game along the lines of VtM:B.

BiggyShackleton:

Manji187:
The Walking Dead.

Seconded. I'm imagining a sort of Dead Island/Resident Evil 4 crossover. Bright colours in the day, pitch black night time. Third person, maybe over the shoulder for shooting and all of the above.

It would need to be really hard. You could create your own character and if it had a co-op online mode you would band together with other survivors but this would increase the possibility of attracting walkers, the strain on rations, someone getting infected. I'd like to try and include the morality of mercy killing someone or not letting people join up with you but since it's a game it'd be pretty hard to implement.

Well, implementing the morality of mercy killing is pretty hard, but not letting people join up is pretty easy. It could be a charisma/ persuasion/ perception-awareness mini game. I'm talking single player campaign here.

Suppose some guy wants to join your team. He's burly...has scars on his face and what looks to be a prison tattoo. He's also packing a piece.

If you straight out tell him "We don't want your kind.." he might get violent and shoot you. If you bring up phony reasons he could call you out on your bullshit. But if you've witnessed his actions (how he abandoned his former team and even sacrificed one of his own to live) you could genuinely say something like "You're not a team player, if in the heat of the moment you think only of yourself...you're a liability. A ticking time bomb. An incident waiting to happen." This might also anger him, causing him to go alpha male on you. In the end, if all else fails you could take him out with a quick draw (if you are skilled with guns). Some people are simply immune to reason...but not to bullets.

Other people may be sweet-talking backstabbers, whose true colors are revealed in time. Some people may be genuinely good, but they simply cave in under extreme pressure. The thing is, you have to trust and rely on them. So if they flip at the wrong moment, your team's chances of survival drop.

I wonder how many people would go the "Daryl" route: a professional loner. Relying on others only if there is no other choice. Although in the series he is slowly becoming more "domesticated". Imagine some group wanting you to join because of your skills (stealth crossbow kills) and you say "Nah, I move faster on my own" and "I don't feel like babysitting you people".

I think the psychological/ moral dimension could turn out to be more interesting than the actual zombie combat and avoidance gameplay.

N3squ1ck:

I assume you know there already exist three Discworld adventure games?

growing older I have come to the conclusion that most things should stick to what they are. Most game adaptions are no better than most Movie adaptions imo.

That said I would love to see a Warhammer game that is NOT Space Marines HOOOOO!

For one a Mass Effect style Dark Eldar game could be cool. Imagine the Morality system: Evil or Bad. :P

Or a Total War: Warhammer Fantasy :D I call it Total Warhammer :P

You know what they shouldn't make a game adaptation of?
War.
Imagine how insensitive it would be.

OT: But seriously,

KingofMadCows:
Crank - beat'em up, fps, third person action, or a combination of everything

This. Imagine that.

There needs to be an MMO Action-Adventure game based on Avatar. I'm convinced that that's the absolute best possible thing that could be done with that movie.

I mean really, Avatar should have been told through an immersive, interactive medium with an increased focus on exploration and a decreased focus on story. That's how it was meant to be told.

Cats. The musical or the species. I don't mind which.

OT: I want a good adaptation of the X Men in a game. I know the arcade game is supposed to be good but I want something a bit more substantial than that. It's not really an adaptation, it's just a license.

I would like more video games based on ancient Egyptian mythology. I guess an Egyptian version of God of War or something. Egyptian mythology is one of the darkest, most violent yet fascinating mythologies and I'm surprised more games haven't done much with that. Tomb Raider 4 sort of did it, but pretty half-arsed.

EDIT: Also, a western RPG that takes place in ancient Briton. Can you imagine being a blue-woaded warrior hunting through the forest? Taking up arms alongside your brothers and ambushing a troop of Romans? Or maybe, if you want to play a more evil character, you could sell yourself out for gold and riches and join with the Romans. Act as a sort of guide for them, telling them secrets of your people and where they can be found. Avoiding traps and ambush points in the forests and assisting in the hunting of Druids. There are so many awesome ideas similar to this that video game developers could really use.

I'd like to see an RPG of Heroes, not an MMO, an RPG

Hazy992:
Cats. The musical or the species. I don't mind which.

OT: I want a good adaptation of the X Men in a game. I know the arcade game is supposed to be good but I want something a bit more substantial than that. It's not really an adaptation, it's just a license.

Well there is

I wouldn't mind seeing a game of the manga/movies Crows Zero.

You'd start off by having a stupidly large amount of customization options for your fighter. Then you'd have to fight your way to the top through the different classes, forming alliances and betraying people, with the occasional huge fight. Then you could either start a new person and try to take the top from your old team, or continue until your team graduates.

With destructible environments(windows and weak walls, etc) and the brutality of the Fight Club game, it'd offer endless replay value, and would be different each time you played.

Oly J:

As in superheroes? Try Freedom Force (and it's sequel). Kind of a Baldur's Gate style squad control game, real time but with pause to issue commands. I loved those games.

I would love an Action-RPG with space flying set in the Firefly 'verse. Too much to ask? Yeah, probably.

Bigpoint are actually developing an ASOIAF MMO at the moment. And i think Westeros would be a great setting for a player-driven persistent world, with full PvP loot, non-combat roles, political system, housing, guild towns etc. It's a very popular franchise now with all sorts of amazing locations people would want to see and live in, or conquer.

But it will probably turn out to be the standard "bring me 10 bear asses" and instance grinding crap.

9thRequiem:

Oly J:

As in superheroes? Try Freedom Force (and it's sequel). Kind of a Baldur's Gate style squad control game, real time but with pause to issue commands. I loved those games.

I would love an Action-RPG with space flying set in the Firefly 'verse. Too much to ask? Yeah, probably.

I actually meant "Heroes" the TV series, I think that's a workable concept

Aurgelmir:

N3squ1ck:

I assume you know there already exist three Discworld adventure games?

growing older I have come to the conclusion that most things should stick to what they are. Most game adaptions are no better than most Movie adaptions imo.

That said I would love to see a Warhammer game that is NOT Space Marines HOOOOO!

For one a Mass Effect style Dark Eldar game could be cool. Imagine the Morality system: Evil or Bad. :P

Or a Total War: Warhammer Fantasy :D I call it Total Warhammer :P

I reckon a Mass Effect style game called Inquisition could be good. You play as an Inquisitor of course and it's based all around the Star Child plot and getting to Terra and gathering the Star Children at the Golden Throne, using the webway and the warp, finding a way into the Black Library, walking around a creepy chaos-possessed Blackstone Fortress. Cypher would be there on your team driving the plot, a Harlequin as a squadmate etc., you're being hunted by the Grey Knights. Tech, Combat and Psyker abilities. It would need a better melee system than Mass Effect though.

But c'mon a trilogy of games leading up onto a Suicide Mission-style assault on Earth to get to the Golden Throne, it'd be perfect. Plus Paragon/Renegade style stuff could be there.

SBURB. Even if you hate/never heard of Homestuck, you've gotta admit that a game that challenges you to personally grow in ways you've never thought about constructed on rogue-like mechanics in an open setting containing worlds would be just to fun.

endtherapture:

I reckon a Mass Effect style game called Inquisition could be good. You play as an Inquisitor of course and it's based all around the Star Child plot and getting to Terra and gathering the Star Children at the Golden Throne, using the webway and the warp, finding a way into the Black Library, walking around a creepy chaos-possessed Blackstone Fortress. Cypher would be there on your team driving the plot, a Harlequin as a squadmate etc., you're being hunted by the Grey Knights. Tech, Combat and Psyker abilities. It would need a better melee system than Mass Effect though.

But c'mon a trilogy of games leading up onto a Suicide Mission-style assault on Earth to get to the Golden Throne, it'd be perfect. Plus Paragon/Renegade style stuff could be there.

Games Workshop would never go for it. They'd have to confirm/deny the Star Child theory at in the end, and they seem very "laissez-faire" about that kinda thing. Plus there would be massive fan backlash(where it would be directed is anyones guess).

But I'm still behind the idea of more 40k games. As long as they're handled well, and we don't get any more like Fire Warrior.

PBMcNair:

endtherapture:

Games Workshop would never go for it. They'd have to confirm/deny the Star Child theory at in the end, and they seem very "laissez-faire" about that kinda thing. Plus there would be massive fan backlash(where it would be directed is anyones guess).

But I'm still behind the idea of more 40k games. As long as they're handled well, and we don't get any more like Fire Warrior.

Blah, they need to do something with 40k. There hasn't been any upheaval in the universe since the Eye of Terror campaign and that was back in 2004 or something. They've got this whole Star Child/Sensei/Illuminati thing, plus the Golden Throne is broken, major characters fates are unknown (eg. Uldrad the Farseer) but they will never do anything about it and 40K will just get boring. There's only so much constant war that can happen...

Fables, the fantastic comic book series. I don't know how they'd do it, because I could see action, RPG, adventure, RTS, or a sim-city type game coming out of this, but being able to play as Bigby or Flycatcher or whoever would be awesome, and there's pretty much the entirety of the world's folklore to mine for new content

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked